BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My 1988 Charts, Pet Shop Boys, & the Second Summer Of Love ...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 17th March 2020, 11:37 AM
Post #81
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Bjork @ Mar 17 2020, 06:55 AM) *
pretty sure Madness continued having hits until much later, I remember a song called Lovestruck that peaked at #10 in the late 90s I think

I always thought that was more of a comeback a bit like they following the Olympics ceremony in 2012, albums wise anyway.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th March 2020, 02:21 PM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Mar 16 2020, 06:45 PM) *
Great wee track - their most famous legacy track?

Anyways great to hear Madness have a NE in 1988, I assume this didn't chart officially, always thought 1986 was the last of them!

It peaked at 44 and then they split up, Suggs had an early/mid 90's solo career with lots of hits following a career revival with It Must Be Love charting again, but the band stayed split until 1998 (I think) as Bjork said when they had an offiicial comeback tour and album (I was there for the tour) and big hit with Lovestruck, though to be honest they'd never really dropped out of public notice with the back catalogue and Suggs' solo career. They've had plenty of chart entries right up until the end of the noughties, and albums still chart even these days, all helped by periodic TV moments like the Olympics and the Buck Pal gig, and touring. They've had a dozen chart entries in my charts with new material since Lovestruck, though it's been 3 or 4 years since the last stuff... smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th March 2020, 02:44 PM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

20th March 1988

It's a new entry as Heart finally gets a single issue, slightly remixed and with a fab Ian McKellan vampire video, giving the Pet Shop Boys a 7th chart-topper, and the 3rd off Actually. Another track that's been around a while too, from a great album too, has a sudden leap to 2 from 52 as Father Figure gets maximum appreciation belatedly for George Michael. Another Pet Shop boys song off the soon-to-come album goes top 10 for Eighth Wonder, I'm Not Scared.

Debbie Gibson gets an instant top 20 at 17 with Only In My Dreams returning on reissue, making it a twice top 20 track in two consecutive years, as Brenda Russell leaps into the 30 with Piano In The Dark, and The Clash take I Fought The Law back into the 30 9 years on. Sinitta shock releases a decent pop single, Cross My Broken Heart, and gets her biggest hit at 36 as she goes full SAW-pop, as opposed to cheesy novelty pop.

a-ha return with another melodramatic goodie, Stay On These Roads, Bros Drop The Boy and drop the quality, Jellybean's back with newie Just A Mirage, Pebbles is back with Girlfriend, Taylor Dayne has a low-key follow-up to a number one, Zodiac Mindwarp continues with some sci-fi glamrock entering, and Tiffany and Wet Wet Wet under-achieve down the bottom-end of the chart. Debuting, though, is future-massive rap track Push It from Salt 'N' Pepa, not a duo despite appearances as DJ Spinderella doesn't get mentioned in the group name. Unless she's "N".

1 ( NEW ) HEART Pet Shop Boys
2 ( 52 ) FATHER FIGURE George Michael
3 ( 1 ) JOE LE TAXI Vanessa Paradis
4 ( 2 ) BEAT DIS Bomb The Bass
5 ( 5 ) LOVE IS CONTAGIOUS Taja Seville
6 ( 11 ) I'M NOT SCARED Eighth Wonder
7 ( 3 ) I WANT TO BE YOUR MAN Roger
8 ( 4 ) DOCTORIN' THE HOUSE Coldcut/ Yazz & The Plastic Population
9 ( 12 ) EVERYWHERE Fleetwood Mac
10 ( 6 ) THESE DREAMS/NEVER Heart

11 ( 9 ) THAT'S THE WAY IT IS Mel & Kim
12 ( 8 ) HEART OF GOLD Johnny Hates Jazz
13 ( 21 ) DON’T TURN AROUND Aswad
14 ( 14 ) CRASH The Primitives
15 ( 7 ) LOVE CHANGES (EVERYTHING) Climie Fisher
16 ( 10 ) I GET WEAK Belinda Carlisle
17 ( NEW ) ONLY IN MY DREAMS Debbie Gibson
18 ( 30 ) I KNOW YOU GOT SOUL Eric B & Rakim
19 ( 15 ) TELL IT TO MY HEART Taylor Dayne
20 ( 22 ) RECKLESS Afrika Bambaata/ UB40

21 ( 13 ) CRAZY Icehouse
22 ( 18 ) HOW MEN ARE Aztec Camera
23 ( 20 ) MAN IN THE MIRROR MIchael Jackson
24 ( 28 ) DEVIL INSIDE INXS
25 ( 26 ) I WALK THE EARTH Voice Of The Beehive
26 ( 16 ) DOMINION Sisters Of Mercy
27 ( 19 ) SAY IT AGAIN Jermaine Stewart
28 ( 73 ) I FOUGHT THE LAW The Clash
29 ( 69 ) PIANO IN THE DARK Brenda Russell
30 ( 34 ) SHIP OF FOOLS Erasure

31 ( 23 ) I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY Kylie Minogue
32 ( 32 ) SUGAR SUGAR (CANDYFLOSS MIX)/(ORIGINAL VERSION) The Archies
33 ( 31 ) HELLO GOODBYE The Beatles
34 ( 38 ) I PRONOUNCE YOU Madness
35 ( 17 ) SUEDEHEAD Morrissey
36 ( NEW ) CROSS MY BROKEN HEART Sinitta
37 ( 40 ) TOGETHER FOREVER Rick Astley
38 ( 35 ) WHAT HAVE I DONE (TO DESERVE THIS) Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
39 ( 36 ) YOU WIN AGAIN The Bee Gees
40 ( 25 ) SPY IN THE HOUSE OF LOVE Was (Not Was)

41 ( 50 ) JUST LIKE PARADISE David Lee Roth
42 ( 27 ) TAKE MY BREATH AWAY Berlin
43 ( 42 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Pet Shop Boys
44 ( NEW ) DREAMING Glen Goldsmith
45 ( 29 ) GIMME HOPE JO'ANNA Eddy Grant
46 ( 45 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
47 ( 47 ) THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL Michael Jackson
48 ( 66 ) I WANT HER Keith Sweat
49 ( 37 ) WHEN WILL I BE FAMOUS Bros
50 ( 53 ) CARS AND GIRLS Prefab Sprout

51 ( 24 ) MY GENERATION The Who
52 ( NEW ) STAY ON THESE ROADS a-ha
53 ( 39 ) WHEN WE WAS FAB George Harrison
54 ( 54 ) LIVE MY LIFE Boy George
55 ( 41 ) THE JACK THAT HOUSE BUILT Jack 'n' Chill
56 ( 61 ) RIDE LIKE THE WIND Saxon
57 ( 56 ) YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' The Righteous Brothers
58 ( 44 ) ROK DA HOUSE Beatmasters/ Cookie Crew
59 ( NEW ) BASS (HOW LOW CAN YOU GO) Simon Harris
60 ( 59 ) BAD Michael Jackson

61 ( 43 ) I DON'T MIND AT ALL Bourgeois Tag
62 ( 55 ) SHAME Eurythmics
63 ( 62 ) FAMILY AFFAIR/RUNNIN’ AWAY Sly & The Family Stone
64 ( 33 ) CRAZY FOR YOUR LOVE The Bee Gees
65 ( NEW ) DROP THE BOY Bros
66 ( 60 ) SIGN YOUR NAME Terence Trent D'Arby
67 ( 67 ) RENT Pet Shop Boys
68 ( NEW ) JUST A MIRAGE Jellybean/ Adele Bertei
69 ( NEW ) PUSH IT Salt 'n' Pepa
70 ( 70 ) HUMAN Human League

71 ( NEW ) GIRLFRIEND Pebbles
72 ( NEW ) PROVE YOUR LOVE Taylor Dayne
73 ( NEW ) PLANET GIRL Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction
74 ( NEW ) COULD'VE BEEN Tiffany
75 ( NEW ) TEMPTATION Wet Wet Wet
76 ( NEW ) ONE MORE CHANCE Pet Shop Boys

Playlist oldies of the week
1 DANNY’S SONG Anne Murray
2 ONE MORE CHANCE Pet Shop Boys
3 EMOTIONS Samantha Sang

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 19th March 2020, 03:51 PM
Post #84
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

great chart! and unexpected top 2! Quite like climb for Father Figure, the song peaked for me over Xmas I think
Crazy how popular PSB were that they made #1 with Heart, which was the 4th single off Actually... for me, it's ok but not on the same league as Rent for instance or the other 1987 singles

great newies too, loved Debbie Gibson as a kid and Only in my Dreams is a perfect little pop song

and there's 2 of my fav of the year among the newies... loved Pebbles-Girlfriend, should have been a #1 smile.gif had she charted before? think this was the first I heard from her, I recall a couple of later singles but nothing from before... the other one is Push it by Salt N Pepa, amazing track

decent songs by Tiffany, A-ha, Taylor Dayne, Bros and even Sinitta biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th March 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Mar 19 2020, 03:51 PM) *
great chart! and unexpected top 2! Quite like climb for Father Figure, the song peaked for me over Xmas I think
Crazy how popular PSB were that they made #1 with Heart, which was the 4th single off Actually... for me, it's ok but not on the same league as Rent for instance or the other 1987 singles

great newies too, loved Debbie Gibson as a kid and Only in my Dreams is a perfect little pop song

and there's 2 of my fav of the year among the newies... loved Pebbles-Girlfriend, should have been a #1 smile.gif had she charted before? think this was the first I heard from her, I recall a couple of later singles but nothing from before... the other one is Push it by Salt N Pepa, amazing track

decent songs by Tiffany, A-ha, Taylor Dayne, Bros and even Sinitta biggrin.gif

Thanks Bjork, glad you like so much in the chart. The Pet Shop Boys themselves don't always do Heart on their setlists, it's more of an occasional treat for them, but I still adore it - I prefer it to Always On My Mind by quite some distance, for example, but they always have to do that one it's so popular. Sadly, I'm expecting them to postpone the concert I have booked for June sad.gif

Yes, Pebbles is a debut - I thought I'd already charted it when I visitd the States in late 87, but I just checked and no I didn't! Good single I've not heard in nearly 30 years or so...! I always thought Pebbles should have done a track called Bam Bam heehee.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th March 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #86
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 19 2020, 02:21 PM) *
It peaked at 44 and then they split up, Suggs had an early/mid 90's solo career with lots of hits following a career revival with It Must Be Love charting again, but the band stayed split until 1998 (I think) as Bjork said when they had an offiicial comeback tour and album (I was there for the tour) and big hit with Lovestruck, though to be honest they'd never really dropped out of public notice with the back catalogue and Suggs' solo career. They've had plenty of chart entries right up until the end of the noughties, and albums still chart even these days, all helped by periodic TV moments like the Olympics and the Buck Pal gig, and touring. They've had a dozen chart entries in my charts with new material since Lovestruck, though it's been 3 or 4 years since the last stuff... smile.gif

Thanks Pop, love a quick overview of classic pop bands, so many instant classics in their early days.

Your chart symbolises how the quality in the chart was increasing after a dire 1986/87 period imo.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 27th March 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #87
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

27th March 1988

It's 2 weeks on top for Heart as Pet Shop Boys stop George getting another chart-topper with Father Figure. Highest new entry, as per usual for the Beatles 20th anniversary reissues, is the Fabs Lady Madonna at 6 - never one of my fave Beatles singles, you'd have to go back to Paperback Writer to find one I loved less, but then again a lesser-Beatles track is still top quality. Aswad finally get that deserved top 10, with Don't Turn Around, a-ha rocket into the 20 with the fab Stay On These Roads, and The Clash peak higher 2nd time around with I Fought The Law - I still prefer the Bobby Fuller Four original though.

After a lesser hit, the Nanas are back on form with I Want You Back at 35, Simon Harris has a big ol Bass climb into the 40, how high can he go? Quo ain't complainin' that 20 years on from Pictures Of Matchstick Men they still make my top 40, The Adventures bring their epic ballad Broken Land in at 62 - their best record - and errr Engelbert Humperdinck returns to my chart for the first time in oooh 16 years with a cover of the Glenn Medeiros cover of the George Benson original. I must have been getting nostalgic for the old crooners.

Natalie Cole is back with her soon-to-be biggest hit 13 years after debuting with This Will Be - Pink cadillac was a Bruce Springsteen song, which is always a good sign for a new track. Nina Simone is also back 20 years on with a 20-year-pld song, Mr Bojangles being a Jerry Jeff Walker 1968 future standard which became a hit for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in the US, and the signature song of Sammy Davis Jr, and a future Robbie Williams crooning goodie. Finally, Iron Maiden ask, Can I Play With Madness? Well, Madness are at 29 so it wasn't out of the question - sadly it never happened, though, I would have enjoyed seeing them do Baggy Trousers....

1 ( 1 ) HEART Pet Shop Boys
2 ( 2 ) FATHER FIGURE George Michael
3 ( 3 ) JOE LE TAXI Vanessa Paradis
4 ( 9 ) EVERYWHERE Fleetwood Mac
5 ( 6 ) I'M NOT SCARED Eighth Wonder
6 ( NEW ) LADY MADONNA The Beatles
7 ( 7 ) I WANT TO BE YOUR MAN Roger
8 ( 13 ) DON’T TURN AROUND Aswad
9 ( 4 ) BEAT DIS Bomb The Bass
10 ( 10 ) THESE DREAMS/NEVER Heart

11 ( 5 ) LOVE IS CONTAGIOUS Taja Seville
12 ( 11 ) THAT'S THE WAY IT IS Mel & Kim
13 ( 17 ) ONLY IN MY DREAMS Debbie Gibson
14 ( 52 ) STAY ON THESE ROADS a-ha
15 ( 8 ) DOCTORIN' THE HOUSE Coldcut/ Yazz & The Plastic Population
16 ( 15 ) LOVE CHANGES (EVERYTHING) Climie Fisher
17 ( 29 ) PIANO IN THE DARK Brenda Russell
18 ( 12 ) HEART OF GOLD Johnny Hates Jazz
19 ( 16 ) I GET WEAK Belinda Carlisle
20 ( 28 ) I FOUGHT THE LAW The Clash

21 ( 18 ) I KNOW YOU GOT SOUL Eric B & Rakim
22 ( 20 ) RECKLESS Afrika Bambaata/ UB40
23 ( 44 ) DREAMING Glen Goldsmith
24 ( 24 ) DEVIL INSIDE INXS
25 ( 30 ) SHIP OF FOOLS Erasure
26 ( 19 ) TELL IT TO MY HEART Taylor Dayne
27 ( 36 ) CROSS MY BROKEN HEART Sinitta
28 ( 23 ) MAN IN THE MIRROR MIchael Jackson
29 ( 34 ) I PRONOUNCE YOU Madness
30 ( 14 ) CRASH The Primitives

31 ( 21 ) CRAZY Icehouse
33 ( 22 ) HOW MEN ARE Aztec Camera
34 ( 33 ) HELLO GOODBYE The Beatles
35 ( NEW ) I WANT YOU BACK Bananarama
36 ( 37 ) TOGETHER FOREVER Rick Astley
37 ( 27 ) SAY IT AGAIN Jermaine Stewart
38 ( 59 ) BASS (HOW LOW CAN YOU GO) Simon Harris
39 ( NEW ) AIN'T COMPLAININ' Status Quo
40 ( 48 ) I WANT HER Keith Sweat

41 ( 38 ) WHAT HAVE I DONE (TO DESERVE THIS) Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
42 ( 39 ) YOU WIN AGAIN The Bee Gees
43 ( 43 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Pet Shop Boys
44 ( 50 ) CARS AND GIRLS Prefab Sprout
45 ( 31 ) I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY Kylie Minogue
46 ( 46 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
47 ( 25 ) I WALK THE EARTH Voice Of The Beehive
48 ( 47 ) THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL Michael Jackson
49 ( 75 ) TEMPTATION Wet Wet Wet
50 ( 40 ) SPY IN THE HOUSE OF LOVE Was (Not Was)

51 ( 65 ) DROP THE BOY Bros
52 ( 71 ) GIRLFRIEND Pebbles
53 ( 72 ) PROVE YOUR LOVE Taylor Dayne
54 ( 42 ) TAKE MY BREATH AWAY Berlin
55 ( 68 ) JUST A MIRAGE Jellybean/ Adele Bertei
56 ( 26 ) DOMINION Sisters Of Mercy
57 ( 57 ) YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' The Righteous Brothers
58 ( 35 ) SUEDEHEAD Morrissey
59 ( 74 ) COULD'VE BEEN Tiffany
60 ( 60 ) BAD Michael Jackson

61 ( 49 ) WHEN WILL I BE FAMOUS Bros
62 ( NEW ) BROKEN LAND The Adventures
63 ( 63 ) FAMILY AFFAIR/RUNNIN’ AWAY Sly & The Family Stone
64 ( 62 ) SHAME Eurythmics
65 ( NEW ) GENE AND JIM ARE INTO SHAKES Gene and Jim
66 ( NEW ) NOTHING'S GONNA CHANGE MY LOVE FOR YOU Engelbert Humperdinck
67 ( 67 ) RENT Pet Shop Boys
68 ( 41 ) JUST LIKE PARADISE David Lee Roth
69 ( 69 ) PUSH IT Salt 'n' Pepa
70 ( 55 ) THE JACK THAT HOUSE BUILT Jack 'n' Chill

71 ( 70 ) HUMAN Human League
72 ( NEW ) PINK CADILLAC Natalie Cole
73 ( 58 ) ROK DA HOUSE Beatmasters/ Cookie Crew
74 ( NEW ) MR BOJANGLES Nina Simone
75 ( NEW ) CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS Iron Maiden

Playlist faves of that week
1 ISLAND GIRL Elton John
2 DANCING IN THE CITY Marshall-Hain
3 MORE THAN A FEELING Boston

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 28th March 2020, 07:06 AM
Post #88
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Bananarama's I want you back was great, a return to form after the disappointing I Can't help it
my fav of the newies was Adventures-Broken land, such a great little song... just checked wiki, and it says its the most-played song on BBC Radio 1 in 1988!!
is this true?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 29th March 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #89
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Yeh the Adventurers track was brillant, love hearing classics like this and finding out about a band I had never heard of.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd April 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #90
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Mar 28 2020, 08:06 AM) *
Bananarama's I want you back was great, a return to form after the disappointing I Can't help it
my fav of the newies was Adventures-Broken land, such a great little song... just checked wiki, and it says its the most-played song on BBC Radio 1 in 1988!!
is this true?

Ooh not sure if it was the most-played track of 1988 but I can sort of believe it - it was around a while and had a slow climb without hitting higher than 20, so it wasn't over-exposed smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd April 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #91
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Mar 29 2020, 03:47 PM) *
Yeh the Adventurers track was brillant, love hearing classics like this and finding out about a band I had never heard of.

goodo, I do love sharing my love of music smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd April 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #92
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

3rd April 1988

It's 3 weeks on top for Pet Shop Boys' Heart - keeping their own I'm Not Scared off the top, peaking now at 2 for Eighth Wonder, with new top 10 climbs for a-ha, Debbie Gibson and Brenda Russell. Top 40 climbs for Wet Wet Wet (their biggest since Wishing I was Lucky), Pebbles, Jellybean's 4th, The Adventures, and two new entries, Paul Hardcastle returning with a cover of Junior Walker's fabulous Walk In The Night at 38, and Eurythmics following-up the sublime Shame with the more-perfunctory I Need A Man at 40 ( a much bigger hit for them in the UK charts - go figure!).

Neal Hefti brings the 22-year-old TV theme into the charts for the first time (though it would have charted in 1967 for me had I been charting as a kiddie), probably during one of the regular TV-repeat-runs of the show, in at 49. Jermaine Stewart is beside himself as he gets lucky at 54, and Wally Jump Jnr follows-up at 59. Danny Wilson return with the yet-to-hit Mary's Prayer, which had charted for me in 1987, Cher insists We All Sleep Alone at 66 - I'll let you know in 4 years if that's true - and Smokey Robinson extends his chart run to a sweet 19 years, Cher to 17 years. Robert Palmer pops in briefly with Sweet Lies, and Hazell Dean is back 4 years after a couple of biggie SAW hits - with another SAW hit. I saw her in a gay bar performance back in the early 00's, back when local bars & clubs were an actual thing before topping-up booze at home, internet phones, Grindr and other factors combined to kill them off.

2 ( 5 ) I'M NOT SCARED Eighth Wonder
3 ( 4 ) EVERYWHERE Fleetwood Mac
4 ( 3 ) JOE LE TAXI Vanessa Paradis
5 ( 2 ) FATHER FIGURE George Michael
6 ( 6 ) LADY MADONNA The Beatles
7 ( 8 ) DON’T TURN AROUND Aswad
8 ( 14 ) STAY ON THESE ROADS a-ha
9 ( 13 ) ONLY IN MY DREAMS Debbie Gibson
10 ( 17 ) PIANO IN THE DARK Brenda Russell

11 ( 10 ) THESE DREAMS/NEVER Heart
12 ( 16 ) LOVE CHANGES (EVERYTHING) Climie Fisher
13 ( 7 ) I WANT TO BE YOUR MAN Roger
14 ( 23 ) DREAMING Glen Goldsmith
15 ( 27 ) CROSS MY BROKEN HEART Sinitta
16 ( 9 ) BEAT DIS Bomb The Bass
17 ( 12 ) THAT'S THE WAY IT IS Mel & Kim
18 ( 11 ) LOVE IS CONTAGIOUS Taja Seville
19 ( 15 ) DOCTORIN' THE HOUSE Coldcut/ Yazz & The Plastic Population
20 ( 20 ) I FOUGHT THE LAW The Clash

21 ( 19 ) I GET WEAK Belinda Carlisle
22 ( 22 ) RECKLESS Afrika Bambaata/ UB40
23 ( 18 ) HEART OF GOLD Johnny Hates Jazz
24 ( 35 ) I WANT YOU BACK Bananarama
25 ( 40 ) I WANT HER Keith Sweat
26 ( 49 ) TEMPTATION Wet Wet Wet
27 ( 52 ) GIRLFRIEND Pebbles
28 ( 39 ) AIN'T COMPLAININ' Status Quo
29 ( 26 ) TELL IT TO MY HEART Taylor Dayne
30 ( 28 ) MAN IN THE MIRROR MIchael Jackson

31 ( 55 ) JUST A MIRAGE Jellybean/ Adele Bertei
33 ( 24 ) DEVIL INSIDE INXS
34 ( 38 ) BASS (HOW LOW CAN YOU GO) Simon Harris
35 ( 21 ) I KNOW YOU GOT SOUL Eric B & Rakim
36 ( 62 ) BROKEN LAND The Adventures
37 ( 34 ) HELLO GOODBYE The Beatles
38 ( NEW ) WALK IN THE NIGHT Paul Hardcastle
39 ( 31 ) CRAZY Icehouse
40 ( NEW ) I NEED A MAN Eurythmics

41 ( 41 ) WHAT HAVE I DONE (TO DESERVE THIS) Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
42 ( 42 ) YOU WIN AGAIN The Bee Gees
43 ( 43 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Pet Shop Boys
44 ( 72 ) PINK CADILLAC Natalie Cole
45 ( 30 ) CRASH The Primitives
46 ( 33 ) HOW MEN ARE Aztec Camera
47 ( 46 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
48 ( 51 ) DROP THE BOY Bros
49 ( NEW ) BATMAN THEME Neil Hefti
50 ( 48 ) THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL Michael Jackson

51 ( 53 ) PROVE YOUR LOVE Taylor Dayne
52 ( 25 ) SHIP OF FOOLS Erasure
53 ( 29 ) I PRONOUNCE YOU Madness
54 ( NEW ) GET LUCKY Jermaine Stewart
55 ( 37 ) SAY IT AGAIN Jermaine Stewart
56 ( 59 ) COULD'VE BEEN Tiffany
57 ( 57 ) YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' The Righteous Brothers
58 ( 36 ) TOGETHER FOREVER Rick Astley
59 ( NEW ) PRIVATE PARTY Wally Jump Jnr
60 ( 60 ) BAD Michael Jackson

61 ( 50 ) SPY IN THE HOUSE OF LOVE Was (Not Was)
62 ( 54 ) TAKE MY BREATH AWAY Berlin
63 ( 63 ) FAMILY AFFAIR/RUNNIN’ AWAY Sly & The Family Stone
64 ( 64 ) SHAME Eurythmics
65 ( NEW ) MARY’S PRAYER Danny Wilson
66 ( NEW ) WE ALL SLEEP ALONE Cher
67 ( 44 ) CARS AND GIRLS Prefab Sprout
68 ( 67 ) RENT Pet Shop Boys
69 ( 69 ) PUSH IT Salt 'n' Pepa
70 ( NEW ) LOVE DON’T GIVE A REASON Smokey Robinson

71 ( 71 ) HUMAN Human League
72 ( 45 ) I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY Kylie Minogue
73 ( 61 ) WHEN WILL I BE FAMOUS Bros
74 ( NEW ) SWEET LIES Robert Palmer
75 ( NEW ) WHO’S LEAVING WHO Hazell Dean

3rd Apr
PLAYIST OLDIES

1 DIGGING YOUR SCENE Blow Monkeys
2 IF IT WASN’T FOR THE NIGHTS Abba
3 DON’T LET IT FADE AWAY Darts

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 4th April 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #93
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

so #1 & 2 for PSB then smile.gif Might prefer Im not Scared smile.gif good climbs for Debbie Gibson and Pebbles!!

from the newies I really liked the Cher single,
also Sweet Lies, probably my fav Robert Palmer song, I always preferred his slow tracks

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th April 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I love the new Eurythmics track and 'Shame' also, thanks for introducing me to the later!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 7th April 2020, 10:40 AM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

loved Shame but not a fan of I Need a Man, too bold and shouty, I much prefer their ballads and slow tempos

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 10th April 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Apr 4 2020, 08:56 AM) *
so #1 & 2 for PSB then smile.gif Might prefer Im not Scared smile.gif good climbs for Debbie Gibson and Pebbles!!

from the newies I really liked the Cher single,
also Sweet Lies, probably my fav Robert Palmer song, I always preferred his slow tracks

The PSB's do a great version on their next album of I'm Not Scared - sadly not allowed in my charts of the time as it wasnt a single, doh! Sweet Lies is one I'd forgotten!

smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 10th April 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Apr 6 2020, 03:38 PM) *
I love the new Eurythmics track and 'Shame' also, thanks for introducing me to the later!

Ooh my pleasure, I love it when someone likes something I love, it's a kind of sharing the enthusiasm which is addictive yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 10th April 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

10th April 1988

It's 4 weeks on top for Heart as the Eighth Wonder threat subsides, though more than likely One More Chance would have been pushing it hard had I allowed album tracks in the chart - topping my non-current-single playlist that week I've slipped it in again as a number 76 - as I can't say for sure where in the chart it would have charted, it has to settle for 76. Fleetwood Mac finally get up to 2 and is one of 3 tracks threatening, as Louis Armstrong's gorgeously heart-warming What A Wonderful World is re-issued 20 years on, entering at 3. I hadn't started charting in early 1968, but it probably would have topped my chart as I loved it as a kid. In at 4, it's an instant high new entry for a Giorgio Moroder girl band project, When The Love Is Good is utterly fab. They had an album, 3 singles, a tour, lead singer Bobbi Eakes (a former Miss Georgia) had a powerful voice and this song was one of Moroder's best - and it stiffed, the band didn't catch on. I suspect it's down to the sudden change in musical climate in 1988.

Jermaine Stewart has a big climb, into the 20 for the 3rd time, and George Michael pulls another Faith album track out as a single, the sublime gospel-ish One More Try, in at 22, as Cher leaps into the 30. Natalie Cole, Tiffany and Taylor Dayne all bring some female vocal action to the 40, and among the 14 new entries are DJ's Pat & Mick killing, oops I mean covering, 1978 Michael Zager Band hit Let's All Chant, Jesus & Mary Chain sidewalking, presumably like crabs, and the brilliant Israeli dance vibe of I'm Nin Alu from Ofra Haza. Even more significant is the debut from S-Express, sampling the achingly brilliant Rose Royce riff from 1979's Is It Love You're After, and creating an even more brilliant very different cut 'n' paste dance smash, Theme From S-Express with that all-important hyphen.

The Christians' 4-year-run of great singles continues with Born Again, Born Again Christians, arf, the Christian Brothers must have been having a Scouse laugh at that one, Expose get another Miami-dance-vibe charter, T'Pau do a live single, S-Ex Talk, oh hang on, not Essex Talk, there's no hyphen, and Aerosmith keep the revival strong with Angel. That leaves Lloyd Cole entering with From The Hip as I was about to see him live at Poole Arts Centre with his Commotions - more next week - and Def Leppard Armageddin' It, a bad pun to be proud of.

2 ( 3 ) EVERYWHERE Fleetwood Mac
3 ( NEW ) WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD Louis Armstrong
4 ( NEW ) WHEN THE LOVE IS GOOD Big Trouble
5 ( 2 ) I'M NOT SCARED Eighth Wonder
6 ( 10 ) PIANO IN THE DARK Brenda Russell
7 ( 8 ) STAY ON THESE ROADS a-ha
8 ( 7 ) DON’T TURN AROUND Aswad
9 ( 4 ) JOE LE TAXI Vanessa Paradis
10 ( 14 ) DREAMING Glen Goldsmith

11 ( 9 ) ONLY IN MY DREAMS Debbie Gibson
12 ( 5 ) FATHER FIGURE George Michael
13 ( 11 ) THESE DREAMS/NEVER Heart
14 ( 6 ) LADY MADONNA The Beatles
15 ( 15 ) CROSS MY BROKEN HEART Sinitta
16 ( 27 ) GIRLFRIEND Pebbles
17 ( 12 ) LOVE CHANGES (EVERYTHING) Climie Fisher
18 ( 24 ) I WANT YOU BACK Bananarama
19 ( 54 ) GET LUCKY Jermaine Stewart
20 ( 40 ) I NEED A MAN Eurythmics

21 ( 13 ) I WANT TO BE YOUR MAN Roger
22 ( NEW ) ONE MORE TRY George Michael
23 ( 36 ) BROKEN LAND The Adventures
24 ( 17 ) THAT'S THE WAY IT IS Mel & Kim
25 ( 26 ) TEMPTATION Wet Wet Wet
26 ( 16 ) BEAT DIS Bomb The Bass
27 ( 19 ) DOCTORIN' THE HOUSE Coldcut/ Yazz & The Plastic Population
28 ( 28 ) AIN'T COMPLAININ' Status Quo
29 ( 66 ) WE ALL SLEEP ALONE Cher
30 ( 18 ) LOVE IS CONTAGIOUS Taja Seville

31 ( 31 ) JUST A MIRAGE Jellybean/ Adele Bertei
32 ( 44 ) PINK CADILLAC Natalie Cole
33 ( 32 ) SUGAR SUGAR (CANDYFLOSS MIX)/(ORIGINAL VERSION) The Archies
34 ( 21 ) I GET WEAK Belinda Carlisle
35 ( 23 ) HEART OF GOLD Johnny Hates Jazz
36 ( 56 ) COULD'VE BEEN Tiffany
37 ( 30 ) MAN IN THE MIRROR MIchael Jackson
38 ( 37 ) HELLO GOODBYE The Beatles
39 ( 51 ) PROVE YOUR LOVE Taylor Dayne
40 ( 29 ) TELL IT TO MY HEART Taylor Dayne

41 ( 65 ) MARY’S PRAYER Danny Wilson
42 ( 20 ) I FOUGHT THE LAW The Clash
43 ( 42 ) YOU WIN AGAIN The Bee Gees
44 ( 41 ) WHAT HAVE I DONE (TO DESERVE THIS) Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
45 ( 49 ) BATMAN THEME Neil Hefti
46 ( 69 ) PUSH IT Salt 'n' Pepa
47 ( 43 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Pet Shop Boys
48 ( 75 ) WHO’S LEAVING WHO Hazell Dean
49 ( NEW ) LET'S ALL CHANT Pat and Mick
50 ( 47 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac

51 ( 22 ) RECKLESS Afrika Bambaata/ UB40
52 ( NEW ) SIDEWALKING Jesus And Mary Chain
53 ( 50 ) THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL Michael Jackson
54 ( 25 ) I WANT HER Keith Sweat
55 ( NEW ) I'M NIN ALU Ofra Haza
56 ( 39 ) CRAZY Icehouse
57 ( NEW ) THEME FROM S-EXPRESS S-Express
58 ( 57 ) YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' The Righteous Brothers
59 ( 38 ) WALK IN THE NIGHT Paul Hardcastle
60 ( NEW ) BORN AGAIN The Christians

61 ( 35 ) I KNOW YOU GOT SOUL Eric B & Rakim
62 ( 60 ) BAD Michael Jackson
63 ( 33 ) DEVIL INSIDE INXS
64 ( 63 ) FAMILY AFFAIR/RUNNIN’ AWAY Sly & The Family Stone
65 ( 64 ) SHAME Eurythmics
66 ( 59 ) PRIVATE PARTY Wally Jump Jnr
67 ( NEW ) SEASONS CHANGE Expose
68 ( 34 ) BASS (HOW LOW CAN YOU GO) Simon Harris
69 ( 68 ) RENT Pet Shop Boys
70 ( NEW ) SEX TALK (LIVE) T'Pau

71 ( NEW ) TELL THAT GIRL TO SHUT UP Transvision Vamp
72 ( 55 ) SAY IT AGAIN Jermaine Stewart
73 ( NEW ) ANGEL Aerosmith
74 ( NEW ) FROM THE HIP Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
75 ( NEW ) ARMAGEDDIN' IT Def Leppard
76 ( RE ) ONE MORE CHANCE Pet Shop Boys

Playlist oldies and album tracks of that week
1 ONE MORE CHANCE Pet Shop Boys
2 SOMEBODY WANTS TO LOVE YOU The Partridge Family
3 HERE I GO AGAIN Archie Bell & The Drells
4 DANNY’S SONG Anne Murray

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 10th April 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #99
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

lots of nice newies, very eclectic bunch
my favourite is Transvision Vamp's first single... I was totally obsessed with Wendy James for a while, they were one of my fav bands, they were great, but they made 2 amazing albums and disappeared as quick as they have arrived.
also liked One More Try, easily the best track from Faith. The Ofra Haza song was genious, and nice to see another non-English song in the charts. The Christians, S'Express, T'Pau, The Jesus & Mary Chain, all good singles. I even like the Expose song even if it was a bit too sappy.
The T'Pau song was good but I reckon they chose the wrong single, I would have picked the title track, Bridge of Spies, similar but much better.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th April 2020, 03:17 PM
Post #100
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Apr 10 2020, 10:24 PM) *
lots of nice newies, very eclectic bunch
my favourite is Transvision Vamp's first single... I was totally obsessed with Wendy James for a while, they were one of my fav bands, they were great, but they made 2 amazing albums and disappeared as quick as they have arrived.
also liked One More Try, easily the best track from Faith. The Ofra Haza song was genious, and nice to see another non-English song in the charts. The Christians, S'Express, T'Pau, The Jesus & Mary Chain, all good singles. I even like the Expose song even if it was a bit too sappy.
The T'Pau song was good but I reckon they chose the wrong single, I would have picked the title track, Bridge of Spies, similar but much better.

Thanks Bjork, Transvision vamp had 2 great singles but never quite managed the switch to a run of big singles which was a shame. Ofra Haza I also loved it being non-English, I always like hearing foreign-language songs (though some languages sound better than others biggrin.gif )
cool.gif

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:31 AM