BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Class: Doctor Who spin-off, BBC Three | October 22nd
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Oct 1 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
The big announcement tonight is that there's going to be a new spin-off show called 'Class' airing on BBC Three in 2016, produced by Patrick Ness. There will be 8 episodes, all 45 minutes each!

BBC Three announces Doctor Who Spin Off

BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

Steven Moffat says, “No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!”

On his first television series, writer Patrick Ness says, "I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself. There's so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three adds, “We’re excited to give Patrick Ness this opportunity to work with us at BBC Three and the Doctor Who family. Patrick understands young audiences and I’m delighted he will use his incredible skills as a storyteller to delight audiences on BBC Three. BBC Three will always innovate and offer opportunities for brilliant new talent."

Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning, adds, “I am thrilled that Patrick Ness is writing his first drama series for BBC Three. The combination of Patrick and Steven Moffat, is an exciting partnership that has created a brilliant Doctor Who spin off for our BBC Three audience.”

Class is executive produced by Steven Moffatt, Patrick Ness and Brian Minchin. It was commissioned by Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three and Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning.

An 8 x 45 minute series produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three.

The series will film in and around Wales from Spring, 2016 and be on air next year.

-x-

I'm assuming they've decided a spin-off show would be good because of Moffat's commitments to Sherlock, and I'm fully expecting we won't be getting a full series next year now.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 1 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Very exciting that we'll be getting a new spin-off but yeh, I think this confirms that there will be no full series next year.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 2 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Just a further thought on this, because it appears to be VERY out of the blue and unexpected, it's a very strange choice for a spin-off. Torchwood and SJA obviously made sense, using popular characters that couldn't really appear in the series full time but this seems more like they've come up with an idea, then added on the Doctor Who label after.

It will be interesting to see if any Doctor Who characters will appear in the series. I know the media are speculating that Clara could be in it due to it being at Coal Hill School but I very much doubt that will be happening.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Oct 2 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
nabad
Yeah I'm a bit apprehensive about the cast. I'm really hoping if Courtney's in it she's not a main character, and I'm assuming if Clara does make an appearance it'll be a special guest one that they'll hype up.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Oct 3 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad
Patrick Ness has confirmed that Clara won't be appearing in the series at all. I guess that says a lot about her exit from Doctor Who, then.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Apr 4 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585

Meet the cast of ​Doctor Who​​'s new spinoff - the BBC Three teen drama ​Class.

​Greg Austin, Fady Elsayed, Sophie Hopkins and Vivian Oparah are the young stars heading up the series from YA author Patrick Ness.

Katherine Kelly - of ​Coronation Street, Happy Valley ​and ​The Night Manager ​- is also on board, cast as "a teacher and powerful new presence" at Coal Hill School.

Class ​starts filming today (Monday, April 4) and will premiere on BBC Three later this year.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Apr 4 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Looks a mess.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Apr 4 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
It has been described as a British Buffy so it should be right up your street Michael!! laugh.gif

It's funny though that it's focusing on A-level students when we saw no one of that age in the bits that we saw of the school in Series 8.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Apr 4 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Just clocked that Mr. Armitage who appeared in 'Into the Dalek' and 'The Caretaker' in Series 8 will also be appearing in this.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Apr 4 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad
Looking very forward to seeing Katherine Kelly in this, sure she'll be amazing!

ALL EYES ON FADY THO wow *.*

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Apr 4 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
It feels like Katherine Kelly is in everything these days! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Apr 4 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Really interesting cast ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Apr 4 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
HOW HAVE I ONLY JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS ohmy.gif

Hoping it can deliver happy.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 4 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(burbe @ Apr 4 2016, 03:14 PM) *
It feels like Katherine Kelly is in everything these days! laugh.gif

Was just thinking that! laugh.gif She is fantastic though so I'm glad she's getting so much work (appeared in three 9pm dramas this year already!). Would like to see her take a lead part though.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 14 2016, 02:27 PM
Post #15
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
This should be coming soon, especially as they've just set up a Facebook page for it this week which has been quite active. At the very least, we should be getting more details by the end of the month I would have thought!

I keep forgetting this exists though so my excitement levels are probably rock bottom. That might hopefully change as we know more about it and a trailer gets released!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 14 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #16
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
I think I read that it begins in October! Very exciting biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Sep 15 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Froot. @ Apr 4 2016, 01:20 PM) *
It has been described as a British Buffy so it should be right up your street Michael!! laugh.gif

It's funny though that it's focusing on A-level students when we saw no one of that age in the bits that we saw of the school in Series 8.

Theeey wiah!!

It'll be cheap, cheesy and full of plotholes.

Mark my words.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Sep 15 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

This post has been edited by lewistgreen: Sep 24 2016, 02:01 PM

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Sep 23 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Starts October 22nd and Peter Capaldi will be in the first episode! It'll be called 'For Tonight We Might Die'.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 24 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Yep, the first two episodes will be available on October 22nd and they are titled For Tonight We Might Die and The Coach with the Dragon Tattoo.

Synopsis for the first episode:

It’s a new term at Coal Hill Academy, and students are preparing for their Autumn Prom. But when the school comes under attack, four alienated students must form an unlikely alliance to defeat them. And this incursion is only the beginning…

Charlie (Greg Austin), April (Sophie Hopkins), Ram (Fady Elsayed) and Tanya (Vivian Oparah), assisted by their physics teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly), are charged with a great responsibility by the mysterious alien known as the Doctor (Peter Capaldi): guard against the creatures of nightmare that want nothing more than to find a way through to Earth and take it for their own.

Definitely more intrigued by the show now, will see how it turns out!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:40 PM