BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 30 Day TV Challenge, Day 30: Saddest Character Death
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 18th February 2019, 12:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

30 DAY TV CHALLENGE

A simple game - each day brings a new question to answer!

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled
Day 02. A show that you wish more people were watching
Day 03. Your favourite new show
Day 04. Your favourite show ever
Day 05. A show you dislike
Day 06. Favourite episode of a show
Day 07. Least favourite episode of a show you love
Day 08. Your favourite twist
Day 09. Your favourite TV moment/scene
Day 10. A show you didn't think you would like but ended up loving
Day 11. A show that disappointed you
Day 12. An episode you've watched multiple times
Day 13. Favourite children's show
Day 14. Favourite male character
Day 15. Favourite female character
Day 16. A show that is a guilty pleasure
Day 17. Favourite title sequence
Day 18. Favourite theme tune
Day 19. A show with the best cast
Day 20. Your favourite friendship
Day 21. Your favourite romantic couple
Day 22. Your favourite season/series finale
Day 23. Most annoying character
Day 24. Your favourite animated show
Day 25. An old show you plan on watching
Day 26. Your ideal spin-off show
Day 27. A show that deteriorated in quality
Day 28. First show you were obsessed with
Day 29. A show that you don't get the hype for
Day 30. Saddest character death
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 18th February 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

PUSHING DAISIES

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 18th February 2019, 12:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: Flashforward

My answer to this had long been Heroes - not that the quality had always been strong but I'd felt there was still a lot of potential in the show. However, I didn't enjoy Heroes Reborn as much as I'd hoped, largely because it was halfway between this weird continuation of the series (which didn't feel right) and a new version of the show. It should have picked one and ran with it. Anyway, going to my actual pick, it's a bit of an odd one but I remember it took me a while to get into Flashforward but I really loved it once I did but then it got axed. It was at the time of US channels trying to replicate the success of Lost and I wish one of the mystery dramas had actually succeeded sad.gif

Also, shoutout to Pushing Daisies - just on the basis of the weird world it created and the absolutely amazing garish sets

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 18th February 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

Happy Endings. This is a simple one because for me there is no other choice that has broken my heart as much as Happy Endings being cancelled after only three seasons. It was one of the funniest comedies on air and one of the few comedies I can rewatch again and again (the others being Community, Parks&Rec and Arrested Development). The humour was always funny and so often very sneaky so it's great on rewatches as you're still catching jokes you never noticed. All of the characters are important to the plot and to everyone who was/is on the Friends train this improves upon that concept of 6 friends SO much. Brad & Jane are couple goals, Max is one of THE best gay characters on TV ever, Penny is the most hilarious TV characters ever period and Alex is the prime example of someone who people thing are very one dimensional but secretly she's actually hilarious having said so many "sneakily funny" things. The show ended way too soon and I wish it hadn't because it was already improving upon each previous season so it was only bound to get better (if we look past the fact that they were trying to make Dave and Penny a thing which, no thx).

Honorable Mentions:
- Cold Case (idc about the cast so much but the premise is one of my fav cop show premises ever)
- Pushing Daisies (who even made this decision? the show was winning awards left and right, this made no sense whatsoever)
- Veronica Mars (thankfully getting a mini-season renewal in 2019 iirc. Kristen Bell can really do no wrong but I fear it may be too long)

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: 18th February 2019, 12:43 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 18th February 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Random obscure one but it's the only recent one I can think of rn, The Secret Daughter! It was an Australian drama starring Jessica Mauboy, her character is a country girl who finds out by chance she is actually the daughter of a wealthy hotel owner.

It was nothing groundbreaking, but I was surprised at how good it was with loads of twists and turns, some likeable characters as well as ones you loved to hate, a bit of comedy and some drama, Jess was a brilliant actress in it. Seven Network just didn't really care in Season 2, iirc it had a great slot in season 1 and solid ratings because of it, but they messed it around in season 2 by changing it god knows how many times so people probably had no idea when it was on and just didn't bother, so the ratings dived and then they binned it practically as soon as season 2 was done despite there being a cliffhanger with a fire at the end drama.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 18th February 2019, 04:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled | Travelers

I've gone for a show that actually had the potential to run longer and still keep up the quality. Primeval crossed my mind but the quality had definitely declined, and Teen Wolf too but the actors were growing up and it couldn't really continue any longer with "teen wolves" played by actors in their late 20s/early 30s lol.

So I got to Travelers. Three seasons, all very high quality. Originally a joint partnership between Netflix and Canadian broadcaster Showcase, the latter dropped out after season 2 so Netflix went it alone for season 3. Unfortunately news broke this month of its cancellation, which is a huge shame. The conclusion of season 3 is actually quite a good wrap-up anyway, but there was still the potential for a season 4 and I'm gutted that one isn't coming. The characters were all really well-developed and there were constant twists and turns that made it interesting. Shame it never really seemed to catch on big time.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 18th February 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Wonderful idea *.* Love these lists.

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: Utopia

One of the most fresh, aesthetically beautiful and innovative dramas that really felt like it had a much more unique and intriguing take on conspiracy thrillers. I loved it so much at the time I wrote my whole dissertation for my final year of uni about it! Alas, didn't get the high viewership and was cancelled after two seasons, but while the second wasn't as good as the first, I still think there was a lot more of a mystery to tell and more they could do with it, that I'm so sad it'll be remembered as a mere footnote in Channel 4's back catalogue that barely anyone watched sad.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th February 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: In The Flesh

I don't have a problem with ending a show before the writers run out of ideas, but this surely had at least one more series before that happened. It was a great example of how to make a good show on a fairly small (i.e. BBC3) budget.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 18th February 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Day 1 - Dallas

I don't mean the original series which ended at the right time but the recent revival which was cancelled after series 3. It didn't have big viewing figures but I enjoyed it. Having watched the original series,it was good to have it back with a mixture of old and new characters. Series 1 and 2 didn't end with huge cliffhangers,perhaps the writers were not confident with being renewed,but series 3 did have some cliffhangers at the end and these are still unresolved.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th February 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

1. A show that should have never been cancelled. American Vandal

I could have gone with any of the Netflix MCU shows but I suspect I will use them in future answers so I decided to go with this. Despite the originally silly sounding premise, it's one of the smartest and funniest shows I've seen in years and it's a tragedy that Netflix cancelled it. While the whole show is awesome every episode is filled with little moments and details and the twists made it perfect for bingewatching. The whole cast in season 1 were brilliant and the two leads honestly make you forget you're watching a mockumentary and not a true doc.

This post has been edited by LewisGT: 18th February 2019, 05:38 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 18th February 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #11
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

In the Flesh reminds me of The Fades which was another BBC Three show that shouldn’t have been cancelled. I think both shows were limited by BBC Three’s budget which I think only allowed for one/two drama series a year or something. The Fades wouldn’t be the first pick for me but it had a great cast and I remember really enjoying it

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 18th February 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #12
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: Girl Meets World

I know what you're thinking: "Disney Channel? Really?" I toyed with like three different shows, but this one most recently has been the one that has stuck with me as a "Really? They cancelled this show?" moment.

This was probably among the last bastions of quality Disney Channel, and I don't think I've seen anything that debuted after be as good as this until Andi Mack. This was the sequel to Boy Meets World, a show that pretty much every 90's kid/baby in the US knows about, and it was very much like its parent show, only more Disneyfied and covered different topics (and some of the characters seemed borderline Mary Sue-ish but that's a story for another time). For those who don't know the show, it follows the daughter of the now married Cory and Topanga (two main characters from BMW) and her friends as they grow up and tackle problems that are pretty commonplace in the average adolescent. The show also tied in some cameos by characters from the parent show (every episode with Shawn Hunter is my favorite), some of which helped tie up loose ends. And things really kicked off in Season 2 when the show went past its exposition phase and started developing the characters more.

When I heard that the show was gonna get canned after Season 3, I was shocked. The show was top quality, it had a large demographic range that it appealed to well, Sabrina's music career was taking off, and I thought it would at least make the four-season watermark that most Disney Channel shows would reach (or at the most break that ceiling). This was a cancellation that shocked me not because it left at a cliffhanger or nobody was watching it, but more because it didn't make sense. Why cancel a show when it's clear it hasn't hit its peak yet? Plots were in full swing, there's still much more of the characters that needed to be fleshed out, more relationships needed to be tested. This was probably Disney Channel's biggest mistake, and while Andi Mack kinda softens the blow, there was still a huge hole that needed to be filled. I would have loved to see it get a Netflix renewal, but it would have faced stiff competition in Fuller House, and Freeform already had The Fosters/Good Trouble, so I'm not entirely sure where it would have gone sad.gif But it's definitely a show that should have lasted much longer than it did.

An honorable mention to Jane By Design which left at a horrible cliffhanger and had the potential to do much more than it already had.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th February 2019, 06:06 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

1. Show that should have never been cancelled - The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya

I feel I go on about this show all the time but it is at the pinnacle of both anime and is constantly brought up as one needing another season among anime fans. (because of the nature of anime what with voice actors having no aging problems, shows are rarely 'cancelled' and just put on indefinite hold, but it's been long enough to say we're probably not getting another one). The unadapted light novels show there's so much more that could have been done with adventures of the S.O.S Brigade messing the universe up ridiculously in a TV format, and with five ludicrously unique students encountering sci-fi phenomena, could have made for an amazing season 3. Particularly given the second season was half-weighed down by eight of its 13 episodes being nearly all the same episode in a very literal Groundhog Day style plot, it didn't feel like we got as much as we should have.

Also honourable mention to Star Trek: Enterprise - which got cancelled right as it was getting good and potentially leading up to a Romulan War, to rival the Dominion War from Deep Space Nine maybe.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 18th February 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #14
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Day 1: A show that shouldn't have been cancelled

Class

Class was a Doctor Who spin-off in 2016 that expanded on the Who-niverse by taking a look inside Coal Hill School (the school from the very first Doctor Who story An Unearthly Child, which would make a return in the 8th series of Nu Who). I digged this show during my time in 6th form, and got really invested in the universe of the show, as well as most of its characters (especially Ms. Quill). The last episode The Lost, ended on a cliffhanger that (from what I recall) showed a dramatic scene where it showed April with the eyes of the Shadow Kin before suddenly fading to black. It left me really interested to see what would happen next and what other threats lie near Coal Hill, but alas, it was axed.

It's sad when arc-driven shows have to end before given a proper closure, because more questions and theories involving the features of its universe that catch our eyes are left in the dust to be unanswered.

I also heard that The Sopranos' final episode unexpectedly cut to a black screen before it properly finished. Even as someone that hasn't seen an episode of The Sopranos at the time of posting this, I feel bad for the viewers invested in the show that were waiting to see how it would end off, because again, it leaves them questions begging to be answered.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 19th February 2019, 08:23 AM
Post #15
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Veronica Mars. Luckily we're getting some closure very soon so YAY

Day 02. A show that you wish more people were watching

Rick and Morty. Witty, funny, intelligent, one of a kind. I want at least 6 billion people watching this show - less is just never going to be enough.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 19th February 2019, 08:25 AM
Post #16
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

day 2. ‘final space’: i dunno if it’s something people aren’t watching but no one i know is and i bloody love it

+Quote this post
p a v
post 19th February 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #17
Group icon

I'm halfway through it at the moment. it's pretty nice and I like that beginning of each episode part <3

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 19th February 2019, 08:28 AM
Post #18
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

also day 1: ‘lost’ i’ve only just started watching series 1 and i don’t want it to end lol

+Quote this post
p a v
post 19th February 2019, 08:30 AM
Post #19
Group icon

s3 is the shit *.* after that goes downhill for me but idk it's been a WHILE since I watched any of it

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 19th February 2019, 08:30 AM
Post #20
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

QUOTE(Conderella @ Feb 19 2019, 08:27 AM) *
I'm halfway through it at the moment. it's pretty nice and I like that beginning of each episode part <3

wub.gif

+Quote this post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:06 AM