BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Logan, 02/03/17 | Hugh Jackman's last outing as Wolverine
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Oct 20 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Latest teaser for Hugh Jackman's last appearance as Wolverine in the X-men movies. He'll have been in the role for 17 years by the time this is realised and I'm a bit gutted we won't get to see him don the claws again but the looks like a very interesting film to end his run. Looks a lot more personal than many superhero films about and also should be a bit different now it's getting an R rating thanks to the success of Deadpool.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 19 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

This is going to be the movie that the standalone 'Wolverine' movies should've been all along, isn't it?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Feb 18 2017, 12:27 AM
Post #3
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Reviews are in...

Looks like this is going to be awesome!

+Quote this post
post Feb 18 2017, 12:32 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Saw it this evening, probably better than the other two, but still a bit cliche and try hard in parts. Some of the action sequences were really good!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 18 2017, 12:51 AM
Post #5
Group icon
So pumped for this! Really hope it is good and paves the way for more R rated superhero movies!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Mar 4 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Just come back from seeing this tonight and it was pretty wicked, definitely the best Wolverine film to yet. It really benefits from being a 15/R, the violence is rather brutal which makes it so much more exciting and the team ups between Logan and Laura are so cool. It's nice to have a superhero movie that feels a lot more contained with no end-of-the-world sky beams or CGI armies (which are fun too but it's bringing something a bit different to the table) and the ending makes for a very bittersweet ending to Jackman's run as Logan, a shame we won't be seeing any more of him (or Patrick Stewart sad.gif) but at least they went out on a high wub.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Mar 4 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #7
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Wanting to see this!

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 4 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Given the low quality of the first 2 Wolverine films I wasn't interested in this before but when Mark Kermode compared it to Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven during a very positive review I was intrigued. I guess I'll have to watch it now

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 6 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
grim n gritty future-world mutant-hunting, so going back to earlier themes in a world-weary fashion.

While the cast were all excellent (Stephen Merchant was a major surprise), it was rather predictable plotwise, and I challenge the assumption that dark and violent is in someway better critically than a positive shiny (or funny) version of X-Men. For me it was a 5/10, a worthy attempt that didn't quite work. one point off for having a British mastermind villain controlling what are clearly Americans in America. Blofeld is fine in a Bond film, that's British, but as we deal with a real-life American Blofeld running the USA (both enjoy grabbing white felines and peddling meddling power and money and scheming against heroes) that cliche needs to end. British scientists are not the enemy...

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Mar 6 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I found it very dark and pretty much a good action film in the end, its sad to see the demise of Wolverine at the end, you don't get to see heroes killed off in other Marvel franchise.

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post Mar 7 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783
Very dark, with a not-so-obvious ending which really helped. Once you get over the fact that you're literally watching a what 12? year old girl slaughter everything in site without hesitation, it all becomes awesome at every turn. 10/10 without hesitation. I'm happy it also has a lofty 8.8/10 IMDB rating.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Mar 10 2017, 02:46 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I saw this Tuesday night and quite enjoyed it! Yeah it was alright!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Mar 14 2017, 10:36 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
I saw this at the weekend and absolutely loved it. It really felt like they nailed what a Wolverine movie should be on the 3rd attempt. The stronger emphasis on violence is a key part to that.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 18 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Easily the best of all of the X-Men films and certainly the most, intelligent and thoughtful Marvel film yet.

I really enjoyed this

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Mar 19 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #15
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
I really enjoyed this too, there was so much more character development and it was unusual to see such a Wolverine at an absolute all-time low.

I loved the Western setting!

+Quote this post
post Mar 19 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I really don't think it was THAT good. Nowhere near as good as X1, X2 and DOFP. Yes it was easily better than the first two Wolverine films, but that's not difficult...this was still a bit... dull in parts. And I found the 'we're going for something really gritty and acclaimed this time' aesthetic a bit too transparent.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Mar 19 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I found the swearing to be quite forced and sounded like they were jist inserted for the sake of it being an R Rated movie. I also, enjoyed it, thought it was great finally seeing Wolverine's claws being put to great use, but still didn't like it as much as I wanted to! 7/10 for me (wanted to give it more in all honesty sad.gif )

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 19 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #18
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I agree about the swearing, that felt gratuitous at points and there was a little too much of it. Everything else though, amazing, a much more gritty and bleak counterpart to Deadpool and had real emotional depth and bleak feel for a superhero film, almost 'realist' as far as that term applies to the genre. The ending was a little predictable in parts I guess but still you don't see many superhero films where not just one but all of the main familiar heroes (children aside) are killed off. Felt so weird and sad to see both Wolverine and Professor X at an end in their current forms, but they were both brilliantly portrayed

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Mar 20 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #19
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Much better than the previous X-Men film. But not with the best of the X-Men films.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Mar 23 2017, 12:39 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Mar 6 2017, 08:26 PM) *
grim n gritty future-world mutant-hunting, so going back to earlier themes in a world-weary fashion.

While the cast were all excellent (Stephen Merchant was a major surprise), it was rather predictable plotwise, and I challenge the assumption that dark and violent is in someway better critically than a positive shiny (or funny) version of X-Men. For me it was a 5/10, a worthy attempt that didn't quite work. one point off for having a British mastermind villain controlling what are clearly Americans in America. Blofeld is fine in a Bond film, that's British, but as we deal with a real-life American Blofeld running the USA (both enjoy grabbing white felines and peddling meddling power and money and scheming against heroes) that cliche needs to end. British scientists are not the enemy...

I find your criticisms odd. The plot was predictable, how so? What was predictable about showing the former superheroes on their last legs. It wasn't like the film had a happy ending either, the 2 main characters from the x-men films die.

I think it was great, it was a very well put together self contained plot, which showed a very different side to the superhero franchise. A darker side, a vulnerable side. It didn't end with the good guys saving the world, it ended with 2 guys who knew their time was up using what time they had left to help a few kids. It all might have been in vein, the film lets you decide that but it wasn't either going out in a blaze of glory but merely giving hope to the children.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:50 PM