BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cher - UK Singles Rate - THE RESULTS, RESULTS DONE ON PAGE 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Rob90
post Sep 13 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #21
Group icon
New Entry
User: 110,778
Save up your tears is one of my favs can't believe it only scraped top40. Guess people bought the album instead as it was number 1 for six weeks!!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 13 2020, 11:50 PM
Post #22
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
We're dreamers in castles made of sand

#19. Heart of Stone | Avg.7.466

Highest Scores: 11: (Spiceboy), Lowest Scores: 5: (vibe, Feel The Fever, gog lad84)

At the #19 spot is the highest placed track on this countdown not to gain any 10's (but did manage a single score of 11) - "Heart of Stone", released in January 1990 as the 4th USA & 3rd European single taken from her 19th studio album of the same name, (which also makes this her first single of the 90's decade). The song was originally recorded by Bucks Fizz in 1988 & became their final single to chart at a mere #50. Cher had a lot more success with her version by reaching top 20 peaks in USA & Poland, as well as top 40 peaks in Ireland & Canada. In the UK it narrowly missed the top 40 by reaching a #43 peak, which is still higher than Bucks Fizz original version.

Slightly remixed for its single release & of course as always Cher delivers yet another cracking tune with top notch vocals which trumps the Bucks Fizz original by about a million miles. Cher really brings a more soulful depth to this number & remains one of her most finest moments to date.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 14 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #23
Group icon
The next track to drop will be a lead single from one of her studio albums - there's 9 possible choices, any guesses?

This post has been edited by Nina West: Sep 14 2020, 12:07 AM

+Quote this post
Rob90
post Sep 14 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #24
Group icon
New Entry
User: 110,778
QUOTE(Nina West @ Sep 14 2020, 01:06 AM) *
The next track to drop will be a lead single from one of her studio albums - there's 9 possible choices, any guesses?

The music's no good

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 15 2020, 01:22 AM
Post #25
Group icon
But honey this is a battle that you haven't won

#18. Woman's World | Avg.7.566

Highest Scores: 10: (Tombo), Lowest Scores: 4: (Simon)

At #18 is "Woman's World", released in June 2013 as the lead single from her 25th studio album Closer to the Truth, which would be her first studio album since 2001's Living Proof. While Cher was still in the process of finishing the album, snippets of the song surfaced online in late October 2012, and when a DJ played a demo of the song at a Michigan club, Cher revealed on her Twitter page that she was upset about the leak. Upon release the song received generally positive reviews & became a modest hit by reaching top 40 peaks in Switzerland & Belgium, while also charting in several other countries such as Austria, Germany, Australia, Italy & Venezuela. in the USA it didn't manage to enter the official top 100, but managed a #25 on the Bubbling under chart, but fared better on its other charts by becoming her 8th chart topper on the US Hot Dance charts & top 30 on the Adult Contemporary chart, making Cher one of the few artists to have appeared on that chart in every one of the last 6 six decades.

A very fun comeback single with this very in your face tune with its shouty lyrics & catchy repetitive lyrics that kinda lost its punch by the time it was finally released, have it not leaked several months prior, then this could have done much better. But as it is this tracks really plays to her strengths as a self-esteem icon and club staple, allowing her to sound contemporary while also paying tribute to her back discography. The song's crisp production with an element of camp, its just nice to have Cher back on the music scene again.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 16 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day

#17. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) | Avg.7.633

Highest Scores: 10: (George.keh, Tombo), Lowest Scores: 2: (Spiceboy)

At #17 we say goodbye to the last of the Cher ABBA covers - "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)", released in August 2018 as the lead single from her 26th studio album Dancing Queen. Upon release it received positive reviews & became quite successful by reaching top 5 on the US Dance Club Songs chart & hit top 40 peaks in Scotland, Spain, Belgium & Hungary.

Cher pioneered the use of autotune in music, and distinct use of it on this cover really works, making it feel more fun and more poignant when sung by a woman in her early 70s. A bang up job by the wonderful Cher as always & while this may never stand as one of her best, its still a decent effort.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post Sep 16 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209
Love Woman's World, great single from a great album.

Gimme Gimme Gimme is definitely one of the best of the ABBA covers

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 17 2020, 07:01 AM
Post #28
Group icon
Don't count me out just yet

#16. You Haven't Seen The Last of Me | Avg.7.733

Highest Scores: 10: (Lukuzz, Liam, Tombo), Lowest Scores: 5: (gog lad84)

In this selection there's 2 songs in this post, given that they both scored the same average. Finishing in 16th place is "You Haven't Seen The Last of Me", released in November 2010, After a long time of hiatus in her acting career, Cher returned to the screen in Burlesque[/], as well as this being her first single release in 7 years. ,Upon its release, the single was well-received from most contemporary music critics, who praised Cher's comeback as well as the track's composition. It also garnered a Golden Globe award for 'Best Original Song' as well as receiving a Grammy nomination. In January 2011 the song managed to top the US Hot Dance Club chart, This made Cher the only act to have notched a number-one single on a Billboard chart in each of the last six decades.

This was one of the 2 wildcard entries that were requested for this rate & its done very well with not only a decent position, but a healthy average. This is a really nice piano driven torch song that simmers throughout by adding instruments and volume to Cher's powerful vocals which shows she still got some fantastic chops (its like she's never really been away at all) as well as showing us why she's had an amazing career that's lasted this long & even after 6 decades, Cher still has what it takes & just keeps delivering the goods.

#15. The Music's No Good Without You | Avg.7.733

Highest Scores: 11: (Euphorique), 10: (Qween), Lowest Scores: 4.5: (Nina West)

At #15 is "The Music's No Good Without You", released in November 2001 as the lead International single from her 24th studio album [i]Living Proof
& coming off the back of her mega successful Believe era, expectations were high. Upon release the song got mixed reviews, but became a success by reaching top 10 peaks in Italy, Canada, Romania, Poland, Portugal, Spain & UK, where it became her 13th top 10 hit & would be her last single to chart there until 2013. Elsewhere it managed top 20/40 peaks mostly everywhere else & therefore expanding Cher's chart success into five decades. In the USA the song would only be released as an exclusive club single in August 2002, & due to Cher being on tour at the time, the single had no promotion over there at all.

This is unfortunately not one of my favourite Cher numbers with way too much auto-tune for my liking that it makes her vocals barely recognizable, making it feel way too robotic, yeah I know the that was the whole point, but with this it just lacks that certain spark that Cher usually has with her more well-known or even in some cases lesser known numbers. Although I do like the electronic beats running throughout, but that's not enough to save this barely memorable mess. Despite being a top 10 hit, this feels rather forgotten by today's standards. I honestly feel that the lead US single 'ASFTL' would have been a far stronger International lead than this & if it had the attention this did, then could have easily fared better.

This post has been edited by Nina West: Sep 17 2020, 07:03 AM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 17 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #29
Group icon
(Music, candlelight, so right!)

#14. Take Me Home | Avg.7.8

Highest Scores: 10: (Josh, George.keh, Tombo), Lowest Scores: 4: (gog lad84)

At #14 is Cher's brief foray into Disco music; "Take Me Home", released in January 1979 as the lead single from her 15th studio album of the same name, as well as being her first album on after signing to 'Casablanca Records'. The idea of Cher going into the Disco genre was advised by Neil Bogart after the commercial failures of her last 4 studio albums. Originally Cher wanted to record a Rock 'N' Roll tinged album after her new label signing, before being advised otherwise, she was reluctant at first, stating that she found the genre superficial. Upon release the song got positive reviews & became her biggest hit in 4 years by reaching a #8 peak on the US charts & went onto earn a Gold disc for sales of over a Million copies. This would be her last top 10 hit over there for 8 years. Elsewhere it also reached the top 10 in Canada, but wouldn't make much impact Internationally, charting only in Spain & New Zealand. In the UK the song didn't chart, but it did get covered by Sophie Ellis Bextor in 2001 , taking it to #2 on the UK charts.

I only became familiar with Cher's version of this track when Sophie Ellis Bextor's version came out & this was a fascinating surprise & glad Sophie's version wasn't just a carbon copy of this grand version, both of which are very different, almost like 2 separate songs (in my opinion). This was the other wildcard track that I added to this rate & honestly really glad its here, as not only has it done really well here, but its just a fantastic triumph, with a funky melody, lush arrangements & some stellar production in which Cher really sells the melancholy yearning & the slight sleaziness of its sexual lyrics. Its a shame that none of her other Disco tracks were half as good as this, well actually quite weak when compared to this brilliant tune. It just goes to show as to why her foray into this genre was as brief as it was, 2 studio albums in one year that felt very rushed & making it clear that her heart wasn't into this sound. But as this title track stands it makes for a very promising highlight in her already stellar discography.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 17 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #30
Group icon
The next to drop will be a 2nd single, but which one?

There's 4 possible choices: "Just Like Jesse James", "One By One", "Strong Enough" or "Song for the Lonely"

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Sep 17 2020, 07:29 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I think it will be song for the lonely.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post Sep 17 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209
You Haven't seen the last of me is definitely in my Top 5 Cher songs of all time. Perfection.

The music's no good without you I never really gave much time to when it came out but its great.

Take Me Home is a classic too

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 18 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Seek the sweet salvation for what we've done

#13. One By One | Avg.7.8 [more high scores]

Highest Scores: 10: (Nina West, Qween, Mullo), Lowest Scores: 3: (Tombo)

At #13 & coming quite as a shock; "One By One", this looked set for a top 10 placing, up until the final low score of 3 which caused this to dip quite a bit. Released in January 1996 as the 2nd European single from her 21st studio album It's A Man's World, while in the USA it was released at a slightly later date of June 1996 as the lead single there as 'WIM' wasn't given a release over there & was given a brand new remix for that market also. The song has been covered a few times over the years, where originally recorded by The Real People back in 1987, but was never used for their album, then covered again by Irish singer Johnny Logan in 1990. But neither of these versions are very well known & Cher's version to date remains the most successful & most well known. Upon release the song became a decent success by reaching top 10 peaks in Hungary & UK, as well as top 40 peaks in Canada, Iceland & Poland. In the USA it wasn't quite as successful by reaching a #52 peak, but was a big hit on Billboard's Adult Contemporary, Hot Dance Club Play and Hot Dance Singles Sales charts.

This was a well earned hit for Cher back in the mid 90's with its fantastic opening of ghostly guitars drift in as they blend with backing vocals then eventually some soft warm vocals by the diva herself. Then as the chorus kicks in, we get some great chugging rock guitars thrown in with some stunning verses set alongside some escalating backing vocals, before drifting off again, giving it an soulful dreamlike quality. A truly lovely song.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 19 2020, 06:07 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Come on baby show me what that loaded gun is for

#12. Just Like Jesse James | Avg.8.066

Highest Scores: 10: (Simon, Spiceboy, Tombo), Lowest Scores: 5: (gog lad84)

At the #12 spot is a well known iconic number for Cher; "Just Like Jesse James", released in October 1989 as the 3rd US & 2nd European single from her 19th studio album Heart of Stone. The song's title is a reference to legendary Wild West bandit Jesse James. Upon release the song became a big hit by reaching top 10 peaks in Canada, USA & Ireland, while hitting top 20 peaks in Quebec, UK, Australia, New Zealand & Poland, then finally top 40 peaks in Belgium, Germany & Spain. Cher has stated during concert performances that she personally never much liked the song despite its successful chart performance.

Certainly one of Cher's more restrained numbers, especially during the late 80's, but that doesn't take any of its greatness away from it. An effective Country tinged power ballad that has some very well polished song-writing that recalls the days when Cher had great success in recording songs that told a story. By using the outlaw Jesse James as a simile for a rough relationship is quite genius & makes it a unique moment in her discography, its a shame that Cher doesn't like this song, as I personally love it, but at least she continues to perform it, as its a firm fan favourite & just an all round great song.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 19 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #35
Group icon
The next to drop will be a song that didn't make the UK top 10 (quite fitting), there's 4 possible choices, any guesses?

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 21 2020, 12:55 AM
Post #36
Group icon
No other love can take your place

#11. Dov'e L'Amore | Avg.8.1

Highest Scores: 11: (gog lad84), 10: (ready for it, Lukuzz), Lowest Scores: 4: (Mullo)

Just outside the top 10 is the Latin flavoured "Dov'e L'Amore", which translates in English; "Where's the Love". Released in July 1999 as the 4th and final single from her 22nd studio album Believe. It has been noted that this is the only rack that deviates from the electronic dance music sound on the album. Upon release it earned decent reviews & became a success worldwide by hitting top 10 peaks in Spain, Finland, Greece, Czech Republic & Hungary, while reaching top 20 peaks in Italy, Belgium & Switzerland. In the UK it wasn't quite as successful as the previous singles by peaking just outside the top 20 at #21, which makes this her 25th top 40 hit there. Elsewhere the song managed top 40 peaks in Poland, Germany, Sweden, Austria & Quebec, then finally minor peaks everywhere else.

I never thought that this would manage to get this high, but its very decent scores speak for themselves. This probably stands as the album's most forgotten single, given that it didn't receive half as much attention as the other singles did & its quite a shame as this is a pretty solid track, while in its original album form its a very beautiful Latin tinged ballad that offered a very refreshing change of pace from its other album tracks which were more in the dance/electronica vibe. While in its new single mix, the track pops even more by adding more guitars & other instrumentals to the mix, along with some slick production & some top notch vocals, all of which makes this quite a bright spot in Cher's everlasting career, a lost gem perhaps.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 21 2020, 12:59 AM
Post #37
Group icon
The top 10 in chronological order:

Gypsy's Tramps & Thieves
I Found Someone
If I Could Turn Back Time
The Shoop, Shoop Song (Its In His Kiss)
Love and Understanding
Walking in Memphis
Believe
Strong Enough
All or Nothing
Song for the Lonely

+Quote this post
Qween
post Sep 21 2020, 07:53 AM
Post #38
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
A fairly mixed top 10 which is nice, not really a surprise to see 3 of the Believe singles there (and Dov'e L'amore just missing out). Surprised to see The Music's No Good Without You that high, but very pleased. I think it's the perfect antidote to Believe - it's the afterparty, sultry and laid back. Also her head voice on One by One is sublime.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 21 2020, 01:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Before we begin the top 10, here's a quick rundown of the results so far:

31-40

31. Love Can Build A Bridge (ft Chrisse Hynde, Neneh Cherry & Eric Claptin) - 6.538
32. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore - 6.142
33. All I Really Want To Do - 5.966
34. Sunny - 5.964
35. Whenever You're Near - 5.785
36. Could've Been You - 5.766
37. Many Rivers to Cross - 5.75
38. Not Enough Love In The World - 5.678
39. Oh No Not My Baby - 5.466
40. I Feel Something In The Air - 5.071

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 21 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #40
Group icon
30-21

21. Save Up All Your Tears - 7.4
22. Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - 7.333
23. Dead Ringer For Love (ft Meatloaf) - 7.3
24. Dark Lady - 7.3
25. We Sleep Alone - 7.2
26. I Hope You Find It - 7.166
27. Fernando - 7.133
28. Love Hurts - 6.9
29. You Wouldn't Know Love - 6.833
30. SOS - 6.833

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 PM