BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Better Man • Robbie Williams Biopic (2024)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post 23rd February 2021, 10:10 AM
Post #1
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

A Robbie Williams biopic has been announced! "Better Man" is going into production, directed by Michael Gracey - who made his directorial debut with "The Greatest Showman". Now along with 'Greatest Days', there are two Take That-based films in production which is quite exciting!

There's a detailed Deadline article about it here - https://deadline.com/2021/02/robbie-william...age-1234698743/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 23rd February 2021, 11:23 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Excited for this, and what a title !!!

Always loved that song!!

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 23rd February 2021, 11:32 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584

Well-well, I like that title smile.gif)

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 23rd February 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135

Robbie Williams biopic in the works from Greatest Showman director
The film is described as a ‘fantastical coming-of-age’ story.

A film based on the life and career of Robbie Williams is reportedly in the works from the director of hit musical The Greatest Showman (PA Images on behalf of So TV)
By Keiran Southern, PA Los Angeles Correspondent

February 23 2021 01:13 AM

Better Man is a fantastical coming-of-age story telling the rise of former Take That singer Williams, according to US outlet Deadline.

The film will explore Williams’ demons, director Michael Gracey said, after he spent hours speaking with the star.

Williams’ hit songs will feature in the movie, according to Deadline, but it is not known how the 47-year-old will be portrayed on screen.

Gracey told the outlet: “As for how we represent Robbie in the film, that bit is top secret. I want to do this in a really original way. I remember going to the cinema as a kid and there were films that blew me away and made me say as I sat there in the cinema, ‘I’ve never seen this before.’ I just want the audience to have that feeling.”

Australian Gracey, best known for directing the 2017 blockbuster musical The Greatest Showman, added: “All I can say is the approach is top secret, but the goal is to generate that feeling I just described. It’s this fantastical story, and I want to represent it in its harsh reality all the way to these moments of pure fantasy.”

Williams was born in Stoke-on-Trent and shot to global stardom as part of Take That. After leaving the band in 1995, he forged a hugely successful solo career.

Unlike some people who were born prodigies or musical geniuses and you follow the narrative of the world catching up to their brilliance, this isn’t that story
Michael Gracey

Williams, whose hits include Angels, Come Undone and Supreme, has been open about his issues with alcohol and substance abuse.

His biopic will focus on Williams being an “everyman,” Gracey said.

“Unlike some people who were born prodigies or musical geniuses and you follow the narrative of the world catching up to their brilliance, this isn’t that story,” Gracey said.

“Robbie is that Everyman, who just dreamed big and followed those dreams and they took him to an incredible place. Because of that, his is an incredibly relatable story. He’s not the best singer, or dancer, and yet, he managed to sell 80 million records worldwide.

“You can relate to the guy who doesn’t see himself as having any extraordinary talent, even though of course, he does. What he did have is the will, vision and confidence to say, I’m going to pursue my dream. For us as an audience, it’s a window into the world, of what if we just went for it and chased that impossible dream that so many of us put to one side.”

Gracey added Williams’ songs will be “re-sung, for the emotion of the moment.”

Williams has been married to American actress Ayda Field since 2010. They have four children.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/mo...r-40121573.html

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 24th February 2021, 12:20 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

Very intriguing cheer.gif

The bit that caught my eye - is he will re-sing the songs to fit the film. I like that idea. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 24th February 2021, 12:22 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Someone on chat said "I will talk and Hollywood will listen". wink.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 24th February 2021, 12:22 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Better Man @ Feb 23 2021, 11:32 AM) *
Well-well, I like that title smile.gif)

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 24th February 2021, 01:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Feb 24 2021, 12:22 AM) *
laugh.gif

Great title tongue.gif , couldn't be better ..

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 24th February 2021, 01:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I wonder what format this will take, they were talking about it on Irish tv this morning ...

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 25th February 2021, 12:45 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I hope Guy is involved

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post 25th February 2021, 06:55 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575

Why should Guy be involved, Laura? because he was part of the story or because of the music? I don't think that it will be all about music as a movie like that should also appeal to the Americans who might wonder about whose guys biopic this is. For that reason I believe that there will be quite some place for the mental health/drugs/ Better Man story

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 25th February 2021, 02:20 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

This article from NME is rather funny

‘Better Man’: eight classic stories the Robbie Williams biopic should include
From first class sharts to UFO-hunting with Jon Ronson

By
El Hunt
23rd February 2021

https://www.nme.com/features/robbie-william...include-2887036

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 26th February 2021, 12:43 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(elisabeth1974 @ Feb 25 2021, 06:55 AM) *
Why should Guy be involved, Laura? because he was part of the story or because of the music? I don't think that it will be all about music as a movie like that should also appeal to the Americans who might wonder about whose guys biopic this is. For that reason I believe that there will be quite some place for the mental health/drugs/ Better Man story

Yes - I meant for the music Elisabeth happy.gif

if they re-interpret the music to fit the movie - I hope Guy is involved.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 26th February 2021, 10:03 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Let him entertain you! Why the Robbie Williams biopic will be a must-watch movie

My comedy writing partner Rich is a huge Robbie fan. The biggest. When I asked why he loves him so much, he said: ‘Beyond all the charisma and the good looks and his once-in-a generation performance skills, it’s about how honest all his songs are. That’s why he stands out: he confronts himself in almost every song – he’s always the bad guy. He’s blaming himself, analysing himself, parodying himself in a way that would be critically lauded were he not Robbie Williams.

“His songs are so funny – he always knows what he’s doing, even when the people listening don’t. Also he wrote an eight-minute ballad about travelling to Las Vegas with a monkey on rollerblades and fighting a cartel.” (That’s ‘Me And My Monkey’ from 2002’s ‘Escapology’, obvs.

Aside from the great songs (‘Kids’ is one of the best duets ever; ‘Come Undone’ is exceptional; ‘Feel’ is a masterpiece), I love the fact that despite having been one of the biggest stars in the world, Robbie clearly wasn’t listening during media training. As as such, he is always an interesting person to watch. He’s hilarious.

https://www.nme.com/features/robbie-william...d-watch-2888965

Me & My Monkey is such a brilliant song, glad someone else recognises it as such smile.gif

He's right about the Christmas show, it's one I want to forget about teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 27th February 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Feb 26 2021, 10:03 AM) *
Let him entertain you! Why the Robbie Williams biopic will be a must-watch movie
‘Beyond all the charisma and the good looks and his once-in-a generation performance skills, it’s about how honest all his songs are. That’s why he stands out: he confronts himself in almost every song – he’s always the bad guy. He’s blaming himself, analysing himself, parodying himself in a way that would be critically lauded were he not Robbie Williams.

100% cool.gif

This post has been edited by Laura130262: 27th February 2021, 12:06 AM

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 27th February 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Feb 26 2021, 10:03 AM) *
My comedy writing partner Rich is a huge Robbie fan. The biggest. When I asked why he loves him so much, he said: ‘Beyond all the charisma and the good looks and his once-in-a generation performance skills, it’s about how honest all his songs are. That’s why he stands out: he confronts himself in almost every song – he’s always the bad guy. He’s blaming himself, analysing himself, parodying himself in a way that would be critically lauded were he not Robbie Williams.

“His songs are so funny – he always knows what he’s doing, even when the people listening don’t. Also he wrote an eight-minute ballad about travelling to Las Vegas with a monkey on rollerblades and fighting a cartel.” (That’s ‘Me And My Monkey’ from 2002’s ‘Escapology’, obvs.

Aside from the great songs (‘Kids’ is one of the best duets ever; ‘Come Undone’ is exceptional; ‘Feel’ is a masterpiece), I love the fact that despite having been one of the biggest stars in the world, Robbie clearly wasn’t listening during media training. As as such, he is always an interesting person to watch. He’s hilarious.
https://www.nme.com/features/robbie-william...d-watch-2888965
Me & My Monkey is such a brilliant song, glad someone else recognises it as such smile.gif
He's right about the Christmas show, it's one I want to forget about teresa.gif

Love this article. cool.gif

and yes that 2019 Christmas show has been banished from my memory never to return blink.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 27th February 2021, 12:11 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Trainspotting star Robert Carlyle favourite to play Robbie Williams in new film https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment...mpaign=sharebar

Seems unlikely laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 1st March 2021, 12:45 PM
Post #18
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Erm....

Perhaps surprisingly, one of the biggest-budget prospects at the EFM (initially priced in the $100M range) is the Robbie Williams biopic Better Man from The Greatest Showman director Michael Gracey. We understand that pop star Williams will be portrayed by a CGI monkey in the film. “It’s bananas”, one buyer wise-cracked.

from a Deadline article about upcoming projects.

I have so many questions omg

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 1st March 2021, 12:59 PM
Post #19
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

I guess it could have something to do with having a "monkey on your back"? (a drug addiction) - but I have no idea how this will work laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 2nd March 2021, 12:27 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Me and My Monkey.

I bet it's true.

laugh.gif

Hope he's in dungarees and rollerblades