BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
105 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dance Chart Number Ones 2000 - 2009, ******COMPLETE**********
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post Jul 22 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body

Date 13th Feb 2000
2 Weeks
Official Chart Run 3-6-9-18-23-31-36-45-60-75-x (10 weeks)

The follow up to Blue (Da Ba Dee), this song is similar to the first in that it has the robotic voice. It is of course not as well known as the first one, but the singing is less monotone in it and perhaps owing to having heard the other one too much in a recent advert for an energy company, I prefer this one at the minute smile.gif

Eiffel 65 are from Milan in Italy and are part of the Italo Dance scene of the late 90s and early 2000s. Italian dance acts have produced some classic dance records such as 'Ride On Time', 'Rhythm of The Night' and 'Satisfaction' the last one may or may not be appearing in this thread laugh.gif

Eiffel 65 at that time consisted of three members, Maurizio Lobina, Jeffrey Jey and Gabry Ponte. Aptly, considering their futuristic form of music, they all met originally in the science-fictiony sounding Bliss Corporation. Ponte left the group in 2005 to start a solo career. The remaining members started a similarly named group Bloom 06 which released two albums. Eiffel 65 reformed in 2010.
The name Eiffel 65 was partly chosen, aptly considering the futuristic nature of their music, by computer, but the 65 bit was an accident that came from part of a phone number.

Robot voice effects are of course also used by French House producers Daft Punk and Les Rhythmes Digitales and perhaps we may see some tunes by these producers in the thread.

The video also shows some blue cartoon people too in a reference to their first song and a real life woman with a blue face, somewhat reminiscent of a certain well known science fiction movie.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 22 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #42
Group icon
I really enjoyed that btw. The video was great, those moving keyboards. I do vaguely remember it, although I don't remember it as much as the classic that was Blue though.

Actually Eiffel 65 if you are reading this, please release a new song. We need some stuff like this in the charts NOW. smile.gif And it is still relevant because it is futuristic and probably always will be. I wonder in 100 years, will all music be like this? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mountain Marquis: Jul 22 2016, 07:09 PM

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post Jul 22 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275
I really liked Adelante, although not as good as his earlier tracks.

Move Your Body is OK, but nowhere near as good as Blue was.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 22 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #44
Group icon
You wouldn't get anything as epic and vibrant as Sash's Adelante or anything as fun as Eiffel 65 in the charts today.

So far this seems like a different world of dance music to today's or any in the 2010s, one that in my opinion is more fun and vibrant. I am enjoying doing this and listening to these tunes, some of which i remember and some I don't.

+Quote this post
Ethan
post Jul 22 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #45
Group icon
3:23
User: 5,269
'adelante' and 'move your body' are serious bops dance.gif

+Quote this post
N-S
post Jul 22 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816
The obscure downtempo 3rd single

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jul 22 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #47
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Adelante (a BJSC entry at one point not too long ago I believe, but a bit too cheap really) and Move Your Body are both alright dance songs but nowhere near as good as the tracks the acts are mainly known for.

Great to see this starting though, I'll try to follow it, I expect I'll know a lot more than in the 90s.

+Quote this post
Colm
post Jul 22 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
Move Your Body might have been ok if they took the vocals out.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 22 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #49
Group icon
QUOTE(Colm @ Jul 22 2016, 10:23 PM) *
Move Your Body might have been ok if they took the vocals out.

I like the vocals they are great, so catchy if I was an astronaut I would listen to Eiffel 65 in space it is that sort of spacey music like Magic Fly by Space back in the late 70s.

Eiffel 65 were better than Alice Deejay I think. They were different its a pity they didnt have another hit after this.

I have only heard bits of other Sash songs but I doubt any would beat the power of Adelante for me.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Jul 23 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
This is going to be interesting to see when dance's so-called "decline" really began, at least for me - apologies for those who love the mid or late noughties dancewise but they're not for me I'm afraid! 2000-2003 contain most of the best of the decade, for the mid-noughties it's the indie rock that ruled and the late-noughties is all about the pop, although I have fond memories of the mini-Eurodance comeback around 2008 and looking forward to seeing if a few Clubland acts make it to #1! It's odd when I think about it as I was eleven when the decade started and twenty-one while it ended, so in theory I should enjoy the songs more as the decade goes on as I evolve from a S Club 7-listening primary school kid to a cider-swilling student raver, but it's the stuff that was released before I even went near a club I like the best.

I was following the charts quite heavily by 2005, but often with frustration as dance just seemed completely dead as a chart force, the very occasional breakout/crossover hit that would go top 10 but on the whole very few standouts. But at the time I dismissed all the 80s looped-house stuff as not "proper" dance music, so there was probably a lot more around than I noticed at the time - looking forward to hopefully being pleasantly surprised! By 2009 it was getting harder and harder to differentiate between dance and pop, as the "club banger" sound came in and started to take over the charts - I'm somewhat relieved the decade does end there so we don't get any arguments as to whether the likes of 'We Found Love' or 'Starships' etc are pop songs or dance songs, and god forbid the poor sod who ends up doing 2010-2019 as it's surely an impossible task!

But yeah, without getting too ahead of myself - early 2000 was phenomenal for dance music, the charts in the first few weeks of the year were crammed full of underrated classics and disc 2 of Now 45 is a brilliant listen for the sounds of the time. I've always really liked 'Adelante' especially (#1 in Scotland and a really random huge hit in Australia, who hadn't really taken to Sash before but it peaked at #4 over there) - it's all about the different layers coming in one by one, particularly after that odd stuttering accordion bit in the middle, and struck me as a great update of his usual sound.

This post has been edited by BillyH: Jul 23 2016, 12:29 AM

+Quote this post
danG
post Jul 23 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #51
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Artful Dodger & Romina Johnson - Movin' Too Fast

Date 27th Feb 2000
2 Weeks
Official Chart Run 2-4-7-12-19-25-32-36-43-60-68-x(4)-64-x (12 weeks)

After a successful debut with the song you saw earlier in this thread, Artful Dodger would go on to have a very successful 2000 releasing three singles all of which made the top 10. 'Movin' Too Fast' was the immediate follow-up and would give them their second and final UK #2 single, which would remain their highest chart peak.

The song was a more subtle approach to garage, with a prominent bassline synth but quite minimalist in production, which worked in its favour after their debut being a more in-your-face anthem. If anything the song feels like it would work well as a house song also, certainly moreso than 'Re-Rewind'.

Featuring the smooth vocals of session singer Romina Johnson, it sold nearly 126,000 copies in its first week of release, and about 320,000 in total. This was not nearly enough to dethrone All Saints whose 'Pure Shores' remained at #1 for a second week. Johnson would make the lower end of the chart only once more after this, having a #59 hit with 'My Forbidden Lover', a cover of the Chic 1979 single.

The song and band's success would be mainly limited to the UK, though 'Movin Too Fast' would also make the top 40 in Ireland and Norway. An album would come at the end of the year which would eventually reach #18. It would be their only one, although apparently they are still active (according to Wikipedia anyway) however with different members to those that produced this song.

This is not the last we see of Artful Dodger in this rundown.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post Jul 23 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #52
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275
Now this is a lot better than Re-rewind! dance.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jul 23 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #53
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I liked that Scanty Sandwich track at the time, very much capitalising on the Fatboy Slim sound though as you say in the write up.

I also really enjoyed Movin' Too Fast, pretty sure that's my favourite of all the Artful Dodger tracks. I remember really disliking Adelante at the time but I listened to it again when you posted it and it's really not that bad, probably aged better than most of the other Sash! singles actually.

+Quote this post
danG
post Jul 23 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #54
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Chicane (feat. Bryan Adams) - Don't Give Up

Date 12th Mar 2000
2 Weeks
Official Chart Run 1-3-5-7-16-25-37-47-44-52-56-72-65-72-x (14 weeks)

English producer Chicane, real name Nicholas Bracegirdle, was one of the most prolific trance producers of the late 90s and early 00s - first breaking through with 'Offshore' which made the top 20 in '96 as well as '97 following a vocal mix. 'Saltwater' would give him his first top 10 hit in '99, going to #6, which would be followed up by this. Both songs are taken from his second studio album 'Behind the Sun', and the album version of 'Don't Give Up' is 8.5 minutes long. The video edit is linked above at a more digestible 3.5 minutes. Label troubles meant his third album wouldn't be released until 2007, but since then albums have come more regularly, with his sixth album having been released last year.

The song would debut at #1, giving Chicane and the label Xtravaganza its first #1, but not without strong competition from the previous week's chart topper, Madonna's 'American Pie'. Chicane would win by just 1,224 sales, selling 75,470 copies that week. By today's standards it would probably be considered a non-number one, having only sold about 270,000 sales in total. In fact it's probably not even Chicane's signature song.

It would also be the second number one single for Bryan Adams. His vocal on this however is heavily processed so as to not sound like a rock vocal as he usually would, although it is still recognisable. It would be the second time Chicane worked with Bryan Adams, previously remixing his single 'Cloud Number 9' which was used as the single mix, reaching #6 in the UK chart.

Chicane would go on to have two more top 10 hits, 2006's 'Stoned In Love' and 2009's 'Poppiholla' (my personal favourite from him), both of which reached #7. He still releases music to this day (his latest single 'Carry Me Home' was released just last month).

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 23 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Movin' Too Fast is also excellent, very easy on the ears & one of those tracks I think a lot of people recognise but don't know who made it. Their first 2 singles were in a different league to the rest of their output.

Don't Give Up is one of those songs I completely forget about until reminded of, nothing really outstanding about it really & definitely didn't deserve #1 over a lot of songs in 2000.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jul 23 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #56
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
That Chicane album wasn't too bad actually, they had a really strong run of singles from Offshore all the way through to Poppiholla and are definitely one of my favourite chart style dance acts to have emerged.

+Quote this post
Colm
post Jul 23 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
Two absolute tunes. I got Don't Give It Up on 12" when I was in Manchester in May. Love it to bits. I like the video a lot too.

Moving Too Fast is great too. My fave Artful Dodger song is Think About Me which featured Michelle Escoffery. MTV Base used use the intro piano riff with their ident.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 23 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #58
Group icon
The music in Artful Dodger and Romina Johnson one sounded quite sad to me when I was younger and it still does really, especially that zylophone bit.

Its hard to know the difference between UK Garage and deep house, especially in the 2013 to 2015 period when a lot of dance songs had both (Shift K3y, Disclosure, Gorgon City etc.) and even now the likes of Freak like Me by Lee Walker, DJ Deeon, MNEK and Katy B has elements of both.

The Chicane and Bryan Adams song is an amazing deep house tune, much better than early 2010s deep house for me anyway as it was less about the 'drop' then and more about the song itself so songs were smoother. Later on in the 2000s there were good deep house tracks that did well (although not all of them well enough to make this thread) from Roger Sanchez, Jakatta, DB Boulevard, Moony, Angel City and Lara McAllen (Love Me Right), LMC and Rachel McFarlane, Deepest Blue, Deep Dish (Say Hello and Dreams), LNM Projekt (Everywhere), Solu Music, Fish Go Deep and Deadmau5 (I Remember).

My favourite Chicane song is still Stoned In Love with Tom Jones, although the Bryan Adams one is close for me.

This post has been edited by Mountain Marquis: Jul 23 2016, 12:48 PM

+Quote this post
Ne Plus Ultra
post Jul 23 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,817
I love Don't Give Up & Moving Too Fast wub.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jul 23 2016, 01:19 PM
Post #60
Group icon
I was following the charts quite heavily by 2005, but often with frustration as dance just seemed completely dead as a chart force, the very occasional breakout/crossover hit that would go top 10 but on the whole very few standouts. But at the time I dismissed all the 80s looped-house stuff as not "proper" dance music, so there was probably a lot more around than I noticed at the time - looking forward to hopefully being pleasantly surprised!

The 80s looped stuff was dance music of course, if you say that it wasn't then Philip George - Wish You Were Mine, Joe Stone - This Is How We Do It and Sigala - Easy Love aren't either as those are also looped remixes. smile.gif I preferred the 2005 80s remixes to the 2015 organ house looped remixes, they were more fun, nostalgic and retro sounding.

But there were lots of dance tracks that weren't looped 80s remixes that made the top 40 in 2005. Most of them were disco influenced funky house songs. I can see why dance purists may not like them especially after trance (which was producing gradually less chart hits as eurodance started to take over in 2003 and was mostly dead itself as a chart force by the middle of 2004) but I think the retro revival was good and made a change back to retro nostalgic sounding dance music after futuristic trance and before futuristic electro. Also it has good crossover appeal, which we are seeing now with a few disco influenced dance songs in the charts recently like Tears and Cry.

If you didn't like funky house though, there were other dance tracks in 2005 that made the top 40 that were progressive house, deep house, minimal house, trance, eurodance and even drum and bass.

This post has been edited by Mountain Marquis: Jul 23 2016, 01:46 PM

+Quote this post

105 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:10 AM