BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comparison Platforms, What's the best way to discover new music?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Jul 23 2016, 03:39 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry this is not chart related, but I was unsure where to post. If the moderators wish to love the topic to a better location feel free!

I want to ask the forum about music comparison platforms, and how accurate they are when it comes to finding similar music to what you are listening to, or if you want to discover new songs that fit your personal tastes.

Here's what I know so far;

* iTunes has Genius.
* Spotify has Go to Radio.
* Deezer has Similar Artists.
* Last.fm has Similar Songs/Artists (though this feature seems to have been heavily reduced from what it was before
* Shazam has Recommendations.
* Soundcloud has Stations.

What these platforms aim to do is connect you with artists or songs which you may not have heard of or realised sound the same as your own music library.

What I want, in simple terms, is a reliable platform where, if I type in a song, or if I'm playing a song I want to discover similar music, I get a list of good quality results of songs that are most like the song I typed in, or what I'm now playing in that moment.

From experience, which do you find is most accurate in its results and is there another platform which could fulfil this requirement more suitably?

Thanks all. happy.gif

This post has been edited by awardinary: Jul 23 2016, 03:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Jul 23 2016, 06:40 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist gives you new artists based on what you have listened. I found Kelela from there.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jul 23 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SKOB @ Jul 23 2016, 07:40 AM) *
Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist gives you new artists based on what you have listened. I found Kelela from there.

That is quite useful to have yes, but what about when you want a specific sound similar to something your now playing?

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jul 25 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #4
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary @ Jul 23 2016, 11:03 PM) *
That is quite useful to have yes, but what about when you want a specific sound similar to something your now playing?

I would tend to open the artist page on Spotify and look at 'related artists'. Or alternatively, look the song up on youtube and see what songs appear in the sidebar. Spotify and youtube are my go-to to discover new music.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:29 AM