BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> KYLIE SINGLES RATE ● RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post May 17 2018, 02:27 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Higher has been the biggest of the casualties for me but even that I didn't expect to do big things, so it's not a loss as such.

Top 60 and all with a 6 or higher average is pretty good going I'd say!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post May 17 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
I have a certain fondness for Limpido and I am proud to give Higher -1 because the song is just plain lazy.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 17 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #23
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Re: The earlier discussion about Sexy Love, I have to say that it isn't one of my personal highlights from Kiss Me Once. I mean it's a nice song, but I don't believe it's "the single that could have been". I think Kiss Me once is an album that lacks clear single choices, although if I was to have been in charge of selecting something, I'd probably have gone with the title track.

My other personal favourites from the album are: Feels So Good (a track I disregarded back in 2014, but it has really presented itself to me while I've had a retrospect listen through!), If Only and Fine.

I actually think the album gets more of a hard time than it deserves. That era is tainted by I Was Gonna Cancel being a total misfire of a choice that made things come to a standstill. I'd say choosing Sexercise and Beautiful to draw more attention to the album was a bad call too... the former is divisive, while the latter has a grating vocal effect that spoils what otherwise could have been an ok ballad.

~~~~~

In the last section - none of those are huge losses for me, so these results are going well so far! I quite liked Higher at the time, but I think it's aged poorly - it's a shame that it's highly likely to remain as her final Top 10 hit (unless "Sigma feat. Kylie" happens!). Only You is a very sweet cover, but that placement is fine for it. I've never been wild about Where Is the Feeling - I appreciate that it's quite experimental, but I don't find it to be a particularly interesting listen.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 17 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #24
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Never heard of 'Limpido' up until this rate, a nice little number but all that memorable and not something I would go back to again. Probably ranks at about the right position on here.

'Only You' - A nice enough cover with some really beautiful piano sounds going on here, and actually surprised that this never made a dent on the UK Top 100, given that James Corden's names attached to it, plus surprised that there wasn't a video made for it (a proper one, not a lyric), maybe that would have boosted it a bit higher and considering that several of the other tracks had videos for them, I think this kinda got overshadowed and lost amongst the shuffle of the far better X-Mas tracks namely 'Santa Baby'.

'If You Were With Me Now' - Again another beautiful ballad, although this is far better than 'OY', quite surprised that this is the lowest from the 'LGTI' era, especially when there's the not so great lead single still in the running. I feel that this is underrated and seems forgotten amongst her more showier hits, and yeah this was a safe single option after 'WIO' underperformed, but it did do the trick and saved the era from flopping.

'Where Is The Feeling' - Never been that keen on this, even in it's original album form, found it kinda filler-ish and in it's single form very uncommercial, but this was Kylie in her experimental phase of her career and got to hand it to her for not playing it safe, even if it didn't quite work out. Also why was this released so late, coming 8 months after the last single, I think that basically killed the album's chances of succeeding further and not getting that second wind. 'Time Will Pass You By' was planned to follow this but got scrapped in favour of that Nick Cave duet, which was a shame as it's Paul Masterson remixes were really good, as were the remixes for this track.

'Higher' - Really liked this at the time, but never go back to it anymore and I totally agree with the other comments on here, that it's very dated (just like Taio Cruz's career) seriously what ever happened to him. I was glad that this gave Kylie a much needed and probably final top 10 hit of her career. On the whole though not that bad of a song and Kylie's verses really makes the whole thing shine and it's definitely the best one out of the other versions of this song. Kylie bringing her usual spark and magic to the proceedings and in my opinion she's the only reason why this song is even half remembered.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 17 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #25
Group icon
I predict that 'Tears On My Pillow' and maybe 'Word Is Out' maybe in the next bunch to drop out + possibly 'It's No Secret' + 'Better Than Today' can't possibly last much longer as well.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 17 2018, 05:00 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 17 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #26
Group icon
For anyone whose interested here are the results from the last singles rate back in 2014 =

01. Confide In Me // 9.857
02. On A Night Like This // 9.66
03. All The Lovers // 9.589
04. Better The Devil You Know // 9.535
05. I Believe In You // 9.267
06. Love At First Sight // 9.107
07. The One // 8.964
08. Can't Get You Out Of My Head // 8.714
09. Your Disco Needs You // 8.678
10. In My Arms // 8.607
11. Into The Blue // 8.553
12. I Should Be So Lucky // 8.535
13. Get Outta My Way // 8.517
14. In Your Eyes // 8.5 //
15. What Do I Have To Do // 8.5
16. Spinning Around // 8.375
17. Hand On Your Heart // 8.339
18. Step Back In Time // 8.339
19. Put Yourself In My Place // 8.321
20. Slow // 8.142
21. Red Blooded Woman // 8.142
22. Wow // 8.035
23. Timebomb // 8
24. Come Into My World // 7.678
25. Got To Be Certain // 7.66
26. Never Too Late // 7.625
27. 2 Hearts // 7.607
28. Wouldn't Change A Thing // 7.482
29. Did It Again // 7.428
30. Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui // 7.41
31. Where The Wild Roses Grow (Ft Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) // 7.375
32. Especially For You (Ft Jason Donovan) // 7.357
33. Shocked // 7.339
34. Kids (Ft Robbie Williams) // 7.25
35. Turn It Into Love // 7.196
36. Flower // 7.178
37. The Locomotion // 7.107
38. Higher (Ft Taio Cruz) // 7
39. Chocolate // 7
40. Breathe // 6.91
41. Please Stay // 6.892
42. Giving You Up // 6.839
43. Crystalize // 6.796
44. What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before) // 6.75
45. Some Kind Of Bliss // 6.571
46. Finer Feelings // 6.535
47. Give Me Just A Little More Time // 6.5
48. Better Than Today // 6.5
49. Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) (Pete Hammond Mix) // 6.089
50. Cowboy Style // 6.017
51. It's No Secret // 6
52. All I See // 5.964
53. Word Is Out // 5.66
54. I Was Gonna Cancel // 5.625
55. Where Is The Feeling // 5.517
56. Tears On My Pillow // 5.5
57. If You Were With Me Now (Ft Keith Washington) // 5.5
58. Beautiful (Ft Enrique Igelesias) // 5.125
59. G.B.I. (German Bold Italic) // 4.446
60. Celebration // 4.357

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 17 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
If You Were With Me Now is lovely ballad and strong duet. Disappointed to see it so low.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 17 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(SamJudd @ May 17 2018, 05:51 PM) *
Also why was this released so late, coming 8 months after the last single

Wiki says that it was intended for April but was pushed to July so Kylie could complete filming on Bio-dome. Don't know why because I don't think Kylie actually did any promo for the song anyway.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 17 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ May 17 2018, 04:54 PM) *
Re: The earlier discussion about Sexy Love, I have to say that it isn't one of my personal highlights from Kiss Me Once. I mean it's a nice song, but I don't believe it's "the single that could have been". I think Kiss Me once is an album that lacks clear single choices, although if I was to have been in charge of selecting something, I'd probably have gone with the title track.

My other personal favourites from the album are: Feels So Good (a track I disregarded back in 2014, but it has really presented itself to me while I've had a retrospect listen through!), If Only and Fine.

I actually think the album gets more of a hard time than it deserves. That era is tainted by I Was Gonna Cancel being a total misfire of a choice that made things come to a standstill. I'd say choosing Sexercise and Beautiful to draw more attention to the album was a bad call too... the former is divisive, while the latter has a grating vocal effect that spoils what otherwise could have been an ok ballad.

Agreed with all of this. There's a fair few songs I really like on Kiss Me Once but I can't say any were particularly crying out to be a single. Well, Sleeping with the Enemy was but being demoted to bonus track status suggests it wouldn't have been in the running as a single. Still, as you say, with better choices of songs used to promote the album, I think it could be much better regarded than it was.

Feels So Good has always been one of the standouts for me, glad you love it too!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 17 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ May 17 2018, 04:54 PM) *

I suppose I agree to a point. In an album lacking killer single choices, 'Sexy Love' stands out head and shoulders over the rest to me but in terms of her overall back catalogue I don't think of it as a "single that never was" (like I do with 'Secret (Take You Home)' and 'Like A Drug', for instance).

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: May 17 2018, 05:55 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 17 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Nothing from Kiss Me Once ever had the missed opportunity feel. La Sex, was possibly the only song i would have liked to have single status but its not something i would feel strong about. Like A Drug and the The One for example are the opposite, they screamed single status and i would still say the same in 20 years time.

+Quote this post
Jade
post May 17 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
'Where Is The Feeling?' was such a good discovery *.* I am a sucker for that trip-hop kind of sound. <3 Can see why it didn't do much better here though as it is quite a departure from her usual stuff. 'Limpido' was quite a nice switch-up as well, the Italian language is lovely.

I hate the other three songs here however laugh.gif the James Corden and Keith Washington duets were horrible discoveries (both really dull and lifeless) and 'Higher' has always got on my nerves for some reason. Good riddance x

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 18 2018, 02:38 AM
Post #33
Group icon
This is what my single choices from 'Kiss Me Once' would have, for a start I would have had 'Sleeping With The Enemy', 'Mr President' & 'Sparks' on the standard edition and now with my personal choices =

Into The Blue - Of course this was the most obvious choice and the only right decision made for this era, but would have it available for downloads + sales straight away instead of months later, which cost it a possible top 10 position.

Les Sex - Definitely the best sex titled track out of the 3 and the strongest album track in my opinion. Not saying that it would have been a smash hit or anything, but surely it couldn't have done any worse than 'IWGC', and also gave this a better video.

If Only - One of the more R&B based sounds on this album and could have shown another side to the album and released this alongside 'Crystalize' as an extra bit of promo.

Sleeping With The Enemy - I know that this was a deluxe only track and wasn't even considered, but looking at the album itself nothing else really stuck out for me, I know a lot of people thought 'Kiss Me Once' should have been released, but I've never seen what all the fuss was about, yeah it's a decent pop song, not single material though, like most of the album.

As for a promo/buzz music video release, instead of that awful 'Sexercise', I would have went for 'Sexy Love', 'Kiss Me Once' or 'Feels So Good', I dunno I'm very much undecided on that choice, but definitely have the other 2 as promo tracks. So yeah tell me what do u guys think of my choices.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 18 2018, 02:40 AM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 18 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(SamJudd @ May 18 2018, 03:38 AM) *
Into The Blue - Of course this was the most obvious choice and the only right decision made for this era, but would have it available for downloads + sales straight away instead of months later, which cost it a possible top 10 position.

Of all the things that prevented it making the top 10, I really don't think that made any difference. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post May 18 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
QUOTE(SamJudd @ May 18 2018, 03:38 AM) *
So yeah tell me what do u guys think of my choices.

Nice. I would've enjoyed that little run.

You've made me think 'Kiss Me Once' actually had a few potential hits. I love all your single choices.

I probably wouldn't choose 'Feels So Good' for promo. That one drags on a bit for me.

But all better choices than 'I Was Gonna Cancel'. wacko.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 18 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
On Air / On Sale wasn't a release strategy that was popular back in 2014 (after a brief spell in 2011, it only caught on during Autumn 2015) so think that would have hindered the chances for 'Into the Blue' even more. But you're right, it was the only choice for lead single.

I'd have had 'Les Sex' as just a promo and go straight to 'If Only' as second single.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 18 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I couldn't do what I wanted to do
When my lips were dry

60. Santa Baby // 6.05 (2: Monzo // 9: Liam, Stuart25)
59. It's No Secret // 6.06 (4: Jay, Theo // 10: Hide&Seek)
58. Kids (with Robbie Williams) // 6.15 (-1: Hide&Seek // 10: Nick Jonas)
57. Cowboy Style // 6.2 (2: Monzo // 9: Qween)
56. Better Than Today // 6.23 (1: Stuart25 // 10: Qween)

Arguably more known than the Eartha Kitt original, Kylie's rendition of 'Santa Baby' ramps up the sexiness; her playful tone making the suggestive lyrics even more naughty. It's a tantalising listen but doesn't ever come across as smutty, with the tongue-n-cheek nature of the song still present - you can almost hear the giggle when Kylie beckons you to "trim her Christmas tree"! This cover definitely brings a lot of laughter to my Christmases.

The first of the 80s songs to leave is 'It's No Secret'. The single was released in select countries only, originally intended to be a worldwide release but rejected following the ongoing success of 'Especially for You' and plans to move onto 'Hand On Your Heart' in the Spring. It follows the theme of being unlucky in love that is prominent in her debut album but similarly keeps the cheeriness in the production. A pleasant enough song for me but definitely the weakest of her 80s singles.

Kylie's return to her sexy pop image at the turn of the millennium brought about a collaboration with pop's sexiest man, Robbie Williams. 'Kids' was written by Robbie and his longtime collaborator Guy Chambers when Kylie approached him for songs for her album ('Loveboat' and 'Your Disco Needs You' are in fact Williams-penned too). Robbie enjoyed the track so much that he turned it into a duet, also including it on his own album. It's hard to think of the song without one of them being there, with Kylie and Robbie teasing each other as they trade lines in the verses before exploding into an irrepressible pop-rock chorus. I still have no idea what the song is meant to be about (particularly Robbie's closing "what can I rhyme Sean Connery with?" rap) but it's such a delightful collaboration with plenty of sizzling chemistry and bonkers lyrics to belt out.

The last main single of the 90s, 'Cowboy Style' only received a release in Australia and New Zealand through Mushroom Records, following Kylie's departure from Deconstruction. It has a strong Celtic influence, with bursts of big tribal moments, yet the song as a whole generally remains quite mellow. A strange combination but the result is quite enticing.

'Better Than Today' was originally performed by singer-songwriter Nerina Pallot for her 2009 EP Buckminster Fuller, later given to Kylie when she approached Nerina to work with her for Aphrodite. With the help of the album's main producer, Stuart Price, the song was reimagined into a bouncy feel-good anthem. The production doesn't skip a beat of joy and Kylie's sugary-sweet vocals soars to impressive highs.

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 18 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Kids and Better Than Today are much to low. That said, Kids doesn't appear popular on any Kylie forums.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 18 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I don't get why Kids is quite unpopular with some fans. Is it because it's always performed on tour, perhaps too much than people would like?

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post May 18 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 18 2018, 11:15 PM) *
I don't get why Kids is quite unpopular with some fans. Is it because it's always performed on tour, perhaps too much than people would like?

1. It's performed too many times
2. It's just a terrible song

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:44 PM