BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dexter, Limited series announced for 2021
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Cremey
post 17th April 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #121
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Cheers for the recommendations!
I've heard good things about 'True Detective' so I'm thinking that's a good starting point.

'Hannibal' looks good too! Definitely gonna check that out.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 14th October 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #122
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Dexter is back to his blood-splattering ways after Showtime ordered a new limited series reboot of the long-running serial killer drama.

Michael C. Hall, who played Dexter in the series, which ran between 2006 and 2013, is back with showrunner Clyde Phillips.

The network has handed the series a ten-part run that is set to go into production in early 2021 with a tentative premiere date of fall 2021.

The original followed Dexter Morgan, who was a complicated and conflicted blood-spatter expert for the Miami police department that moonlighted as a serial killer.

Gary Levine, Co-President of Entertainment at Showtime, said that the network was only willing to revisit the “unique” character if they could find a creative take that was “worthy” and they have “found it”.

Always knew it would come back in some form after the absolutely terrible ending. Interestingly, the show runner involved is the original one who certainly oversaw the show during the peak before it went off the rails..

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 14th October 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #123
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

2020 finally delivering good news? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Absolutely over the moon. One of my fave all time shows wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th October 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #124
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Yep. So, SO hyped for this wub.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th October 2020, 05:12 AM
Post #125
Group icon
User: 13,007

ohmy.gif!!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 15th October 2020, 05:14 AM
Post #126
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Dexter is one of my alltime favourite tv shows, it was the first show I ever binge watched and the first I ever truly got into honestly. I loved the characters, I (mostly) loved the storylines, it's no doubt a classic. Season 4 is my favourite but Seasons 1-5 are all amazing. It began to flail a little bit towards the end but stayed relatively strong until it got to the finale.

I think Dexter is one of the only shows ever where the majority of it's fanbase detest the finale. Sure there's the rushed and unfinished-feeling ending of Game of Thrones, the highly controversial How I Met Your Mother final season, the utterly all over the place end to Lost, The Sopranos, Seinfeld etc. etc. there's an endless list of great television shows with ruined endings but none of them are all widely hated as Dexter (although GoT is close). That said, I still love Dexter. My dog is named after him and my sisters dog is named Rudy. My USERNAME is inspired by Dexter. I sincerely hope they do the show justice - the fact that the show runner from S1-4 is returning is a really good sign

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th October 2020, 05:21 AM
Post #127
Group icon

QUOTE(Dexton @ Oct 15 2020, 06:14 AM) *
Dexter is one of my alltime favourite tv shows, it was the first show I ever binge watched and the first I ever truly got into honestly. I loved the characters, I (mostly) loved the storylines, it's no doubt a classic. Season 4 is my favourite but Seasons 1-5 are all amazing. It began to flail a little bit towards the end but stayed relatively strong until it got to the finale.

I think Dexter is one of the only shows ever where the majority of it's fanbase detest the finale. Sure there's the rushed and unfinished-feeling ending of Game of Thrones, the highly controversial How I Met Your Mother final season, the utterly all over the place end to Lost, The Sopranos, Seinfeld etc. etc. there's an endless list of great television shows with ruined endings but none of them are all widely hated as Dexter (although GoT is close). That said, I still love Dexter. My dog is named after him and my sisters dog is named Rudy. My USERNAME is inspired by Dexter. I sincerely hope they do the show justice - the fact that the show runner from S1-4 is returning is a really good sign

I agree with all of this but... Sopranos? That was pretty much perfect from start to end, including the finale unsure.gif

Your username derived from this show? Who knew ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 15th October 2020, 07:31 AM
Post #128
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(HausofGhibli @ Oct 15 2020, 01:21 PM) *
I agree with all of this but... Sopranos? That was pretty much perfect from start to end, including the finale unsure.gif

Your username derived from this show? Who knew ohmy.gif

Sopranos is only just on that list tbf, I just found the ending a bit.. flat? After everything that happened I just expected a bit more of a bang. I think a big issue with a lot of tv show endings is trying to live up to the hype and success of previous seasons which 9 times out of 10 the finale can't reach. In dramas theres often a lot of different plots and relationships going on which need to be resolved by the end and I find a good portion of shows wait until the last episode to really tie things up to the point it feels a bit rushed. You can't expect a show that's gone on for 6+ years to be consistent all the way through of course but it's great when they do laugh.gif I haven't watched Breaking Bad yet but according to everyone I've spoke about it that apparently had a perfect ending. I'd say that The Good Place had a perfect run too and The Office ended great despite a rocky 1 1/2 seasons.

And yes my username is from the show! Well it's from my dog to be exact but close enough. There is a reason I went for Dexton and not Dexter but I can't remember why

Maybe I'll change my name to Dexter and spam the shoutbox with quotes from the show and defend it to my grave

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 15th October 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #129
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505

QUOTE(Dexton @ Oct 15 2020, 08:31 AM) *
Maybe I'll change my name to Dexter and spam the shoutbox with quotes from the show and defend it to my grave

!!!

Seinfeld’s ending wasn’t even that *bad* in my opinion. Yes, there were too many clips from previous episodes but they ALL deserved to go to prison!

Newman should’ve got banged up too laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 15th October 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #130
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

Of all the "big" shows I've watched and like some of the ones you listed Dexton, Breaking Bad has the best and most complete ending. When you end any show it is always going to poloraising, some will hate it and some will love it. This is a common theme in most big TV shows. However like you said, the ending to Dexter is just atrocious. Genuinely the worst ending to any TV show I have ever seen.

I can only assume it was so bad as Showtime knew one day they would like to bring the show back so asked Dexter not to be killed off.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 15th October 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #131
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Dexter was the worst finale ever. To the point that it made me hate the show, and still. not sure if I'd be on board now.
The character of Dexter's sister was the best TV character ever.

but Lost was up there as an awful finale, and GoT too, well the whole last season of GoT was awful.
House of Cards was pretty bad too.

I guess the moral of the story is there is no easy way to end a long running tv show.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 15th October 2020, 02:00 PM
Post #132
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(Seinfeld @ Oct 15 2020, 04:20 PM) *
!!!

Seinfeld’s ending wasn’t even that *bad* in my opinion. Yes, there were too many clips from previous episodes but they ALL deserved to go to prison!

Newman should’ve got banged up too laugh.gif

I think it felt a little rushed that’s all, I watched the final 2 episodes again just last week and it all happens very fast. I love the idea of them going to prison for just being horrible people and all the throwbacks with old characters and clips was a perfect way to do so. It just happened a bit too fast tbh. Also being among a below average season doesn’t help its cause. I believe the show had been cancelled or they were very afraid of being cancelled at that point which may have contributed too

GoT suffers the same problem but it’s entirely their (the creators) fault. Rushed rushed rushed for no good reason. House of Cards PERSONALLY needed Kevin Spacey to be good. I understand why he was removed and it was fully the right thing to do but I honestly would’ve rather them cancelled the show than have Claire take over as it just didn’t feel right. If that’s where they were headed originally then okay but it just needed more time to flesh out his downfall & her rise. Again, not exactly the showrunners fault but it still could’ve been handled much better

Basically yes the more years a show has been on air the harder it’ll be for them to tie things off nicely... unless the whole point was to leave the door open for a reboot (ie Roseanne, Will & Grace, Prison Break, now Dexter)

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 15th October 2020, 02:56 PM
Post #133
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Bjork @ Oct 15 2020, 01:46 PM) *
Dexter was the worst finale ever. To the point that it made me hate the show, and still. not sure if I'd be on board now.
The character of Dexter's sister was the best TV character ever.

but Lost was up there as an awful finale, and GoT too, well the whole last season of GoT was awful.
House of Cards was pretty bad too.

I guess the moral of the story is there is no easy way to end a long running tv show.

I disagree, I thought LOST's finale was great and I didn't even think the Game of Thrones finale was that bad either. I find with all these shows ending is they are bad because they didn't end how people wanted them to. I agree there is no easy way to end a long running TV show and final seasons are often divisive. Dexter's was just so bad though as it un-did so many good seasons worth of character development. I truly believe the only way you can ever end Dexter is by having him punished for the crimes he committed or by being killed off.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 15th October 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #134
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(Dexton @ Oct 15 2020, 02:00 PM) *
I think it felt a little rushed that’s all, I watched the final 2 episodes again just last week and it all happens very fast. I love the idea of them going to prison for just being horrible people and all the throwbacks with old characters and clips was a perfect way to do so. It just happened a bit too fast tbh. Also being among a below average season doesn’t help its cause. I believe the show had been cancelled or they were very afraid of being cancelled at that point which may have contributed too

Seinfeld wasn't being cancelled - it was the #1 show on television! It was their choice to end it.

Either way, there's just no way they can screw Dexter up anymore? Just have him finally go to prison and end up on death row. pirate.gif

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 16th October 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #135
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505

Yeah, I don’t think Seinfeld was in any danger of being cancelled when it was regularly getting 30+ million viewers per episode tongue.gif

Let’s be real, NBC were desperate to keep it going for another season at least and even offered Jerry $5 million per episode to keep it going for a tenth season! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 17th October 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #136
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

Supposedly the 10-episode miniseries won't "rewrite the finale"or anything like that is is set 8 years after the original finale following actual time since then. It also won't be set in Miami, and means that Deb is indeed still dead.

However I do think she will come back as a "ghost" kind of like how Harry was in the original series always there in Dexter's mind. Now it'll be Deb haunting his memories day-to-day. I'd love for her to return anyway

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 17th October 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #137
Group icon

QUOTE(Dexter @ Oct 17 2020, 04:18 PM) *
However I do think she will come back as a "ghost" kind of like how Harry was in the original series always there in Dexter's mind. Now it'll be Deb haunting his memories day-to-day. I'd love for her to return anyway

That's what I think too!

So excited for this and all of the rumours/teasing that is to come until it airs.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 25th June 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #138
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a3684092...ng-infuriating/

Couple of interesting things from Michael:

-They've got around 5 weeks of filming left
-Looking set to premiere in the States on November 7
-He hinted it could go on BEYOND the revival, saying "I'm going to say...maybe" when asked ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 9th November 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #139
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

Anyone else seen the first episode?

Harrison looks really old considering isn't he meant to be about 14? Be interested to see how they play that storyline out. I liked how they really tried to pull Dexter back in to his rules, as after Season 5 he just went off the rails. Guess we're going to see a different type of Dexter this time around, suspect he will constantly make mistakes and those townfolk get a bit suspicious..

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 9th November 2021, 10:54 PM
Post #140
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Is Dexter worth watching from the beginning if you’ve never watched before?

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 01:12 PM