BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rudebox, the album: The reviews, Warning: Spoilers inside
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
LifeLight
post 2nd October 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19

Don't know if this has been posted...

from Q

Fallen Angel: He can do whatever he wants. But why, oh why, this?

What a bizarre, baffling and downright strange record this is. Robbie Williams' seventh studio album is easily the most peculiar of his normally streamlined career. It doesn't even seem like a "proper" album, more a collection of b-sides and experiments that would ordinarily be saved for the end-of-career boxset. Or a Pet Shop Boys boxset, since one one track, We're The Pet Shop Boys (originally by obscure electro artist My Robot Friend - chorus: "We're The Pet Shop Boys!") seems like a mix-up at the playlisting plant.
Another four of the remaining 16 songs are covers, increasing the feeling that something is not quite right at Williams HQ. Tabloid editors will find that Rudebox adds plenty to the saga of his tortued psyche. Staunch fans, such as the millions who turned out for his recent stadium tour, will ask one of two questions. Either, "Who's stolen our beloved entertainer, the brilliant song-and-dance man who brightened our the last decade of our lives?" Or, more bluntly, "What the hell is this?".
For Williams himself, Rudebox is an apparently straightforward affair. "I suppose I've been trying to please a lot of people that are unpleaseable," he said recently. "Now I'm 32 and I've just gone, Oh f*** yeah, this is me."
So how, exactly, has Robbie Williams pleased himself? He's decided to blow off some steam, billing Rudebox as simply a collection of songs and styles he loves. The reality is a sketchy mix of baggy, rap, electronic and pop tracks patched together by a whole gang of collaborators. His most recent aide-in-chief, Stephen Duffy, recieves a sole co-write, the Black Grape-lite of Keep On, plus a Hi-NRG cover of his 1985 solo hit Kiss Me. Elsewhere there's assitance from the Pet Shop Boys, fashionable New York hip hop DJ Mark Ronson and veteran dance producer William Orbit, among others.
Inevitably, Rudebox is all over the shop, although not without flashes of excellence. On the few occasions that song, collabarator and the Williams chutzpah chime, it is indeed a blast. Lovelight (penned by UK soul man Lewis Taylor) is nimble RnB that channels the spirit of George Michael's Fastlove. Cheek is added to the swagger with the cover of world music nabob Manu Chao's King Of Bongo (retitled Bongo Bong here). The Gypsy punk original - about misunderstood musical prodigy, "a King without a crown" - is now a thumping OTT romp, with chav princess Lily Allen chirruping, "King of the bongos/I'm King of the bongos/Bong!" in the background. The Pet Shop Boys offer their usual class and polished synths, producing She's Madonna, an ode to the titular star's pulling power with a killer chorus: "I love you, baby/But face it, she's Madonna".

And that's largely it for high points. All good pop stars are magpies and great ones - such as Madonna - make pilfered styles their own. Left to his own devices, without a Duffy or, God forbid, a Guy Chambers, to bounce off, Williams seems incapabale of editing hit output. The two junior baggy tracks, Keep On and Good Doctor, are particularly woeful. And not just because of Williams' ludicrous bid to out-gibberish Shaun Ryder ("Can't speak/Ting tong ting!"), but because he also mimics his intonation, attempting to plunder some kind of street cred into the bargain.
Anyone who's heard the album's title track will also realise that what's currently fun for Williams isn't quite so terrific for the listener - it's hip hop as interpreted by Michael Barrymore. For Williams this may be the point; he's happy being "some end-of-the-pier entertainer", as he recently described himself. After all, it's helped endear him to the nation, not to mention baffle perfectionist America. Sometimes, though, being a bit shonky isn't charming, it's substandard.
More worryingly, Williams sounds trapped, obsessing over his past during a final, vaguely themed section of the album that covers his childhood (The 80s) and the blissful interlude of acid house (the otherwise lovely, Orbit-produced Summertime). Sometimes he sounds like he's trying to bottle fleeting moments of happiness, others like he's still not grown up. (As Q went to press, The 90s, a track which covers the Take That years, was hauled off the album due to remarks about their manager, Nigel Martin-Smith).
He lashes out even more wildly on barmy "secret" track Dickhead. A psuedo-Eminem rant arriving seven minutes after the close, its venom is aimed at anyone who's ever crossed him, especially rock critics: "What do you expect?/Dickhead!/Radiohead?/Dickhead!" It doesn't do him any favours, especially not when he warns "Size 10s, dickead!/Break your shins, dickhead!/My security is a dangerous crew/They'll kick f***/Out of you".
If, as its authot insists, Rudebox showcases the "real" Robbir Williams, on this showing he's bored and directionless. Of course, he is also the leading British pop star of his generation, someone who's earned the right to do exactly what he wants. Including relase a confused folly of an album. But just because you can do something it doesn't mean that you should.

** - Average

Download: Lovelight, She's Madonna and Bongo Bong

Further Listening:
The Human League - Hysteria

Sly & Robbie - Rhythm Killers

Mano Negra - King Of Bongo

Pet Shop Boys - PopArt: The very best of Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, electronic pop veterans and world-class songwriting duo, who lent their skills to Williams on the arch She's Madonna. ***** - Q Classic

Lewis Taylor - Stoned, Pt.1

LifeLight
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
suse
post 2nd October 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 403

Gee Thanks Lifelight...I was actually trying to avoid that one sad.gif . I like the Mojo one much better.

Rudebox is another flick of the Vs to all those who doubt the substabce behind Robbie Williams' incorrigible irrepressibility. Initially concieved as a quick and dirty reposte to last year's occasionally overwrought Intensive Care, Rudebox, with its mixture of autobiography, Stoke-on-Trent vernacular and well-chosen covers ( among them Louise by Human League, Manu Chao's King of The Beat - with Lily Allen - and Stephen Duffy's Kiss Me ) ia an intriguing, funny and inventive listen. The highlight is the Pet Shop Boys collaboration,She's Madonna. Camper than Spanish footwear, it acts as a golden showcase for the glory of millennial pop. In another time, we'd have feted Williams as an ian Drury figure. With this sloppy,happy,ingenious record, maybe its time we did.

Thanks to tess at Purerobbie

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 2nd October 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #3
Group icon
"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of
User: 254

From Vicky biggrin.gif

HIS BABY.....

Robbie's new album Rudebox is his baby - he loves every track and says it's a collection of songs he listened to in his bedroom.

It has eclectic mix of disco, hip hop electronica and Eighties pop and country.

Track by track.

Rudebox is released on October 23rd, with the single out on September 4th. Check out the Rudebox dance at www.rudebox74.com

1. RUDEBOX

I branded it the worst record in history.

Robbie says it's his favourite track on the album, but it is one of those tracks you either love or hate. I am pleased to say the rest of the album has some real corkers on it.

2. VIVA LIFE ON MARS

This has a real country feel about it with banjos and harmonica as accompaniment. You can almost imagine Robbie line dancing to this one in the video.

3 LOVELIGHT

This is Robbie doing his best Jake Shears impression with an impressive falsetto vocal performance.

This Mark Ronson collaboration will be massive on the dance floors, it has a catchy disco-inspired funky tune that Jamiroquai's Jay Kay will be miffed that he didn't come up with. A No.1 hit.

4. KING OF THE BONGO Pirate.gif

This features the vocals of Lily Allen and is a cover of the Manu Chao world classic. Robbie adds his own touch to it by rapping in FRENCH.

5. SHE'S MADONNA

My favourite track, this collaboration with the Pet Shope Boys has beautiful chords, a simple but effective melody and Robbie's vocal sends shivers down the spine.

Robbie sings about wanting to take Madonna home. It's about him telling his current girl "I'm sorry love, but she's Madonna"

A definite No.1 single.

6 KEEP ON

This is Robbie doing 1989 style baggy pop - I am thinking Happy Mondays, Primal Scream. Robbie doing Indie funk with Lily Allen on backing vocals, a stomping, uplifting tune.

7. GOOD DOCTOR

A hilarious pop at American precription drug culture, it is a hip hop classic produced by Mark Ronson. Clever, funny and very different from anything Robbie has done.

7. THE ACTOR

This is Robbie's stab at German electro pop. And although he insists it isn't about any actor, he raps about Joaquim Phoenix.

9 NEVER TOUCH THAT SWITCH

Produced by fellow Stoke natives Soul Mekanik, Not my fav on the album..

10. LOUISE

Robbie asked William Orbit to help apply some of his genius to this classic Human League song. It was one of Robbie's favourites while growing up.

The end result is quite simply breathtaking. It's chilled, ambient and pop at its best.

11. WE'RE THE PET SHOP BOYS

A cover of a cover, Robbie teamed up with Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe to cover their cover of My Robot Friend's track.

12. BURSLEM NORMALS

He rekindles his partnership with Rock DJ collaborators Danny Spencer and Kelvin Andrews.

It's a haunting electronic ballad with Robbie's vocals stripped back to basics.

13. KISS ME

Joey Negro helped work his magic to cover this classic Stephen Duffy track.

Robbie said: "I wanted to help Stephen realise what a brilliant song this is"

14. THE 80's

Inspired by Mike Skinner and the Mitchell Brothers, this is all about Robbie growing up in 1980s Stoke-on-Trent. Robbie is at his cheeky, hilarious best and the lyrics are so raunchy! he'll have to make sure his mum doesn't hear them.

15 The 90s

Love this track. It's Mike Skinner inspired. It charts Robbie's torrid time during the Take That years. He has a pop at Gary Barlow, and ex-manager Nigel Martin Smith should beware. Robbie's most inventive track on the album.

16 SUMMERTIME

Another William Orbit chilled anthem with soaring vocals and strings. I can just imagine listening to this as the sun sets in Ibiza at Cafe Del Mar

Thanks Jackie happy.gif

+Quote this post
troublepink
post 2nd October 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590

QUOTE(Scotty. @ Oct 2 2006, 04:19 PM) *

12. BURSLEM NORMALS

He rekindles his partnership with Rock DJ collaborators Danny Spencer and Kelvin Andrews.

It's a haunting electronic ballad with Robbie's vocals stripped back to basics.

i cant wait hear this one thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Maite
post 2nd October 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Reality Killed The Video Star
User: 1,240

QUOTE(Scotty. @ Oct 2 2006, 03:19 PM) *

4. KING OF THE BONGO Pirate.gif

This features the vocals of Lily Allen and is a cover of the Manu Chao world classic. Robbie adds his own touch to it by rapping in FRENCH.

don´t you love it, scotty happy.gif

+Quote this post
Nada
post 3rd October 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Don't give up on the dream, don't give up on the wanting
User: 660

QUOTE(Mayte @ Oct 2 2006, 05:05 PM) *

don´t you love it, scotty happy.gif

I think he DO love it... sleep.gif biggrin.gif

Or maybe not??? unsure.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 3rd October 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The Last of the Rock Stars
User: 368

Look at this review from someone called 'Peter' on Amazon. Wonder how he has managed to hear the whole album? unsure.gif
Or maybe he hasn't. dry.gif

Funny he hasn't actually commented on any individual track except Rudebox. rolleyes.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B000HC2MFC/...1888425-8211665

+Quote this post
ZiggyStarDust
post 3rd October 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 1,396

Whahahahaha, tasteless sucker this 'Peter" from Amazon. Some people dón't regonize diamonds when they see them.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/AhlS...R0010375_av.jpg

+Quote this post
Maite
post 3rd October 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Reality Killed The Video Star
User: 1,240

Was this review helpful to you? yes no (Report this)

certainly not sleep.gif

cheer.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 4th October 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Here is the full length review featured in the new October issue of Gay Times: laugh.gif

So Robbie’s gay after all then. Well one would certainly be forgiven for thinking so, if his latest “experimental dance” opus is anything to go by. May I present the evidence, m'lord?

1. The much-maligned Rudebox with it’s constant references to dirty bumsex including, shock, horror, the Robster himself on the receiving end. “So sick I just had to take it”? Well no one's forcing you.

2. Next single the insanely catchy Lovelight, with its pitch-perfect falsetto disco does the unthinkable and manages to out-camp the Scissor Sisters. No mean feat.

3. Lyrically the alluring electro-ballad Burslem Normals is a bitter Morrissey-inspired barb against Burberry bling chav culture though the music is pure ABBAesque Erasure only with a more expensive synthesizer.

4. And speaking of synth duos, he then ropes in his and our favourite double act Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe on two of the most accessible tracks here: We’re The Pet Shop Boys is a hard-edged cover of a cover where the narrator wistfully reflects back to a time in the 80s when he and his lover thought of themselves as the Pet Shop *Boys*.

5. And if that wasn't enough, PSB crop up again on She’s Madonna, a gloriously Motowneque sweeping synth anthem that manages to plagarise many of the pop duos past hits with a ridiculously rampant Robbie vocal. A future No.1 if ever I heard one and possibly the best thing Robbie or the Pets have put their name to for, like aeons. So ignore my tittle-tattle on which way Robbie is well swung, because, on the face of it, the song seems to provide ‘proof’ of Robbie’s heterosexuality. With a chorus of “I love you baby, but face it, she’s Madonna/No man on earth could say he don’t want her.” But hang on, surely even someone as buffeted from the real world as him would know that the 48-year old Madge vadge is about as appealing to the straight male population as rice pudding? Ah, she's one of those 'gay icon' type thingies, yes? I get it now.

Elsewhere there’s an intriguing ragbag of ideas, from solid covers of 80s pop faves Louise and Kiss Me (Human League and current writing foil Stephen ‘TinTin’ Duffy respectively), Hunky Dory-era Bowie tributes (Viva Life On Mars and The Actor) and a Streets-lite two-part autobiographical suite The 80s and The 90s, where lyrics such as “Ah it’s nice that you’ve got a mansion/While I’m treated like the drummer from Hanson” prove that the ex-boybander’s Post Take That Member Trauma is still as evident and as brilliantly twisted as ever. Strange fascination indeed.

**** thumbup.gif
Steve Pafford

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 4th October 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #11
Group icon

cheer.gif

A great review. yahoo.gif

Really looking forward to hearing this album. thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
suse
post 5th October 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

And there was this one from August thumbup.gif

His latest song is certainly strange, but Britain's greatest entertainer is brimming with new-found confidence, says Neil McCormick

Has Robbie Williams lost his marbles?

Is Robbie Williams' new single the worst record ever made?

A new single has been unveiled on the nation's airwaves, although you could be excused for not immediately recognising it as the work of Britain's most popular entertainer.

Over some squelchy noises, a sparse, electronic bassline and a chorus melody blatantly borrowed from reggae legends Sly and Robbie's '80s dance classic Boops (Here to Go), Williams delivers a nonsensical, scatological rap in a bored Stoke-on-Trent accent.

"Up your jaxie, split your kecks, sing a song of Semtex, pocket full of Durex." It's a long way from Angels.

Rudebox (as it is aptly titled) is more of an electro skit than a song, almost deliberately amateurish, squeaky clean yet oddly lo-fi.

It is a record so bizarre, it is hard to decide whether its a work of wonky genius or a bad joke.

That, in fact, may be its charm. The Sun, never a paper given to understatement, has declared it the worst record ever made, but Williams himself is so pleased he has announced that, after some 15 years in the music business, he has finally found his true musical identity.

"I was just doing my YTS [Youth Training Scheme] up until now," is his typically double-edged pronouncement, at once self-deprecating (suggesting his former work is nothing to be proud of) and egotistic (the best is yet to come).

Rudebox is to be released next month, with an album to follow in October, recorded in a flurry of creative activity with a variety of collaborators, including ambient boffin William Orbit and club guru Mark Ronson.

Rumours abound that Robbie has abandoned his pop fan base to embrace underground dance culture. So does this mark the birth of Electrobbie? Has he invented a new genre of pop hop?

Or is this set to be one of those embarrassing follies de grandeur that sometimes occur when you allow a star complete creative control, or even a blatant attempt to fulfill contractual obligations with the least possible effort (most notoriously achieved by Lou Reed in 1975 with two sides of screeching feedback released as Metal Machine Music).

Having had a sneak preview, I think its safe for EMI's shareholders to come in off the ledge. It is true that there is a lot of rapping (ranging from Williams's patented comic deadpan to high speed onomatopaeic nonsense), an emphasis on '80s-referencing synths and dance beats, some odd cover versions (from the Human League to world music star Manu Caoi) and a general sense of anything goes.

But, while the anthemic, widescreen pop that established Williams as a family favourite is nowhere in evidence, his well-honed entertainer's instincts, lively sense of the absurd and notoriously short attention span ensure that he remains engaging even at his most self-indulgent.

The songs are short if not always sweet, packed with hooks and delivered with a real spirit of fun and creative freedom. With 16 tracks, none of which outstays its welcome, the overall impression is of ideas piling up. If one crashes and burns, another one will be along in a minute.

It may not please the entire demographic of his enormous audience, but that is what makes it such an intriguing project for such an inveterate crowd pleaser.

At times, it has seemed Robbie Williams can't make up his mind whether he wants to be Liam Gallagher or Frank Sinatra, but this is the eccentric sound of a man with a new-found confidence in his own talent.

Given that Williams has been a solo star for 10 years, it is probably not before time.

Another good one in a long winded round about way thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 5th October 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon

From Popjustice yahoo.gif

IPB Image

Official is what this $h!t is: Robbie's 'Rudebox' is the best thing he has ever ever done. (We mean the album, not the single. Obviously.) It's funny and sad and danceable and sitdownable and just generally VERY GOOD INDEED.

Maybe we will do a proper review tomorrow

+Quote this post
dazzleland
post 5th October 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away
User: 944

That's AWESOME!!!!

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 5th October 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #15
Group icon

yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 5th October 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Hope there is a Popjustice review tomorrow. cheer.gif

+Quote this post
suse
post 6th October 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

From Uncut Magazine

ROBBIE WILLIAMS
Rudebox ***

Robbie forgets America and hits a career high

Robbie's struggle between instinctive perversity and commercial ambition seems, for the moment, to have been won by the former. Rudebox is the album he should have made, but bottled, with last year's Intensive Care, and seems to mark his final disregard for breaking America. It's not always pleasant, it's a good half-hour too long, and he should have ditched the fairly pointless covers (the Human League's "Louise", Stephen Duffy's "Kiss Me"), but, at its best - as on "Burslem Normals" or diaristic "The 80s" - it's the funniest, most adventurous and liveliest record of his career.

STEPHEN TROUSSE

Thanks to RWAP
yahoo.gif cheer.gif thumbup.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 6th October 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Excellent.

I was about to buy Uncut Mag today cause Oasis are on the cover. i will DEFINATLY get it now yahoo.gif

Q is the only bad review biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 6th October 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Is 3 stars good? unsure.gif Guess it must be. thumbup.gif

Wonder if Rudebox is going to be an album loved by the critics and Robbie Diehard fans but not so loved by the 'masses'. After all, the masses buy Dido. rolleyes.gif

I really can't wait to hear this. yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 6th October 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(jupiter9 @ Oct 6 2006, 11:18 PM) *

Is 3 stars good? unsure.gif Guess it must be. thumbup.gif

Wonder if Rudebox is going to be an album loved by the critics and Robbie Diehard fans but not so loved by the 'masses'. After all, the masses buy Dido. rolleyes.gif

I really can't wait to hear this. yahoo.gif

I think it is 3 out of 4 stars happy.gif

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 22nd May 2024, 05:58 AM