BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melodifestivalen 2020 / heat one / Linköping (1st Feb)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Jan 28 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Born as the first month dies, as spring appears as distant as a fire on the horizon, a single light appears in the darkness, declaring a single phrase...Nu kör vi!

I'm presuming that MOST of you will know what Melodifestivalen is but if you don't, last year's introduction is your friend. Truly there can be no better way to celebrate "Brexit Actually Bloody Happening" weekend than by importing all of your Saturday night entertainment from Scandinavia for six weeks *.* Anyway, in terms of the "Grand Narrative" of Melodifestivalen this year it's probably the fact that we've had five straight years of Male winners with what seems to be increasingly diminishing returns (especially in the televote) for Sweden at the main event in May so expect to see a concerted effort on the part of homosexual foreigners to finally get a woman winner after Saint Sanna in 2014.

1. The Mamas - Move

If these three seem familiar to you, it'll be because they are literally 60% of the Swedish performers in Tel Aviv last May (not because they're three of the five Muses from Hercules either, despite there being a tall glamazon and a funny fat one). Their song is supposedly a rousing Gospel number (i.e. Too Late For Love, part ii) which, to your humble narrator at least, is like catnip. And as far as predictions go, this is kind of uncharted territory that last year's backing singers for the winning act become their own entry. Nobody can accuse them of not striking while the iron is hot but will Sweden go for that particular iron?

2. Suzi P - Moves

(Yes I know we've gone from 'Move' to 'Moves' we get it)
Ah, the classic "unknown singer in slot 2 with something contemporary" opening heat staple. But it would be foolish to write this one off as she's just off the back of a pretty big Streaming hit in a genre that's growing in popularity in Sweden (Hip Hop). Suzi P claims she's going with more of a pop/dance influenced sound so there's potentially a dark horse that could surprise you and take out your fave of the week - hey, two years ago a relative unknown was wheeled out as Song 2 in Heat 1 and a year later he won the whole thing!

3. Robin Bengtsson - Take A Chance

Two years on from his starring role as Sweden's most photogenic serial killer and Eurovision entry, Robin Bengtsson is back after...well, lets just say not quite the career you'd like after a fifth place finish at Eurovision itself (hell, maybe Sweden's so much on Autopilot that a 5th place is just at parr for what they expect). So one suspects he's more here to give his career a shot in the arm rather than compete for the crown but still this will be in amongst the main contenders. But can Robin convince Sweden that he's not just a has been?

4. Malou Prytz - Ballerina

Speaking of surprise DTFs, yagirl Malou is back after being the fresh faced newcomer last year and returns as an experienced and wisened...sixteen year old. Her song is delivered by the Holy Trinity of G:son, Bostrom och Jannsson and is described as "modern arena pop" and THIS. IS. WHY. I. CAME. HERE. BITCH! Hook that straight into my veins, oh Melfest, it's been so long!

Miss Prytz has already gone DTF once, can she do it again?

5. OVO - Inga problem

In days of yore I'd have had a whole spiel ready to go about the token nods that they give to "non mainstream pop" music but, as I mentioned with Suzi P, Hip Hop is growing in popularity in Sweden so maybe we shouldn't write off the "deffo sixth placer" just yet.

...seventh place however...

6. Sonja Aldén - Sluta Aldrig Gĺ

Look, I've always been taught to respect my elders so there will be no disrespect here but, for all that she'll be mentioned in the same breath as the other legacy acts in this year's contest, even when she was at her peak in this thing, Sonja's still always been the B-List Balladess of the Schlager divas. The best she's ever done is Andra Chansen and I don't see her being competitive enough to get as high up as that. So enjoy this for what it is, she'll get some interest in the inevitable follow up album and that's probably all she really wants.

7. Felix Sandman - Boys With Emotions

The most successful member of the most perpetually underachieving boyband (I mostly say this to wind up Jack but there is still yet to be a member of FO&O beat 3rd place in a Melfest heat and other than Oscar is the only one to have even made the top 5 as a solo act) is back after finishing in 2nd place to lil Benji in 2018. So the benefit of writing this once the lyrics are out means that I know that this is going down the line of men being able to talk about their feelings and how toxic masculinity is bad and that's actually a commendable message but jesus christ there's enough drippy "sadboi" ballads in music these days that I don't come to Melfest for versions of songs that are two a penny on any Spotify playlist. IIRC this is the current favourite to win which I can see the reasons for but I don't think a sadboi ballad is going to stand out in what may well be a saturated field of sadbois. So will this be a glorified Felix coronation or might the ball about to be dropped?

-x-

So, the press will hear the tracks for the first time on Wednesday evening so keep your eyes glued to twitter for the live responses. 1 minute clips of the studio versions and 30 second previews of the artists stage rehearsals go live on Thursday, the poll of the audience at the dress rehearsal show on Friday night drops after the rehearsal finishes and the main show begins on Saturday evening and now every week is a week closer to Spring!

Happy Mellofuckingdifestivalen!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2020, 01:31 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I am interested in the hip-hop ones and I was in a coma for much of last year as I don't recall Malou but she'll probably be interesting too.

death to bengtsson and sandman

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 29 2020, 01:56 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Part of me thinks Malou might be a shock 5th (if not Robin totally embarrassing himself), but if she can randomly go DTF with a cute enough bop last time, then surely with writers like those she's flying?? Also very intrigued by the Mamas and Suzi P, and none for Felix Sandman bye x

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Jan 29 2020, 02:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
Predix based on nothing

DTF: Felix och Robin
AC: Mamas och Malou
5th: OVO
6th: Suzi
7th: Sonja

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Jan 29 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
RLY RLY hoping that Malou can pull it out of the bag, she's got such potential. Just about everything she's released since MF is better than I Do Me.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 29 2020, 11:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Love the sound of Malou's song from the press reviews, Billie Eilish/Sia esque ohmy.gif I can already very much do without Robin's purported Ed Sheeran vibe :')

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Jan 29 2020, 11:41 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
Hope Malou can at least go AC but preferrably DTF. Her output post-Melfest19 has been amazing. Felix is definitely DTF, no question about it. Sincerely hoping Robin is AC while Malou is DTF.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 30 2020, 01:10 PM
Post #8
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
The Mamas and Malou have by far the best clips. "Move" is rather repetitive but it's a total bop. The Sia comparison is fitting for "Ballerina" and the staging sounds very good, I hope she can go DTF again

Hope to be sold by Felix more once hearing the full thing. I want so badly to be on board, but I'm just not a fan of the speak-singing thing

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 30 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Musically I don't mind Boys With Emotions which I'm surprised at, but I still can't get past the lyrics! :/

Ballerina tho!! Malou is not here to play *.*

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Jan 30 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
Despite having two really amazing songs this heat, I'm underwhelmed. I'm a greedy homeaux I'll admit.

The Mamas: Jesus the clip starts right when it's 10/10. But yes, very repetitive. Thank god they're in Heat 1 because I think this song will get on peoples nerves.
Suzi P: Good beat.. everything else is just ehh.
Robin Bengtsson: So I don't get Robin at all. This is his 3rd song and all three songs have been very different. I don't get his brand. This is a good sounding song I guess, but I don't know why it was given to Robin, it doesn't align to what he just did to win a few years ago. This sounds like something that should have gone on Mĺns Zelmerlöw's last album.. just as an album track.
Malou Prytz: SOOOOO GOOODDDDD. My favorite from the clips. I didn't much care for 'I Do Me' but her album had spectacular songs and this stands up to those songs.
OVO: Great track.
Sonja Alden: Guess we know when my bathroom break will be.
Felix Sandman: So. This is. Really cringe. Really bad. The performance better be good.. and I'm sure it will be, because as a song this is not good.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jan 30 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
I think the obvious five in the mix are still the obvious five.

The Mamas is more of a bop than a banger but Gospel is always better with live vocals than on a studio recording. Malou is the obvious highlight and I can really see the Sia comparisons and Felix...I just really don't know what to make of that. I need to see snippets of the staging to make a proper judgement.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 30 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Yeah definitely, I haven't changed my mind on the top 5 in the mix, I'm hoping Felix will just bore people and end up only AC with Malou DTF. I think if she can go DTF with I Do Me against the odds, with a song like Ballerina and good staging, she's through surely?

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post Jan 30 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519
I’m alarmed to say that Felix Sandman sounds the most intriguing of all of those? I like the minimal production, a bit Troye Sivian?

This is fairy strong heat.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Jan 30 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
What's the point? We know a solo male is going to get picked AGAIN...

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post Jan 30 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245
...after the 30 second clips...

The Mamas: Good to see that it won't be AS ANNOYING as I initially thought.. but I don't see how this is all that different from John's song/performance... minus John.
Suzi P: Best of the bottom 3 really.
Robin Bengtsson: So this is basically just Mans' releasing 'Run For Your Life' in Melodifestivalen. He wouldn't ever because that wasn't good.
Malou Prytz: Thee first 8 seconds of that was painful. Everything after the first 8 seconds was YESSSSSSSSSS.
OVO: Hopefully there's some appeal on the day.. this is a hot mess.
Sonja Alden: Guess we know when my bathroom break will be.
Felix Sandman: Yeah, this is going the IF I WERE SORRY/DANCE YOU OFF route. Impeccable staging, even for a rehearsal. This is going to do well.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jan 31 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Genrep results:

Felix Sandman – Boys With Emotions (215 röster – 33,5%)
The Mamas – Move (198 röster – 31%)
Malou Prytz – Ballerina (86 röster – 13%)
Robin Bengtsson – Take a Chance (78 röster – 12%)
Sonja Aldén – Sluta aldrig gĺ (42 röster – 6,5%)
Suzi P – Moves (11 röster – 2%)
OVÖ – Inga problem (11 röster – 2%)

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 31 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #17
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
No surprises regarding the top 4..I know it’s not always an accurate indicator but tomorrow night I’ll be relieved as long as Felix doesn’t pull an Oscar

+Quote this post
LexC
post Jan 31 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
It's certainly interesting to see the clear separation of the top 2 and then the next 2.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 31 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
Seems about right, wouldn't be surprised to see one Mamas swap with one of the other two but that could easily be the actual result.

+Quote this post
LexC
post Feb 1 2020, 06:55 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Five minutes queens, I want NAMES AND NUMBERS!

+Quote this post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:42 AM