BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month #11 (double figures!), indie invasion!! // + links + write-up
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Oct 25 2016, 12:36 PM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

It's nearing the end of October, and this week sees my 3rd male #1 of the last month and this year's second by Empire Of The Sun. Spooky! They're the first act since I started doing these charts weekly to chart more than one song at the top spot. Noonie Bao slips to #2 and is joined in the top 5 by (predictably) George Maple, (less predictably) Warpaint's Above Control, and (it was only a matter of time) M0's latest effort, the BloodPop/Blood Diamonds-produced Drum. Outside the top 5, Solange and Hayley Kiyoko move into the top ten, and we see a few new entries and re-entries in the lower portion of the chart. More detail on that in the next post; for now, here's my top 40 in full up to the last quarter of October:

01 Empire of the Sun - To Her Door [3-1]
02 Noonie Bao - Reminds Me [25-6-1-2]
03 Warpaint - Above Control [8-5-3]
04 George Maple - Lover [7-4]
05 MØ - Drum [N]
06 The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy [12-4-6]
07 Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel to Tempo [17-7]
08 Ritual ft. Mononoke - Bottle Tops [19-8]
09 Sia ft. Kendrick - The Greatest [22-5-3-2-9]
10 Solange - Don't Wish Me Well [11-10]
11 Britney Spears - Mood Ring [13-8-11]
12 Jones - Wild [34-22-12]
13 Kaiser Chiefs - Why Do You Do It To Me? [38-13]
14 Usher ft. Future - Rivals [17-10-14]
15 Lucas Nord ft. Naomi Pilgrim - Do About It [14-15]
16 Janet Jackson - Take Me Away [28-18-16]
17 Boston Bun ft. Loreen - Get Into It [16-17]
18 Feeder - Eyes to the Sky [27-18]
19 Møme - Aloha [25-20-19]
20 Alicia Keys - Blended Family [24-20]
21 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10-3-3-X2-36-23-4-6-21]
22 Youngr - Out of my System [16-5-1-1-9-22]
23 Everything Everything - I Believe It Now [37-7-11-13-23]
24 Sleigh Bells - Champions of Unrestricted Beauty [18-21-24]
25 Green Day - Ordinary World [33-25]
26 Maria Hazell - Debut [14-5-15-26]
27 Wolf Alice - Freazy [35-27]
28 Minks - Doomed and Cool [28-28]
29 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [40-29]
30 Jagwar Ma - Slipping [N]
31 Disco Fries ft. Shy Martin - Is It Over [23-31]
32 Wide Awake ft. Lovelle - Young God [N]
33 Holychild ft. RAC - Power Play [26-33]
34 Jones - Bring Me Down [37-34]
35 Lil Debbie - Wiggle [N]
36 Ariana - Into You [17-18-13-X3-32-22-14-12-36]
37 Body Language - Just Let It [29-X1-37]
38 Years and Years - Meteorite [38-33-29-38]
39 Bastille - Warmth [34-16-X1-39]
40 Grimes ft. Aristophanes - Scream [36-40]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
YoungR - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)
Empire Of The Sun - To Her Door (1)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 25 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

Closer continues its run as longest-runner, with Ariana’s Into You and Everything Everything also notching up impressive chart runs. There’s some re-entries down the bottom of the chart, but a lot of the holdovers down that end are clinging in by the skin of their teeth. Jones, Kaiser Chiefs, Feeder and Wolf Alice are variously flying the flag for Britain this week. Jones in particular is well worth checking out, I haven’t seen much promo for newly-released album New Skin apart from a feature on Honne’s album, but it’s up there for me this year as a solid one that would be worthy of a Sound Of… winner. Big mix of genres this week which tends to happen as we move into the autumn and I start playing slower indie and alt stuff. Some links to selected tracks to follow:

This is great. It’s produced by BloodPop, who’s previously worked with Grimes and more recently, most of Gaga’s album Joanne. Has a sound of MO’s early stuff from her first EP and album, which takes us back to 2013 if you can believe it. That was pre-blonde hair and funky wardrobe, but she’s an indie girl at heart. This is very danceable too. Full marks!

Warpaint - Above Control
Still struggling to find a link for this one. It’s very shoegaze, and very like I guess Warpaint’s previous album tracks, which is probably why it’s been one of the first to grab me. I’m fond of retro styled and psychedelica as it takes me away to far off places when listening. Fans of HAIM might like this one. I’m surprised it charted so high though; lack of challengers this week. Warpaint’s second top 5 of the year zooms in this week at #3.

Ritual are pretty hit and miss. Usually a little slow and morose for me, but I’ve liked some of their past tracks – particularly Josephine featuring my old fave Lisa Hannigan. Some of you might remember her as Damien Rice’s ex who featured on his first album and single Volcano. Maybe some of the older members! This one’s a charm though.

Surprised I haven’t seen this one about more, as it seems to feature two of BuzzJack’s current darlings. I can take or leave Loreen, most of her music is a bit samey to me (don’t shoot) but this is pretty enjoyable. Boston Bun (always makes me hungry, writing that one) energizes the production, driving this one up the chart. #17 this week.

Is that…dubstep? A little, and this goes a bit harder than I normally go for, but it’s a good flashback to the kind of thing I used to listen to circa about 2011. Lovelle is a pretty passionate vocalist a bit reminiscent of Guetta’s fave Vassy, and this is restrained enough for me to still be able to do work to it, so a winner for me. Probably good to hear at the gym too I imagine. This week’s #32.

This is great. Just like Galantis if they’d gone in a slightly different direction. I would have said it was summery, but I wonder how much of that is the bright single cover. As is I find myself listening to this a lot on the way to and from work in October. Whoda thunk! Worth a shot or playlist add.

And we close this week with the zany Scream by Grimes featuring Korean rapper Aristophanes. Initially released as a promo single around this time last year, the track recently got a video and captions of Aristophanes’ Korean lyrics. To say they’re strange and disturbing is only the start, but knowing what she’s talking about adds a lot to the track. Check it out. Sneaking in at #40 this week.

As always, questions, comments, discussion and/or recommendations are all welcome!

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Oct 27 2016, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Oct 26 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #3
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Jupiter,

Great to see Drum enter biggrin.gif

Will need to listen to that Feeder track, Iiked Eskimo but haven't heard the rest of the album

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 27 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

Cheers Pete! The Feeder track is a slower one but its good to have some old-style radio rock time to time.

Drum is a banger, excuse the pun. Could've seen it go all the way but I think Rockabye will be coming for that crown next week!

Write-up and links for this week up now too

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 27 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #5
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Hey there Jupiter hi.gif

Ooh Empire Of The Sun ;o I loved 'We Are the People' back when that was smashing #commercialhoe kink.gif

The highlight for me here is 'Drum' entering in your top 5! It hasn't quite hit me in the way that 'Final Song' did but still pretty solid.

Great stuff happy.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 29 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Taaanks Jade! Empire of the Sun are great, and just got a new lease of life this year from one of their older songs taking off in the US, 8 years late!

Drum is pretty awesome hey? Final Song was actually a slow burner for me, funny how that happens eh!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:57 AM