BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Regina's Top 20 Madonna Songs
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Jan 19 2018, 08:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Dun dun DUUUUUUNNNNNNN...............

*i hope this is okay? I didn't ask permission*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 19 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
No no this is fine! Looking forward to this! I just know there's going to be some interesting choices.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 19 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Before we kick off, a few songs that sadly missed out

Crazy For You
Don’t Cry For Me Argentina
Gang Bang
Jump
Love Don’t Live Here Anymore
Open Your Heart
Rain
Sky Fits Heaven
Vogue

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jan 19 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Ooh looking forward to this...

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 19 2018, 09:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Open Your Heart just missing out </3

Hype!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 19 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Crazy for You and Open Your Heart are two of her top three songs for me so gah at both of those missing out already. True Blue rounds out the trio for me so hopefully see an appearance from that here?!? wub.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 20 2018, 11:39 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Raining Shitter

20. You Must Love Me

First off we have a song from Madonna's role in the musical Evita. The song was specifically written for the film version by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice and Madge
undertook vocal lessons in order to train her voice for this musical. Clearly they worked as this is one of her most emotive performances and one of her best ballads. The song was a
top 10 hit here in the UK and won the Golden Globe and Oscar for Best Original Song.

19. Gone

Popping over to the Music album next.
The closing track for the album not including bonuses and what a closer. A slow guitar led ballad, the song lets her voice shine.
William Orbit's production kicks in after the first chorus and really lifts the song up. This acoustic/electronic sound would feature heavily on American Life,
this song bridges the gap between the two albums really well and has some really powerful lyrics too.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jan 20 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Gone is an amazing choice

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Jan 20 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Not really a fan of You Must Love Me, it's okay in context in the film but I'd never choose to listen to it otherwise. Gone is a good choice though, I don't think I included it back when I did a list but I do really like it.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 21 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Raining Shitter

18. Live To Tell

The lead single from True Blue and one of her defining ballads IMO. I do like me a Madonna ballad.
The song was a #2 here and a #1 in America and the video for it has her looking a lot like Marilyn Monroe. A really powerful and
intoxicating ballad, with some of her best lyrics and vocals. The performance from the COnfessions Tour has become infamous due to
her wearing a crown of throns and being strapped to a giant cross for most of it. I have included it above and urge you all to watch it.

17. American Life

Oddly enough, this song comes from the album American Life. It also has a lot in common with the video for Live To Tell in terms
of subject matter. The song tackles the theme of the American Dream and the general attitudes of the country at the time, something that holds a smuch
power now as it did in 2003, one of the reasons why I love it. I also adore her rap. Not even sorry. The original video features a ilitary fashion show that combines with
scenes of war and destruction. It was scrapped and swapped with a video of flags, due to the invasion of Iraq and backlash it recieved,

This post has been edited by Regina: Jan 21 2018, 04:32 PM

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 21 2018, 05:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Yes to both of them two songs especially American Life which has become a staple of hers for me wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jan 21 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I love all those songs that missed out, but then all the songs that have made it into the Top 20 so far are also fab.

I don't really return to 'You Must Love Me' but it's still a gorgeous piece and Madonna gives a heartbreaking vocal performance. The S&S Tour version blows me away.

'Gone' is one of my favourites from Music; touching on what you said, Grant, it has one foot in Ray of Light and the other in American Life. It's both dreamy and profound, always leaving me reflective when I've finished listening to it.

'Live to Tell' is one of her best ballads with really powerful yet ambiguous lyrics. The Confessions Tour version is indeed incredible, bringing draws your attention to the lyrics and Madonna sells the song with such conviction. One of her best performances.

The original video for 'American Life' is one of my absolute favourite videos from Madonna. The song itself is great too; I just love how brash it all is with the spiky production and the overly simple rhyming and lyrics. It just seems to work so well within the context of the song and seems to highlight Madonna's humour.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jan 21 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
American Life is harmless enough but is not good enough for my top 50 😉

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 22 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Raining Shitter

16. Oh Father

Another one of those ballads. This time from the overly overhyped Like A Prayer album.
A song about her complicated relationship with her father apparantly, it really hits you in the gut with it's lyrics
and vocal delivery. Despite being recorded in the 80's, it didn't chart in the UK until the mid 90's where it got to #16.

15. You'll See

The lead single from Madonna's ballad compilation Something To Remember, an album made to soften he rmage after the Erotica era.
You'll See was the first single from it and was a top 10 here and in the UK. It was, at the time, her highest debut in the US when it entered at #8.
A much more powerful and authoritative vocal from Madge, the song really shows how she can be powerful without needing to be overly sexual.

This post has been edited by Regina: Jan 22 2018, 06:36 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jan 22 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Two amazing choices

My top selections would be all ballads too .

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 22 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Raining Shitter

14. This Used To Be My Playground

Used for the film A League of Their Own, the song sits between Rescue Me and Erotica, an interesting sandwich.
Another heartfelt ballad, this time about letting go fo the past, or not as the case may be. It's for a stunning backing track
and again has some gorgeous vocals. The song gained her a #1 in the US and a top 5 in the Uk, as well as a Golden Globe
nomination.

13. Queen

One of the newest songs on my list, from the Rebel Heart album.
A truely honest song and one that deals with a legacy being lost and of someone reaching the end of their life/reign at the top.
A similar theme has just been done in Kylie's new single. Rebel Heart had a share of...interesting song choices but then there are enough
songs like this to prove Madonna is still able to knock it out the park. It's a really haunting song, especially the "may God bless you all..." outro.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 22 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #17
Group icon
User: 13,007
Catching up!

Gang Bang
Jump
Open Your Heart
Rain
Sky Fits Heaven
Vogue

^ these are my massive favourite from those that missed out wub.gif

I expect to see a few American Life tracks here so good to see the title track appearing.

Live to Tell is a STUNNER and Oh Father is possibly my favourite traditional ballad from her. Queen is one of my favourite tracks from RH so a brilliant inclusion here <3

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jan 22 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I don’t listen to queen enough because it was a leak.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 23 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Raining Shitter

12. Bedtime Story

Hey it's not a ballad!
The third single from the Bedtime Stories album, this sounds so much like a Bjork album, weird.....not really, she co-wrote it.
More in line with the Ray of Light album than Bedtime Stories, for that reason it really stands out and is just a hypnotic sonic orgasm.
It did well here in the UK getting to #4 but underperoformed in the US, missing the top 40, her first to do so since Burning Up.
The video is super amazing too, better check that out.

11. Candy Shop

Yes. Really. No joke, not a typo.
Is this her best collection of lyrics? It is her most adventurous production? No. Is it fun beyond words? YES.
The opening track of Hard Candy, this song just lifts my mood everytime I hear it, which has been ALOT recently. I actually listened to this
after my last operation and it took my mind off my sore eye for a couple minutes. I even adore the "my sugar is raw" line and the Sticky & Sweet performance
is iconic too.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 23 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Now we're venturing into the top 10, anyone care to hazard a guess as to what might be there?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:09 PM