BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How would you rank today's biggest popstars?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Atonement
post Sep 10 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
QUOTE(مدهش* @ Sep 10 2014, 08:08 PM) *
Pink's discography is pretty impressive when you stop and think about it isn't it? Her album sales have been remarkably consistent for a pop act.

Except the quality of her music hasn't sad.gif such a decline after 'I'm Not Dead'.

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Sep 10 2014, 08:36 PM) *
Iggy is certainly bigger than Ariana, that is without question.

Really? Ariana has 'Break Free', 'Problem' and 'Bang Bang' which are on the radio at least 3 times a day each! Iggy is very popular in America but not sure how far it goes beyond that.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Sep 10 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #22
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764
QUOTE(•CDC• @ Sep 10 2014, 08:34 PM) *
I'd say Gaga is hovering around the outside, I can't make up my kind whether Demi or Gaga should be number ten, there just seems to be buzz around nearly everything Demi does whereas not many people outside of Gaga's fan base really care what she does nowadays.

Tell that to a sell-out WW tour in almost every relevant country thinkable, and 2,3 million WW album sales.

lol some of you people are so oblivious when it comes to star power and success, go get a memo. Demi? Ariana? Really? How many hits have they had? How much has their albums sold? When will they have a sell out tour or win a grammy?

BYE BYE BYE BYE

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Sep 10 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #23
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Ariana may be having single success in the charts but she does not have the qualities of a global star.

QUOTE(•CDC• @ Sep 10 2014, 07:34 PM) *
I'd say Gaga is hovering around the outside, I can't make up my kind whether Demi or Gaga should be number ten, there just seems to be buzz around nearly everything Demi does whereas not many people outside of Gaga's fan base really care what she does nowadays.

I don't really see that buzz around Demi and she doesn't really have many big hits to her name and, while her last album was successful, it wasn't huge. I know I do make jokes about 'ARTPOP' around the site but 'Applause' and 'Do What U Want' did still have people talking about Gaga even if they weren't as huge as they probably should have been for someone of her status. 'G.U.Y.' was the first real moment where there wasn't really any buzz there. I think the next album will truly highlight if she is here to stay or not (I don't think it's fair to factor in 'Cheek to Cheek' whether it is a success or not, same for Pink's new project). I've often believed that once a global star starts suffering flops, then they are mainly done for. However, after there was a large lack of buzz around Nicki Minaj until 'Anaconda', I'm starting to believe that maybe it is possible to rebuild back your success.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 10 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #24
Group icon
User: 13,007
WHY IS NO ONE ANSWERING WHERE SELENA/DEMI HAVE COME FROM? They have next to no album/single/tour/merchandise sales in comparison to the "big" stars or cultural impact (whatever that means) so what else are people measuring them on? mellow.gif

+Quote this post
calxyum
post Sep 10 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #25
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
User: 20,799
Ariana and Demi's fan bases make them huge social media stars.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Sep 10 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #26
Group icon
baddest of them all
QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 10 2014, 08:49 PM) *
WHY IS NO ONE ANSWERING WHERE SELENA/DEMI HAVE COME FROM? They have next to no album/single/tour/merchandise sales in comparison to the "big" stars or cultural impact (whatever that means) so what else are people measuring them on? mellow.gif

They're oblivious. To consider the likes of Ariana, Iggy, Demi, Selena , Ellie etc even near the same level as Gaga is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Buzz? Go google Lady Gaga right now and see how many articles pop up, that is buzz, go to a country where she is currently on tour - that is buzz. The hype around a side project like Cheek to Cheek - that is buzz. Not these flash in the pan acts who have never sustained any success whatsoever. Let's not forget their underwhelming album sales even in comparison to ARTPOP which is deemed so floppy, non existent world tours and grammies ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Sep 10 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #27
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
I fail to see how artists like Ariana, Demi, Selena can be placed above the likes of Madonna, Britney or Gaga.

Either of them could release something RIGHT THIS SECOND, and the entire world would turn to look. They definitely have the most die hard fanbases out of anyone else mentioned in this thread along with Beyonce. Their name alone causes TREMENDOUS hype. Having one or two hit singles is HARDLY enough to put you above the likes of the four mentioned above.

This post has been edited by Tyler~: Sep 10 2014, 07:05 PM

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Sep 10 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #28
Group icon
baddest of them all
QUOTE(•CDC• @ Sep 10 2014, 08:57 PM) *
Ariana and Demi's fan bases make them huge social media stars.

Social media stars?

You mean Twitter stars? You're contradicting yourself. You just said Gaga is irrelevant because no one cares about her outside her fanbase, yet Ariana and Demi's fan bases make them relevant? How does that make sense?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Sep 10 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
A topic like this was always going to cause friction. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
*Tim
post Sep 10 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660
Demi is nowhere near the top 10 tbh. She's been gettnig quite a lot of hate lately

I'd say Ri is the biggest, with Bey, Gagz and Katy hovering just beneath her. Katy is bigger than Gagz, but Bey is bigger than Katy.
I wouldn't class Iggy as one of the top 10's just yet, since she's only just getting started.

Since we're talking about at the moment and not years ago, I'd place Madonna in the top 10 due to being a huge touring force, but not on the same level as Katy, Gagz and Bey
01 Rihanna [Nearly everything she tags her name to is a success, big or small.]

02 Beyoncé [Massive touring force and massive album sales]
03 Katy [One of the greatest singles artists in recent times imo and her album's doing quite well too, but her touring isn't THAT good]
04 Gagz [Massive touring force, but kind off floppy as of lately and gets massive amounts of hate]

05 Madonna [Can still pull in the audiences for her tour, but album and single sales are lacking. Her legacy is amazing tho and still lives]
06 Britney [I don't really know why I put her here, but I think it's mainly because of the still massive amount of fans she has and the amount of hype she can create]
07 Taylor [Huge album sales, which are mainly due to her country roots I think, so I didn't put her top 5]

08 Pink [Masively underrated and overlooked but her successes are so consistent, she must have some sort of impact]
09 Adele [21 was an iconic moment in the music industry, but she's not someone who amasses a massive fanbase does she?]
10 Miley [Wrecking Ball's impact was huge, as were her performances of We Can't Stop]

I wouldn't call Selena (eventho I love ha), Demi or Iggy a top 10 popgirl at all.
Selena has good single sales, but lacks album sales and touring numbers
Demi has decent single sales, better album sales than Selena, but still lacking
Iggy is just getting started and she's had 3 top 5 hits in the US so far, as well as 3 top 10's in the UK and hits in Australia, but outside of that she hasn't hit it big yet

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Sep 10 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
Ooh I'm very pleased that I've managed to create such a successful topic! Anyway here are my opinions on a few of the points raised:

QUOTE(Regina @ Sep 10 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Singles-wise, yes, but MDNA has outsold Britney Jean I think and isn't too far behind Artpop surely? Plus the tour was a massive success.

Yes that's probably true actually! The only reason I ranked Madonna lower at this point in time is that aforementioned album was released longer ago and she isn't in the news as much as Britney or Gaga so therefore I just see her lower in the "pecking order" at this point even though she is probably more successful than I thought.

QUOTE(Tyler~ @ Sep 10 2014, 07:04 PM) *
Right.

I'd include Christina Aguilera before even THINKING about Selena Gomez.

ALSO. Why is Iggy being considered at all, and Nicki Minaj is not?? They both edge on pop, and SURELY Nicki has proven herself a bit more with a third album about to be released and SEVERAL more hits than Iggy?

Yeah I agree that Christina was an oversight, I'd put her in my "level 4" category. I was considering Nicki and she would've been the next person I'd have added onto the list, but 'Anaconda' and 'Bang Bang' aside, I just thought that at this point in time Iggy is a bigger star than Nicki is (although Nicki would be if we were judging whole careers so far!).

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Sep 10 2014, 07:36 PM) *
Iggy is certainly bigger than Ariana, that is without question.

I agree with Callum that I see Ariana as slightly bigger than Iggy just because 'Problem', 'Bang Bang' and 'Break Free' have all done very well whereas Iggy just as 'Fancy' and 'Black Widow'. Also Ariana has two albums, both of which seem to have been more successful than 'The New Classic' so far and Ariana does have the bigger core fanbase in my opinion. But yes they are pretty close!

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 10 2014, 07:49 PM) *

Demi and Selena both have consistent single and album sales, yet not incredible, and are very relevant at this point in time with their social media relevance and core fanbases that some of the "bigger" stars don't quite have in my opinion. Demi seems to be more successful worldwide compared to the US while Selena is the opposite, but when both release new singles then they storm to the top of many iTunes charts worldwide and I can't think of many other pop girls that manage that (aside from the ones I have already ranked of course).

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Sep 10 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
Rihanna and Katy Perry are more 'massive' than Beyonce IMO. Bey did well with that surprise album, but all singles were pretty much flops.. aside Drunk In Love of course, which was not that massive.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Sep 10 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #33
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
Madonna transcends this lot so completely. Her position's a bit like Cher in that her cultural penetration is pretty much universal to the degree that new releases don't even really matter - it's a bonus if they do well, but they aren't being done to pay the bills or stop them from being dropped. It's almost offensive to have her on a level with Ariana Grande, who wouldn't even come close to her on name recognition.

Lady Gaga's difficult to judge in that she has a 'tall' rather than 'wide' support base - not much casual support anymore, but those who count themselves as fans are typically very deeply invested in her, and she has enough of them that she doesn't really have to worry about her absolute collapse in casual support as she'll likely always make a profit and sell millions to that support base with whatever she does. The parallel to that is Katy Perry and Rihanna, who have typically 'wider' support bases - huge casual fanbases who will buy the odd track by them but probably would be less likely to go to a concert or buy every album. Of course, that means that when the hits dry up for either of them (more likely Katy than Rihanna) then they're buggered (just look at someone like, say, Nelly Furtado, who had a huge 'wide' support base during Loose, but very few intense fans who cared enough once she got back).

Beyoncé probably strikes the ultimate balance in that she has an exceptionally wide and tall fanbase - pretty much anything she releases commands casual attention, but at the same time a lot of those casual fans will buy an album or see a concert. She probably has the biggest cultural penetration and relevance (maybe only equalled by Rihanna, or Gaga a few years ago) out of all of them.

Demi, Selena and Ariana have their flash in the pan fanbases, but frankly the first two may as well be this generation's Hilary Duffs and Jessica Simpsons, and it's too early to tell on Ariana. I doubt any of them will still be having hits in ten years akin to Britney and Christina's featuring slots.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 10 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #34
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Demi and Selena might have their fanbases but on the same level as Madonna? Absolutely not.

+Quote this post
calxyum
post Sep 10 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #35
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
User: 20,799
QUOTE(Kath ♡ @ Sep 10 2014, 08:05 PM) *
Social media stars?

You mean Twitter stars? You're contradicting yourself. You just said Gaga is irrelevant because no one cares about her outside her fanbase, yet Ariana and Demi's fan bases make them relevant? How does that make sense?

Let's just say, in my opinion as I stated before, in my life, more people I come across are a fan of / care more about Demi over Gaga.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Sep 10 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #36
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
Well if we weren't sure before... if you want to get Lady Buzzjack's attention, just question the relevancy of her favorite female pop stars.

Someone's heading for a multi-platinum post~

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Sep 10 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
1 Tina Barrett
2 Lisa Scott-Lee
3 Billie Myers
4 Tracy Shaw
5 Keri Ann
6 Stephanie McIntosh
7 Summer Matthews
8 Nadine Coyle
9 Liz Mclarnen
10 Alberta

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Sep 10 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(T Boy @ Sep 10 2014, 08:33 PM) *
7 Summer Matthews

OMG. wub.gif I forgot about her song. Must download straight away!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Sep 10 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #39
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
00: Madonna, Cher
01: Rihanna, Beyoncé
02: Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga
03: Nicki Minaj, Kylie Minogue, P!nk, Miley Cyrus
04: Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea
05: Ke$ha, Rita Ora, Cheryl Cole

+Quote this post
Martyn
post Sep 10 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66
QUOTE(T Boy @ Sep 10 2014, 08:33 PM) *
1 Tina Barrett
2 Lisa Scott-Lee
3 Billie Myers
4 Tracy Shaw
5 Keri Ann
6 Stephanie McIntosh
7 Summer Matthews
8 Nadine Coyle
9 Liz Mclarnen
10 Alberta

I like you

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:35 PM