BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Delta Goodrem - Dear Life, New single out 6 May
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
The Controller
post 20th April 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #21
Group icon
The Controller
User: 445

WHEN Delta Goodrem blindsided fans by announcing a new single Dear Life last week there was one slight problem.

She hadn’t quite finished the song.

Indeed while fans can already pre-order the ballad, Goodrem has only just signed off on the final version of Dear Life, after tweaking a lyric at the 11th hour and getting the production to match exactly how she heard it in her head, pushing the deadline until the last possible minute.

“I can’t let it go until my heart and soul is ready to let it go,” Goodrem admits.

“I’ve learnt something about myself over the past few years,” she says. “I’ve become quite spontaneous. You have to listen to yourself and follow your instincts. Even when I do live shows I can change the setlist before I walk on stage.

“I wasn’t always like that. I used to be the person who’d prepare everything in advance. But sometimes things just feel right at a particular moment. And this song just happened. It was a lightning bolt moment. I had to act fast.”

While Goodrem started writing Dear Life late last year, she was planning to release an upbeat song to follow the radio-seducing Wings, which became her ninth No. 1 last year.

Another collaboration with Sydney’s DNA Songs, Goodrem had pulled an all-nighter to finish the up-tempo song before presenting it to her label Sony.

At 11pm she started playing Dear Life on the piano and within minutes Goodrem and DNA were writing the song and changing their plans.

“We had this emotional moment as the song unfolded in front of us,” Goodrem says.
“It was one of those moments that just happened. We weren’t trying to make it happen. We were working so hard on this other song and then we just channelled this one. We were ready to go with the other song, but this was the right song. That’s the fun thing about music, there’s no one way to do this. Wings was similar. That all came together at the last minute too.”

Goodrem says the new ballad is “a letter to life.”

“Dear Life is meant to be a conversation,” she says. “It’s a positive song. It’s a song with clarity. It’s not remotely ‘woe is me’, it’s more about strength. It’s about questions we ask in general, reflecting on things we’ve gone through.”

One lyric states “I’m a survivor” but Goodrem says it’s not as literal as many might suggest.

“There’s always going to be that beautiful connection I’ve had growing up in front of people but it’s not about me. It never has been. I want people to have my music for their lives. The song has lyrics that are strong and straightforward and powerful and I know through my different moments I’ve gravitated to music for those kind of songs for myself.”

It’s also good timing for a ballad — with Adele, Lukas Graham and a new No. 1 by Gnash showing that commercial radio remember people can enjoy things other than club bangers.

“Ballads are my home,” Goodrem says. “I write the songs on piano. I was going to go with an up-tempo song, but I can do that next. My heart swayed me back to a ballad. This just feels like the right song right now.”

Goodrem spent several months on the road as Grizabella in the latest production of Cats, stunning audiences with her take on the musical’s classic song Memory.

While her name may have sold tickets, backstage Goodrem did her own make-up and had no diva treatment.

“I wanted to live the full experience,” Goodrem says. “It’s actually changed me a lot. I profoundly loved getting to sing and perform every single day, getting to be in a cast, to be part of a team.”

Indeed, it has prompted Goodrem to return to Australian stages this year, she’s expecting to announce her own tour shortly.

“I can’t wait to sing Memory at the next tour,” she says. “A tour is 100 per cent on the horizon.”

There’s also offers to do more musicals: she notes “It’s something I really want to explore when I find the right one to step into again.”

Fans can also be relieved that Goodrem’s fifth album will “definitely” be released this year, and she will perform Dear Life at this year’s Logies.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music...dcca9eef5501c18
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th April 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #22
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Spent £7 to pre-order a song I've never heard on CD single... the things I do for Delta laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th April 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Radio rip here!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 20th April 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

It's lovely, I like how subtle it is, but it builds in the right places too.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 20th April 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

That's really nice, I like the strings and the tempo, not as slow as I'd envisaged.

Is it seriously 3 minutes long exactly too? I'm wondering if this was written with Eurovision in mind and then she backed out or something? Such a coincidence if not what with the rumours and May release.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th April 2016, 11:16 PM
Post #26
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Beautiful song, sounds fantastic on first listen heart.gif heart.gif

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Apr 21 2016, 12:14 AM) *
Is it seriously 3 minutes long exactly too? I'm wondering if this was written with Eurovision in mind and then she backed out or something? Such a coincidence if not what with the rumours and May release.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw how long the video was!

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th April 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

It's gorgeous. wub.gif Absolutely beautiful

The Logies are May 8th, so that explains the late release. Going for MAX impact in release week, a proper old school release.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 20th April 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Oh yes, that's VERY GOOD and much more what I want from Delta than Wings ever was.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 21st April 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

Its a nice enough song.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 21st April 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #30
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I really like it! In ballad terms it's way better than 'Only Human'.

'Wings' was probably one of my favourite tracks of last year.

+Quote this post
Knightr634
post 21st April 2016, 01:14 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,417

It sounds amazing! This is her Celine moment!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 21st April 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Hello?

It's really beautiful, and the lyrics are incredibly easy to relate to. It's much more 'classic Delta' than Wings. Time will tell how much I love it in the end compared to that, as I would regard that as her best song since Believe Again.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 21st April 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

This is pretty boring, her ballads normally have something more to them, this just drones on and goes nowhere.

QUOTE(Knightr634 @ Apr 21 2016, 02:14 PM) *
It sounds amazing! This is her Celine moment!

Ha. That's a good one.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st April 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #34
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

This is really lovely! Definitely a return to a classic Delta sound. Why could they not have released it tomorrow though drama.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 21st April 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Regarding the Eurovision connections, Dami Im said she only found out she was going to Eurovision a week before her announcement in the beginning of March so it suggests she was always a back-up choice. And considering all the rumours and now this 3-minute song, it does make you wonder if Delta was originally first choice but pulled out as Rich said.

This is a great classic Delta-sounding song, reminds me a little of 'Fight Song' actually. This would've been much more worthy of Australia's current top 5 favourite status in the Eurovision odds as well, Dami's song is just too clinical where this has extra emotion, is nowhere near as repetitive as Sound of Silence and also has a more uplifting quality to it.

Lovely song anyway! heart.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 21st April 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Hmmm....it's pleasant enough but not as good as wings or some of her other singles.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 21st April 2016, 04:39 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Ryan. @ Apr 21 2016, 05:06 PM) *
Regarding the Eurovision connections, Dami Im said she only found out she was going to Eurovision a week before her announcement in the beginning of March so it suggests she was always a back-up choice. And considering all the rumours and now this 3-minute song, it does make you wonder if Delta was originally first choice but pulled out as Rich said.

This is a great classic Delta-sounding song, reminds me a little of 'Fight Song' actually. This would've been much more worthy of Australia's current top 5 favourite status in the Eurovision odds as well, Dami's song is just too clinical where this has extra emotion, is nowhere near as repetitive as Sound of Silence and also has a more uplifting quality to it.

Lovely song anyway! heart.gif

If only she had been their first representative. I seriously think Wings would have given Heroes a run for its money!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 21st April 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Hello?

Btw, in some Aussie newspaper she yesterday denied ever being in the running for Eurovision due to Cats and The Voice but somehow I just can't buy it. How many singles has she ever released in May that are exactly three minutes long? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 24th April 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #39
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Apr 20 2016, 07:44 PM) *
Spent £7 to pre-order a song I've never heard on CD single... the things I do for Delta laugh.gif

I've just done the same. Can't have any gaps in that collection!

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 24th April 2016, 10:36 AM

+Quote this post
Silas
post 24th April 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Apr 21 2016, 04:46 PM) *
This is really lovely! Definitely a return to a classic Delta sound. Why could they not have released it tomorrow though drama.gif

Because the Logies is a ridiculously massive promo opportunity. Releasing the week of the Logies gives it by far it's biggest chance at going to the top

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:46 PM