BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My 1987 Charts, Pet Shop Boys, Jacko, Madonna, Mac, U2 & more this year...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 2nd December 2019, 03:36 PM
Post #261
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I love that it lasted so long, great record.

Are we not onto their new material soon? (I know it flopped in the real charts!)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 2nd December 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #262
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Dec 2 2019, 03:36 PM) *
I love that it lasted so long, great record.

Are we not onto their new material soon? (I know it flopped in the real charts!)

Hi Steve, glad you like it too smile.gif The follow-up came and went quickly in 1986, while the track from the album that should have been the follow-up was delayed until Oct 1988 I think, by which time the moment had passed for a big hit, but it still charted anyway and also a heads-up - it topped my charts too! Love Is All That Matters after all... laugh.gif

The next stuff that was old-stylee Human League was 1990. I may get round to finishing the 1970/75/80/90/95 threads once we get into the new year as I already have 1988 on computer spreadsheets so that should be easy to do a weekly version and the others only have 3 or 4 months left of each and it'll be the 50th/45th/40th/30th/25th anniversaries so I'd like to get them done by year-end!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 2nd December 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #263
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Years on your chart? ohmy.gif I don't think anything has ever stayed on my chart longer than about 30 something weeks.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 2nd December 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #264
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Dec 2 2019, 07:10 PM) *
Hi Steve, glad you like it too smile.gif The follow-up came and went quickly in 1986, while the track from the album that should have been the follow-up was delayed until Oct 1988 I think, by which time the moment had passed for a big hit, but it still charted anyway and also a heads-up - it topped my charts too! Love Is All That Matters after all... laugh.gif

The next stuff that was old-stylee Human League was 1990. I may get round to finishing the 1970/75/80/90/95 threads once we get into the new year as I already have 1988 on computer spreadsheets so that should be easy to do a weekly version and the others only have 3 or 4 months left of each and it'll be the 50th/45th/40th/30th/25th anniversaries so I'd like to get them done by year-end!

Looking forward to the coming episodes of totp 1988 now tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd December 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #265
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(dandy* @ Dec 2 2019, 08:21 PM) *
Years on your chart? ohmy.gif I don't think anything has ever stayed on my chart longer than about 30 something weeks.

Didn't happen in the early years of my charting as they were strictly controlled by what was in the BBC charts or local charts if out the country - once I abandoned that anchor I was free! laugh.gif Free to love songs as long as I wanted to! My chart expanded and was more accurate, and yes, some records I just worshipped over a long period. A bit like all those Xmas songs that chart every year (only I did that first, decades ahead of the game I was recharting John & Yoko, Wizzard, Slade and more laugh.gif) to the point that I can't bear to give them any more chart "sales" after 45 years since first doing it, oops!

It would be wise to expect some festive entries in my all-time top 800 list... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd December 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #266
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(ChristmaSteve201 @ Dec 2 2019, 11:45 PM) *
Looking forward to the coming episodes of totp 1988 now tongue.gif

I'm not sure the Human League got around to promoting the single on TOTP! I bought it on cdsingle though, a sexy new format sometimes with gatefold sleeve rather than the tacky plastic thin things the industry settled on by 1990. I still have no emotional attachment to CDs in plastic cases, it was a terrible choice!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 4th December 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #267
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Pity they didn't promo on totp, must be the first one they didn't on one of their albums.

Cds must have been slow to get on board with!

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 4th December 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #268
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

QUOTE(Bjork @ Dec 2 2019, 08:53 AM) *
I was also pissed at Leave me Alone, I also bought the vinyl on release week, don't think I owned a CD player til years later

I bought the cassette and Leave Me Alone was tagged off the end then got my first hi-fi with CD in 1990 and bought Thriller first with Brothers In Arms, which was the first album to sell 1 million CD copies in the UK alone.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris-tmas: 4th December 2019, 09:59 PM

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 5th December 2019, 09:47 AM
Post #269
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

it's silly now, but I remember when CDs started I thought they were not gonna last, I thought it was a silly format, hated the plastic cases and thought the vinyls were a million times prettier and nicer, so I didn't buy my first CD til 1992 cos I thought they were gonna be a five-minute thing biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th December 2019, 01:17 PM
Post #270
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I'm still hoping streaming will be like that!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 5th December 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #271
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

you see for me streaming was the opposite, I jumped in immediately when almost no one had it yet
but for me it was cos it was convenient, I always hated iTunes and never used it, for me iTunes was the biggest scam,
never understood how people would pay to have lousy mp3s and paid the same amount as a Cd or a vinyl like if it were the same thing
rather stream that buy an mp3, and if I wanna buy, I buy the vinyl version

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 5th December 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #272
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I tried free spotify streaming last week through my blutooth speaker and I dunno it just sounded tinny compared to mp4's. mp4's sound WAY better than my early CD's do now, at least those with loads of tracks crammed onto them, and same now when I'm converting old cd's for my car - the sound isn't as "full" as mp4 downloads. Mp3's sound pretty ropey at times though!

Old vinyl still sounds good apart from the clicks and cracks and hisses.... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th December 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #273
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Bjork @ Dec 5 2019, 03:19 PM) *
you see for me streaming was the opposite, I jumped in immediately when almost no one had it yet
but for me it was cos it was convenient, I always hated iTunes and never used it, for me iTunes was the biggest scam,
never understood how people would pay to have lousy mp3s and paid the same amount as a Cd or a vinyl like if it were the same thing
rather stream that buy an mp3, and if I wanna buy, I buy the vinyl version

That's exactly what I do now, don't know how I had the time to listen to cds back in the day, buy vinyl for classic albums.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th December 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #274
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

5th December 1987

It's straight in on top for yet another 20th anniversary Beatles oldie reissue, my childhood fave Hello Goodbye. Loved it aged 9, loved it aged 29, love it aged 61. It's pure uplifting joy, and featured as a fab video in their generally not-great Magical Mystery Tour TV musical. It had previously topped my chart in a special Beatles-Chart I had to compile in 1976 to stop 20-odd Beatles singles taking over my top 50 charts when they were all reissued in matching sleeves and sold very well. The theme of the week is loads of new entries setting up Christmas, and loads of sudden drastic drops...

Jellybean gets a first top 10, and Expose ditto following my purchase of a remixed version on 12" for the track that had been in my charts since my September USA hols, now peaking at 9. Alison Moyet makes it a 6th solo top 10, or 13th including Yazoo, with the standard, Love Letters. Talking of old standards, the smooth family fave Nat 'King' Cole enters my chart over 20 years since he died with his fab When I Fall In Love at 17, spurred on by Rick Astley's inferior cover (in at 66). Nat's is the definitive version, it just is, no-one has that warm, smooth, cool vocal tone.

The highest new track is Eurythmics 60's-referencing and pure gorgeousness that is Shame. The title sums up its getting lost in the Christmas-ballad overload that was 1987 and failing to make the UK top 40 despite being one of their finest singles. Shame! (ring bell) Shame! (ring bell) Shame! (ring bell)... Anyway in at 11 in a chart that appreciates fabness. The Bee Gees have ESP, presumably they knew it would shoot up into my top 30 having read my mind, while The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl enter at 33 with a perennial christmas classic, one of those you never actually get fed up with hearing each year. Fairytale Of New York would top my my chart - eventually - once it's arguing drunks just oozed nostalgia.

Talking of christmas, Mel & Kim are back. Comedian Mel Smith & the fab Kim Wilde (off to see her again next week doing an acoustic Wilde Winter Songbook tour) that is. I was tempted to go and see her dad Marty in concert tonight, but I'm typing this instead, oops! Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree was already a seasonal regular courtesy of young Brenda Lee, and they'd done a comedy version for charity that didn't get on your nerves when you heard it a few times. Result!

GG is back with part 3 of his debut hit - mostly to promote his annual Christmas/New Year tours which pulled in the punters (including me each year) cos they were such a huge party experience. Contrary to rewritten history, he was actually popular in the 70's and 80's. Dollar return with an Erasure cover, after a couple of years away from my charts, and extending their run to 9 years as a duo, or 12 years if including as a third of a sextet: take your pick. Climie Fisher get a quick follow-up to a great record that flopped, and mysteriously get a hit out of it - cos it wasn't as good! Not bad, but not in the same league. Sneaking in at 76, by virtue of the record not being listed as coming out as a single and therefore not permitted in my chart, instead topping my Playlist 3, but retroactively allowed to feature just because it's brilliant - Taylor Dayne's terrific bop Tell It To My Heart, fitting in with the Expose dance sounds that would influence Pet Shop Boys before long.

1 ( NEW ) HELLO GOODBYE The Beatles
2 ( 1 ) THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL Michael Jackson
3 ( 3 ) LITTLE LIES Fleetwood Mac
4 ( 2 ) YOU WIN AGAIN The Bee Gees
5 ( 6 ) ALWAYS ON MY MIND Pet Shop Boys
6 ( 4 ) CRITICIZE Alexander O’Neal
7 ( 10 ) LETTER FROM AMERICA The Proclaimers
8 ( 12 ) WHO FOUND WHO Jellybean featuring Lisa Fiorillo
9 ( 55 ) LET ME BE THE ONE/ (REMIX) Expose
10 ( 27 ) LOVE LETTERS Alison Moyet

11 ( NEW ) SHAME Eurythmics
12 ( 8 ) BAD Michael Jackson
13 ( 16 ) I’VE BEEN IN LOVE BEFORE Cutting Crew
14 ( 7 ) KID The Pretenders
15 ( 20 ) ONCE UPON A LONG AGO Paul McCartney
16 ( 42 ) DEVIL’S BALL Double
17 ( NEW ) WHEN I FALL IN LOVE Nat ‘King’ Cole
18 ( 24 ) I COULD NEVER TAKE THE PLACE OF YOUR MAN Prince
19 ( 26 ) SATELLITE The Hooters
20 ( 5 ) MONY MONY (US SINGLE VERSION/LIVE VERSION/HUNG LIKE A PONY REMIX) Billy Idol

21 ( 9 ) CHINA IN YOUR HAND T’Pau
22 ( 11 ) PAID IN FULL Eric B & Rakim
23 ( 38 ) THE ONE I LOVE R.E.M.
24 ( 13 ) NOTHING’S GONNA CHANGE Labi Siffre
25 ( 15 ) DINNER WITH GERSHWIN Donna Summer
26 ( 22 ) WHAT HAVE I DONE (TO DESERVE THIS) Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
27 ( 25 ) SUGAR SUGAR (CANDYFLOSS MIX)/(ORIGINAL VERSION) The Archies
28 ( 75 ) ESP The Bee Gees
29 ( 44 ) TO BE REBORN Boy George
30 ( 30 ) I WANNA BE YOUR PROPERTY Blue Mercedes

31 ( 14 ) (I’VE HAD THE) TIME OF MY LIFE Jennifer Warnes & Bill Medley
32 ( 17 ) GOT MY MIND SET ON YOU George Harrison
33 ( NEW ) FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl
34 ( 36 ) I WON’T CRY Glen Goldsmith
35 ( 23 ) RENT Pet Shop Boys
36 ( NEW ) ROCKIN’ AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE Mel (Smith) & Kim (Wilde)
37 ( 37 ) FAMILY MAN Fleetwood Mac
38 ( 28 ) I FOUND SOMEONE Cher
39 ( 39 ) TURN BACK THE CLOCK Johnny Hates Jazz
40 ( 71 ) THE LOOK OF LOVE Madonna

41 ( 21 ) HERE I GO AGAIN Whitesnake
42 ( 53 ) HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH Belinda Carlisle
43 ( 19 ) KING WITHOUT A CROWN ABC
44 ( 49 ) THERE AIN’T NOTHIN’ LIKE SHAGGING The Tams
45 ( 32 ) I SAY NOTHING Voice Of The Beehive
46 ( 33 ) PUMP UP THE VOLUME M/A/R/R/S
47 ( 54 ) WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE THOSE EYES AT ME FOR? Shakin’ Stevens
48 ( 40 ) FAMILY AFFAIR/RUNNIN’ AWAY Sly & The Family Stone
49 ( 18 ) SHO YOU RIGHT Barry White
50 ( NEW ) ROCK AND ROLL PART 3 Gary Glitter

51 ( 45 ) CARS (E REG MODEL)/ ARE ‘FRIENDS’ ELECTRIC Gary Numan & Tubeway Army
52 ( NEW ) HOUSE ARREST Krush
53 ( 29 ) GROOVE Donny Osmond
54 ( 67 ) IDEAL WORLD The Christians
55 ( 51 ) MY BAG Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
56 ( 34 ) LOVE IN THE FIRST DEGREE Bananarama
57 ( 31 ) SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK Maxi Priest
58 ( 73 ) ANGEL EYES Wet Wet Wet
59 ( 59 ) NEED YOU TONIGHT INXS
60 ( 50 ) HOLIDAY The Other Ones

61 ( 58 ) LOVE POWER Dionne Warwick & Jeffrey Osbourne
62 ( 35 ) BUILD The Housemartins
63 ( 46 ) I THINK WE’RE ALONE NOW Tiffany
64 ( 60 ) SO EMOTIONAL Whitney Houston
65 ( 41 ) WHEN THE FINGERS POINT The Christians
66 ( NEW ) WHEN I FALL IN LOVE Rick Astley
67 ( 66 ) ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE The Beatles
68 ( 68 ) HUMAN Human League
69 ( 43 ) FAITH George Michael
70 ( NEW ) CHILDREN SAY Level 42

71 ( 64 ) WHEN SMOKEY SINGS ABC
72 ( 56 ) LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING Climie Fisher
73 ( NEW ) HYSTERIA Def Leppard
74 ( NEW ) O L’AMOUR Dollar
75 ( NEW ) RISE TO THE OCCASION Climie Fisher
76 ( NEW ) TELL IT TO MY HEART Taylor Dayne

5th Dec
PLAYIST OLDIES

1 TELL IT TO MY HEART Taylor Dayne
2 SOLID GOLD EASY ACTION T.Rex
3 DOWNTOWN Petula Clark

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 6th December 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #275
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

some great newies, although I admit I don't know the Beatles song at #1, not even the title rings a bell :oops

I loved Shame, it's actually in my top 5 Eurythmics fav songs and agree it's an amazing song and I guess there was simply too much competition around. Late 1987 was one of the best period ever for ballads.
I also loved Krush-House Arrest, think it must have been the first time I loved a dance song. I still now remember the lyrics (If you're looking for love, don't follow me, We've got this house under arrest)
and agree Taylor Dayne - Tell it to my Heart is such a classic, hope it climbs

also liked the Climie Fisher song, and Hysteria was not half bad... and Rick Astley covering When I Fall in Love was ok-ish but a bit of a let down after his two first great singles.

on the downside, I kinda feel China in Your Hand peaked at 9 :/

This post has been edited by Bjork: 7th December 2019, 04:54 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th December 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #276
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Surprised to see The Beatles as your No.1. Gad forgotten it was re-issued in 1987.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th December 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #277
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Dec 5 2019, 09:47 AM) *
it's silly now, but I remember when CDs started I thought they were not gonna last, I thought it was a silly format, hated the plastic cases and thought the vinyls were a million times prettier and nicer, so I didn't buy my first CD til 1992 cos I thought they were gonna be a five-minute thing biggrin.gif

They were quite a bit dearer than the vinyl or cassette too at first and came out a week or two after those.

I remember WH Smith charging £12.99 but a local independant had all CD's at £9.99 each. Some are dearer than that now!

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris-tmas: 7th December 2019, 10:03 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th December 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #278
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Your N.9 by Expose doesn't ring a bell. Was it a big hit?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th December 2019, 08:30 AM
Post #279
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Bjork @ Dec 6 2019, 08:14 PM) *
some great newies, although I admit I don't know the Beatles song at #1, not even the title rings a bell :oops

I loved Shame, it's actually in my top 5 Eurythmics fav songs and agree it's an amazing song and I guess there was simply too much competition around. Late 1987 was one of the best period ever for ballads.
I also loved Krush-House Arrest, think it must have been the first time I loved a dance song. I still now remember the lyrics (If you're looking for love, don't follow me, We've got this house under arrest)
and agree Taylor Dayne - Tell it to my Heart is such a classic, hope it climbs

also liked the Climie Fisher song, and Hysteria was not half bad... and Rick Astley covering When I Fall in Love was ok-ish but a bit of a let down after his two first great singles.

on the downside, I kinda feel China in Your Hand peaked at 9 :/

I was surprised T'Pau peaked at 9 too - I could have sworn it went top 6 at least! It did pick up some more oldies points when it recharted in the noughties by way of small compensation - and I did go to see Carol Decker in concert t'other year so I'm sure she forgives me laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th December 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #280
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Crazy Chris-tmas @ Dec 7 2019, 10:03 PM) *
Your N.9 by Expose doesn't ring a bell. Was it a big hit?

Sadly not, a flop in the UK, but big in America. They were part of the Florida dance scene that was happening and influencing, but the UK had gone full-on piano-tinkling House to set up the 90's dance movement, the USA was more about setting up the huge r'n'b 90's movement. Pet Shop Boys were listening though, as Domino Dancing would shortly demonstrate.... smile.gif

+Quote this post

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:40 PM