BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack Movie Awards 2017: Nominations Presentation, Finished.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Severin
post 13th February 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(JackJones @ Feb 13 2018, 01:46 AM) *
I predict that U should give us da nominees now. Since I cannot nominate 3 Billboards.

I'd have nominated the films/actors from 3 Billboards, Shape of Water and Darkest Hour and it feels faintly odd to have films from last years Oscars up for awards here. I'm not complaining and I get why, and you have to cut it off somewhere but not having awards buzz films in your awards feels odd
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JackJones
post 13th February 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 15

QUOTE(Severin @ Feb 13 2018, 12:22 PM) *
I'd have nominated the films/actors from 3 Billboards, Shape of Water and Darkest Hour and it feels faintly odd to have films from last years Oscars up for awards here. I'm not complaining and I get why, and you have to cut it off somewhere but not having awards buzz films in your awards feels odd

I nominated 3 Billboards for about everything even thou I knew it would be dqd. And I did nominate Meryl Streep for The Post. And I get what you mean about award buzz films, I forgot to nominate Isabelle Huppert since I didn't remember the movie anymore. Really didn't like Elle overall but she was very good.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 13th February 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #83
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

QUOTE(Severin @ Feb 13 2018, 08:18 PM) *
Not after Assassin's Creed, he doesn't

Well not that was terrible, but he was brilliant in Alien (one of the only noteworthy features of that movie)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th February 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #84
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

- Fences - Viola Davis -
- Get Out - Allison Williams -
- Hidden Figures - Janelle Monae -
- Manchester By The Sea - Michelle Williams -
- The Big Sick - Holly Hunter -
- The Greatest Showman - Keala Settle -
- The Greatest Showman - Zendaya -

Seven nominees here and 5 first time nominees, with no one in this category ever winning before *.* This is a very strong category! Viola Davis gave one of the best performances of 2017 and won an Oscar for her role in Fences, it was Octavia Spencer that got an Oscar nom for Hidden Figures but here its Janelle Monae that gets rewarded which I'm glad about as she was my favourite part of that film, Allison Williams was my favourite part of Get Out and played Rose incredibly and Holly Hunter is probably my favourite here, she gave such an excellent performance & I'm still gutted Oscars snubbed her so at least she made it in here. And then we have three actresses from The Greatest Showman all getting in: Zendaya and Keala score noms for that film whilst Michelle gets in for her Oscar nominated performance in Manchester *.*

Just missing out are Ana De Armas for Blade Runner 2049, Catherine Keener for Get Out, both Tiffany Haddish & Queen Latifah for Girls Trip, Nicole Kidman & Naomie Harris' for their Oscar nominated turns in Lion & Moonlight (I'm gutted both of them missed), Karen Gillan for Jumanji, Julia Roberts' excellent performance in Wonder and nearly 4 nominations for TGS as Michelle Williams & Rebecca Ferguson just missed out. So many amazing performances got 1 nom also, including an underappreciated Tatiana Maslany in Stronger and my personal favourite SA performance of the year by Bria Vinaite in The Florida Project. This year was SO strong for supporting actress performances, I think this is the best of the 4 acting categories this year. <3

Previous nominees history:
Michelle Williams: - 3rd nom
2010 - BSA - Shutter Island (7th)
2011 - BA - Blue Valentine (4th)

Viola Davis: - 2nd nom
2011 - BA - The Help (4th)

Allison Williams/Janelle Monae/Holly Hunter/Keala Settle/Zendaya - 1st nom

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th February 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #85
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #9

Our ninth Best Picture nominee is the phenomenon The Greatest Showman and now is the time to announce it after it scores a double best supporting actress nod *.* I absolutely loved this film and this has received amazing reactions from audiences and is very popular on Buzzjack so I'm not surprised to see it make it in here at all. The cast is fab, the songs are incredible and have rightfully caught on and are becoming smashes and this is just a feel-good amazing movie. <3

We will be doing the same thing as last year with two people submitting write-ups for each of the best picture nominations which will be posted during the final results presentation! You can do as many as you want as long as two people haven't taken them! You can either post if you want to write up a film now or if there's still spaces when the voting thread goes up, you can claim the space then!

The Greatest Showman: Sam and Jonjo

Best Picture Nominees 2017:
1) Thor: Ragnarok
2) La La Land
3) Spider Man: Homecoming
4) The Big Sick
5) Baby Driver
6) Beauty & The Beast
7) Wonder Woman
8) Get Out
9) The Greatest Showman

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 13th February 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #86
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Feb 13 2018, 10:34 PM) *
2) La La Land
4) The Big Sick
5) Baby Driver
6) Beauty & The Beast
7) Wonder Woman
8) Get Out
9) The Greatest Showman

I mean, is that the most accurate representation of the 9 best movies of 2017 or what? tongue.gif

I had trouble nominating a best supporting actress, so I'm happy with the ones everyone else nominated laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th February 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #87
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Greatest Showman absolutely slaying it. I will be happy to do a write up for that too!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th February 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #88
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

- Call Me By Your Name - Armie Hammer -
- Call Me By Your Name - Michael Stuhlbarg -
- Manchester By The Sea - Lucas Hedges -
- The Florida Project - Willem Dafoe -
- The Greatest Showman - Zac Efron -
- Wonder Woman - Chris Pine

Only one previous nominee here and that's Zac for another musical! I'm surprised neither Armie or especially Chris haven't scored noms here before. Once again this is a really strong line-up, both CMBYN guys make it in after both were snubbed at the Oscars despite many predicting both of them to make the line-up for a long time, Oscar nominees Lucas Hedges and Willem Dafoe who are both great (YASSS at The Florida Project FINALLY getting another nom here), Zac Efron continues TGS massive love on the site and Chris Pine is the first actor nominated for a superhero film this year!

Just missing out are Harrison Ford for Blade Runner 2049, Harry Styles for Dunkirk (I would've loved this to happen, he was my fave in the ensemble), Bill Skarsgard & Jaeden Lieberher for It (why didn't these happen sad.gif ), John Legend & J.K. Simmons for La La Land (again why didn't these happen sad.gif ), Dev Patel for his great Oscar nominated turn in Lion, Hugh Grant for his fun BAFTA nom turn in Paddington 2, Michael Keaton for Spider Man (tf this didn't happen...), Woody Harrelson for WOTPOTA & Owen Wilson for his comeback in Wonder. Many performances got 1 nom also, including Oscar Winner Mahershala Ali.

Zac Efron: - 2nd nom
2007 - BSA - Hairspray

Hammer/Stuhlbarg/Hedges/Dafoe/Pine - 1st nom

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 13th February 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #89
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #10

Our tenth Best Picture nominee is Buzzjack's fave Call Me By Your Name and now is the time to announce it after it scores a double best supporting actor nod *.* I still haven't seen it (I'm def gonna watch it over the next couple of weeks though) but this has received critical acclaim, is an official Oscar BP nominee and a massive fave across film fans of 2017.

Two more films are making the BP line-up, what will they be?!

We will be doing the same thing as last year with two people submitting write-ups for each of the best picture nominations which will be posted during the final results presentation! You can do as many as you want as long as two people haven't taken them! You can either post if you want to write up a film now or if there's still spaces when the voting thread goes up, you can claim the space then!

Call Me By Your Name: ? and ?

2) La La Land
4) The Big Sick
5) Baby Driver
6) Beauty & The Beast
7) Wonder Woman
8) Get Out
9) The Greatest Showman
10) Call Me By Your Name

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 14th February 2018, 02:03 AM
Post #90
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

Willem Dafoe is still in movies? ohmy.gif

So many great actors missed out on best supporting sad.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th February 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #91
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

So happy to see Armie and more specifically Michael get Supporting Actor nods here. Both are fantastic performances. I'm really saddened and surprised that Armie isn't up for the Oscar :/

+Quote this post
Regina
post 14th February 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #92
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

I'm not mad over some fo these nominations tbh sleep.gif

This post has been edited by Regina: 14th February 2018, 07:21 PM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 14th February 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #93
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Hoping Viola Davis runs away with the supporting actress category - one of the most emotional performances I've ever seen and I was so chuffed for her when she finally took home the Oscar. Would have preferred Octavia Spencer to have made the nominees instead of Janelle Monae though personally even if neither were in my personal top five.

Yay at the CMBYN nominees in supporting actor too. I'm still shocked neither of those nominations came to fruition at the actual Oscars, both of them did such great work and it just feels so overlooked sad.gif The monologue scene especially is one of the most memorable scenes in the film and half of the success of the film is really down to Hammer (just as much as Chalamet in my opinion. He was the PERFECT Oliver!!)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #94
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST MALE LEAD PERFORMANCE

- Baby Driver - Ansel Elgort -
- Call Me By Your Name - Timothee Chalamet -
- Get Out - Daniel Kaluuya
- La La Land - Ryan Gosling -
- Manchester By The Sea - Casey Affleck -
- Wonder - Jacob Tremblay -

Unlike the supporting categories, lead actor sees 3 previous nominees & a previous winner return! We also have again an Oscar winner, 3 Oscar nominees, a Golden Globe nominee and a performance in a critically well received film. Once again Chalamet is the only one I haven't seen here but he was obviously always getting in, Kaluuya continues to get love for Get Out, Tremblay was fab in Wonder & I'm glad he got recognition here, Affleck was fantastic in Manchester, I'm so glad Elgort finally got a critical breakthrough this year as I've loved him since TFOIS and ofc my fave is Ryan Gosling who was everything in La La Land, and has received the 3rd most amount of nominations ever at these awards (only behind Amy & J-Law ofc) <3

Just missing out is another nom for Gosling in Blade Runner 2049 (this film missed out on so many acting categories just), Hugh Jackman in Logan, Jake Gyllenhaal in Stronger, Kumail Nanjiani in The Big Sick & James Franco in The Disaster Artist -> the latter four performances all at one point looking like they could crack the official Oscars line-up but all fell short. Many other performances received 1 or 2 nominations including POTY nominee James McAvoy, Oscar nominee Andrew Garfield & Hugh Jackman failing to get as much love as his co-stars in The Greatest Showman.

Ryan Gosling: - 5th nom
2007 - BA - Half Nelson
2011 - BA - Drive (WIN)
2011 - BSA - Crazy Stupid Love (WIN)
2016 - BA - The Nice Guys (2nd)

Casey Affleck: - 2nd nom
2007 - BSA - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Jacob Tremblay: - 2nd nom
2015 - BA - Room (2nd)

Elgort/Chalamet/Kaluuya - 1st nom

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #95
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST NEWCOMER

- Daniel Kaluuya -
- Keala Settle -
- Lucas Hedges -
- Tiffany Haddish -
- Timothee Chalamet -
- Zendaya -

Ik this isn't a category that's usually left towards the end but this year it is as FIVE of the six nominees here all scored acting category noms for their breakthrough roles!! The only one that didn't was Tiffany Haddish who had a big breakthrough with her hilarious role in Girls Trip and is becoming bigger & bigger. From the nominees, Keala has had success on Broadway but her breakthrough to mainstream came from The Greatest Showman, Zendaya started to make a name for herself in the film industry with TGS & Spider Man, Timothee has had a couple of small roles previously but also came into mainstream with Call Me By Your Name, same goes for Lucas but with Manchester and again same with Daniel for Get Out. I much prefer this category to last year as I wasn't actually that aware of any of these before 2017 (bar Zendaya but that wasn't for acting).

Just missing out are Dacre Montgomery who had Power Rangers & I think Stranger Things and Tessa Thompson who had Thor: Ragnarok but I'd associate her breakout for me with Creed so I'm kinda glad she didn't get nominated.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #96
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST ACTRESS

- Baby Driver - Lily James -
- Hidden Figures - Taraji P. Henson -
- Ingrid Goes West - Aubrey Plaza -
- Jackie - Natalie Portman -
- La La Land - Emma Stone -
- mother! - Jennifer Lawrence -
- Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot

And this is probably the most competitive category as four first time nominees face off against THREE previous winners!
This is a beyond strong category & probably my favourite of the shortlists this year. Lily James was great in Baby Driver, Taraji was fabulous in Hidden Figures & deserved to get an official Oscar nomination for that, Aubrey is such an inspired & shocking nom (a la Kristen Stewart for Clouds of Sils Maria) for getting in for a really underseen but critically well received film & she was fabulous in Ingrid Goes West, I loved Natalie Portman in Jackie & Gal Gadot was incredible in Wonder Woman <3 My favourite here is Emma Stone who gave the best performance of 2017 and deserved her Oscar so much, hopefully she can pick up her 2nd win here! I also loved Jennifer Lawrence in mother! & it is one of my favourite performances of hers yet, and with this nomination J-Law equals the record amount of nominations of 7 with Amy Adams. Iirc Amy has one more chance to extend that (with Junebug) and after that neither of them will probably get any more archive noms so it'll depend on future film projects for who takes the lead. Only if J-Law scored a nom for Mockingjay part 2 (she was in 6th place) and she'd have broken the record this year.

Just missing out is another Performance of the Year nominee in the form of Emma Watson, Isabelle Huppert in Elle, Jessica Rothe in Happy Death Day, another out-of-nowhere nom for Kristen Stewart in Personal Shopper which would've been her 3rd nomination. Zoe Kazan for The Big Sick, Judi Dench for Victoria & Abdul, Brooklynn Prince for The Florida Project, Garance Marillier for Raw & Daisy Ridley for Star Wars 8 were also cllose.

Jennifer Lawrence: - 7th nom
2010 - BA - Winter's Bone (4th)
2012 - BA - Silver Linings Playbook (3rd)
2012 - BA - The Hunger Games (WIN)
2013 - BA - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (4th)
2013 - BSA - American Hustle (2nd)
2015 - BA - Joy (3rd)

Emma Stone: - 4th nom
2009 - BSA - Zombieland (2nd)
2010 - BA - Easy A (WIN)
2011 - BSA - Crazy Stupid Love (5th)

Natalie Portman: - 2nd nom
2011 - BA - Black Swan (WIN)

James/Henson/Plaza/Gadot - 1st nom

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #97
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #11

Our eleventh Best Picture nominee is Wonder and even though I knew this had its fans on here, I'm still surprised it made it into the BP line-up and I'm so glad it did. A beautiful film with terrific performances all round & a great script, this was a surprise hit critically & commercially <3

Wonder: ? and ?

2) La La Land
4) The Big Sick
5) Baby Driver
6) Beauty & The Beast
7) Wonder Woman
8) Get Out
9) The Greatest Showman
10) Call Me By Your Name
11) Wonder
12)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #98
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #12

Our final Best Picture nominee is official Oscar nominee Manchester By The Sea and once again I'm quite shocked this has made it as this isn't the kind of film I expected Buzzjack to go for. Once again this has terrific performances & a great script and was easily one of the best dramas of 2017.

Having a look at what missed, there's quite a few big shocks.
- I'm stunned Blade Runner 2049 didn't do better all round here, I was expecting that to be a big contender but it really underperformed
- Dunkirk also missed here despite its critical acclaim & British setting
- Elle nearly made it in which would've been a shock nom for Buzzjack
- Girls Trip was nearly the annual comedy that makes it into the BP line-up but it wasn't meant to be
- Guardians 2 shockingly missed (and it wasn't even top 15) which I'm stunned at considering Buzzjack's massive love for superhero films & the first film did incredibly well and nearly won BP iirc (ik it didn't win cos that was the year Gone Girl sweeped the big five). This is way better than SM:H in terms of 2017 superhero films.
- Happy Death Day was nearly the random annual best picture horror nominee but it wasn't meant to be
- Ingrid Goes West continued to nearly shock massively in the big categories & score a BP nom
- I'm surprised Hidden Figures & It didn't do better, both only received 2 BP noms which I'm shocked the massive horror hit didn't get more & HF looked like a serious challenger at the start of votes but then started to get nothing. Logan is another one I'm shocked only received 2 noms considering Buzzjack's love for superheroes & the critical acclaim. Actually Logan was snubbed everywhere, eek ohmy.gif
- Jumanji was a massive crowdpleaser & it shows as it nearly got in here
- Actual best picture nominee Moonlight underperformed and only got 2 noms in this category
- The incredibly divisive mother! nearly made it in but unfortunately just missed
- Paddington 2 was close but this franchise is doing way worse at these awards than I'd expect sad.gif
- Pitch Perfect 3/Split/Star Wars 8 are all films I expected to do better than they did

Manchester By The Sea: ? and ?

2) La La Land
4) The Big Sick
5) Baby Driver
6) Beauty & The Beast
7) Wonder Woman
8) Get Out
9) The Greatest Showman
10) Call Me By Your Name
11) Wonder
12) Manchester By The Sea

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th February 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #99
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Thanks everyone who followed + commented here, results thread coming up later.

The record breakers were:
CMBYN - 19 noms
La La Land - 14 noms (exact same as Oscars!)
The Greatest Showman - 14 noms
Get Out - 12 noms
Wonder Woman - 11 noms (equalling record)

Nominations breakdown:
A Monster Calls – 1 (Underrated
Baby Driver – 9 (Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, POTY, Action, Soundtrack, Character, Couple
Beauty & The Beast – 6 (Picture, POTY, Female Voice, Soundtrack, Look & Style, Visual Effects
Blade Runner 2049 – 3 (Sci-Fi/Thriller, Score, Look & Style
Boss Baby – 1 (Animated
Call Me By Your Name – 19 (Pic, Actor, Sup Actor x2, Director, Newcomer, POTY x2, Drama, Score, Song x2, Soundtrack, Character, Couple, Scene, Script, Adaptation of Source Material, Look & Style, Poster
Despicable Me 3 – 3 (Animated, Male Voice, Female Voice
Dunkirk – 3 (Director, Drama, Score
Fences – 1 (Sup Actress
Get Out – 12 (Pic, Actor, Sup Actress, Director, Newcomer, Ensemble, Horror, Drama, Sci-Fi/Thriller, Script, Poster, Box Office Surprise
Ghost In The Shell – 1 (Box Office Disaster
Gifted – 1 (Underrated
Girls Trip – 2 (Newcomer, Comedy
Guardians 2 – 4 (Ensemble, Male Voice, Sci-Fi/Thriller, Visual Effects
Happy Death Day – 2 (Horror, Underrated
Hidden Figures – 3 (Actress, Sup Actress, Underrated
Ingrid Goes West – 2 (Actress, Underrated
It – 6 (Horror, Character, Scene, Adaptation, Poster, Box Office Surprise
Jackie – 3 (Actress, POTY, Score
Jumanji – 1 (Box Office Surprise
Justice League – 1 (Box Office Failure
Kingsman 2 – 1 (Comedy
La La Land – 14 (Pic, Actor, Actress, Director, Comedy, Score, Song x2, Soundtrack, Couple, Scene, Script, Look & Style, Poster
Life – 1 (Underrated
Loving Vincent – 2 (Animation, Female Voice
Manchester by the Sea – 8 (Pic, Actor, Sup Actor, Sup Actress, Newcomer, Drama, Scene, Script
Monster Trucks – 1 (Box Office Failure
Moonlight – 1 (Drama
mother! – 5 (Actress, POTY, Horror, Poster, Box Office Failure
Paddington 2 – 4 (Male Voice, Female Voice, Character, Hero
Pitch Perfect 3 – 4 (Ensemble, Comedy, Soundtrack, Character
Power Rangers – 1 (Action
Sing – 3 (Animated, Female Voice x2
Spider-Man: Homecoming – 4 (Pic, Action, Hero, Visual Effects
Split – 3 (POTY, Horror, Box Office Surprise
Star Wars 8 – 5 (Sci-Fi/Thriller, Score, Visual Effects, Hero, Box Office Failure
The Big Sick – 5 (Picture, Sup Actress, Comedy, Couple, Script
The Florida Project – 2 (Sup Actor, Look & Style
The Greatest Showman – 14 (Pic, Sup Actor, Sup Actress x2, Newcomer x2, Ensemble, Song x3, Soundtrack, Couple, Look & Style, Box Office Surprise
The LEGO Batman Movie – 3 (Animated, Male Voice x2
The LEGO Ninjago Movie – 1 (Animated
Thor: Ragnarok – 6 (Picture, Action, Sci-Fi/Thriller, Hero, Visual Effects, Adaptation
Wind River – 1 (Underrated
Wonder – 5 (Picture, Actor, Drama, Couple, Adaptation of Source Material
Wonder Woman – 11 (Picture, Actress, Sup Actor, Director, Action, Character, Hero, Couple, Visual Effects, Scene, Adaptation

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:38 PM