BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40s 2017: Week 6, new #1 ~ the way you make me feel, it's real // + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Feb 8 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Following a three-week long steady rise, Ed makes it to the top this week with Castle On the Hill. Shape is yet to chart for me. Dua Lipa’s Be the One falls one place to #2 after three weeks wearing the crown. 2NE1’s Goodbye, After the Afterparty, Monsieur Adi with VERITE and Sage The Gemini enter this week’s top ten for the first time, while Sia and Snakehips drop and Tal and Dreezy reach new peaks from last week’s chart. Just outside the top ten, Fergie’s Life Goes On reaches a new peak for the second week in a row, this time round reaching #11.

New entries this week are mainly near the bottom end of the chart and a fair few older acts give this week’s chart a slightly retro feel. Highest new entry this week goes to Nelly Furtado with new track Cold Hard Truth. After taking a break since 2012, Nelly plans to release her sixth studio album The Ride this March. Missy Elliott’s comeback track I’m Better also debuts this week. The high-concept music video’s already been a viral success, spawning a series of youtube reaction videos. Other new entries this week come from Nao, CocoRosie with Anohni, RazB with Rick Ross, Robin Schulz, Martin Garrix, Marian Hill, Jadudah, Joe Goddard, North Elements, and 00’s dance stars Cascada and Infernal, with their respective recently-released comeback singles Run and Hurricane. Whoda thunk?

Moving right on, here’s the whole list: the top 40 up to the first week of Feb. 2017:

01 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [8-3-2-1]
02 Dua Lipa - Be The One [5-1-1-1-2]
03 Tal - Slow Down the Flow [5-3]
04 Dreezy - Body [38-10-4]
05 Charli XCX - After the Afterparty [16-14-5]
06 2NE1 - Goodbye [15-6]
07 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [14-8-6-7]
08 Sage the Gemini - Now and Later [30-8]
09 Sia - Move Your Body [15-10-7-9]
10 Monsieur Adi ft. Vérité - Bad Habits [29-10]
11 Fergie - Life Goes On [31-27-28-X7-16-11]
12 Hydrogen Sea - Beating Heart [24-9-12-12]
13 Estelle ft. Rick Ross - Break my Heart [12-5-5-4-13]
14 Yall - Hundred Miles [31-22-18-14]
15 Goldfrapp - Anymore [37-15]
16 Nelly Furtado - Cold Hard Truth [N]
17 Chainsmokers - Paris [32-17]
18 Kid Ink - In My Way [38-18]
19 Kronic ft. Nikki Jean - Dark Shapes [31-13-13-9-19]
20 London Grammar - Rooting for You [10-7-11-20]
21 Nao - Get to Know Ya [N]
22 AK + Veela - Parallel Worlds [37-23-22-17-33-35-22]
23 Robert Glasper, Erykah Badu - Afro Blue [29-11-12-13-23]
24 Robin Schulz, David Guetta, Cheat Codes - Shed A Light [N]
25 Saint Clair - Heavy on my Heart [24-19-25]
26 CocoRosie + Anohni - Smoke Em Out [N]
27 Missy Elliot ft. Lamb - I'm Better [N]
28 RazB + Rick Ross - America 2 China [N]
29 Prides - Tinseltown in the Rain [16-12-6-8-29]
30 Marian Hill - Good [N]
31 Infernal - Hurricane [N]
32 North Elements & Wayfarer ft. Denitia - Break [N]
33 Glass Animals - Pork Soda [30-27-23-33]
34 Jadudah - Messed Up [N]
35 Joe Goddard ft. SLO - Music is the Answer [N]
36 Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely [N]
37 Kriss Kross Amsterdam, Conor Maynard - Are You Sure? [38-35-20-37]
38 Cascada - Run [N]
39 The Naked and Famous - Laid Low [21-35-X1-18-34-15-33-39]
40 Sons of Maria - Take it to the Beat [36-40]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 10 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Ed’s Castle On the Hill ascends to the top spot this week, in the process knocking Dua Lipa’s three week topper Be The One down to second place. It’s Ed’s first chart topper since Sing, and second total since I started recording charts – although if I’d been doing it longer, Lego House would’ve made it up there too, I reckon. Three slow-burning tracks in the shape of Tal, Dreezy, and Charli XCX complete this week’s top 5. Each only has a few weeks in the top 40, but first made their way onto my A-list playlist much longer ago.

Other big raises this week come from Monsieur Adi and Vérité, Sage The Gemini and Fergie, who re-peaks on her second run with Life Goes On. Notably, MILF$, her previous single, also peaked on its second run at the chart. As On Hold (The XX) drops out this week, AK and Veela’s Parallel Worlds becomes an unlikely joint-longest-runner, having spent seven weeks fluctuating between mid 20s and mid 30s, with the exception of one week where it peaked at #17. The Naked and Famous’s Laid Low also charts its seventh week this week, although it’s taken two runs – and is one place from dropping out this week.

On to this week’s new entries!

Highest new entry this week goes to Nelly Furtado, with a slightly surprise release in advance of her also slightly surprise new album, coming after a five-year break which itself followed an underwhelmingly-received album. (The concepts of 2012’s The Spirit Indestructible were solid, but I’ve always felt it suffered from poor execution, and possibly unfortunate circumstances – on the title track for example, Nelly sings like she has a bad cold). Where TSI aimed for both the folk and R&B music that Nelly had built her career on, Cold Hard Truth – and what we’ve heard so far from The Ride, releasing in March – are chasing a more alternative crowd. It’s refreshing to see an artist – and especially a woman, and even more so a former pop diva – branch out at late in her career, and try something a bit new – also a move well-executed by Kelis on her last two releases FleshTone and FOOD. The track features an almost punk funk sound that’s almost reminiscent of something Santigold would put out, or even No Doubt, to go more retro – it’s all the rage again anyway. She’s got a cute new pixie cut too.

This goes hard. A much stronger comeback from Missy than the jumping-on-the-Pharrell-bandwagon Where They From from 2015, I’m Better features Lamb, a minimalist beat, and a hgh-class, high-concept music video that lets the rapper do what she does best and reaffirm her iconic status. It’s refreshing not to see a female rapper feeling the need to start beef with or compare herself favourably or unfavourably with Nicki, too – Missy goes out there to do her own thing and excels in that field.I’m really loving this one, the simple, sparse trap beat manages to sound both modern and futuristic, while the video blends modern, postmodern and retro (exercise balls? Moon boots? Really?!) elements seamlessly. Hoping for this one to be a success somewhere in the world, but even if not, it will be recognised as a strong and iconic performance by the rap veteran.

A slightly surprise comeback for Cascada here, an act that’s seen mixed success on both sides of the Atlantic and now, due to nostalgia from older fans, is on the brink of launching a career rejuvenation. Cascada’s hotly-tipped Eurovision entry in 2013 was let down by a subpar performance in the live final which let to it crashing out in the bottom 5. The German dance trio took some time to recover from that and spent a short period chasing pop crossover trends with their follow-up releases. Run brings us right back to classic EDM-dance music, with updated production values on Cascada’s early work but an otherwise similar sound. The nostalgia is strong with this one, and it’s pretty catchy.

An act I never expected to appear again; the Danish duo still best-known for now-13-year-old hit Paris to Berlin, possibly the originator of the since-then often memed <from PLACE A to PLACE B> lyrics in a song as performed by artists as diverse as will.i.am, Pitbull and Fergie in recent years. Infernal’s Hurricane is their first chart hit due to being a legacy act, although back in the day I liked P to B and actually (somewhat shamefully) bought follow-up Self Control as well… The days before I had discovered indie music at all. Originally I came across this on…somebody’s chart, that I’ve since lost my note of who it was, but if it was you, I commented so…. and was inspired to check it out for myself. I'm actually really impressed though, this deserves far more views than it currently has on YouTube.

One now that I guess I must have played more than I remember this week. An add to my Spotify weekly playlist, but not one that’s particulalrly strick me much this week as memorable, and has just notched up plays due to being part of the crowd and not skippable. It’s the first charter for all three acts involved. It’s chilly, artistic, and surprisingly enough, Australian – dipping perhaps in a similar pool to Flume. An end-of-2016 release that I came across a little late.

This is Martin Garrix’s chart debut for me, and the second Dua Lipa track I’ve actually actively liked – although it’s her fourth charter overall. Garrix is a lot younger than I expected from the name, looking on the single cover almost like a young lad out for a walk with his au pair. That aside, this has been growing on me more and more during the week; Dua Lipa’s sounding stronger than ever vocally while the track’s Chainsmokers-esque future bass drop is helping this this already make waves in the US in its first week. Really pleasantly surprised by this one; it could catapult both artists to a new tier in their careers.

Joe Goddard’s third solo charter and second in the last few months. The Hot Chip singer’s worked sporadically as a solo act in the past, whether as his own artist or producing and remixing, but it’s only in 2017 that he’s gearing up to release his own album. I’ve been a Hot Chip fan since ’08 or so, sparked by their third album and tracks One Pure Thought and Ready For the Floor – both minor UK hits. It’s not a chart debut for SLO either, who’s previously appeared with Nothing Hurts Like This in 2015.

One that’s languished within the top 100 a few times last year but never broke into the top 40 until this week. It’s Marian Hill’s second charter this year and tenth or so overall for the duo, wh0’ve recently seen surprise success on the US Billboard top 100 (track Down hit #37 after being used prominently in an Apple ad stateside). I’m well established as a Marian Hill fan having charted pretty much every track from their first EP and working my way through the rest of their work as songs catch me. Their music’s most aptly describes as an electronic, glitch- and sample-led take on lounge music.

The track that lets Rick Ross chart a double-up this week, following his feature on the higher-placed Break My Heart with Estelle. It’s the Rick Ross name power that got me into this one, being one of comparatively few rappers whose careers I continue to follow with interest. It doesn’t seem to have a video yet on YouTube; it’s a Spotify discovery, whether that’s due to a cancelled release or one held back though is uncertain.

The collab’s sounded like a should-be-bona-fide-hit for some time now, but has proved to be a slow burner on my own and also the official charts, making its debut here after several months of release. It’s a bit of a return to more pop dance crossover for Guetta, who’s experimented with sounds further in pure EDM over the last few years, including last year’s Major Lazer-inspired Zara Larsson collab, the Avicii-lite Lovers On The Sun, and the pitched-up Scooter-Skrillex hybrid Bad featuring Vassy. It’s appearance here comes largely due to it’s appearance on other posters’ charts, which has inspired me to give it more of a try.

The unlikely pairing of ‘freak folk’ American sisters CocoRosie and British alternative balladeer Anohni of Antony and the Johnsons come together on this one, a protest song against the current political climate of the US and the world. Both acts have long careers and renown in alternative circles, but less recognition in the mainstream – although that’s not unusual for genre acts. Smoke Em Out’s a little more accessible than much of either’s previous work. It’s Anohni’s third charter ever for me and CocoRosie’s 7th, following charters in 2014, when I first came across them, ‘15 and ‘16.

Another single released from new British alt-soul singer Nao, who’s previously charted in 2016 and ’15. 2016 saw the release of the big-afro’d fashionista’s debut studio album For All We Know, from whence this track comes. I didn’t listen to the album a lot last year, focussing on its infectious single Fool For Love, which just recently made an appearance in my 2016 EOY, and appeared to go down well with the commenters! This was my second pick from the album to go on my A-list playlist and starts off Nao’s 2017 strongly. She's also just released a remix EP.

Closing off the week, probably the lowest-profile new entry, which comes from Jadudah, a discovery from a Swedish Spotify playlist, and perhaps thus one some of our European or BJSC readers will be more familiar with. Jadudah appears to be a band, and active since 2013 or so. Most tracks under 40k plays on Spotify still but some pushing the 100k mark. Female vocals and a style that flits between alt and synth-pop give this track a distinctive sound, but I don’t see it getting the appeal to be any more than a minor non-crossover hit.

And that’s the week! Please comment if you have thoughts! Comments make me smile! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Feb 10 2017, 10:11 PM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Feb 11 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter

Great choice of #1 biggrin.gif By far my favourite out of the two

Nice to see Slow Down the Flow climb as well! #1 next week?

Great to see Hurricane & Run enter as well, both great songs with great drops!

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Feb 12 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Cheers for your thoughts, Pete!

Slow Down the Flow is definitely on the way up! You'll have to wait and see how far it gets wink.gif

Thanks for your thoughts on the others! smile.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Feb 12 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Hi Jupiter,

01 Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill [8-3-2-1] Great song and really is one of my favourite songs of the past year heart.gif
02 Dua Lipa - Be The One [5-1-1-1-2] heart.gif
04 Dreezy - Body [38-10-4]
05 Charli XCX - After the Afterparty [16-14-5] Big climb into the top 5!
07 Snakehips ft. M0 - Don't Leave [14-8-6-7] heart.gif
09 Sia - Move Your Body [15-10-7-9] heart.gif
11 Fergie - Life Goes On [31-27-28-X7-16-11]
17 Chainsmokers - Paris [32-17] Paris is great! I am growing to love it heart.gif
20 London Grammar - Rooting for You [10-7-11-20] heart.gif
21 Nao - Get to Know Ya [N] Good track!
24 Robin Schulz, David Guetta, Cheat Codes - Shed A Light [N] Shed A Light is great although going off it now sad.gif
27 Missy Elliot ft. Lamb - I'm Better [N] This is a good Missy track!
29 Prides - Tinseltown in the Rain [16-12-6-8-29] heart.gif
33 Glass Animals - Pork Soda [30-27-23-33]
36 Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely [N] I am really liking this atm especially the vocals!
37 Kriss Kross Amsterdam, Conor Maynard - Are You Sure? [38-35-20-37] heart.gif
39 The Naked and Famous - Laid Low [21-35-X1-18-34-15-33-39]

Great Chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:26 PM