BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Folk Music recommendations, “Golden oldies”
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Jun 18 2021, 02:03 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hello, perhaps this was the best place to make this thread, and I know it might only attract a minority of viewers, but I’m someone who enjoys listening to folk music that my grandparents once listened to many years ago, and I rediscovered it years later and it has a new appeal to me. The main artist I have rediscovered is an English folk group called The Houghton Weavers, who are still active to this day I believe. They recorded many albums and in 2020 most of these older albums have been made available on streaming platforms.

What other artists have you listened to before that might fit into a category like that of modern groups recording older classic folk songs? I’d love to discover more. smile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
mick745
post Jun 24 2021, 08:17 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 17,441
Lots of bands i like have folk influences, Levellers is one band i ise to listen to quite a lot.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post Jun 24 2021, 08:51 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384
colour green by sibylle baier is probably my favorite folk album that I've listened to. it's got an interesting backstory too; she was an actress in the 70s and she recorded this album around that time, but it didn't see the light of day until 2006 when it got released on an indie label. that just makes me love it more, it's very beautiful and intimate and worn-in, like finding someone's old diary. also can't go wrong with nick drake and judee sill if you're looking for other artists!

This post has been edited by dhwhore: Jun 24 2021, 08:51 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 25 2021, 07:33 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I like a bit of Gordon Lightfoot, Canadian 70's folkie, quite a few other really archive acts too, and sort of punk folkie acts like Dropkick Murphys have a big following. Proclaimers might be called folk, they're fab. Roger Miller in the 60's. There's loads more though smile.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:58 AM