BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Favourite Eastenders Family
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which is your favourite Eastenders family?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
Klaus
post Feb 26 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Families are the solid basis of soaps and Eastenders is one of those soaps that is all about farmlies as farmly sticks together. Which of these well-known famlies, both past and present have been your favourite though?

If I've missed any off, please let me know and I'll add it in!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Feb 26 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Current: Fox-Hubbards
All-time: Mitchells

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Feb 26 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #3
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
All-time: Mitchells

Mitchells would be still high up if they didn't kill of the two members I actually proper stan nono.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 26 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I can't say I like any current family as a whole, rather smaller units within the families - Stacey, Martin and kids (Bex too when she's not being an idiot) being one; Billy, Honey and kids (Jay works so much better with them than the other side of the Mitchells) being another. Those two units are really special and natural.

I think the closest I am to liking a current family in full is the Fox-Hubbards. Patrick and Denise's relationship is great; Denise and Kim's relationship can be good when they actually like each other; I like Vincent now that they've dropped the gangsta stuff but I don't like how he's left to do all the work regarding Pearl - I like Kim but she sees Pearl too much of an accessory and an extension of herself. That can be fun in doses but not when it's all you see.

The Beales are in repair with some good moments here and there but it's going to take a lot more; the Brannings really don't seem like a family anymore (apart from the scenes earlier in the year where they all had a family meal, with Dot there after her loneliness storyline and Max and Abi making up); the Carters are falling apart; the Kazemis could be good but you don't see much of them as a family; and the Phil & Sharon unit of the Mitchells is by far the worst on the show. Phil and Sharon do not work well together as a couple, seriously get Sharon the hell away from him and back in the Vic.

-x-

Favourite family of all-time is tricky. I've watched a large consecutive block of 1985 episodes (from the first episode to the beginning of November, then the episodes got taken down) and the Beales/Fowlers and Watts family were both so strong. The Beales/Fowlers were such a realistic family and I loved that Eastenders would have long scenes of them just being a family with no storylines or plots taking place, just them all talking and bickering and it was so fascinating to watch. The Watts had unhealthy relationships but it was so compelling to watch all the same. Den and Angie really were the stars of the 80s.

The Beales/Fowlers have remained the solid foundations of the show and have pretty much always been shown in a strong light, apart from 2006 in regards to the butchering of Pauline's character and really poisonous relationships between her, Martin and Sonia. Obviously there's 2015 for the Beales too, but at least there was attempt to make the characters sympathetic, even if we didn't feel sympathy for them. The nuWatts in 2003 was very good, spoilt by the dragging of Den's character in 2004, although we did get the very wonderful Chrissie in return, who stole the show in 2005.

The Slaters were great, in the form of the originals, the Stacey era and then with Kat returning; the Brannings in 2006-7 were very good, seemingly channelling the Webster family from Corrie, and it was partly because of the family that Christmas 2007 worked so well; and I really liked Bianca's unit in 2008 with Pat as the grandmother model too.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention the Mitchells! They were a great leading family during the 90s with Sharongate and later when Tiffany was part of the family, plus Peggy as landlady in the 90s was definitely the character's best. They lost their way in the turn of the century, with Phil's character change and Peggy becoming a caricature, and they just fizzled out, what with Steve McFadden taking a break and Barbara Windsor falling ill. They definitely came back with a bang in 2005 (my favourite year of the show) and Grant's return was so exciting (unlike 2016) and had good moments along with the bad until 2010. Nowadays, I really don't care for the family at all.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Feb 26 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Not my favourites,but I think the Millers should be added to that list. (Mickey,Darren etc.)

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 26 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I actually quite liked the Millers even though they're generally quite hated. Probably has more to do with them being in it when I first started watching, mind. I loved the Demi and Leo storyline and the family as a whole were just the sort of people you'd expect to see in that sort of area, similarly to how you'd expect to see the Battersby family on Coronation Street.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Mar 2 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
All-Time: Mitchells

For least favourite EastEnders families:

Current: Brannings
All-Time: Ferrieras

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:57 PM