BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> WORKPOPNICE: Top 40 — MIDWEEK UPDATE, W/E 22/11/2018 [Week 46]
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
diva thin muffin
post 22nd November 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

>> 22 November, 2018 <<

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: 26th November 2018, 09:04 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 22nd November 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

01 | One Bit featuring Noah Cyrus — "My Way" (2 weeks)
02 | Troye Sivan — "My My My!" (1 week)
03 | Arlissa and Jonas Blue — "Hearts Ain't Gonna Lie" (4 weeks)
04 | Liam Payne and Rita Ora — "For You" (2 weeks)
05 | Felix Jaehn featuring Clara Mae — "Better" (1 week)
06 | Sean Paul featuring David Guetta and Becky G — "Mad Love" (2 weeks)
07 | Equinox — "Bones" (1 week)
08 | MNEK — "Tongue" (2 weeks)
09 | Kygo featuring Miguel — "Remind Me To Forget" (1 week)
10 | Eleni Foureira — "Fuego" (3 weeks)
11 | Arrhult — "1999" (1 week)
12 | Jess Glynne — "I'll Be There" (1 week)
13 | Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato — "Solo" (3 weeks)
14 | Liam Payne featuring J. Balvin — "Familiar" (2 weeks)
15 | Hayden James featuring Boy Matthews — "Just Friends" (2 weeks)
16 | Svala — "For The Night" (1 week)
17 | Huginn featuring Þórdís Björk — "Leiðinni Til Þín" (2 week)
18 | The Chainsmokers featuring Emily Warren — "Side Effects" (3 weeks)
19 | Hot Shade featuring Mika Zibanejad — "Nobody" (1 week)
20 | Herra Hnetusmjör featuring Ingi Bauer — "Upp Til Hópa" (2 weeks)
21 | Kim Petras — "Heart To Break" (1 week)
22 | Sigala featuring Ella Eyre, Meghan Trainor and French Montana — "Just Got Paid" (2 weeks)
23 | Years & Years — "All For You" (1 week)
24 | Sigrid — "Sucker Punch" (1 week)
25 | James Arthur — "You Deserve Better (Andrelli Remix)" (1 week)
26 | Gryffin and ZOHARA — "Remember" (1 week)
27 | Kygo featuring Sandro Cavazza — "Happy Now" (2 weeks)
28 | CNCO featuring Meghan Trainor and Sean Paul — "Hey DJ" (1 week)
29 | Huginn — "Veist Af Mér" (1 week)*

Alan Walker featuring Sophia Somajo – "Diamond Heart"
Alesso featuring Conor Maynard – "Remedy"
** Ariana Grande – "Thank U, Next"
Arlissa and Jonas Blue – "Hearts Ain't Gonna Lie"
Bríet and Arro featuring Aron Can – "Feimin(n)"
CNCO featuring Meghan Trainor and Sean Paul – "Hey DJ"
Calvin Harris featuring Sam Smith – "Promises"
** Camelphat and Christoph featuring Jem Cooke – "Breathe"
Carly Rae Jepsen – "Party For One"
Charli XCX featuring Troye Sivan – "1999"
Clean Bandit featuring Marina & The Diamonds and Luis Fonsi – "Baby"
Dua Lipa featuring BLACKPINK – "Kiss and Make Up"
Friðik Dór – "Segir Ekki Neitt"
Gryffin and ZOHARA – "Remember"
Hayden James featuring Boy Matthews – "Just Friends"
Hayden James featuring Running Touch – "Better Together"
Herra Hnetusmjör and Þormóður – "Keyra"
Hot Shade featuring Mika Zibanejad – "Nobody"
Huginn featuring Þórdís Björk – "Leiðinni Til Þín"
** James Arthur – "Empty Space (Luca Schreiner Remix)"
James Arthur – "You Deserve Better (Andrelli Remix)"
Kim Petras – "Heart To Break"
Kygo featuring Sandro Cavazza – "Happy Now"
** Lauren Daigle – "You Say"
LSD – "Mountains"
LSD – "Thunderclouds"
MNEK – "Body"
Mabel featuring Not3s – "Fine Line"
Mikolas Josef – "Me Gusta"
Nick Jonas and Robin Schulz – "Right Now"
Panic! At The Disco – "High Hopes"
Rita Ora – "Let You Love Me"
** Rudimental featuring Tom Walker – "Walk Alone"
Sigala, Ella Eyre and Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana – "Just Got Paid"
Sigrid – "Sucker Punch"
** The Chainsmokers – "Beach House"
The Chainsmokers featuring Emily Warren – "Side Effects"
Vök – "Night and Day"
Years & Years – "All For You"

WorkPopNice: Spotify Playlist

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 22nd November 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello!
Nice to see the debuts for "Thank U, Next", "Empty Space" and "Walk Alone"!
Great chart overall!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 25th November 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

1 Year Ago – 2017

Rita Ora — "Anywhere"
One year ago Rita was finishing up her five-week reign on the top of my chart with this absolute banger. I featured this last week as well on here but really this was easily my favorite song of the year so I'll gladly talk just a little bit more. Rita has nabbed the top spot thrice now: "Body On Me" did so in October 2015, "Anywhere" almost exactly two years later and then finally "For You" in February of this year so it's safe to say she's become even more of a force to be reckoned with recently than in her first few years on the scene. "Anywhere" was an absolute behemoth on my chart spending almost 50 weeks in the Top 40. Oops!

4 Years Ago – 2014

Kavinsky featuring The Weeknd — "Odd Look"
Four years ago The Weeknd managed to crown my chart for the second time as a feature, actually stealing the title from his Ariana Grande collab "Love Me Harder" which had spent three weeks on top prior. Funny enough this is also the last time The Weeknd placed at number one. With him on this track is actually Drive-soundtrack mastermind Kavinsky (author of the hauntingly beautiful "Nightcall" later made immortal by London Grammar) who unfortunately has not even troubled my chart since this pop smash. This song has accumulated around 88 plays to date.

9 Years Ago – 2009

3Oh!3 featuring Katy Perry — "Starstrukk"
If we rewind nine years back we reach a number one that I hardly ever revisit and has aged rather badly for me as despite having been very much into it at the time. This is surprisingly Katy Perry first number one of five and unsurprisingly 3OH!3's only number one on my chart. The song is alright, fun and quirky, and the music video is probably the biggest reason for why this was so big on my chart because it's just a fun and silly plot. The song stayed on my chart for a few weeks and then dropped rather quickly, only managing around 37 plays to date which is a disappointing total for a number one.

14 Years Ago – 2004

ATB – "Ecstasy"
This is quite an amazing rewind number one that actually took the top spot on my all-time list for a time back in 2008. ATB is a german trance producer who had a few chart hits here and there in the late 90s / early 00s such as "9PM (Till I Come)" (No. 4 - September 1999) and "Don't Stop" (No. 2 - April 2000) but this is the only one of his song to hit the top spot and what a song this is! "Ecstasy" manages to live fully up to its name giving me this euphoric feeling that only certain trance songs have managed to make me feel. I can't help but feel like everything is going to be alright when I listen to this so it's no wonder this has racked up a total of 146 plays to date.

19 Years Ago – 1999

Tin Tin Out featuring Emma Bunton – "What I Am"
Surprisingly the first Spice Girl to reach number one on my chart was Baby Spice Emma Bunton exactly 19 years ago. In fact, she's one of only two ex-Spice Girls to take the crown without the help of her sisters. "What I Am" was obviously not a solo effort though, but I will admit I have absolutely zero idea who Tin Tin Out are so I'm not gonna focus on them here since they never troubled me again after this fun bop. 1999 was one of the years that produced the most number ones ever at 33 chart toppers so in the grand total of things "What I Am" is somewhat forgettable but it does bring back lovely memories whenever I hear it, but it has only amassed a total of 36 plays to date.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 25th November 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Nov 22 2018, 09:54 PM) *
Hello!
Nice to see the debuts for "Thank U, Next", "Empty Space" and "Walk Alone"!
Great chart overall!

Thank you very much for the feedback!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 25th November 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

New week, new number one. Icelandic upcoming artist Huginn has not been around for very long and in fact her appeared out of nowhere this summer but already he has two number ones under his belt which is very impressive to say the least. His latest effort is a sleek and cool song titled "Veist af mér" (en. "You Know Of Me") that has these incredibly sexy undertones. Given the absolute huge mass of talent coming out of Iceland this year, this reaching the top spot is no surprise but 2018 has already surpassed all other years by far in terms of number of homegrown chart toppers at four such instances.

Another top 10 entry is christian pop singer Lauren Daigle's hauntingly beautiful ballad "You Say". This was originally slated to enter the Top 5 but fell a bit after the midweek as it's been overplayed slightly on the radio here already. When I heard this for the first time I immediately thought: "wait, Adele has a new single?". Well it turns out no, it's just an impressive soundalike with a song that for me sounds like an improved version of "Someone Like You" (I was never a fan oops) and it really works but honestly expect this to drop like a rock in the coming weeks.

The Chainsmokers have had a REALLY good year quality wise which is terrible because for some reason their 15 minutes of fame seem to be up and they have yet to make the Top 40 in the UK with any of their songs this year bar "Sick Boy" which probably only did so on name recognition alone rather than based on the fact that it's actually a great song. "Beach House" is their latest effort and gives them a fourth top twenty hit in this year and is looking very likely to stay top 20 on friday as it's still growing on me even more. Definitely a solid effort yet again.

Here is another artist that is still making solid songs but I'll admit "Walk Alone" was expected to make Top 10 at first but then fell slightly due to reasons unknown. It's a cool song that utilizes Tom Walker's voice well but for me it fails to live up to "These Days"' shadow. Looking at Rudimental's chart history actually shows me a shocking fact that they have never managed to top my chart before despite coming dangerously close twice with "Feel The Love" (No. 2 - June 2012) and "Free" (No. 2 - November 2013) but in both instances they reached their peaks at the same time as HUGE number ones so.. close but no cigar.

Ms Grande has had a marvelous year on a worldwide scale but for me this era is falling a bit flat when compared to the "Dangerous Woman" era which was a 12/10 era for me spawning a number one smash, three Top 10 hits and five top 20 hits. So far none of her 2018 efforts have managed to make the Top 10 but surprisingly "Thank U, Next" seems VERY likely to do so next friday. Why? The power of memes of course. "Thank U, Next" has been a meme powerhouse and I personally have used it to fend off sexual predators on Grindr which has only added to my love for the track.

Despite only discovering this on tuesday last week "Breathe" manages to crack the Top 40 with only three days tracking, so expect this to rise significantly on Friday as this is absolutely GORGEOUS. After the amazing "Panic Room" (No. 5 - July 2018) smashed last summer, the boys of CamelPhat released another banger with the help of Cristoph and Jem Cooke, both of whom have never troubled my chart before (although Jem's name sounds very familiar). This will definitely be a contender for the top spot in the coming weeks.

Final new entry of the week is a James Arthur track, and as with most of his entries on my chart it's only thanks to a remix that he charts. I personally am not a fan of Arthur's sound but a couple of producers have managed to change these songs into something so much more up my street. In the past producers SJUR and Andrelli have helped James get to that next level, but this time it's Luca Schreiner who gives the push needed for a second time after transforming "Say You Won't Let Go" (No. 6 - September 2016) two years ago.

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: 26th November 2018, 03:13 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 26th November 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

HUGINN
2 number ones.

LAUREN DAIGLE
1 top ten hit.

THE CHAINSMOKERS
1 number one. 6 top ten hits. 14 top forty hits.

RUDIMENTAL
6 top ten hits. 13 top ten hits.

TOM WALKER
2 top forty hits.

ARIANA GRANDE
2 number ones. 7 top ten hits. 25 top forty hits.

CAMELPHAT
1 top ten hit. 3 top forty hits.

CRISTOPH
1 top forty hit.

JEM COOKE
1 top forty hit.

JAMES ARTHUR
1 number one. 3 top ten hits. 7 top forty hits.

LUCA SCHREINER
1 top ten hit. 2 top forty hits.

This post has been edited by cantthinkofaname: 26th November 2018, 03:18 PM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 26th November 2018, 08:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

There was a BIG clearout in the Top 40 this week so a couple of songs are leaving - all of which were tough cuts to be honest but lets go over these bangers before we say goodbye to them.

xx 28 04 [23] Olly Murs featuring Snoop Dogg – "Moves"
Winner of highest drop out of the Top 40 this week unfortunately goes to Olly Murs who has sadly only spent 4 weeks on the chart so far. This song failed to really take off for me even though I do find it fun. Olly has honestly always been very hit and miss for me, but two of his previous lead singles have taken the crown ("You Don't Know Love" and "Heart Skips A Beat") so this performance is rather disappointing when compared to those.

xx 29 04 [10] Major Lazer featuring Tove Lo – "Blow That Smoke"
Another artist that should definitely have done better based on previous chart performance is Tove Lo who I consider one of my all-time favorite artists after seeing her live at Coachella 2017. To say that "Blow That Smoke" was a disappointment is an understatement since when I saw those two names linked together I was expecting big things. Now don't get me wrong, as you can see by the peak it did have some initial hype but it died down rather quick as the song is just not as much of a banger as I was hoping for from people who have both had multiple number ones on my chart.

xx 33 10 [15] Loud Luxury featuring Anders – "Love No More"
The previous Loud Luxury single, "Body" (No. 22 - August 2018), was a moderate hit on my chart but honestly nowhere as big as it was on most Buzzjack charts as it took me a while to get into it. The follow-up however managed to outpeak its' precursor and become more of a favorite to me in the long-run so I'm probably in a minority of people who prefer this. "Love No More" had a chart run that was a nice one spanning two and a half months which is quite a nice number.

xx 35 11 [03] Camila Cabello featuring Swae Lee – "Real Friends"
Ahh, when I was in New York in August I remember discovering this and falling in love with it quicker than most of her previous stuff. The melody is quite cool and the song really hooks you in immediately. Camila is no stranger to my chart, having had numerous top ten hits both with her former girl band and as a solo singer, so when this came out I knew it could either be quality a la "Havana" (No. 3 - September 2017) or a disaster like "Sangria Wine" (DNC). Thankfully it was the former.

xx 38 12 [04] Example featuring Hayla – "Show Me How To Love"
It's actually been a while since Example graced my charts (5 years to be exact) and I gotta say he was more than a welcome addition with this banger which I just stumbled upon by accident. For someone who did some serious damage to my Top 40 during the years 2009 through 2013 it was strange how suddenly he disappeared. Example has previously been very familiar with the Top 5 so it was nice to see him settle right back in there in 2018.

xx 39 25 [01] Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato – "Solo"
After just four years on the scene Clean Bandit have already made a big name for themselves as they have reached the top spot no less than FIVE times in the history of my chart. These number ones are "Rather Be" (February 2014), "Come Over" (September 2014), "Rockabye" (November 2016), "Symphony" (March 2017) and finally "Solo" (May 2018). This last one still feels just as fresh as the day I heard it first so it's honestly really hard to let go of it here but who knows whether it'll return to the Top 40 sometime as it's already spent some 25 weeks there.

xx 40 20 [05] Kygo and Imagine Dragons – "Born To Be Yours"
Kygo is another staple to my Top 40, already tying for fifth most number ones of all time on my chart (with 8 songs) which is absolutely bonkers given that just like Clean Bandit he's only been around in my listening circle for four years. This time he got the fellas from Imagine Dragons along and they made what might just be my favorite ID track yet as I have never maybe been that big of a fan of theirs. "Born To Be Yours" spent much longer than I originally anticipated and it actually peaked almost halfway through its' chart life which is very unusual for me.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 26th November 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

26 November, 2018

Icelandic singer Huginn seems set to keep the top spot all to himself with some competition inching close from CamelPhat & Cristoph, Ariana and Alan Walker who are all likely reaching new peaks on Friday. New entries in the Top 20 include Rita Ora's album track "Only Want You", which is likely to continue her impressive run of Top 10 singles from this era, and Mike Posner's return to music after having not been seen on my chart since 2016. Other new entries further down the list are Halsey's "Without Me" (No. 34), Robin Schulz's "Speechless" (No. 37) and South Korean/American supergroup K/DA which includes chart alums Jaira Burns and Madison Beer. While Herra Hnetusmjör and James Arthur are set to rise on Friday, some big drops are expected from Clean Bandit & Marina, Rudimental & Tom Walker and especially Lauren Daigle who might fall out of the Top 10 to outside the Top 20.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 26th November 2018, 10:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey Jafet hi.gif

Wowww I'm in awe at the amount of effort that you've put into your chart! wub.gif 'thank u, next' and 'Breathe' are both excellent new entries <3 Ariana is building up hype for the music video just perfectly, can't wait. 'What I Am' is my favourite retro chart pick of yours, that was quite a cool way for Emma to break out as a solo star.

Great stuff happy.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 27th November 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 26 2018, 10:12 PM) *
Hey Jafet hi.gif

Wowww I'm in awe at the amount of effort that you've put into your chart! wub.gif 'thank u, next' and 'Breathe' are both excellent new entries <3 Ariana is building up hype for the music video just perfectly, can't wait. 'What I Am' is my favourite retro chart pick of yours, that was quite a cool way for Emma to break out as a solo star.

Great stuff happy.gif

Thank you very much for the compliments and feedback Jade! wub.gif wub.gif I'm enjoying compiling this chart more than I was expecting to and I tend to go way overboard with graphics and stuff laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:12 PM