BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ex Machina
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 26th January 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

This was better than the trailer suggested imo. A really interesting, gripping psychological thriller. I liked the way it touched on sexuality and I also thought it had a very good ending, they're often hard to get right for me and leave something to be desired, especially a movie like this laugh.gif. Odd bit of dark humour thrown in too, I recall being amused a few times.

I thought it went downhill a little from when the character Caleb started cutting himself (a scene I couldn't watch) but it's not like everything before that was a realistic portrayal of the world anyway.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 26th January 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Looking forward to seeing this myself and the reviews have been nothing short of brilliant for it! Oscar Isaac is apparently amazing in this and I'm a fan, so I'm eager to see his performance!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 26th January 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
User: 13,007
Also looking forward to this! The trailor alone has me gasping for more. Hopefully going to see it on Wednesday, now i finally have a regular cinema buddy to accompany me biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
post 27th January 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Saw this the other day..

I was highly anticipating it quite a lot and it did disappoint me slightly. The first 2 acts were slightly dry. The third act, however, made up for it. I feel as though it ended very well.

The dancing scene was clearly the highlight.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 28th January 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
User: 13,007
^ i wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe or eyeroll at the dancing scene laugh.gif i think i ended up doing all three.

I too was slightly disappointed though. The trailer led me to believe that it was going to be a hugely important & powerful film, but it fell quite short of that. A lot of ideas and a fair bit was executed well but a lot of it didn't wash over with me. Probably would watch it again if the opportunity came, but one of those where the trailer is far superior to the actual film.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 31st January 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
I actually really enjoyed this! I thought it'd be one of those films where I drifted in & out of interest but it kept me hooked all the way through. Great twist at the end too! I like the way the characters were developed.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 31st January 2015, 06:33 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd February 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
ponderous, more like an early 70's low-budget dark sci-fi movie than anything. The premise was unconvincing, and without giving anything away, we have here a genius of programming who's created an artificial intelligence, and is ultra-careful to ensure top secrecy and security to the nth degree.

Yet he's so effing stupid he

a) forgets about the First Law of Robotics (see Isaac Asimov)
b) doesn't use a password on his top secret computers
c) let's a plastic hotel key be his main avenue of security
d) hires a geek who also turns out to be a genius of reprogramming security systems (see password protect)

sorry, plotholes like that just suggests they started with an ending and back-filled to get to it.

lots of female-only nudity, though, so should gather a DVD audience.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 08:34 AM