BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chart Replay: Shapeshifters vs. Rachel Stevens, 15 years on
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Shapeshifters vs. Rachel Stevens
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 60
Guests cannot vote 
sammy01
post Jul 19 2019, 07:38 AM
Post #21
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

Neither, I'll take See it in a boy's eyes instead. Now that is a truly great song and I'm not a Jamelia fan (who is?).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 19 2019, 07:53 AM
Post #22
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I always forget there was that weird time during the mid 00s when Morrissey was guaranteed a top 5 hit first week out with a new single laugh.gif Oh the pre-download era charts were such a bizarre thing.

My stanning for Rachel aside (I have a pretty much encyclopedic knowledge of her solo career it's terrifying), 'Some Girls' is an undeniably brilliant pop record even to this day, it's catchy, witty, quirky and a marker of why Richard X was one of the names in 00s electropop. That said, the video is awful and not my favourite of hers.

It was definitely a turning point for her as well because it's no secret she needed another hit on the scale of 'LA Ex' after 'Funky Dory' bombed as badly as it did (what 19 and Polydor thought they were doing not waiting until January to release it when it would have been an easy top 10 is beyond me. Releasing in the Christmas rush was stupid of them and immediately put her at risk because of how bitchy tabloids could be about any ex-pop group member flopping with solo stuff at this time. At least they learnt from their mistake with 'Some Girls' and turned it all around).

Having said all that...if Rachel did have to lose out on #1 I'm glad it was to Shapeshifters because 'Lola's Theme' was a brilliant record too and still is now. I really only tapped into its brilliance again a few years ago when Cookie, the vocalist on the track, re-recorded it for Pete Tong's Classical House album. For me it's one of the few dance records from that year that was actually enjoyable because of the music and not because of some trashy video and a lazy 80s house loop *cough*ERICPRYDZ*cough*

Also Jamelia at #4 wub.gif I actually picked up a 7" picture disc of 'See It In A Boy's Eyes' second hand at a record fair recently. Shame it seems to be forgotten now because by rights it should be a modern classic.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jul 19 2019, 07:59 AM
Post #23
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

yes the Jamelia one was great too
If I remember well, thats written by Chris Martin and he even sings in the song but he wasn't credited, which sure would have helped the track if he had been or better if it had been a proper duet

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 19 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #24
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Jul 18 2019, 10:26 PM) *
Both songs are really good but I've plumped for 'Lola's Theme' as that is one of the absolute best noughties dance songs for me, a summer playlist essential wub.gif

The quality of 'Some Girls' needs to be sorted out on YouTube laugh.gif I had no idea that Girls Aloud were intended as the performers ohmy.gif that could've been quite a moment. I did know about the Geri Halliwell thing though, I did a double-take when reading that on Wikipedia back in the day! Iconic.

I was about to say Rachel got a VEVO last year, with all her videos on, although it's curiously geoblocked in countries outside the UK.

And yes the Geri wanting 'Some Girls' story is true. She locked herself in her car outside Richard's studio writing him a love poem pleading to have it. He and Hannah Robinson who wrote 'Some Girls' then subsequently wrote a song about that whole episode for Norwegian singer Annie called 'Me Plus One' (listen to the lyrics carefully enough and it becomes apparent who it's about laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jul 19 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #25
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I really enjoy both but Lola’s Theme definitely has the edge.

I always thought it was obvious that Shapeshifters were going to go to no.1. It was really jarring when Now 58 chose Rachel as the opening track over them.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jul 19 2019, 10:13 AM
Post #26
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

Lola's Theme is one of my all-time favourite songs and I remember being obsessed with it for weeks before release and even remember buying it from Asda on release day, how on earth was that 15 years ago? drama.gif

I don't recall it being a foregone conclusion it would be No.1 though, I definitely remember being a little worried it would stall at No.2 behind Rachel.

Some Girls is a strong song for sure too though and was a great recovery for Rachel. She was looking to be a one-hit wonder after the failure of Funky Dory but this track gave her career a few more years' life.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jul 19 2019, 10:15 AM
Post #27
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

Interesting to see the other artists who could’ve gotten Some Girls.

It could’ve revived Geris solo career or given Girls Aloud a big boost.

I went for Some Girls though.

But this was the hardest replay poll a great top 2!

+Quote Post
tommie
post Jul 19 2019, 10:32 AM
Post #28
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jul 19 2019, 07:53 AM) *
I always forget there was that weird time during the mid 00s when Morrissey was guaranteed a top 5 hit first week out with a new single laugh.gif Oh the pre-download era charts were such a bizarre thing.

True, this was basically in the dying days of the physical single where numbers just kept getting lower and lower each week.

Now we're in the dying days of the digital download format... pirate.gif

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jul 19 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #29
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

So Good is not on Spotify? can only find a weird 10 minute remix

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 19 2019, 11:57 AM
Post #30
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Both VERY good songs. I have fond memories of this period as my first conscious memories of listening to the Chart Show was this very week!

Have to give it to Lola's Theme but Some Girls is a brilliant pop track as well.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jul 19 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jul 19 2019, 11:40 AM) *
So Good is not on Spotify? can only find a weird 10 minute remix

I believe the album Come & Get It is only available in the UK so might that be why you can't find it?

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jul 19 2019, 12:48 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

^yeps, thanks

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 19 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #33
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Lola's Theme is excellent but Some Girls will always have my heart, what a triumph of a pop song!!

See It in a Boy's Eyes in the top 10 too wub.gif

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jul 19 2019, 12:53 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Lolas theme is such a memorable hit.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 19 2019, 04:05 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

5 new entries in the top 6. Would NEVER happen now laugh.gif so many memorable ones in that top 40 too:

Tipsy was MASSIVE in my school at the time, 1 to the 2 to the 3 to the 4 every day lol
Discoland is amazing, seems very out of place as late as 2004 tho!

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Jul 19 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dobbo @ Jul 19 2019, 05:05 PM) *
5 new entries in the top 6. Would NEVER happen now laugh.gif so many memorable ones in that top 40 too:

Tipsy was MASSIVE in my school at the time, 1 to the 2 to the 3 to the 4 every day lol
Discoland is amazing, seems very out of place as late as 2004 tho!

Do you prefer the chart nowadays or how it was back then?

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 19 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Tough to say really. I think I'd have to say back then just because of there was much more variety in the charts (particularly in the dance genre), they were quicker paced & the songs in general I largely preferred (of course songs from 15 years ago have the nostalgia factor to add in).

On the flip side, the #1s were just as predictable as they are now, arguably even more so due to heldback releases [2000 & 2014 being the worst culprits] and for every awful song that would quickly vanish from the chart, a song you loved would be a #1 then tank out of the top 40 after 6 or 7 weeks, that certainly doesn't happen anymore!

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Jul 20 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #38
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

I've always disliked "Lola's Theme", so quite easily Rachel here.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:11 PM