BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
47 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> 2021 Formula One Season, Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dobbo
post 5th February 2021, 09:37 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

As if Red Bull would ever let Max go! At least until he's won titles for them like Vettel before he jumped to Ferrari.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post 5th February 2021, 12:33 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Feb 5 2021, 09:37 AM) *
As if Red Bull would ever let Max go! At least until he's won titles for them like Vettel before he jumped to Ferrari.

There are several factors in play here. Honda are leaving F1 and RBR are yet to secure an engine freeze and may not have the option of using rebadged Honda units. If they can not get a deal for an engine then Renault would be obliged to offer them an engine deal. Thay have stated they would although it may not be up to the spec that Alpine would have. RBR have already intimidated that with a competitive engine they could leave F1 altogether allowing Max to sign for Mercedes.
Max also has a competitive engine clause in his contract so if he deems that whatever engine RBR end up with is lacking in power in could end in court.

Toto is a known admirer of Max and Max is considered by many the best on the grid, not to mention the next multiple champ in waiting and most marketable driver behind Lewis. Max wants to win and if he can get a seat in the fastest, most balanced and grippiest car he would take it. He has said numerous times that the latest RB car is difficult at low speed and has a loose rear end and he wants a more stable car.

Lewis is clearly unnerved by the idea of a teammate who can challenge him consistently- history has already shown that with Rosberg and the clause wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t a plausible option.

This post has been edited by Severin: 5th February 2021, 12:39 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th February 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Interesting points you raise there. Yeah agreed there's absolutely no doubt on Mercedes' part if/when Lewis retires they'll want Max immediately but who knows? By 2022/23 the order may be completely upset and Mercedes return to the midfield like in the 2010-12 days.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th February 2021, 03:40 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Firmly believe that if you are going to be the best, you have to beat the best. Being scared of having someone of an elite standard in the same machinery as you is not of that mindset. It’s the mindset of a sore loser with a weak mindset, something we have defo seen from him before. He’s scared of being outclassed and thus everyone correctly attributing his successes solely to the ridiculously dominant car. (Which everyone should be doing already but people are dumb so 🤷🏼‍♂️ - even Bottas has won in that damn car ffs if that isn’t a ringing statement of “This car is so dominant literally anyone could win in it” I don’t know what is. Or maybe it’s that Russell nearly won in a car with an ill fitting seat in boots that were too small because the car was too small for him and having never really driven it before.)

+Quote this post
Silas
post 8th February 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #45
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Urgh contract signed.

That’s 2021 a complete write off then. Why even bother holding any races, just crown him now and save us the boredom

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th February 2021, 12:19 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I just want Red Bull to actually come out the gates firing this season rather than being a second off the pace then eventually clawing back the deficit by the final race and thus giving everyone false hope for the following season that they can actually challenge. Rinse & repeat.

And I still maintain that even though last season there was no title fight it was still one of the most entertaining I can remember on a race-by-race basis. I hope all the driver changes this year keeps the intra-team battles exciting too.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 10th February 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Mansonette

Portugal confirmed as 3rd race of the season

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 10th February 2021, 11:42 PM
Post #48
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Race Format is becoming a hot topic again...

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/09/f1-want...rounds-in-2021/

+Quote this post
Severin
post 11th February 2021, 12:44 AM
Post #49
Group icon
Mansonette

Since they're persisting with this, my own preference for a sprint race would be that Friday is standard qualifying and sets the grid for Sunday's race. There should be a max of 20 races per season. Saturday's sprint race would see each driver start in a different position in every race, eventually by the season's end they would have all have started from every spot on the grid. However, the race is only 21 laps long and at the end of each lap the driver in last place is eliminated. No DRS. Races are non World Championship and collect no points but do offer prize money and a trophy. No sprint championship set up.

It would force drivers to overtake without relying on DRS, provide unpredictable results and potentially exciting support events without trashing 70 years worth of World Championship tradition. I'd even go so far as to suggest each team could field their test driver and a youth programme/F2/guest driver making it an F1 support race and an opportunity to earn additional points for their super license.

Overall though the problems F1 has right now are nothing to do with the qualifying and race format so I'd change nothing in that regard.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 11th February 2021, 09:28 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Severin @ Feb 11 2021, 12:44 AM) *
Since they're persisting with this, my own preference for a sprint race would be that Friday is standard qualifying and sets the grid for Sunday's race. There should be a max of 20 races per season. Saturday's sprint race would see each driver start in a different position in every race, eventually by the season's end they would have all have started from every spot on the grid. However, the race is only 21 laps long and at the end of each lap the driver in last place is eliminated. No DRS. Races are non World Championship and collect no points but do offer prize money and a trophy. No sprint championship set up.

It would force drivers to overtake without relying on DRS, provide unpredictable results and potentially exciting support events without trashing 70 years worth of World Championship tradition. I'd even go so far as to suggest each team could field their test driver and a youth programme/F2/guest driver making it an F1 support race and an opportunity to earn additional points for their super license.

Overall though the problems F1 has right now are nothing to do with the qualifying and race format so I'd change nothing in that regard.

Well there's the problem straight away, that wouldn't happen.

I'm all for switching up the weekend format tbh. Who really needs or cares about 3 practice sessions? I agree sprint races should be trialled during 2021 but I disagree that they should be points-scoring.

Anyway this is all a moot point because there's next to 0% chance it'll get the super-majority of 28 votes to pass the motion.

Agree with your last point. Everyone is banking on 2022's regs to close up the field and make cars easier to follow each other.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 11th February 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Mansonette

DRS is an element that F1 must address for 2022. Banning it will force teams to design cars that can run closely together and stop drivers from simply waiting until the device gives them total advantage. The racing was better and overtakes were more exciting in the years before its introduction even if they were fewer in number. I can’t think of many exciting passes from the last 10 years but loads from pre2011 races.
I’d be in favour of an Indycar style push to pass system where each driver has an allotted amount of extra power available to use whenever they like- attack or defence. It works really well and rewards clever use and late race reserves.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 11th February 2021, 01:07 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Queen of Soon

I would happily see the back of DRS but I’m a bit old school in that I want refueling back and single lap quali. Life can be more interesting when you don’t get the chance for a do over and end up half way down the grid because you fluffed it

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 11th February 2021, 01:55 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Severin @ Feb 11 2021, 12:44 PM) *
DRS is an element that F1 must address for 2022. Banning it will force teams to design cars that can run closely together and stop drivers from simply waiting until the device gives them total advantage. The racing was better and overtakes were more exciting in the years before its introduction even if they were fewer in number. I can’t think of many exciting passes from the last 10 years but loads from pre2011 races.
I’d be in favour of an Indycar style push to pass system where each driver has an allotted amount of extra power available to use whenever they like- attack or defence. It works really well and rewards clever use and late race reserves.

They already tried that with KERS no? Didn't really achieve much.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 11th February 2021, 06:59 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Feb 11 2021, 01:55 PM) *
They already tried that with KERS no? Didn't really achieve much.

At a glance, yes but the 2 systems are different.

KERS was an incredibly heavy piece of kit which offset it's speed advantages and its performed rather poorly as there was a general lack of effort in developing the system from all sides.

P2P has no significant weight issues, acting more like an engine boost that comes with a reliability risk.

Additionally KERS had unlimited use during a race but P2P is restricted to 90 seconds for the whole raceeaning it has to be used strategically.

It's just a better system overall. It's far from perfect and still a band aid over the biggest issues - cars too reliant on the aero package.

The solutions are pretty simple - reduce aerodynamic downforce and improve mechanical grip, reduce the size of the cars and reduce driver aids. Getting the balance right there means we can bin crap like DRS.

I'm bored of watching someone like Leclerc put in a stunning qualifying and race start only to be swallowed up with ease by everyone else once DRS is permitted. So easily in fact there's no point in trying to defend a move.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 11th February 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #55
Group icon

+Quote this post
Silas
post 11th February 2021, 08:03 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Big f*** f*** f*** f*** f***.

Hope Nando is ok and doing well.

(Someone put Nico on standby)

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 11th February 2021, 08:09 PM
Post #57
Group icon

Hope Fernando is all right, get well soon mate.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 12th February 2021, 11:04 AM
Post #58
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Phew. We can stand down Nico

+Quote this post
Bjork