BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are BBC Radio target audiences outdated?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HiyaLuv!
post Mar 28 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 29,031
   No Gallery Pics

As a 35-year-old lifelong music fan, I've been outside of the Radio 1 target audience for five years yet still can't find a radio station whose music policy appeals to me anywhere near as much as Radio 1's. I remember my mother hating what she branded 'bang bang bang music' i.e. house music when in about 1988 when she was in her early thirties, yet you're still infinitely more likely to hear an 18-year-old Eminem or Dr Dre song or even a 26-year-old Prodigy hit on Radio 1 than Radio 2. Have you switched to 6 Music or is it way too "middle-aged indie" for you? Are there many people here over 29 that feel the same as me? Do you feel Radio 2 should be a bit more daring when it comes to vintage hits? When's Bound 4 Da Reload hitting Radio 2? Is the idea of Radio 2 attempting to appeal to everyone aged between 35 and about 90 completely ludicrous, considering the various generation gaps? As a banger-loving licence payer with a huge interest in new music, especially dance anthems that should be charting but stall on the B and C-lists, do you feel insulted and infuriated when Ben Cooper celebrates "scaring off the over-30s"? Have you found a radio home elsewhere since you slipped out of the R1 target audience or do you, like me, defiantly tune in anyway? Can you even bear commercial radio? Let us know your thoughts!

This post has been edited by 34yopoppicker: Mar 28 2018, 11:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 28 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

The whole Radio 1 trying to lose the older listener thing annoys me a lot and I wish they would play older artists there more.

Heart plays a lot of 90s songs, and even rap songs from the 90s now, I've not heard The Prodigy on there though

+Quote Post
HiyaLuv!
post Mar 28 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Where's the commercial radio station that playlists Janelle Monae, George FitzGerald and Muse alongside Rae Morris, The Vaccines, Virtual Self, Wolf Alice, Years & Years, Fickle Friends and CHVRCHES as well as various Top 40 stars? Of course I'm going to pick Radio 1! The idea that I'm told to go away when it still appeals to me so much and there is no alternative just seems like madness to me. I'm 35, not 65! Also, how can they tell the thirtysomethings to do one when so many of their presenters are outside the "target audience"?

This post has been edited by 34yopoppicker: Mar 29 2018, 12:01 AM

+Quote Post
Brer
post Mar 29 2018, 12:07 AM
Post #4
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

There are only a couple of rap songs that are ever played by Heart, bizarrely enough Coolio's 'Gangsta's Paradise' is one of the very few they ever play and it always sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of their playlist (I guess it's because of the Stevie Wonder sample, but seriously, they still cut out completely innocuous rap verses from pop songs and yet they have no problem with that song). Other than that it's only like Will Smith (i.e. the most family friendly and 'non-threatening' 90s rapper) and sometimes some dance songs with raps in them (like 'It's Like That' and 'Rhythm Is A Dancer').

+Quote Post
HiyaLuv!
post Mar 29 2018, 12:10 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Mar 29 2018, 12:07 AM) *
There are only a couple of rap songs that are ever played by Heart, bizarrely enough Coolio's 'Gangsta's Paradise' is one of the very few they ever play and it always sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of their playlist (I guess it's because of the Stevie Wonder sample, but seriously, they still cut out completely innocuous rap verses from pop songs and yet they have no problem with that song). Other than that it's only like Will Smith (i.e. the most family friendly and 'non-threatening' 90s rapper) and sometimes some dance songs with raps in them (like 'It's Like That' and 'Rhythm Is A Dancer').

Yes, whenever I hear an old hip-hop song on Radio 2 it always seems to be a 'novelty' one, as if rap fandom is an embarrassing phase people go through, grow out of quickly and look back at in laughter. How long can they get away with ignoring decades-old gangster rap chart smashes? It's not just hip-hop - I was never a fan of nu-metal, but where's Rollin'? That is a pretty ancient chart-topper now!

This post has been edited by 34yopoppicker: Mar 29 2018, 12:15 AM

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 29 2018, 12:26 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

QUOTE(Bré @ Mar 29 2018, 01:07 AM) *

Recently they have increased the rap though as they used to cut Pitbull out of Give Me Everything and now they include him and they play No Diggity a lot whereas before there was very little rap at all

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 29 2018, 07:08 AM
Post #7
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Well Radio 1 have to try and meet their requirements which is why they're desperate to lower their average listener age. They should really have a wider target audience but that isn't for R1 to decide.

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Mar 29 2018, 07:27 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

Yes it's the BBC Trust that needs to chill out a bit when it comes to Radio 1's target audience. I understand that it should be measured on how well it does with younger audiences, but it shouldn't matter if over 30s listen as well. Calculating how well it is doing at targeting young people by using the average listener age is a stupid way of doing it.

Plus at 35 OP, you're not exactly old. 35 is not what it was 20 years ago. They should just up their target audience to 35, at least. But the way the BBC Trust sees it is that BBC Radio doesn't need (or positively shouldn't) to cater for the 30s because otherwise they're not being fair to the commercial sector, which supposedly serves us well (though as someone above says, what other station plays the real variety of new music that Radio 1 does)

Having said that, at 31, I'm finding myself drawn more and more to Radio 2! I would just like them to reduce to the amount of 60s and 70s music in daytime.

And I was never much into Radio 1 anyway. Always found it a little too cool for skool.

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Mar 29 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Age is just a number! Interesting that you are "obliged" to be out of the radio 1's target audience just because you are 35. I am also 35 and really enjoy the current pop and urban music. It's more of a state of mind really.

I do feel nostalgic to certain things (such as britpop and millennium) but don't necessarily need a radio station by public broadcasting company to cater that. In fact, here in Finland we have a commercial radio station for that and it easily becomes tiresome to hear all the Ace of Bases and Blurs again.

Also, the BBC might think that people in the 30s have lots of other things to do such as family, building home, work etc etc

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Mar 29 2018, 09:51 AM
Post #10
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Having said that, at 31, I'm finding myself drawn more and more to Radio 2! I would just like them to reduce to the amount of 60s and 70s music in daytime.

I am definitely more drawn to radio 2, I haven't liked Radio 1 in a while as the charts have gone downhill imo over the last few years, and also they seem to have stopped playing as many rock and dance songs on their playlist now I think.

I do think radio 2 should still play a decent amount of retro hits from the 60s, 70s and 80s as it does allow a lot of people to rediscover the songs they may not remember, or were released before their birth.

This post has been edited by Queef's Throne: Mar 29 2018, 09:58 AM

+Quote Post
andibob
post Mar 29 2018, 01:05 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 21,298
   No Gallery Pics

I prefer local radio really as BBC stations don’t quite cater for me. I find a lot of the Radio 1 DJs quite irritating to be honest. I can only listen if it’s Greg James, Scott Mills or Alice Levine which is guess is my age. The same with Radio 2... it depends on the host if I tune in. Music wise both play stuff that I like alongside songs that make me turn over - either too bangy and generally devoid of melody (R1) or too fuddy duddy (R2).

This post has been edited by andibob: Mar 29 2018, 01:07 PM

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Mar 29 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #12
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I find both awful.

BBC1 is yah 'too kool for skool', combined with pretty bad chart music at. Radio 2 just plays odd music, very bland, bery MOR, very boring. Their presenters can send you to sleep too.

Capital is SLIGHTLY better, except for it playing big songs over and over.

I've actually stopped listening. 2013 basically put me off for LIFE

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Mar 29 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #13
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Queef of Peace @ Mar 29 2018, 02:34 PM) *
Radio 2 just plays odd music, very bland, bery MOR, very boring. Their presenters can send you to sleep too.

I would agree that most of the new stuff Radio 2 plays is quite bland, but I just listen mostly for the older stuff tbh, as it is preferable to listening to R1 daytime these days.

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 29 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #14
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Radio 2 do play some awful music half the time, even a lot of the 'classic oldies' aren't that great.

That's why my fave R2 presenter is Jeremy Vine, he plays like 2-3 songs in half an hour.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Mar 29 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

It really doesn't matter how old you are. If you like the music and want to listen to Radio 1 then f***ing listen to Radio 1 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Mar 29 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Mar 29 2018, 10:47 PM) *
It really doesn't matter how old you are. If you like the music and want to listen to Radio 1 then f***ing listen to Radio 1 laugh.gif

THIS.

+Quote Post
SparkyTKO
post Mar 31 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #17
New Entry
Member No.: 29,536
   No Gallery Pics

Still follow the charts and the things that are generally play listed on Radio 1, but 6 Music caters to my tastes, as well as expanding my horizons. Other than the weekday afternoons I wouldn't say it's brimming with "middle aged indie", decent mix of electronica , hip hop, soul, new, recent and somewhat older.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 31 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #18
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah 6Music plays quite a diverse mix of music, sometime there are songs on the playlist that I could do without but you do hear some complete tunes during the daytime. They played Bizarre Inc. “Playing With Knives” the other day!

+Quote Post
Robbie
post Apr 1 2018, 06:44 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 31 2018, 03:00 PM) *
Yeah 6Music plays quite a diverse mix of music, sometime there are songs on the playlist that I could do without but you do hear some complete tunes during the daytime. They played Bizarre Inc. “Playing With Knives” the other day!
It's still an excellent record but it's a sobering thought to think it's now 27 years ago since the track was first released...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:05 AM