BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Joking About Mental Health Is Not A Good Look, Katy Perry
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #1
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

Just when we thought Katy Perry was out of the celebrity feud game for good, the singer may have just inadvertently ignited another war between pop music fandoms.

Speaking with Ryan Seacrest on the 59th annual Grammy Awards red carpet on Sunday, Perry seemingly took a shot at Britney Spears while explaining the reason for her break between albums.

“That’s called taking care of your mental health,” Perry said.

When Seacrest pressed her for further details about how she was doing during her time away, that’s when Perry got herself in trouble.

“Fantastic,” she said. “And I haven’t shaved my head yet.”

Perry was presumably referencing a tumultuous period in Spears’ career around 2007, when she famously shaved her head a day after reportedly leaving a rehab facility. Spears would go on to check back into rehab weeks later after exhibiting erratic behavior.

A year later, the singer was hospitalized and taken to a psychiatric ward, where she was put on an involuntary psychiatric hold. Ever since then, her father, James Spears, and lawyer, Andrew M. Wallet, have acted as her conservators after the court determined she was unfit to handle her own affairs.

Britney fans immediately took to Twitter to remind Perry that joking about mental health is never a good move, launching the #KatyPerryIsOver hashtag.

Somewhere Taylor Swift is smiling.

f*** THIS BITCH

http://new.www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ka...4b03df370d77f89
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #2
Group icon
SOMEONE UPLOAD ALL THE TWEETS I CANNOT.

f*** this bitch though. Not even about Britney, her pathetic lack of empathy is f***ing disgusting.

+Quote this post
Nick Jonas
post Feb 13 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,481
I don't know her.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Brb going to buy 50 copies of Joanne, 100 of every Taylor album.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 13 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I find disregarding or making a mockery of mental health absolutely abhorrent but, in this case, I really don't think Katy's comment had any intentional malice. I mentioned in the Katy AF that my interpretation of her comment was that it was merely a throwaway comment to take the attention away from her discomfort of referring to her own mental health. People do say things like "if Britney can survive 2007, I can make it" which has absolutely no malicious intent - it is misguided but it far from makes them a bad person - and I think that's the same thing with Katy. I understand that mental health is a delicate subject and people, myself included, feel very passionate about protecting and standing up for it as it slowly but surely gets taken seriously as a genuine issue, but people are human and they do mess up and say the wrong things. I think people should maybe take a step back and see that Katy's comment was, yes, misguided, but more of a defence mechanism.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Copying and pasting from what I just posted in the Katy perry forum

Oh please. I don't buy that shit for a second.

I'm going by track records. The fact is, it's well known enough ESPECIALLY IN THAT COMMUNITY and even the USA, TALKING ABOUT HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN AND THEN DISCUSSING SHAVING YOUR HEAD IS A DIG.

Maybe not even Britney.

But, joking about the suffering symptoms of mental disorders is not okay. It's not just Katy's fault, it's societies as well... but it was still rude and the bottom line is she offended a lot of people. Britney fans are not the only ones leading the parade either, it's mental group counselors, huffington post, support forums for people with these disorders. Found out about this bullshit from my little brother who is in an online counseling program for his disorder. THIS IS ALREADY A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION. DONT DOWNPLAY THIS, PLEASE. THANKS.

I'm not heated at any of you, always nothing but love. But I don't play this shit.

This post has been edited by Tyler: Feb 13 2017, 10:39 PM

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Yes, misguided. Still offensive, still rude. And I'm glad it is getting discussed majorly because that's the only way things get better.

My brother suffers from a mental disability. His paranoia of people judging him for how he handles stress is his #1 trigger to a spiral. This topic made him cry, not because of Britney or anything but the way some people are so dismissive of the comment.

I wonder why Britney Spears is so f***ing anxious. The machine that built her to tear her down has not ceased to use her as a punching bag for her mental disorder.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 13 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Tyler @ Feb 13 2017, 10:39 PM) *
Copying and pasting from what I just posted in the Katy perry forum

Oh please. I don't buy that shit for a second.

I'm going by track records. The fact is, it's well known enough ESPECIALLY IN THAT COMMUNITY and even the USA, TALKING ABOUT HAVING A MENTAL BREAKDOWN AND THEN DISCUSSING SHAVING YOUR HEAD IS A DIG.

Maybe not even Britney.

But, joking about the suffering symptoms of mental disorders is not okay. It's not just Katy's fault, it's societies as well... but it was still rude and the bottom line is she offended a lot of people. Britney fans are not the only ones leading the parade either, it's mental group counselors, huffington post, support forums for people with these disorders. Found out about this bullshit from my little brother who is in an online counseling program for his disorder. THIS IS ALREADY A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION. DONT DOWNPLAY THIS, PLEASE. THANKS.

I'm not heated at any of you, always nothing but love. But I don't play this shit.

I suppose in an inadvertent way, this does mean people are talking about mental health. Clearly it would be much more preferable if people weren't made to feel upset, but this does show that feeling comfortable enough to make throwaway, harmless comments about mental health is in fact adding to the problem of mental health not being taken as seriously as it should. If it makes people think twice about the things they say, then some good can come from this. I still stand by that Katy shouldn't be ridiculed in such a way and that people are human and say things that, out of context or outside of a friendship group, will appear misguided and sometimes hurtful, but I can appreciate the heightened emotion around such an issue, especially when the world is already on edge and divided by other things that are happening.

Much love back, too. <3 I don't wanna fight. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Feb 13 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Tyler @ Feb 13 2017, 10:44 PM) *
Yes, misguided. Still offensive, still rude. And I'm glad it is getting discussed majorly because that's the only way things get better.

My brother suffers from a mental disability. His paranoia of people judging him for how he handles stress is his #1 trigger to a spiral. This topic made him cry, not because of Britney or anything but the way some people are so dismissive of the comment.

I wonder why Britney Spears is so f***ing anxious. The machine that built her to tear her down has not ceased to use her as a punching bag for her mental disorder.

Just seen this after posting. Seems like we do fundamentally agree that this is a good chance for people to reassess their way of thinking and remembering to consider what effect things like this can have. Much love to your brother.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Feb 13 2017, 11:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421
She's obsessed actually

+Quote this post
post Feb 13 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
They're both two of my favs so I feel very conflicted about this.

I am thinking like...wtf was Katy thinking? She knows better than that. And I know she loves Britney, she did Ooh La La together, has sighted her as an icon and met her several times. I'm mostly annoyed Katy hasn't acknowledged her stupidity and apologised for a misjudged joke, if she did I'd be able to move on but her silence on the matter is making it worse for me.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Feb 13 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421
Britney shaded her back with the Bible laugh.gif

https://twitter.com/britneyspears/status/831238699111297024

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
QUOTE(Euphorique @ Feb 13 2017, 06:11 PM) *
She's obsessed actually

FACE THE FACTS KATY FANS

YOUR FAVE IS A RUDE f***ING PERSON

MY FAVE LIP SYNCS AND DOESN'T KILL IT LIKE SHE DID 15 YEARS AGO, BUT SHE HAS NEVER SPOKEN A "MISGUIDED" WORD ABOUT ANY ONE. BECAUSE SHE DIDNT NEED TO CAUSE DRAMA TO BE A COOL ASS POPSTAR

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 11:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
LITERALLY LEAVE BRITNEY THE f*** ALONE

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 13 2017, 11:35 PM
Post #15
Group icon
QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 13 2017, 05:57 PM) *
Just seen this after posting. Seems like we do fundamentally agree that this is a good chance for people to reassess their way of thinking and remembering to consider what effect things like this can have. Much love to your brother.

Nothing but love to you Liam. I have someone close to me that suffers from these misguided jokes, and to see it happening to Britney as well has made me understood why I fight so tooth and nail about her progress as a person and as a performer. It hits close to home, so it's a subject I'm very passionate about.

I don't hate Katy Perry, but I do not respect her. And she need to make a public apology.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 14 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #16
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
QUOTE(Tinasha @ Feb 13 2017, 11:12 PM) *
They're both two of my favs so I feel very conflicted about this.

I am thinking like...wtf was Katy thinking? She knows better than that. And I know she loves Britney, she did Ooh La La together, has sighted her as an icon and met her several times. I'm mostly annoyed Katy hasn't acknowledged her stupidity and apologised for a misjudged joke, if she did I'd be able to move on but her silence on the matter is making it worse for me.
Pretty much this. Her silence really is making the whole situation worse. She really needs to apologise, especially because it's such a talked about topic!

I had no idea about previous comments, but in regards to them being about BRITNEY, I don't know how to take them because she's often cited her as an icon and looked up to her and used her as inspiration since making those comments. (Like the Smurfs premiere, hanging out with Madonna & Brit, doing the double denim to the awards show one year etc..)

I think I'm just so confused and conflicted by it all coz she hasn't commented or apologised on the subject and it's definitely making it worse for me, too!

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 14 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Feb 13 2017, 07:11 PM) *
Pretty much this. Her silence really is making the whole situation worse. She really needs to apologise, especially because it's such a talked about topic!

I had no idea about previous comments, but in regards to them being about BRITNEY, I don't know how to take them because she's often cited her as an icon and looked up to her and used her as inspiration since making those comments. (Like the Smurfs premiere, hanging out with Madonna & Brit, doing the double denim to the awards show one year etc..)

I think I'm just so confused and conflicted by it all coz she hasn't commented or apologised on the subject and it's definitely making it worse for me, too!

Their is a difference between respecting someone and using their name (beginning of her career) and doing a cheap tribute to her denim dress, which she wore as a publicity stunt.

All of these pop stars are so contrived, her brand telling her what to say and do is different from her personality.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 14 2017, 12:31 AM
Post #18
Group icon
I guess.

Just ignore me. I think I'm feeling the way I am because I'm disappointed more than anything. It was a very ill advised thing to do and like I said, the longer she keeps quiet on it (and she's currently VERY active on Twitter) the more I get disappointed!

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Feb 14 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm starting to Stan for Taylor swift

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 14 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #20
Group icon
No.

Hate both.

It's far more preferable tbh.

You only need Britney. (I will give you Gaga and Twenty One Pilots too)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:26 PM