BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's Big Brother retrospective!, Best and worst, UK, US and Aus, celeb and non celeb!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post 20th July 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

BB3 - One of the best series. Highlights - The rich house/poor house divide,Sandy pissing in a bin and then climbing over the wall while the housemates were watching England v Nigeria in the World Cup (a reward for winning a task),Alison standing on a table to look over a wall and breaking it,Jade's antics in general.

Best - Jade
Worst - Tim (comprende)

This post has been edited by King Rollo: 20th July 2017, 08:20 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th July 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #22
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

I see Nush at the bakery sometimes in passing.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 20th July 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

I was GUTTED Penny was first to be evicted from BB2. sad.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 20th July 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BB4 - It was indeed a boring series with the only highlights being Lisa's two fingers remark and Jon Tickle's witty and quirky personality.

Best - Jon
Worst - Gos (I can't remember most of the others)

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 20th July 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BB5 - A classic series. Highlights:Michelle and Emma in the secret bedsit and their return to the house,the army task,Victor's diary room chats,Becky coming in pretending she was from the Italian BB house but not convincing anyone,Ahmed smashing plates. I remember Ahmed had four plates but he only smashed three of them,putting the other one down,so you could measure how angry he was.

Best - Nadia (several other candidates)
Worst - Kitten

+Quote this post
Parallel Reality
post 20th July 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,492

OMG, I really need to watch Series 5 all the way through! laugh.gif - I was quite young when it was on and we only had one TV downstairs so never really got a chance to watch most of it. It sounds like a classic though. I remember my dad talking about Kitten ripping the microphones off the walls.

I think BB has made a mistake with the whole UBB and putting in past housemates again, something C5 have done too. It just doesn't work. Poor Brian Belo having to deal with Helen, it was so uncomfortable to watch.

This post has been edited by Parallel Reality: 20th July 2017, 09:01 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 20th July 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Big Brother 6

Much like its predecessor, BB6 was full to the brim with arguments, drama and exciting evictions/twists, as well as the now usual sex and nudity, with an array of people including Tory speechwriter Derek Laud, sassy Nigerian nurse and all round icon Makosi Musambasi, self-procalimed psychic white witch Mary O'Leary and eventual winner Anthony Hutton, a cheeky chappie from Durham. Anthony's enduring storyline was creepy Craig's obession with him; you could turn on livefeed and see Craig stroking his arms, lying his on lap, things you'd probably do to a partner on a night in, except Anthony was straight. He was also involved in the iconic "PoolNight" in which Makosi thought she was pregnant following some fun in the hot tub with Anthony and demanded a pregnancy test the next day (of course she was not pregnant) rotf.gif The series was explsoive almost instantly, with Mary branding everyone wannabes and quickly getting on the wrong side of Saskia by lying about a dog visiting the house iirc, of all things... Even though Mary was out first (which was a shame, I alwas thought she could have lowkey been amazing with a bit longer ,she settled in towards the end), Lesley took over and behaved abysmally towards the admittedly rather annoying Sam, with the public seeing her as a bully and she was quickly dispatched in a whole hosue vote to evict. After that it was Saskia and Maxwell all the way, with their toxic showmance steamrolling anyone who dared to breathe at them. Both were as bad as each other really. Towards the end of the series, a housemate who entered just 2 weeks before the final made her mark on the show forever in one of the show's most endurng moments - for all the wrong reasons. Even if you haven't watched it, you'll probably know about Kinga and her wine bottle in the garden, no wonder BB is seen as lowbrow and trashy I guess rotf.gif This series is one of those where you couldn't pick one big moment, so much went on and eben when central housemates went, the drama carried on! It's one of the most rewatchable seasons imo and therefore the best. We have perhaps got even more iconic Kemal one liners like "at least someone's getting wet tonight", had Orlaith not narrowly survived two evictions and then decided to walk, so we lost Kemal and Science for nothing mellow.gif The latter in particular is still the closest head to head eviction in BB history, with 1% between him and Orlaith.

BEST:

Makosi - of course an icon, it goes without saying. At a time where hate figures on BB really had their reception ramped up, I'm shocked she made it to the final although the twist where the top 2 in a vote to evict (her and Vanessa) of most of the house were put forward for the housemates to save one of them, Makosi being fairly popular in the house was always going to survive that. As well as Poolgate, Makosi is none for being central to twists such a secret mission in week 1, and a secret garden in which new housemates Orlaith and Eugene (Kinga from that twist was given Orlaith's place when she walked). Her interview upon placing third is one of the most memorable in Big Brother history, as over 400 complaints were made over Davina's noticably very frosty reaction to Makosi, who didn't apologise for her actions in the hosue even on being booed! She's probably quite a controversial finalist all in all but in fan circles she is rightfully consistently recognised as one of the best housemates of all time, and the original of the robbed female forum fan favourite trope (later to be joined by the likes of Nikki Grahame, Ashleigh Coyle, Deana Uppal and Gina Rio, as well as Lauren Harries and Tiffany Pollard from CBB). She now presents a current affairs show in Nigeria called Makosi Today, when will your faves x

Kemal - hilarious one liners *.* Kemal was a total bitch but admitted it and was always on hand to put someone down when they needed it. "At least someone's getting wet tongiht" as a dig at Maxwell's sexual prowess after Maxwell threw a glass of water at Kemal is one of the best lines in BB history. Bizarrely, Kemal and Kinga dated after the show for a bit laugh.gif Kemal now lives as a woman called Zulekya.

WORST:

Lesley - horrible aggressive bully. Sam was annoying, extra and always gave tmi (telling Big Brother she's horny) but Lesley was just vile to her, hiding her stuff, making personal comments and even threatening her that she'd be "waiting" on the outside.

Saskia and Maxwell - it's a shame, they started off well and were quite well liked iirc, but they got into what i view as the first awful showmance BB had, they became absorbed in each other and ended up nominated together, they were as bad as each other imo but Saskia was evicted in the bigges head to head landslide of the series with 71%.Maxwell seemed to egt off lightly in comparison but was evicted the week after against Science.

Craig - just so uncomfortable to watch, he was awful at the start whining and cryig about being up for eviction but his obsession with Anthony was just creepy! Like eys Anthony was hot but he wasn't get a restraining order worthy lmao.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 20th July 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Parallel Reality @ Jul 20 2017, 09:59 PM) *
OMG, I really need to watch Series 5 all the way through! laugh.gif - I was quite young when it was on and we only had one TV downstairs so never really got a chance to watch most of it. It sounds like a classic though. I remember my dad talking about Kitten ripping the microphones off the walls.

I think BB has made a mistake with the whole UBB and putting in past housemates again, something C5 have done too. It just doesn't work. Poor Brian Belo having to deal with Helen, it was so uncomfortable to watch.

Omg you so do, it's still the best series for me!

Yeah I agree, UBB is a bit of a flop looking back and it only did harm for fan faves like Makosi and Nadia who came off awfully there. Chantelle and Nikki making top 3 was great as there are two of the defining housemates, but a few of the housemates they got felt a bit like barrel scrapes (Collio and Ulrika, really?). It felt so odd withotu Jade too but of course she passed away a year prior sad.gif Not only that but so many series went unrepresented, I'd hae had civilians only (including Chanelle ofc as she was a civillian in the celeb one) and maybe one to represent each series, perhaps having two from BB5 instead of anyone from BB4 kink.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 21st July 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Makosi, Vanessa, Kemal and Kinga were my faves from BB6 wub.gif

''At least someone's getting wet tonight'' and Cider gate were my fave moments.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 21st July 2017, 11:04 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BB6 - the best series they've done. It was perfectly cast with almost everyone playing a role. Derek and Eugene were both not the sort of characters you would expect to apply to be housemates so it was such a mixed bunch of people. Most of the highlights I can remember have been mentioned already.

Best - Makosi (so many others as well)
Worst - Saskia

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st July 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Big Brother 7

This was the first series I properly watched at the time, rather than on Youtube later on when I was really into BB. Obviously I was younger and mroe immature, but there remains no worse eviction than Nikki's imo and I think if she stayed the whole time the series would be untouchable. But it still almost is! Right from the start there was drama with Shahbaz being absolutely mental, tbh I don't know how he passed the psych test to get in and it was good he walked when he did because god knows what he would have done (along with others, Shahbaz's participation was met with criticism over the way they handle psych tests as he was monitored after saying he intended to commit suicide in the house, but eventually walked). I'd argue that this was the most explosive and drama filled start to a Big Brother series, as within 14 days we had the aforementioned, Dawn's ejection, Bonnie's normal eviction and George walking due to not wanting to be part of the "fame" of BB. Dawn's ejection was a total mess, she apparently had a "code" with her family and she received a message saying her sister is ill, which I assume was code for she wasn't coming across well or something. She was made to wait a night so that they make arrangements for her to go home, and she later went on hunger strike outside the house for 20 days until Big Brother proved that she was held "against her will" (they didn't and she gave up), she is classed as ejected officially although it's kind of both I feel, a mutual thing. I feel that if she had stayed she would have been evicted anyway and we might have saved Bonneh from eviction sad.gif

Despite those two drama magnets ebing gone, it wasn't plain sailing from then either! One of the defining Big Brother bitches Grace Adams-Short (who I think lives near my uni, I've seen her a town a couple of times, and she is notable for actually still being with Mikey 11 years on which is the only BB couple still going afaik) had a reign of terror, back when the crowd chants actually meant something we'd hear the sweet sounds of "Get Grace Out" and that was when you knew she was in the public's bad books laugh.gif She threw water on Susie upon being evicted as it was Susie who nominated her alongside Nikki, who of course gave an even more iconic response in the form of the WHO IS SHE diary segment, the most iconic of Nikki's incomparable diary room segments. Without Nikki, the series did suffer a bit but in that few weeks there was still a largely likeable bunch of contestants. I still feel a bit eh about Pete being the winner, he was nice and all but Aisleyne went on such a journey from being hated by the public to growing as a person, and Glyn was hilarious. I feel maybe if it wasn't for Tourettes he woudn't have won and for such a big bang of a series he's a damp squib of a winner kind of.

BEST:

Nikki - Of course the #1 housemate of all time, arguably the most recognisable alongside Jade Goody and the one that many fans would point to as definitive of their time viewig BB. I don't think I know a single superfan who doesn't count Nikki as among their all time faves, and rightfully so. Right from when she entered in her pink outfit, we knw Nikki was something else. She gave us countless diary room moments of absolute hilarity, that even today are emulated by other contestants, and whilst Jayne from BB17 made us HOWL with "ARE YOU f***ING ON DRUGS", nobody can come close to Nikki. She was extremely divisive at the time because of her tantrums and was evicted when everybody bar late entrant Jayne faced the vote because of Jayne's rule breaking. Her eviction was such a loss and it was no surprise when she was brought back over Grace, Mikey and Lea the week before the final, which caused controversy due to going back on a public vote, something BB have been careful not to do since! The controversy and perceived unfairness of her re-entering after a month out of the game meant she only came 5th, beating only forgettable Jennie. Because of her iconic status, Nikki came 2nd in Ultimate Big Brother and even competed in 2016's series of Big Brother Canada, which does not have a public vote format but is a proper game with strategy (not that Nikki deployed any, which made her iconic all over again as she managed to come 6th off of nothing and was never a target), winning a public vote alongside Big Brother Australia winner Tim Dormer, beating an Italian contest and Jase Wirey from BBUS.

Aisleyne - a huge contender for my 2nd favourite ever although I can never quite decide beyond Nikki being 1st, BB7 did good ohmy.gif As said above, Aisleyne started off quite hated by the public due to her attitude, and I think she would have been evicted a lot earlier than the final had they pulled off the house next door twist where she was a strong enouh personality to get voted next door, where she had to vote out another next door housemate in a memorable twist. That was the making of her as she turned from wannabe "you betta know yourself little gal" ghetto princess to showing a more caring and genuine side, winning the public over in the process to become the highest placed female of the series.

WORST:

Sezer - a thoroughly vile individual, along with Grace I vividly remember the hate for him because I used to look on Teletext and people would text in to the Big Brother page, and there was nothing nice ever about him apart from the odd person saying he was hot, and rightfully so! He thought he was god's gift to women, was sleazy and arrogant. His opinion of himself I remember was pretty high because he was one of those who truly believed he wasn't even remotely in danger when he was nominated for eviction. But he was proven VERY wrong when he was evicted with 91% of a 3 way vote, a record until Nicole Cammack in BB9 received 94% of a 3 way vote. He was accused of rape but cleared, both before and after the show aired.

Grace - this was a quite hard series because I think Sezer was the only truly vile one (and Dawn was thoroughly unlikeable I guess, but I'll stick to these too) with no redeeming features, Grace was a hideous person but as mentioned provided some entertainment. She was just nasty though rather than bitchy and funny most of the time, when you take away the one liners and defining moments, she was a spiteful mean girl type. But she did better than most after Big Brother even if not in the fame sense (although she did win Sky 1's circus talent show), as she found the love of her life in the house and is still married to him today!

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 21st July 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

BB7 is my favourite series. I like nearly all the contestants and I felt like there was always something to keep my watching. It helped that it was during exam season and the 6 weeks holiday so I was able to watch a lot of it live (how sad I was, the bird sounds will always haunt me)! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 21st July 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #33
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

THE ultimate series for me and the first I mainly properly watched (I remember watching bits of BB6, mainly through early morning Channel 4 repeats and through BBLB). So many iconic moments, housemates and twists.

Nikki was of course evicted too early, but it was great she managed to last as long as she did and she was the biggest character in there so will always be susceptible to a vote to evict, even if everyone wasn't up. I do like how they got her back in there but it wasn't right for her to win after being evicted once really. It was also a miracle that Aisleyne managed 3rd place but she was mainly well liked in the house iirc so obviously that worked in her favour!

I liked Grace! She was a bitch but it was entertaining, especially her iconic eviction. Sezer though was horrific, at least the oublic saw sense there and gave him a huge percentage margin when he thought he was safe!

But yes, I LONG for the days where 'get ... OUT' actually meant something, it made the whole thing such an event when they were eventually evicted. Rather than now where a housemate gets into like one small argument and suddenly they're being chanted to get out.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st July 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Big Brother 8

This series started in a fairly unique way, with a "twist" meaning that only women entered on launch night. This series didn't start as explosively as the few before it, although it is notable for being the first series following the CBB5 race row, so the most unfair ejection in Big Brother history occured when Emily used the n word to Charley, who did not take offence to it but of course in the wake of the race row the producers weren't taking any chances. Big Brother's oldest housemate Lesley also walked days later. Slowly, male housemates were filtered in as late entrants, including ex boyband member Ziggy, tree surgeon Liam McGough (one of my first crushes lol and he's still hot) and eventual winner Brian Belo, the first black winner and the first winner not to be in the house from day 1. Of course this series was defined largely by Charley Uchea, who I will cover below. There was also a tumultuous romance between Chanelle and Ziggy who were on and off more time than the bedroom lights, with Chanelle having numerous Nikki-esque (but ofc a Poundland Nikki) tantrums caused both by him and her arch rival Charley (POSH SPICE YOU f***ING WISH, UGLY BITCH), and Chanelle eventually walked quite late nto the series on day 63, although she probably wouldn't have lasted too much longer anyway. I actually did like Chanelle though, I feel like I am one of the few who did, she was hilarious at times. And of course, she gave us imo the best Big Brother single ever, the Pussycat Dolls esque I Want It, which reached #66 after being chronicled in an MTV documentary.

All in all the series failed to live up to the heights of the past 3, but I'd still say it was a time when BB was at the top of its game mostly. I will say though this is where the secret hosue stuff started to wear a bit thin, after it worked so well wit hthe bedsit and Aisleyne in BB7, and to a lesser extent Makosi in the secret garden. I do love this series so it feels odd not writing as much but it was a steadier series than 5, 6 or 7, never really hitting the same highs but still being a consistent grabbing series. Most of the huge moments came from individual contestants, who I'll cover below ofc.

BEST:

Charley - along with Makosi I feel Charley is one of the biggest examples of a disparity between fans and the "silent majority" of the generl public, although that feels much greater nowadays drama.gif She was loud and argumentative, but I don't think she was as nasty as say Grace or Saskia, she just was easy to anger and didn't always handle confrontations or disagreements in the best way. But even when she was being argumentative nad starting on god knows who for god knows what, Charley was hugely entertaining and quotable. She had a lasting rivalry with Chanelle, up to releasing a song called I Want It More which was obviously a reference to Chanelle's song, which provided some of her best moments and quotes as a result of their numerous clashes.

Samanda - I think now I'd probably hate them, as there was a similar pair on BBAU who I hated with every bone in my body laugh.gif But I absolutely stanned them at the time, they were just so much fun and so bubbly that it was impossible not to love them every episode! They are also the only housemates along with Stuart from BB5 who made it to the final(well, just before in poor Stu's case evicted with least votes to win) without a single nomination against them, so the house clearly loved them too. Them not winning was a huge shock, as bookies saw it as done and dusted, and I think they should have won over Brian for sure, although he was fine as a winner. After the show, the girls had a #26 "hit" with a cover of Barbie Girl *_*

WORST:

Carole - I remember her being really loved when she first went in, with huge cheers and she was a favourite to win. But good lord how quickly that went downhill... Carole is the archetype of what an older housemate shouldn't be, she always had to be right, the iamspamspamamiwas hers and hers alone just becasue she was an older woman, she was just really unlikable and had such a high opinion of herself. She was lucky she started well imo as she was up for eviction a few times but stayed under the radar, but by the time she was next in danger there was the Guru twist where hte house had to keep her or Gerry which she of course survived and came 5th inthe final.

Billi - a nasty vile man with a huge opinion of himself, I'm glad Charley was on hand to put him down during his short stay. Apparently he produces hardcore porn now,, lovely.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 21st July 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

With Darnell in a starring role! laugh.gif

...Yes, I've seen what he's hiding.

This was another one that I enjoyed, agree with you Liam that Liam (lol) was very handsome in a cute way. I think series 5-9 is the pinnacle of Big Brother.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 21st July 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #36
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Of course the race row was really one of the nails in the coffin for BB, but I think the all girls twist was also really harmful to the show. As we all know, the public tend to support males and so there were less people in the house for the general public to root for. I watched a few of the beginning episodes back a couple of years ago and many of the girls were a bit too all-knowning and definitely fitted into the category of wannabes. As much as I love Shabnam, the fact she wanted to get out to experience the fame after like one week is ridiculous. There weren't many housemates to root for either from the original housemates, a lot of it centered around Channelle vs Charley, and so normally the public would side with say Channelle and Charley would be the loveable villain but Channelle was far too whiny for people to get behind, and was often in the wrong I think.

The fact that its the only series where a late entrant won kind of says it all in respect of the original housemates.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 21st July 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

"the iamspamspamamiwas hers and hers alone just becasue she was an older woman"

Huh?! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st July 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(jase. @ Jul 21 2017, 09:24 PM) *
"the iamspamspamamiwas hers and hers alone just becasue she was an older woman"

Huh?! laugh.gif

Ffs, I always forget it's a spam filter because there used to be loads of spammers who spammed about iamspamspamami laugh.gif (there it is again - kitchens)

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 22nd July 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #39
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Shabnam already had a couple of minutes taste of fame before entering the house as she auditioned for the first series of Britain's Got Talent.

I know I heard people moan about comments Charley made about Gerry during an argument. It was said in the heat of the moment.

Samanda were just like a breath of fresh air, the nicest housemates in there, fun and cheerful. That clip when they were telepathic was funny. A classic moment from the series.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 22nd July 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Shabnam ended up on Embarrassing Bodies too laugh.gif Goals.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:04 AM