BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> G.U.Y. flopping ~ what should have happened?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Jul 28 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

We did this song dirty. What should've happened with the ARTPOP release strategy? Should this ever have been released, maybe earlier in the campaign? Were the singles before it the wrong choices?

DISCUSS~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 28 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #2
Group icon
QUOTE(Jαsє @ Jul 28 2019, 11:56 AM) *
I still can't believe 'G.U.Y.' bombed SO spectacularly. I didn't expect it to go top 10 or anything but jeez drama.gif

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jul 28 2019, 12:31 PM) *
Sexxx Dreams, MANiCURE and Gypsy should’ve been the ARTPOP singles after Applause tbh. They’d have all at least gone top 40 and sold a lot more than what GUY did. G.U.Y did have a strong video but by the time it was released the album was well out the top 100 wasn’t it and it did nothing for the campaign.

I’ve always loved Applause and at the time I did kinda dig DWUW want but it’s not one I’d go back too now.

I feel with ARTPOP though it was kinda cool to not like her and she was just the female at the time who wasn’t in favour. It happened to Christina in 2010 and it happened to Katy in the witness era. I feel it just wasn’t her time at that point to have a huge era.

Was Venus scrapped as the second single by Gagas label? I get the impression she wanted it to be the second single I think she even shot a music video for it didn’t she? But DWUW started taking off and overshadowed it? Was DWUW a promo single upgraded to single or something like that?

QUOTE(BigMixer @ Jul 28 2019, 12:52 PM) *
Well to be fair it was released during the transition to the Streaming era, and we all know how tragic Gaga's streaming stats were back then. I'm sure it'd have done much better if it was released during the time of Spotify/AM playlisting. Still a flop, but not a massive bomb it was in 2014.
Sexxx Dreams was the original lead single, wish they sticked to it and then released Applause.

She scrapped Venus just days before she was about to start filming the video.

QUOTE(Jαsє @ Jul 28 2019, 12:55 PM) *
'Dance In The Dark' and 'Sexxx Dreams' never being singles is such a f***ing mess laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 28 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Thought we could move discussion here. THIS WAS THE BIGGEST TRAVESTY KNOWN TO CHART HISTORY sad.gif

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Jul 28 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Certainly not one of my fave Gaga songs and it shouldn't have been a single but it deserved top 20 at least sad.gif

The whole single campaign for the album was a bit of a mess really. If it was up to me I woulda gone with:

LEAD: Applause
2nd single: Sexxx Dreams
3rd single: Gypsy
4th single: MANiCURE

The dreadful R Kelly f***ed everything up. 'Do What U Want' was a hit but all of the controversy which came with it was NOT needed drama.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 28 2019, 12:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I think at the time and without knowing what controversy was to come, DWUW would've been my choice for lead single sad.gif

But looking back:

LEAD: Gypsy
2ND: Applause (even though it's my least favourite single from her Lol)
3RD: Sexxx Dreams
4TH: G.U.Y. ~ yes it flopped but if the previous singles were a success then it could've done better.

As mentioned above though, it was cool to unlike her during this era and I doubt anything would've made it a big success. cry.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jul 28 2019, 12:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
The chorus sounds so flat, which is not what she needed at a time where people were turning their backs on her in droves and when her strong hooks were a big part of her popularity!

+Quote this post
Mixxer
post Jul 28 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #7
Group icon
#SaveLoveGame
User: 23,178
I still don't understand the whole strategy with that video.

ARTPOP --> Venus --> G.U.Y. --> Manicure

Guess they chose these songs hoping they would give the much needed sales boost to the album?

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jul 28 2019, 05:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
QUOTE(BigMixer @ Jul 28 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Guess they chose these songs hoping they would give the much needed sales boost to the album?

It didn’t really work but I do feel that was the plan.

Manicure was the best track from the video and I think if that was pushed more she could’ve had a hit but I think Gagas favourites from the album were the more experimental less radio friendly stuff.

Was GUY not played much on UK radio either or was it?

Either way it’s her most questionable single choice.

+Quote this post
post Jul 28 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I agree it was more about it being cool to unfairly hate on Gaga at the time. GUY is one of my all time favourite Gaga singles and one of her best videos but I think it was more about the artist and mob mentality, it reminds me of the Witness era for Katy where people had similar feelings.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 28 2019, 06:49 PM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jul 28 2019, 06:41 PM) *
Was GUY not played much on UK radio either or was it?

Either way it’s her most questionable single choice.

From what I remember it was C-List on Radio 1 and that's about it. C-list guarantees like a couple of plays a week? biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jul 28 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
That video is like the manifesto of Gaga and her artistry in the pop biz! There's a blog post about it somewhere, must find it.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Jul 28 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Here it is, it was actually on Paper Mag

https://www.papermag.com/lady-gaga-guy-artp...2632467533.html

G.U.Y. was the flop we needed!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Jul 28 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
The fact the video clearly cost an absolute FORTUNE probably didn't go down well with the label once the song bombed laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Aug 2 2019, 10:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(BigMixer @ Jul 28 2019, 03:52 PM) *

You must be havin a larf! rotf.gif

No WAY should she have released at LEAST two of those, and definitely a hard pass on Venus. G.U.Y was also awful, except for the beginning, greetings, Hymeros, bit. ARTPOP sounded so so sooo much better in the video than the actual promoted song!

1. Gypsy
2. Sex Dreams
3. Do What U Want (with Christina)
4. ARTPOP
5. MAAAYBE Manicure
6. Applause to finish up

I'm also surprised that you were all surprised by R Kelly? There were rumours and lawsuits for YEARS. I was like, omg, what is she doing? the second I saw him on the song. It was problematic having a man on that song in the first place. It should have been Christina.

Artpop was terrible, but Gypsy was an absolute BOP. She needed to pull back the promo, dial down the self-aggrandising compliments about it being the best album ever, no flying dress, and everything back to basics. Gypsy had to be the first single. That's how she needed to do it.

Also, I thought that she funded the video herself?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:42 AM