BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Throwback to "Work" at the BRITs 2016!, Two years ago today
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nick Jonas
post Oct 22 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,481
Absolutely love RR. And the guy in the video that was also in Cabin In The Woods. wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Oct 26 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
Throwback to "The Monster":

Released as the third collaboration between Rihanna and Eminem (following both versions of "Love the Way You Lie"), "The Monster" was almost a surprise-release (for 2013's standards), with the tracklist for Eminem's album 'The Marshall Mathers LP 2' revealing the collaboration on 22nd October with its release to iTunes worldwide coming the following week.

The song itself is very different in style to their previous collaborations, with much a much poppier production. It was also the first time that we heard from songwriter Bebe Rexha, who also performs backing vocals for Riri.

For me, it was pretty instant and although I don't listen to it that much now, I think the hook is instantly recognisable. Overall, it does feel a bit more dated than her other songs from around the same time that it was released.

It went straight to #1 in the UK upon release for one week although actually sold more in its second week when it dropped to #2. It climbed to #1 in the US on its sixth week on the chart, spending four week there in total over 2013 and 14. It also hit #1 in Australia, Canada, France, Ireland and Sweden amongst others and top 10 just about everywhere else.

Following the success of the song, Eminem and Rihanna teamed up for a joint mini tour over the US titled 'The Monster Tour' - they definitely missed an opportunity by not taking it worldwide.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Nov 2 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Throwback to "Princess of China":

Another superstar collaboration with Rihanna, this is essentially a duet between her and Chris Martin of Coldplay. It shows off Riri's voice beautifully and I love the harmonies between the two of them. The rockier production really suits her and musically it doesn't really sound like anything she's done before.

Again, it's not a song that I go back to often but I remember loving it at the time that the album was released and later when it became a single, although it feels generally forgotten amongst the general public now.

The parent album 'Mylo Xyloto' was released in October 2011 and "Princess of China" was so popular that "Princess of China" charted at #20 in the US and #33 in the UK. It later went on to peak at #4 in the UK and is one of Rihanna's top twenty best-selling singles here. It also reached the top 10 in Denmark, Ireland and Norway.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Nov 3 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #24
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Somewhat forgotten 'The Monster' I think. I'm glad that it got to #1 after Love The Way You Lie missed out.

Yes again you rarely hear 'Princess of China'. This was a big collaboration at the time I thought. Still love this.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Nov 3 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
'The Monster' is such an improvement on LTWYL but still not a highlight. 'Numb' remains their best collaboration.

'Princess of China' is one of her best features. She has so much chemistry with Chris in the video during the ''cause you really hurt me, no you really hurt me' parts. Also in their live performances they have amazing chemistry. And the last shot of the video is iconic.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post Nov 3 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #26
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
First song I ever bought on iTunes was Princess Of China

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Nov 23 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #27
Group icon
8 years ago (20th November 2009)

Rihanna's fourth studio album, 'Rated R' was released. The album followed her hugely successful 'Good Girl Gone Bad' era, her longest album campaign to date. The album's title was announced in October 2009 and indicated a change to a darker sound, as heard in the lead single "Russian Roulette" and promo single "Wait Your Turn".

It was of course released after a difficult year for Rihanna, following on from the assault on her by Chris Brown at the Grammy Awards in February of that year with many of the songs' themes pointing towards that relationship, including "Stupid in Love" and "Fire Bomb".

The album was deemed an initial under-performance but has since gone on to become her fourth best-selling in the UK, ahead of 2012's 'Unapologetic' and 2016's 'ANTi'. It became her fourth Billboard 200 top ten album but has been outsold there by all but her debut, 'Music of the Sun'. Despite the lack of commercial success in comparison to her other albums, it remains a firm fan favourite, recently being voted Buzzjack's favourite Rihanna album.

Discuss your memories of 'Rated R'! Which is your favourite song? What song can't you stand to listen to any more?

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Nov 23 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #28
Group icon
The older this album is getting the better it is for me. I used to always think it was overrated until it really clicked.

My highlights:
- Stupid in Love
- Rockstar 101
- Firebomb
- Photographs
- The Last Song

I don't dislike any of the songs though and love listening to the album as a whole.

It's definitely in my Rihanna album top 3 with 'Unapologetic' and 'Anti'.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post Nov 24 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #29
Group icon
---
User: 17,418
Her best album and Hard is in my Rihanna top 3 singles.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Jan 28 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #30
Group icon
'ANTI' was released two years ago today! Such an incredible album and moment from Rih - after almost a year of delays and false starts, she surprised us with this masterpiece wub.gif I'm still not tired of it and there's not a song I would skip. Crazy to think it's been two years but after the wait we had to get it, it's not that long.

Hopefully she comes back with something just as good, or better, SOON!

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Jan 28 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #31
Group icon
ANTI till such a RIDE all the way through. Can't believe it's been 2 years already 'cause I remember the morning after vividly.

But let's face it it's been TOO LONG since we got new music so she better hurry ha ass up.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Feb 24 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #32
Group icon
24th February 2016

Two years ago today, Rihanna returned to the UK for the first time since the conclusion of The 'Diamonds World Tour' in 2013 to perform a medley of "Consideration" and "Work" at the BRIT Awards. This was the fourth time in her career that she performed at the ceremony, although it was the first of the four that she was promoting new material, rather than performing as a nominee.

The featured artists from both singles, SZA and Drake, joined her on stage for the performance and it also hinted that Riri and Drake had become an official couple for the first time in their six years of working alongside each other. Their chemistry together was incredible and it was definitely a standout performance from the ceremony.

The song subsequently hit #2 in the UK Singles Chart, where it stayed for two weeks, behind "7 Years" by Lukas Graham and it was her 14th Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit, where it reigned for nine weeks.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:57 PM