BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Madonna's BEST ballad ● RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 8th December 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

'Live to Tell' is one of Madonna's most important ballads. It's so self-assured, with its near-minute long intro, the monologue-esque delivery and the anonymous subject matter that still makes an impact. Most of the song's selling power relies in the hands of Madonna's vocals, set in a lower tone that holds such a vulnerability yet a longing to be strong. We can guess at the song's message or put our own experiences forward; either way, the impact is always powerful. I must also add that, despite being a world away from the direction of the rest of True Blue, I've never found the song to stick out badly within the context of the album for some reason.

Placed back-to-back shows just how similar 'You'll See' is to 'Live to Tell', but not for a moment does it sound like a second-rate imitation. The intro is equally as dramatic and atmospheric, but there's a hint of something sinister there too. I don't pick up on any suggestion of that in the lyrics, so perhaps it's not meant to make that impression but, nevertheless, it sends chills down my spine and allows me to immediately engage with the song. The vocals are much higher but there's still that conflict of vulnerability and strength, although the latter seems to be more dominant since Madonna defiantly states "you are weak...I don't need anyone at all...no one can take it from me", which is a step up from the 'I hope but I'm just not sure" feelings we get from the above song. I feel I could be on to something with a journey of 'Live to Tell' to 'Take a Bow' to 'You'll See'.

I still remember the first time I heard 'Oh Father'. I decided one day to sit down and watch all of Madonna's music videos, which also meant I'd be hearing some songs for the first time too. 'Oh Father' was one of them and I think it was all the more impactful by watching the video at the same time. Firstly, we're introduced to one of those lullaby mobile things hanging over a snowy scene with a young girl skipping around whilst a twinkly tune plays over. All very nice and sweet, before the mood drastically changes when a more dramatic grand piano piece kicks in and we see that a woman has just passed away. At this point, I'm already hooked. I loved that initial juxtaposition and the vocal of that small first verse is so endearing. Then, BAM! The mood changes again, significantly more so than before. We see the sweet little girl playing dress up, doing what typical young girls do at that age, when the father bursts through the door, grabs and shakes the girl, practically lifting her off her feet, and shouts in her face before ripping away the pearl necklace. Clearly, the belongings were of the late mother and the father has a lot of unresolved issues surrounding her demise, but it hasn't sunk in for the girl and she doesn't understand her father's negative reaction. Of course, there is no excusing that behaviour and my sympathies are entirely with the girl, who's left visibly shaken and, from then on, remains afraid of her father. It's hard-hitting in itself, but that scene just immediately made me draw parallels with my own reality. My best friend had, around the same sort of time, revealed to me the estranged relationships she'd had with so-called father figures in the past and then-present and, whilst it wasn't necessarily exactly what we see in this video, it was enough to make me reflect and really hit me hard. I shared the video with her and it impacted her too; subsequently, it's kinda been "our" song, so I always think of her as well as the themes that the song/video intended to portray, which is why I'll always have a special place for 'Oh Father'.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qween
post 8th December 2016, 11:46 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

ANYTHING BUT FROZEN (though the other 2 are 11/10's so if either make it to the top then WIN)

+Quote this post
Qween
post 8th December 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

The trio of Oh Father, You'll See and Live To Tell is almost too much BACK TO BACK. The progression in her voice across the 3 and less than a decade is huge, yet even with You'll See she's still able to harness that deep well or raw emotion which has always made her ballads so powerful.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th December 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #44
Group icon
User: 13,007

03. Frozen // 108 points

The top 2 were a fair bit ahead of this, but making the top 3 is one of M's most well-known, signature, beloved beauties. 'Frozen' was the lead single of the hugely critically acclaimed 'Ray of Light' album and showcased yet another transformation for the artist. This time she was brooding, eery Earth Mother with tantalising lyrics, sensual sounds and hypnotic vocals. 'Frozen' is one of two songs from that album to feature in the top 3 and it came accompanied with one of her most beautiful and stunning videos. The song is constantly named as one of her greatest ever but a few low scores meant it was named "only" her 3rd best ballad.

Let all the hurt inside of you die

03. Frozen | 108
04. Oh Father | 103
05. You'll See | 96
06. Live to Tell | 94
07. Rain | 82
08. Ghosttown | 76
09. Take A Bow | 70
10. I'll Remember | 60
11. Intervention | 45

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th December 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th December 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th December 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th December 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #48
Group icon

Lmao

because if Frozen is a definite weak point in her career / this countdown ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th December 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

I believe my apathy towards it is well known, but it's more that the other 2 options are vastly, vastly superior (as is Live To Tell, Oh Father and You'll See but we can't have EVERYTHING)

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th December 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #50
Group icon

You only have apathy for it because it's so loved by many others. Such an extreme response for the song dropping out THIRD just because you prefer the other two lol. I also (as said previously) find it really similar to TPOG so to have huge love for one and apathy for the other is ODD but again it's the old "overrated so i have to express disdain for it at all times!!1" effect rather than judging the song on its own merits.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th December 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

It really isn't that at all, my NOT LOVE for Frozen is much the same as is the case with Take A Bow, when both on paper should be perfect (Take A Bow of course also being similar to You'll See, which I rate much more highly). Production wise the entire ROL album is sonically similar, but TPOG has a much more 'normal' structure and a stronger hook and Crazy For You has a whopper of a chorus (which, again, Frozen does not).

I've always felt of Frozen as a mood piece, and had I been a fan in 1998 then perhaps it would have had a bigger significance to me as it ushered in the glorious ROL era, but as is it's overshadowed by an album filled with superior melodies and hooks and feels like an overlong interlude at times.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th December 2016, 03:14 AM
Post #52
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Frozen is quite simply glorious! wub.gif It would have been my preferred winner out of the Top 3, but I'm not mad. x

Throwing my support behind Crazy For You now. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th December 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I can see John's point of view. The likes of 'Oh Father', 'The Power of Goodbye' and 'You'll See' have bigger emotive impact and generally have a bigger presence than 'Frozen' which has more subtle vocals and less of a focus on the lyrics (imo). The production is the main focal and creates one of the best atmospheres. The strings are spine-chilling and the little bits of Orbit wizardry are so eerie and suspenseful. I don't know the exact definition of a 'mood piece' but that feels like a very good description. It's easy to see why it has such great fans, and I'm definitely a fan, although I don't think I could rank it above the aforementioned songs because they just hit the heart in a bigger way.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 11th December 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #54
Group icon

LET'S DO THIS

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
Post #55
Group icon

02. Crazy For You // 124 points

In second place it's 'Crazy For You' - a classic, vintage, much loved ballad from the 80s. Taken from 'Vision Quest' and later featuring on her compilation albums, the song is the first proper ballad she released as a single and so its a fitting tribute for it to feature so highly here. The song garnered critical success, scoring M her first ever Grammy award and also smashed the charts worldwide. It's easy to see why, a beautifully crafted and vocalised number.

You're so close but still a world away

02. Crazy For You | 124
03. Frozen | 108
04. Oh Father | 103
05. You'll See | 96
06. Live to Tell | 94
07. Rain | 82
08. Ghosttown | 76
09. Take A Bow | 70
10. I'll Remember | 60
11. Intervention | 45

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
Post #56
Group icon

01. The Power of Goodbye // 132 points

A fairly close yet comfortable win for this, your favourite ever Madonna ballad is 'The Power of Goodbye'! Released as the fourth single from 'Ray of Light' the song is a brooding, mysterious and heartbreaking number that takes the ballad form and makes it into something so alluring and mystical. While she sings of the need to say goodbye, the song is hopeful and portrays departure and goodbyes as an empowering and freeing state of being. It's a brilliant, hopeful song deep down but her delivery of it and the production does not make for the most easy of listens. Vulnerable and haunting, it's no surprise to see it so celebrated among fans and it's done the business to be named Madonna's best ever ballad! There's nothing left to lose~

Your heart is not open so I must go

01. The Power of Goodbye | 132
02. Crazy For You | 124
03. Frozen | 108
04. Oh Father | 103
05. You'll See | 96
06. Live to Tell | 94
07. Rain | 82
08. Ghosttown | 76
09. Take A Bow | 70
10. I'll Remember | 60
11. Intervention | 45

+Quote this post
vibe
post 11th December 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

TPOG is seriously overrated on this forum . I love it but not the winner !

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 12th December 2016, 01:25 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I'll go into detail tomorrow, but I wasn't expecting a win for 'Power'! I knew it was well loved but I was fully geared up to see 'Crazy for You' in first position.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 18th December 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

'Crazy for You' is a staple 80s hit, but I see it as so much more than a nostalgic throwback. As far as most were concerned, this was Madonna's first ballad; the first to step away from her pop-dance comfort zone; and she pulls it off perfectly. It's technically not that advanced from any other 80s balladry, but the intro never fails to make me feel all warm and fuzzy and Madonna's delivery elevates the song and puts a genuine sense of desperation in the lyrics. As Billboard said, it's the ultimate slow-dance song, with the swaying melody and the theme of unconditional, undying love.

From the desire of a love beginning to the need to let it go, 'The Power of Goodbye' is a very worthy winner of best ballad. Both songs are up there with her best, but the development between the two is incredible. The vocals are more restraint but visibly stronger, the production is both moody and dreamy, the lyrics are more complex and poetic - you definitely get a sense that Madonna knows what she is doing and has picked up on things that work along the way. I love the message of essentially turning something bad into something good; this idea that saying goodbye to a chapter in your life can be rejuvenating and refreshing instead of trying to keep it in tact for the sake of what it once was. Very reminiscent of the likes of 'I'll Remember', 'Take a Bow' and 'You'll See', but done in its own way.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:00 PM