BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Rate 2019 - The Results!, 20th Dec: Runner up and WINNER announced!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Oct 17 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #141
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

7.741 - 20. Let Your Head Go VICTORIA BECKHAM
8.042 - 19. Too Much SPICE GIRLS (11 '10' scores)
8.042 - 18. Northern Star MELANIE C (12 '10' scores)
8.056 - 17. Mi Chico Latino GERI HALLIWELL
8.159 - 16. Think About It MELANIE C

We start the top 20 results with Victoria's highest placed song: Let Your Head Go. In the video Victoria humorously pokes fun at her 'Posh' persona and the celebrity lifestyle: in one scene she throws a tantrum in her dressing room (wire coat hangers, heaven forbid!).

A big leap into the 8+ average scores now, starting with Spice Girls - Too Much in 19th place. Too Much was released in December 1997 as the second single from the Spiceworld album. It impressively sold over a quarter of a million copies in its first week on sale in the UK, and entered the chart at #1. Not only was it their 6th #1 single in a row (which was a record breaking achievement), but also their second consecutive Christmas #1. The song plays during the opening credits of their film Spiceworld: The Movie. It became their fourth and final top 10 hit in the US, where it peaked at #9.

The title track from Melanie C's debut album Northern Star is out next (with the same average score as Too Much, but Northern Star received more 10s). This was the second release from the album, in November 1999. The ballad entered and peaked at #4 in the UK chart, and went on to sell over 200,000 copies. Importantly the single's success benefited the album, which held onto the UK albums chart top 40 over the Christmas period.

In 17th, we have the final appearance from Geri Halliwell! Mi Chico Latino, with its Latin pop sound, made for a perfectly timed release (the summer of 1999 was dominated by hits from Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Lou Bega, Jennifer Lopez and Santana). Geri scored her first UK #1 with this single, the first of four, and its sales are not far off 400,000 copies here.

Rounding off this section of 5 is Think About It by Melanie C. This single launched the release of her 2011 album The Sea, but unfortunately its success was limited... a peak of #95 in the UK made it her lowest charting at this point. I think the majority of fans would agree it deserved far more than that, but sadly this position was a reflection that the UK public had really moved on from music from solo Spice Girls. Factors which may have hindered Think About It: the song premiered in July 2011, but it wasn't released until September - and its release date occurred in the same week as the album. Despite it being a commercial failure, fans clearly hold it in high regard - its Melanie's fifth highest placed song in the results!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 17 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #142
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Im glad both Vic and Geri are out. Both songs were cute but VERY overrated! Mi Chico Latino really didnt stand the test of time, it's now quite dated. Same with LYHG, I feel...

Northern Star is a gem. It really is an amazing ballad, im glad she released it and keeps doing it live. For me, its her best single on that album.

Sad about Too Much going so soon. It's such a gorgeous song, very chic and classy. It's a classic really. Personally, I always wished they would give it more of a (good) push when doing it live. They never did it justice live, and ruined it during the Reunion tour. During the Spice World tour this year, they did it well though, but it still could have had a bit more wooph in my opinion. It just doesnt translate very well live, I guess...

Personally I think Think About It is really overrated. Never liked it and she shouts a lot on it - specially live. I get it, it's pop music at Mel C's purest but the lyrics and her singing ruin it for me...

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Oct 17 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #143
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Northern Star surprisingly high but not complaining, lovely song! Think About It and Mi Chico Latino are great too *.*

I wouldn't have placed Let Your Head Go quite so high but it's a good song still. Too Much isn't a huge favourite of mine so I'd have placed that lower too...!

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Oct 17 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #144
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

Think About a bit too high for my liking but good results for the rest.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 17 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #145
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'Let Your Head Go' and 'Mi Chico Latino' are both solo gems! Forever salty that the former likely won't ever be on streaming services.

'Too Much' was one of my biggest Spice growers over the year for sure. Love it nowadays, so classy.

'Northern Star' is lovely but I can't say that I've ever really taken to 'Think About It' much, surprised it's higher than the all the others in that section!

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 17 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #146
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Too Much is much superior to MCL

TAI is Jam

NS is lush

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Oct 23 2019, 08:39 AM
Post #147
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

8.208 - 15. When You're Gone MELANIE C
8.375 - 14. Anymore MELANIE C
8.426 - 13. What Took You So Long? EMMA BUNTON
8.486 - 12. Wannabe SPICE GIRLS (0 '11' scores)
8.486 - 11. Stop SPICE GIRLS (1 '11' score)

It's time to start the top 15 with 2 Melanie C songs. At #15 we have When You're Gone with Bryan Adams, released on the 30th of November 1998 as the second solo spice single. It debuted and peaked at number #3 on the UK Singles Chart and spent 15 weeks in the UK top 40, with 9 of these weeks in the top 10. In the UK it's the biggest selling solo single, with over 700,000 copies sold. The song was a global success and is still played on the radio a lot 21 years later.

Another Melanie C song at #14 is Anymore, released on the 6th of September 2016 as the lead single of her Version Of Me album. The uptempo electro-pop song was a departure from the pop rock sound on her previous albums. It didn't do much chart wise but it was #1 in the UK Physical Singles chart. Jay and I were surprised this song was so high between the classics.

At #13 we have the brilliant What Took You So Long? from Emma, that was released on the 2nd of April 2001. It debuted and peaked at #1 with 76,000 copies sold in its first week and remained there for a second week, fighting off competition from Shaggy and Janet Jackson. It is Emma's first and only solo number #1 single in the United Kingdom.

The next song in this chart is Wannabe, the most successful song Spice Girls song worldwide,. It was released on the 8th of July 1996 and debuted at #3, rising to #1 a week later, where it stayed for 7 weeks. It was #1 in 31 countries all over the world, including America in 1997 where it stayed 4 weeks at #1. It was the best selling debut single by an all female group in the UK.

Before we enter the top 10 we have Stop at #11. It was released at the 9th of March 1998 and debuted and peaked at #2, behind "It's Like That" by Run-D.M.C. vs Jason Nevins. This meant that the Spice Girls' streak of consecutive #1 singles on the chart ended after 6 #1s. Stop became the group's only single released during their original tenure to not reach #1 on the UK chart. It was the group's last single released before Geri's departure in May 1998, though it was not the last single to include her vocals (which was Viva Forever). The hand-action dance during the chorus of the song is still remembered these days by many people.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Oct 23 2019, 05:07 PM
Post #148

Woah at Anymore!! Did not expect that so high but it's a brilliant song so no complaints...!

Wannabe not being top 10 is shocking, even though I know it's not exactly the best received song among Spice stans. It's truly iconic of course!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 23 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #149

After Wannabe, Stop seems to be the best remembered/most loved Spice Girls song amongst the public, so it'll always seem quite weird that in the 90s this was their only single that somewhat under-performed. 8 #1s that went platinum, while Stop peaked at #2 and only managed silver at the time. The hardcore fans never seem to have either song too high up their personal ranks, so I'm not too surprised by their placements here! Both are a bit higher than they were in the DenDen rates I hosted in 2012 and 2014!

I am very surprised that Anymore is so high! I really like it though, but top 20... not for me. I feel like it may have benefited by being in a rate amongst 2010s songs only, a lot of which aren't that well liked, so by comparison Anymore attracted higher scores. If 90s/00s and 10s had been altogether, I think Anymore probably would have ended lower than it has.

I'm slightly disappointed What Took You So Long? didn't make the top 10 results! I adore it wub.gif Both that & Maybe are firmly within my personal top 10.

When You're Gone is definitely a classic, although there are many Melanie C songs I prefer over it!

When it comes to the top 10, we have...

7 Spice Girls songs
2 Melanie C songs
1 Emma Bunton song
6 90s songs
4 00s songs

Maz & I are excited to reveal the rest of the results - stay tuned! x

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Oct 23 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #150
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Wow 2 Melanie C songs was not expecting that! Maybe will be the highest solo Spice track easily (it's not even my favourite Emma track)

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 23 2019, 10:53 PM
Post #151
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe is such a classic wub.gif

Im happy Anymore got so high actually. I think it is an ok song, nothing amazing but it's her best single since I Turn To You (personally I think she had better album tracks in Beautiful Intentions, dont @ me). I like it, but those lyrics in the chorus are terrible imo. Also, I am happy for When You're Gone. It's also such a classic!

What Took You So Long? did good to get to #13 although I would have put it firmly in the Top10 too!! It's such a gorgeous track, and video funky.gif

And Stop certainly deserves all the love it gets and more. I feel like it naturally becoming their second most popular song with time is destiny making amends for that #2 back in 1998 tongue.gif It's a gorgeous single, super stylish, great video and a great song. Them pulling off Motown vibes with pop like this was a total win!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: Oct 23 2019, 10:53 PM

+Quote Post
isanka
post Oct 24 2019, 12:19 PM
Post #152
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 88,486

From Fans, i still don't understand why Classics are at the TOP.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Oct 24 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #153
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I'm shook at these solo songs beating some Spice Girls songs! Making me wonder how close Mel will get to the top.

I anticipate a Viva Forever win though, esp following their tour performances.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 25 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #154
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Anymore deserves that position .

Shocked that stop is not top 10 .

+Quote Post
isanka
post Oct 25 2019, 10:32 AM
Post #155
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 88,486

Always ITTY & NBTSA are at the TOP... Seriously, she has done much better.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 25 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #156
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(isanka @ Oct 25 2019, 11:32 AM) *
Always ITTY & NBTSA are at the TOP... Seriously, she has done much better.

They shouldnt even be Top10 tbh. Never Be The Same Again is still cute but both songs have not aged well at alll blink.gif

+Quote Post
southernstar
post Oct 25 2019, 06:59 PM
Post #157
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 41,834
   No Gallery Pics

I hope for Viva Forever to win!!!! Absolutely not for Maybe or ITTY!!!!!!! sick2.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 27 2019, 01:32 AM
Post #158

8.685 - 10. Holler SPICE GIRLS

I'm very pleasantly surprised that Holler has made the top 10 of the Spice rate! It tends to receive a rather balanced love/hate reception on BuzzJack, but significantly more love has been thrown at it in this rate - an impressive 4 '11' scores, eleven '10' scores and only three out of 27 voters gave Holler less than a 6. Stan a bit!

Personally I think it's highly worthy of this positive reception. I've actually loved it unwaveringly since 2000! 12 year old me was thrilled that they had finally returned (I remember playing it over and over, getting my life to it), and 31 year old me still considers it to be that bop. Some fans were critical of the shift to an R&B sound, but out of all the tracks on the Forever album, I feel like Holler doesn't stray awfully far from their pop roots tbh, even though there's obviously an Americanised sound to it. That chorus is pretty undeniable imo, so catchy!

Upon its release in October 2000, Holler (alongside Let Love Lead the Way, as a double a side release) entered the UK chart at #1 - their 9th chart topper in their first 10 releases. There's only eight other artists in music history who've achieved more number one singles than that, and the majority of those have significantly larger singles discographies! Holler was a hit elsewhere too, peaking at #2 in Australia, Canada & New Zealand, and #3 in Ireland and Italy.

Holler is of course one of their songs released as a four piece; Geri left the group two and a half years before its release. Who would have thought back then that one day Geri would perform this song! She swerved the opportunity to do so during 2007/8's The Return of the Spice Girls tour, but finally in 2019 we saw her don a black leather outfit and strut her stuff alongside the other girls. *.*

I love the music video for Holler - the pyramid formation dance routine (definitely their most intricate choreography), the earth/wind/fire/air elements theme... it's a visual treat!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Oct 27 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #159

Quite honestly I've not recovered from Holler on tour yet

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 27 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #160

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Oct 27 2019, 04:41 PM) *
Quite honestly I've not recovered from Holler on tour yet

Omg same x What a moment!!

Where have all the raters gone btw? cry.gif (Obviously appreciate all the comments received so far!). 19 people who rated haven't replied once to the results though sad.gif Are y'all lurking~

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:43 PM