BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throwback! Anniversaries of Spice Girls moments, 20 years ago: Victoria Beckham This Groove/Let Your Head Go
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post Nov 7 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #41
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I agree.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 7 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #42
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

So many anniversaries, I can't keep up!!

18 years ago...
Sunday 7th November 1999

It's been 18 years since Geri Halliwell and Emma Bunton went head to head in the UK singles chart! Geri released Lift Me Up as the third single from her debut album Schizophonic, while Emma teamed up with Tin Tin Out for her first solo offering What I Am (a cover of the 1988 hit by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians).

At this point in time it hadn't yet been two full years since Geri had left the Spice Girls, and things between her and Emma were still quietly acrimonious. A chart battle wasn't ideal, and not planned by the ladies themselves; Geri openly criticised record label executives at the time: "I think that we should be responsible about that because that little kid has to part with four quid and making them decide is really wicked, I think. That is like choosing between two parents".

Nevertheless, their promotional schedules were intense, ensuring that they both occupied the top two positions - but it was Geri who succeeded in achieving the #1 spot, outselling Emma by a margin of 33,000 copies (139,000 vs 106,000 copies). Geri also won in terms of total sales; as of June 2017 Lift Me Up had sold 346,000 copies, compared to What I Am's 224,000.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 7 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #43
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder why neither of them changed their date by a week? I mean both were pretty much heading for the #1 spot it would have been better for both (well Emma) to have moved the singles so they didn't clash hence betting their discographies.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 8 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #44

03/10/1999 - 141,500 - Eiffel 65 - Blue (La Da Dee)
10/10/1999 - 172,600 - Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
17/10/1999 - 123,000 - Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
24/10/1999 - 92,000 - Westlife - Flying Without Wings
31/10/1999 - 137,000 - Five - Keep On Movin
07/11/1999 - 139,000 - Geri Halliwell - Lift Me Up
14/11/1999 - 122,600 - Robbie Williams - She's The One
21/11/1999 - 148,000 - Wamdue Project - King Of My Castle
28/11/1999 - 147,947 - Cliff Richard - Millennium Prayer
05/12/1999 - 158,328 - Cliff Richard - Millennium Prayer
12/12/1999 - 159,369 - Cliff Richard - Millennium Prayer
19/12/1999 - 213,000 - Westlife - I Have A Dream/Seasons In The Sun
26/12/1999 - 231,000 - Westlife - I Have A Dream/Seasons In The Sun

The only week near Emma's release, in which the #1 sold less than what Emma sold to be #2, is (rather surprisingly) Westlife's Flying Without Wings. Westlife 92k vs Emma 106k. The only thing is, if Emma had released a couple of weeks earlier, without the hype of a "Spice Girl vs Spice Girl battle", would she have sold significantly less than 106k, and therefore not prevented Westlife from #1 anyway?

Had Geri moved her week of release and Emma had kept it, the #3 behind Geri/Emma was Five's Keep on Movin', with sales of 87,000. So perhaps Emma would have managed to clinch #1 for herself (again, I'm assuming she'd have sold somewhat less than 106k without the battle hype).

If Geri had released a week earlier, I imagine she would have lost out to Five, and if she'd delayed by a week then she'd have been up against Robbie Williams... and I guess her label didn't feel brave enough for this scenario, even though his first week ended up being less than Geri's.

I know all of this is "moot point" territory! kink.gif It does seem that Emma's only viable chance of #1 would have been if Geri/EMI had decided to move, but it seems they were ultimately happy to stick to it - and it paid off for them!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 12 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #45

10 years ago...
Monday 12th November 2007

It's been a decade since the Spice Girls released their compilation album Greatest Hits!

The collection includes all 13 of their singles, including 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' which was a brand new single at the time. Additionally, 'Move Over' from the Spiceworld album and another new recording, 'Voodoo', were also included.

Greatest Hits was released in support of the Spice Girls' 'The Return of the Spice Girls' tour, which took place across Europe and North America, from December 2007 to February 2008.

It was released on the same date as X Factor winner Leona Lewis' highly anticipated debut album 'Spirit'. It was a foregone conclusion that Leona would claim the #1 album that week, and she did it in style - selling a huge 375,872 in its first week on sale. The Spice Girls did manage to enter at #2 though, with 75,787 sold. Greatest Hits was certified Platinum in the UK, and had sold over 413,000 copies as of August 2012.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 12 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #46
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

The Greatest Hits compilation was the first Spice album I ever bought *.* I'm glad they released it shortly before I got into them because a GH is always a solid starting point when you want to get into a group. Their chart career may have been short but they managed to pack a lot of hits into those few years!

It is a shame that the compilation isn't on Spotify. </3

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Nov 12 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #47
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Members
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

I always thought the Greatest Hits would have sold more for them, i know it has done well but i expected it to sell far higher.

+Quote Post
missingyou
post Nov 13 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #48
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 4,429
   No Gallery Pics

its been a very consistent seller for sure, but i also thought it would sell more, especially as Girls Alouds first GH sold over 1m, released 12 months before.

I feel like a Vinyl would have boosted sales long term, and if it was stocked in the super markets with those 3 pound CDs.

*if* the rumours of a new album next year are true, I hope its a repackage with say a bonus CD rather than a whole new greatest hits, then the sales will all count as one right

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Nov 13 2017, 12:37 PM
Post #49
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

The Greatest Hits was a nice collection, but it is somewhat lacking.

They did f*** all promo for it, and released it on the same week as Leona - all the press was again about the chart battle and how Leona had the upperhand - it was sad to see that actually, as maybe if they had released it in another week it would have stand a better chance.

Then the disgraceful Limited Edition Box - what a crack of shit. I bought it out of 'being a fan' but was so reluctant to do it, cos it was bad. I loved the pink, but the 'friendship bracelet' was at best childish and the content of the box super shit.

And Headlines, I think, didnt help it either. It was as a poor song, with a shit video. And I dont even want to talk about their performances of it, or even Voodoo.

So, I like the GH standard edition/two CD edition with videos. It's a great CD with all their singles plus a new track. I wish the standard edition was on Spotify as it would improve its sales over time.

Overall, a bit poorly handled, but a nice item to the collection.

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Nov 13 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #50
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

The total for the GH is obviously much higher than Jay's figure posted. It has charted for about 10 weeks in the top 200 after that figure.

As for the release, the cd and cd/dvd were fine, maybe adding step to me would have been good. The ugly pink box was such a disaster though.

A vinyl is crying out to be released surely.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 13 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #51
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

JESUS CHRIST

17 YEARS SINCE OUR OF YOUR MIND AND HOLLER

I CAN'T

I STILL LISTEN TO THEM A LOT

I LITERALLY CAN'T EVEN

OMG AT 18 FOR LIFT ME UP ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Fulvio84
post Nov 14 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #52
New Entry
Member No.: 39,660
   No Gallery Pics

I cant believe the reunion and the GH is already 10 years ago, seems less, actually they were absolutly perfect, I ams o happy they did and I was able to attend a concert. Many things could have been done better but still it was beautiful

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 23 2017, 01:26 AM
Post #53

19 years ago...
Monday 23rd November 1998 - Bryan Adams feat. Melanie C - 'When You're Gone'

18 years ago...
Monday 22nd November 1999 - Melanie C - 'Northern Star' (Single)

14 years ago...
Monday 10th November 2003 - Melanie C - 'Melt' / 'Yeh Yeh Yeh'

13 years ago...
Monday 22nd November 2004 - Geri Halliwell - 'Ride It'

11 years ago...
Monday 20th November 2006 - Emma Bunton - 'Downtown'

6 years ago...
Sunday 6th November 2011 - Melanie C - 'Weak'

5 years ago...
Sunday 11th November 2012 - Melanie C feat. Emma Bunton - 'I Know Him So Well'

4 years ago...
Friday 25th October 2013 - Geri Halliwell - 'Half of Me'

I forgot to mention a few of these anniversaries over the past few weeks! Note that today's date is exactly 19 years since 'When You're Gone', while yesterday was 13 years since 'Ride It' & 18 years since 'Northern Star'.

Can't quite believe how old some of these songs are now. 13 years since Geri's last Top 10 hit, and 11 years since Emma's last one... drama.gif cry.gif

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 23 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #54
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

When You’re Gone is still so huge . Played all over radio around the world . Melanie really did help this song become a hit !!!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 30 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #55

17 years ago...
Monday 27th November 2000 - Melanie C - 'If That Were Me'

16 years ago...
Monday 26th November 2001 - Geri Halliwell - Calling'

'If That Were Me' and 'Calling' have a couple of things in common - they're both ballads, and both were released as the last singles from their respective parent albums, 'Northern Star' and 'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster'.

The proceeds of Melanie C's single went to the Kandu Arts charity, due to the song's theme about homelessness. It was poorly received by critics, and it couldn't be called a fan favourite either (although I personally like it!). It peaked at #18 in the UK charts, which at the time was the lowest peaking single a solo Spice Girl had achieved. In fairness it was the 5th release from a multi-platinum album, and unlike her previous three singles, 'If That Were Me' wasn't edited or remixed for its release. As of 2009 it had sold over 53,000 copies, which believe it or not makes it Melanie's 7th best seller.

Geri had high hopes that 'Calling' would return her to #1 in the UK charts, but it wasn't to be - entering at a respectable #7 (its eventual total sales exceeded 70,000 copies). This chart position reportedly upset her, and it abruptly marked the end of the 'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster' era. It ended up taking her 3 years to follow it up (with 'Ride It'); in the intervening period she had tried her hand at acting, presenting and most notably became a judge on Popstars: The Rivals.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 30 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #56
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I like if that were me . But can you imagine if Closer for a single release ? It would have been a bigger hit and pushed album sales further !

+Quote Post
Fulvio84
post Nov 30 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #57
New Entry
Member No.: 39,660
   No Gallery Pics

I Love calling! Still a beautiful ballad.

If that were me is one of worst solo single ever for me

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Nov 30 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #58
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

The scary one is half of me being 4 years old, Jesus that 4 years has gone quick.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 30 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #59
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I like IFTWM but a double a-side of closer and be the one was screaming to be released! I thought suddenly Monday would have worked as a double-side with if that were me and given it that extra push.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 2 2017, 01:34 AM
Post #60
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Still to this day I never understand why 'If That Were Me' was chosen as a single, especially considering the critical panning that it had and the fact that it followed up 2 chart toppers, especially again given that there were several other tracks that were far better such as 'Suddenly Monday' or 'Feel The Sun' either of those could have stood a better chance chart wise, okay maybe not on the level of the previous hits, considering this was the 5th single from an already massive selling album, or maybe like Spiceboy said a double a-side with 'ITWM' and an uptempo track 'SM', those 2 together would have ended the era with a bang and maybe maintain her top 10 streak and maybe push the album sales to a Million copies.

Just listened to Northern Star again for the first time in years and it's still an amazing album and here's how I rated each track. 'If That Were Me' isn't bad song, it actually has a beautiful sound but that stupid line about her phone kinda ruins it, but as an album track it's decent, just not a good single choice on it's own and needed something alongside it. But still this and Emma Bunton's 'Free Me' are definitely the best Spice Girls solo albums.

Go = 8/10
Northern Star = 10/10
Goin' Down = 9/10
I Turn To You = 10/10
If That Were Me = 8/10
Never Be The Same Again = 10/10
Why = 7/10
Suddenly Monday = 10/10
Ga, Ga = 9/10
Be The One = 7/10
Closer = 9/10
Feel The Sun = 10/10

Geri Halliwell's 'Calling' is still a beautiful track and it's definitely one of the album's finest moments, although I still really liked 'Love Is The Only Light' as well and would have been happy if either one was picked for that X-Mas ballad type for the end of that year. However there was no way this was ever gonna top the charts following the pretty awful title track, which should not have been the 2nd single at all. I remember reading somewhere that 'Feels Like Sex' was gonna be the lead single until 'It's Raining Men' came along, which was probably the better choice considering that it became her 4th UK #1 hit.

So why wasn't 'FLS' considered as the 2nd single, it's a much better choice than 'SIYWGF', maybe remixed slightly for it's release, or what about 'Strength Of A Woman' which is another definite standout and again could have worked as a single, okay I doubt they'd give her a 5th chart topper, but honestly think that either one could have been a top 5 hit and therefore created more hype for 'Calling', doubt it would have charted higher, but it's #7 peak isn't terrible though.

'Circles Round The Moon' was another missed opportunity and should have been the 4th single, like it was originally planned for the following year and who knows it could have been a surprise hit and okay the album wasn't great, but there were some gems on there and if she'd released the better tracks, then maybe the album could have hung around for longer and sold a little bit more. Here's how I think this era should have went =

Lead Single = "It's Raining Men" (You either love it or hate it, but as it stands it did give her a #1 smash hit so it was a good career move)
2nd Single = "Strength Of A Woman" or "Feels Like Sex" (I'm still torn between these, probably the former would have been the better choice)
3rd Single = "Calling"
4th Single = "Circles Round The Moon" (Would have been the perfect ending to this era for early '02)

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Dec 2 2017, 01:37 AM

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:27 AM