BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Alex's Top 10 Favourite Girls Aloud singles
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Coral5
post Oct 4 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #1
Group icon
PTTP
User: 16,865

Good day for everybody. It's the second part from the series "Top singles" countdowns for my favourite pop artists / groups.
Now it's Girls Aloud time, in the next parts you will see Madonna, Britney Spears, Shania Twain and many another pop singers and groups, which I like. All another countdowns will be posted in the different sections of Buzzjack forum (Artists forums, Pop, Retro).

Part 1 (Sugababes) : http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158196

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 5 2013, 06:18 AM
Post #2
Group icon
PTTP

# 10. Untouchable

"Untouchable" is Girls Aloud's longest song (full runtime : 6:45) "Untouchable" follows the common verse-chorus form, but includes a number of instrumental solos. Nadine Coyle sings a middle 8 ("Without any meaning, we're just skin and bone...") as the music drops out. The song builds back up and concludes with a final chorus.

Sarah Harding described the song as "so Nineties, a proper pop dance song. It’s got that trancy, chilled Ibiza feel. [...] I get lost in the music at the beginning and then it builds and builds and builds. You just want to go mental." The "emotional twangy guitar noise" heard in the song was the result of Xenomania musician Jason Resch responding to Higgins' request for something "special".

The song entered the UK Singles Chart on 29 March 2009 at number 54. It entered the top forty three weeks later. The Sun reported that "Untouchable" was in danger of becoming the first Girls Aloud single to peak outside of the top ten, ending their six-year streak of twenty consecutive top ten singles. On 3 May 2009, it officially reached number eleven. On the Irish Singles Chart, the song entered at number 38 and peaked at number nineteen.

After the single failed to achieve top ten success when it was released late April 2009, a fan-created Facebook campaign was started nearly a year later (January 2010). The group hoped to push the single into the top ten, reviving and continuing Girls Aloud's streak. The campaign failed, with "Untouchable" only charting at number 152.

The futuristic video was inspired by Stanley Kubrick's classic science fiction film 2001: A Space Odyssey. Girls Aloud appear in "sci-fi inspired PVC leotards", travelling through space and approaching Earth in illuminated glass spheres (resembling meteorites). After the second verse, the words 'Alert: Condition Red' appear on the screen and the girls have trouble in their bubble-like orbs. They begin to plummet through Earth's atmosphere, with the spheres erupting in flames. Still burning, they pass an aeroplane and approach a city. The video ends with televisions showing the 'breaking news' as they hit the ground, with a reporter describing it as a "meteor shower" before turning to static.

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 6 2013, 05:28 AM
Post #3
Group icon
PTTP

# 9. Loving Kind

"The Loving Kind" was written by Pet Shop Boys, Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins and his production team Xenomania, and produced by Higgins and Xenomania. Described as a "synth pop ballad", "The Loving Kind" was originally written for inclusion on Pet Shop Boys' "Yes" (2009) before being given to Girls Aloud. Pet Shop Boys member Neil Tennant said that they co-wrote the song while working with Xenomania, and described it as "beautiful but still dancey". It was the second song Girls Aloud recorded for "Out of Control". It was said that "the lyrics have the sadness and melancholy of a massive proper ballad but the production drags the song straight to the dancefloor and lends it an undeniable sense of optimism." Lowe said he was "absolutely over the moon" with the result.

On 14 December 2008, "The Loving Kind" entered the UK Singles Chart at number 87 on downloads alone. The following week, it entered the top forty at number 38. In the run-up to the single's release, chart commentators began to speculate that the song could possibly become the first single by the group to miss the top 10. James Masterton wrote on his Yahoo! chart blog, "Their problem is the continuing chart performance of former number 1 hit 'The Promise'. Good reviews do not chart placings make and "this song is too good to be a flop" is as much a myth as "team X are far too good to get relegated"." After its physical release, "The Loving Kind" still managed to peak at number ten, becoming Girls Aloud's twentieth consecutive top ten single. It fell to number 14 the following week, but spent eighteen weeks in the top 100. "The Loving Kind" entered the Irish Singles Chart at number 49 and peaked at number sixteen.

This post has been edited by AlexRange: Feb 10 2014, 09:02 AM

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 6 2013, 05:33 AM
Post #4
Group icon
PTTP

# 8. Walk This Way

In 2007, British girl groups Girls Aloud and Sugababes recorded a cover of "Walk This Way" as the official Comic Relief charity single. The track charted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, giving Girls Aloud their third number 1 and Sugababes their fifth top hit.

The idea of a Girls Aloud and Sugababes collaboration came from Comic Relief co-founder and trustee Richard Curtis. Girls Aloud and Sugababes launched the charity appeal on January 31. Kimberley Walsh of Girls Aloud said, "It's a fantastic song and hopefully will raise tons of money for people living in really difficult situations here and in Africa."

"Walk This Way" entered the UK Singles Chart at number 1 on March 18, 2007. The following week, the single dropped to number 2; it was dethroned by another Comic Relief single, "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers with Peter Kay and Matt Lucas.

8th place in my favourite Sugababes singles list and the same position here. smile.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 6 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I prefer Sarah's Bum Note Remix for The Loving Kind if I'm honest.

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 7 2013, 07:11 AM
Post #6
Group icon
PTTP

# 7. Promise

"The Promise" is an homage to 1960s music, particularly Phil Spector's famous Wall of Sound technique. It has been described as "a 1960s-influenced pop gem given a contemporary Girls Aloud twist". Peter Robinson, however, noted that the song "also hinted at a mellower side of 1970s New York disco, as if it were some sort of long soundtrack from a deleted scene in Saturday Night Fever.

"The Promise" entered the UK Singles Chart at number one, knocking off Pink's "So What" from the top. It was Girls Aloud's first original number one single since their debut "Sound of the Underground" (although the charity singles "I'll Stand by You" and "Walk This Way" both peaked at number one). "The Promise" sold 77,110 copies in its first week, making it Girls Aloud's second best first week, beaten only by "Sound of the Underground" back in 2002. The single became the fastest selling single of 2008 until "Hero" - a charity single by the finalists on The X Factor - sold in excess of 100,000 copies two days after release, and 313,244 copies overall.

Additionally, the song entered the Irish Singles Chart at number four, their first time in the top four since 2004's "I'll Stand by You". In its second week on the Irish Chart, "The Promise" had risen two places to number two only being kept off by The X Factor Finalists who were at number one.

This post has been edited by AlexRange: Feb 10 2014, 09:01 AM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 8 2013, 03:06 AM
Post #7
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
'Untouchable' >>>>> LIFE >>>>...>>> DEATH >>>>> 'The Promise'

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 8 2013, 05:42 AM
Post #8
Group icon
PTTP

# 6. Whole Lotta History

"Whole Lotta History" is a pop ballad written in the key of A minor. Despite sounding more traditional than most Girls Aloud songs, "Whole Lotta History" is made up of seven different parts rather than following a verse-chorus formula. The song begins with a two-part introduction, a verse, and a pre-chorus before reaching its chorus. The song then continues with a different verse and a middle-eight. Following a repetition of the chorus, the song ends with a "wistful" conclusion sung by Sarah Harding.

Although the physical single was not released, "Whole Lotta History" was eligible to enter the UK Singles Chart on 12 March 2006, due to new chart rules allowing singles to enter the charts on the Sunday before its release based on download sales only. "Whole Lotta History" debuted at number eighty, before peaking at number six the following week. This made the song Girls Aloud's twelfth consecutive top ten single, although it only spent a mere five weeks in the top 75. In Ireland, the song debuted at number eighteen on the Irish Singles Chart and spent a total of six weeks in the top fifty.

The music video for "Whole Lotta History" was directed by Margaret Malandruccolo. Filmed in Paris, France, the video was Girls Aloud's first to be shot outside of the United Kingdom.

The video depicts each member of the band in a different setting reminiscing about a former love, as the lyrics suggest. Kimberley Walsh receives flowers inside of a café and apparently looks at her past boyfriend. Cheryl Cole is in an unruly hotel room, looking out of a window onto a street. Nadine Coyle looks through a photo album at a desk in a study, while Nicola Roberts looks at herself in a mirror. Sarah Harding walks alone along a river as couples pass by. The group shot consists of all members sitting together in a lounge (in the room Nadine's section takes place) laughing and discussing past relationships.

This post has been edited by AlexRange: Feb 10 2014, 08:57 AM

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 8 2013, 05:43 AM
Post #9
Group icon
PTTP

Any predicts ?

+Quote this post
Vülker
post Oct 8 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #10
Group icon
üüü barracüda
User: 10,222
Long Hot Summer is your number 1 isn't it?

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 9 2013, 05:36 AM
Post #11
Group icon
PTTP

# 5. Show

The song was written by Miranda Cooper, Brian Higgins, Lisa Cowling, Jon Shave, and Tim Powell. Contrary to the verse-chorus form that is typically used in modern pop music, "The Show" opts for a less conventional song structure. It was noted for its intricacy. The song's lyrics, which contain an anti-promiscuity message, "set in motion a writing style that would come to epitomise Girls Aloud's music".

On the week ending 17 July 2004, "The Show" debuted at number 2 on the UK Singles Chart, being held of the top spot by Usher's "Burn". It fell to number 5 the following week. "The Show" is Girls Aloud 17th best-selling single in the United Kingdom. In Ireland, it debuted at number ten, and peaked at number 5 three weeks later.

After the video shoot, Girls Aloud decided it was time to change their choreographer, hiring Beth Honan, who continued to work with the band for several years. Walsh also said that the music video for "The Show" was her least favourite from the band. The story takes place in a salon called "Curls Allowed." Each member of the band plays a character working in the salon, pampering and making-up a variety of men. Nicola Roberts is "Chelsea Tanner," who sprays insulting messages with fake bronzer onto her male customers; Nadine Coyle is "Frenchie", who ineptly tries to give her male customers facials; Sarah Harding is "Supa Styler", a hair stylist who fails to satisfy any of her customers; Cheryl Cole is "Maxi Wax", who makes the waxing process as painful as possible; and Kimberley Walsh is "The Boss", who looks on amusedly as her employees take their revenge on the salon's male customers.

My second favourite Girls Aloud video.

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 9 2013, 05:41 AM
Post #12
Group icon
PTTP

# 4. Beautiful Cause You Love Me

"Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me" was described as "a typical pop ballad", while its lyrics were deemed "striking and memorable". Amy Sciaretto of PopCrush noted that the lyrics address to "how the love of a good man can make you beautiful, and that love, not looks, are what’s important in life." During the chorus, the group sings, "Right now the whole world could call me ugly / So what? To you, I'm not / You don't love me cause I'm beautiful, oh no / I'm beautiful cause you love me." When asked about the song, Girls Aloud member Nicola Roberts said, "after I heard the first line, I said, 'STOP! That's our song'," while Kimberley Walsh added, "as soon as I heard it, from the first line onwards, I agreed with Nicola – we had to get that song."

Upon the release of Ten, "Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me" charted at number 97 on the UK Singles Chart. During the release week of the single, it failed to chart at the UK Singles Chart and it became the first single of the group to not chart inside the top-forty. It is also the first ever single from the band released that does not have an accompanying physical format.

Most underrated Girls Aloud single.

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 10 2013, 05:50 AM
Post #13
Group icon
PTTP

# 3. See The Day

In 2005, British all-female pop group Girls Aloud recorded a cover of "See the Day" for their third studio album "Chemistry". Their version was produced by Brian Higgins and his production team Xenomania. A contender for the Christmas number one, the single was released just four weeks after "Biology". The single became Girls Aloud's lowest charting single at that point (# 9), but continued their string of top ten hits on the UK Singles Chart. "See the Day" also reached its peak of number 14 in its fourth week on the Irish Singles Chart and spent eight weeks in Irish top 50.

The music video, which had the feel of a painting, featured Girls Aloud in the scenic landscape of a snow globe. The video starts with a stage curtain being drawn back, similar to the opening for the video for "Biology". The girls are revealed to be in a snowy realm wearing white dresses. Throughout the video, various close-up glamour shots are shown, as well as group shots of the girls standing in a line and sitting aronud a pond reflecting the night sky. At one point, the girls can seen within a snow globe, perched upon a human hand. The video ends with the girls seated around the pond, while the song title glitters in the sky. The curtain then closes.

Real Christmas # 1 song.

This post has been edited by AlexRange: Feb 10 2014, 08:55 AM

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Oct 10 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505
'Walk This Way', 'Beautiful Cause You Love Me' and 'See The Day' are dreadful. sick2.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 10 2013, 01:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon
See The Day is their worst single by a mile. Beautiful Cause You Love Me really is so underrated wub.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post Oct 10 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Oct 10 2013, 02:09 PM) *
See The Day is their worst single by a mile. Beautiful Cause You Love Me really is so underrated wub.gif

word.

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Oct 10 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #17
Group icon
PTTP
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Oct 10 2013, 01:09 PM) *
See The Day is their worst single by a mile.

I dislike only "Something New" sick2.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 10 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(AlexRange @ Oct 10 2013, 04:24 PM) *

I actually can't. That's their BEST. cry.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 10 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #19
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
QUOTE(AlexRange @ Oct 10 2013, 04:24 PM) *

+Quote this post
Regina
post Oct 10 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Oct 10 2013, 06:22 PM) *
I actually can't. That's their BEST. cry.gif

Wake Me Up and No Good Advice say HELLO.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:50 PM