BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meat Loaf is back from hell!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
robgomm
post Feb 7 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,267
   No Gallery Pics

Hi there, i'm new to these forums so please be gentle smile.gif

I just wanted to share with you my review of Meat Loafs latest album, Hell In A Handbasket:

After the triumphant return of Meat Loaf last year with the rocking Hang Cool Teddy Bear, then the sell out tour that followed, you would think Meat would take a little time out.

Not so!

Meat has got himself a portable studio, and he has secretly been recording this new album whilst on tour, so this means the quickest follow up to an album by Meat than ever before!

Meat Loaf explains the idea for this album is all about him and his feelings on the world today, and he sings about the problems that many people face. He says that in all his past albums he has always portrayed characters. But now, for the first time ever, this album is all about Meat.

Fitting the concept of this album, the opening track is 'All Of Me', where Meat lays bare his anger and his insecurities, and it sets the tone for the album. Also matching the idea of this being personal to Meat, the vocals are the rawest you have ever heard. what you get is pure Meat, how he sounds live, delivering with passion that only he can portray. This might turn some people off but I think the idea works incredibly well. In these days of note perfect, auto tuning, fake albums that sound nothing like the artist live it's refreshing that someone is prepared to put it on the line and say, this is how I sound, take it or leave it.

Given how much I loved Hang Cool Teddy Bear I tried very hard not to get swept away by fanboyism that inevitably says the new album must be better than the last one. I have remained subjective. But there is no getting away from the fact that Hell In A Handbasket is a much more consistent album than Hang Cool. Whereas with Hang Cool I felt there were a couple of weaker songs that I might skip, and a couple that I couldn't play in front of the kids, that is not the case here. The album flows smoothly from one song to the next, and if anything the songs have deeper meaning this time around because Meat sings about things that affect everybody or someone you know in todays crazy world.

If you were put off by some of the bad language in the last album, then I would urge you to pick up Hell In A Handbasket as you will like it far more. My opinion? The best Meat Loaf album since Welcome To The Neighbourhood in 1995/6.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
All★bySmashMouth
post Feb 7 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #2
FM11
Member No.: 7,795

I'm impressed that he is still making records.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Feb 7 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #3
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

Thanks for posting, we do actually have a reviews section of the website though so the forums aren't generally used for this kind of thing.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 7 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #4
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(¿ CHARLIE ? @ Feb 7 2012, 05:05 PM) *
Thanks for posting, we do actually have a reviews section of the website though so the forums aren't generally used for this kind of thing.

Arr right sorry about that.

Yeah Meat is still making records at the age of 64!

I saw him in 2010 for the Hang Cool tour and it was great. Sure he doesn't sound like he did in 1977 when he started but then who would? That's not to say he sounds bad, he just sounds different, but still the same in so many ways. And of course when he sings his more recent stuff he sounds more like he does on there. It's all really good, great entertainment as always.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 7 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #5
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

I've now added the review in the reviews section, thanks again.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Feb 10 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #6
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(robgomm @ Feb 7 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Arr right sorry about that.

Yeah Meat is still making records at the age of 64!

I saw him in 2010 for the Hang Cool tour and it was great. Sure he doesn't sound like he did in 1977 when he started but then who would? That's not to say he sounds bad, he just sounds different, but still the same in so many ways. And of course when he sings his more recent stuff he sounds more like he does on there. It's all really good, great entertainment as always.

Surely 1977 marks the release of Bat Out Of Hell - his second album. His first was in 1971. Although he probably likes it to be overlooked.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 10 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #7
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Severin @ Feb 10 2012, 01:24 PM) *
Surely 1977 marks the release of Bat Out Of Hell - his second album. His first was in 1971. Although he probably likes it to be overlooked.

Yeah, wasn't that Stoney and Meat Loaf?

+Quote Post
Severin
post Feb 10 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #8
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(robgomm @ Feb 10 2012, 01:55 PM) *
Yeah, wasn't that Stoney and Meat Loaf?

That's the one. Never properly heard but I seem to recall it's... shall we say, not his usual style

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 12 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #9
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Anyway, you can hear some samples from the new album at Amazon now they have it all up.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 13 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #10
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Meat Loaf is No. 1 on Play.com pre orders!!!!

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 18 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #11
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Meat Loaf's Hell In A Handbasket is BBC Radio 2's album of the week for the next week! Tune in to Ken Bruce every day between 9.30am-12pm to hear it!

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 22 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #12
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Hey guys, how are you all doing? What you up to? I'm off to an album signing session on the 28th for Meats new album in London!

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 27 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #13
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Meat Loafs new album Hell In A Handbasket released today!

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Feb 27 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

It's far from his best album, but it's definitely solid. I really like his take on California Dreamin' much more than I expected to.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 27 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #15
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah it's not his best but like you say it's quite consistent.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Feb 29 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #16
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

So yesterday I met Meat Loaf at Londons big HMV and got him to sign my copy of his new album, Hell In A Handbasket. It was a great day out, met up with the fan club, waited around telling stories and such, and then got to meet the man himself. I surprised myself with how cool I was and how I wasn't nervous or anything.

At the end of the day I realised he's just another guy whose work I greatly admire, so i've no reason to be any more nervous meeting him than he would be meeting me. And i'm good at meeting people anyway. So although it was brief we had a nice exchange of words and I got my album signed, a worthwhile experience.

Early indications are that the album will go top 5 this week which is a good result for Meat.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Mar 6 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #17
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

So pleased that my favourite artist made No. 5 in the UK album chart. Shows he's still got a lot of fans out there, still popular.

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Mar 6 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

I'm glad he got a good chart placing, but it's quite misleading really. The sales were pretty dire (just over 16,000). Even Hang Cool sold nearly double that, and that was one of his worst albums in my opinion. I can't see the album hanging about for very long, which is a pity, as it's a solid set.

I think we can safely say that Meat's days as a force in the music business are long behind him. It's a shame, as I still love him, but his best days, artistically and certainly commercially, are definitely long gone.

+Quote Post
robgomm
post Mar 6 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #19
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PaulM1983 @ Mar 6 2012, 04:44 PM) *
I'm glad he got a good chart placing, but it's quite misleading really. The sales were pretty dire (just over 16,000). Even Hang Cool sold nearly double that, and that was one of his worst albums in my opinion. I can't see the album hanging about for very long, which is a pity, as it's a solid set.

I think we can safely say that Meat's days as a force in the music business are long behind him. It's a shame, as I still love him, but his best days, artistically and certainly commercially, are definitely long gone.

I don't agree with that at all. For one thing the music industry is dying a slow death anyway so I wouldn't expect there to be as many sales. I also believe a big factor will have been the staggered worldwide release. As it was available in Australia since October that must have had a large impact on sales everywhere. For one reason people would have bought an import copy which wouldn't have counted towards sales here. And for a second thing and probably more likely, piracy. People aren't going to wait 4-5 months for an album that was already released elsewhere. They're going to download it. And once they've got it then it's a question of how decent people are. Will they buy the release properly when it comes out over here? I think we can see these factors have had a huge impact and it would be naive to think otherwise.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Mar 6 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #20
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

QUOTE(robgomm @ Mar 6 2012, 05:09 PM) *
I don't agree with that at all. For one thing the music industry is dying a slow death anyway so I wouldn't expect there to be as many sales. I also believe a big factor will have been the staggered worldwide release. As it was available in Australia since October that must have had a large impact on sales everywhere. For one reason people would have bought an import copy which wouldn't have counted towards sales here. And for a second thing and probably more likely, piracy. People aren't going to wait 4-5 months for an album that was already released elsewhere. They're going to download it. And once they've got it then it's a question of how decent people are. Will they buy the release properly when it comes out over here? I think we can see these factors have had a huge impact and it would be naive to think otherwise.

What evidence do you have for this?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:00 PM