BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Bré's UK Charts Family Fortunes / RESULTS, results on page 5!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 10th June 2020, 07:35 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Thanks to the 32 of you (plus myself - I locked my answers in before I even started the voting thread so no accusations of cheating xx) who took part in this quiz, not bad turnout for the final quiz of the season ~

Results starting v shortly, I'll try not to take forever with them. First a quick recap of the questions:

1. Name a song that charted in the UK top 40 after becoming popular on TikTok.
2. Name an artist whose highest charting song in the UK peaked at #2.
3. Name an album which missed the UK top 40 despite containing at least one UK top 10 single.
4. Name a song that is a cover or heavily samples another song and charted higher in the UK than the original version.
5. Name an artist who has had UK top 40 singles in at least four different decades.
6. Name an artist from Europe, not including the UK, who has had a UK top 40 single this year.
7. Name a charity single which did not reach #1 in the UK.
8. Name an artist who has at least one UK #1 album, but their highest selling album did not reach #1.
9. Name a song which reached the top 40 in the UK for the first time after the artist's death (having been released during their lifetime).
10. Name two artists that BuzzJack would complain endlessly about if they made a song together.

A quick note about question 10, I decided to grant an additional half point for each other respondent who answered one of the same two artists but a different second artist, so that question is worth a little more than the rest - I hope this will make sense when I get to the results for that question (it's turned out looking a little convoluted but I think it is a fair way to assess it magic.gif)

A few fun stats before we start:

- the lowest scoring top answers are worth just 4 points (for two different questions)
- only 4 questions have a top answer worth more than 10 points
- no question had more than half of respondents going for the same answer *
- there are 2 questions where all but one person got points
- there is at least one incorrect answer that was nonetheless worth points

Mystery and intrigue ~ question 1 results coming in a moment.

* which I am pleased about, this is what I was going for, I don't like overwhelming landslides in Family Fortunes xx
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 10th June 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,005

Looking forward to see how I did! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th June 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hype cheer.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 10th June 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

First time taking part in a chart forum in ages and I really struggled with some, so me to not embarass myself please!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th June 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon

1. Name a song that charted in the UK top 40 after becoming popular on TikTok.

13 Doja Cat - Say So // *Callum, xajnipi, Josh!, girlsaloudjunkie, Jáhq, Scene, Bjork, Viper*, Klumzee, JosephStyles, Dan17F1, Jade, dj_tim_e, RobBot
3 Megan Thee Stallion - Savage // vibe, M4NGO, Lee_J11, West
3 Powfu - death bed (coffee for your head) (feat. beabadoobee) // awardinary, n4yr, LewisGT, MrAndrewMan

2 Drake - Toosie Slide // chrissmith276, Dobbo, Riser
2 Lil Nas X - Old Town Road // Bré, King Rollo, dan-G
2 Roddy Ricch - The Box // paulgilb, Jordan Lee, StoneDragon

0 Arizona Zervas - ROXANNE // jimwatts
0 Regard - Ride It // PeteFromLeeds

We start out with one of the more straightforward questions, albeit one where I did not get the runaway top answer - I was banking on there just being too many big hits of TikTok origin from the last few months without any one being more obvious than any others so went for the original TikTok hit from Lil Nas X but for some reason between all of the more recent TikTok hits it's 'Say So' that people gravitated to far more than any other. It is one of the best songs on this list to be fair, and by a female artist which should always be a consideration in BuzzJack quizzes, but I didn't think there'd be such a big gap nonetheless! This is actually the biggest gap between 1st and 2nd in the entire quiz, although 'Say So' isn't the highest scoring individual answer.

Of course all of these songs were massive on TikTok so there aren't really any 'wrong' answers per se, although I'd question whether 'Toosie Slide' really fits the bill considering it was an engineered TikTok hit compared to all the other answers being songs that were either album tracks or obscure songs by unknown artists before being picked up by the app. Nonetheless, it's worth 2 points. Commiserations to jimwatts and PeteFromLeeds who go home empty-handed from question 1 despite perfectly valid answers.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 10th June 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I had no idea Say So was on Tik Tok!

Part of me was gonna for Savage though but picked The Box as I thought that was the biggest laugh.gif

+Quote this post
RobBot
Post #7
Group icon

WOIIII, Say So felt the first big 'plucked out of nowhere' Tik Tok hit to me that made me aware that that platform was so impactful, but maybe that's just cos of how much I love the song. I wasn't even aware that's why Old Town Road blew up, if I'm honest.

+Quote this post
Jade
Post #8
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Hooray, off to a good start *.* I really wasn't expecting such a convincing top answer for this ohmy.gif Doja Cat just really stood out for me personally as TikTok has done wonders for her career in general - see 'Candy' getting more exposure as well through that. Also the female artist thing and quite a recent massive hit.

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 10th June 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I thought Toosie Slide would be more popular as it made #1 very recently! Guess not haha.... I get the point it as kinda engineered for TikTok but it did premiere on there!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th June 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon

2. Name an artist whose highest charting song in the UK peaked at #2.

7 Sash! // Josh!, paulgilb, girlsaloudjunkie, Jordan Lee, n4yr, LewisGT, Klumzee, RobBot
6 Janet Jackson // chrissmith276, Jáhq, M4NGO, jimwatts, Dobbo, Jade, StoneDragon
5 Doja Cat // Scene, dan-G, West, Riser, JosephStyles, PeteFromLeeds
1 Amy Winehouse // Bjork, King Rollo
1 Avril Lavigne // Lee_J11, Viper*

0 Alicia Keys // *Callum
0 Bastille // awardinary
0 Carpenters // dj_tim_e
0 Dannii Minogue // vibe
0 Jonas Blue // MrAndrewMan
0 Lana Del Rey // Bré
0 Natalie Imbruglia // Dan17F1
0 Rag'n'Bone Man // xajnipi

Three pretty different trains of logic all arrived at similarly high scoring answers here - the top answer winds up being Sash! who of course has the record for most #2 hits without reaching #1 (doing so 5 times), but only just behind is Janet Jackson who's well known for being one of the overall most successful chart acts to never reach #1 (peaking at #2 twice) and then only another point behind that is Doja Cat who is the most popular choice of those plumping for someone who had a #2 hit very recently - see the previous result (though oddly enough only 2 people answered Doja Cat for both questions). Two other answers score a point each - Amy Winehouse whose big hit was her feature on Mark Ronson's 'Valerie', and Avril Lavigne who topped out at #2 with 'Girlfriend'.

Bastille, Carpenters, Jonas Blue, Natalie Imbruglia and Rag'n'Bone Man have all also had more than one #2 hit (3 for Bastille, 2 each for the others) without hitting the top but none of them are worth points here. Also worth nothing are Alicia Keys (whose only #2 was as a feature on Jay-Z's 'Empire State Of Mind'), Dannii Minogue (who got there with 'I Begin To Wonder') and, most damningly for my chances of doing well in my own quiz, Lana Del Rey (who peaked with Ariana Grande/Miley Cyrus collab 'Don't Call Me Angel', there was me thinking this was a good answer after the question about artists who have had #1 albums but not #1 singles in the last FF, boo xx).

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 10th June 2020, 08:12 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Ah Sash!! So many good songs.

Glad to pick up some decent points with Janet here though!

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 10th June 2020, 08:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

Yay didn't expect 'Say So' to score so highly! I guess it's the most memorable Tik Tok song so far (bar Old Town Road but that was kinda before the app went mainstream)

Also yay at Sash! after the thread made a resurgence I thought I should've gone with a more well-known artist but I'm glad the chart geeks still reign on Buzzjack.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th June 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Omg why does Janet Jackson never top these questions laugh.gif one day!!

+Quote this post
Lunar
post 10th June 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 73,703

No idea why but Say So didn't even cross my mind for Q1!

Not surprised that I didn't pick up any points with Jonas Blue - he was the only one I could think of but I kind of expected that no-one else would think the same. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 10th June 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

I was always going to struggle on Q1 as I didn't really know what TikTok was.

For Q2,I normally answer Janet Jackson for that type of question but for some reason,opted for Amy Winehouse instead.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 10th June 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon

WOIIII

+Quote this post
Scene
post 10th June 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Shocked I was only one of two people who put Doja Cat for the first two answers. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th June 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

How did no-one else go for Ride It?! ohmy.gif wasn't it literally the first TikTok song to become a massive Top 10 hit.

I was toying between that and Truth Hurts as well, I really am out of touch.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 10th June 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Had no idea that Say So was made popular by Tiktok but at least I went for the second most popular answer! How on earth did more people put Sash! than Janet Jackson when she literally always comes up in these discussions whenever they're had on the site?!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th June 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

And for some reason, despite knowing that Janet Jackson nearly always wins these polls, I decided to go with Doja for Q2 drama.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:43 AM