BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Worldwide hits that flopped in only one country?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
house.martin
post 19th September 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 68

Mull of Kintyre by Wings, one time UK's biggest ever hit (before Band Aid) I believe missed the US top 40, possibly even missing the top 100
Wasn't 99 Red Balloons by Nena originally released in the UK in German, and didn't reach the top 40, until an English version was released? Off topic???
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 19th September 2014, 11:17 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

'Mull Of Kintyre' wasn't the A-side of the single in the US - they promoted 'Girls School' instead and peaked at 33. Paul McCartney's solo Number One 'Pipes Of Peace' was also flipped in the States, though at least that still made Top 30 there.
Conversely, 'Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey' (credited to Paul & Linda McCartney) was a US Number One that wasn't released as a single in the UK - they released 'Back Seat Of My Car' here and it only got to 39, which was a massive flop for him in 1971.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 20th September 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

QUOTE(marcin @ Sep 18 2014, 10:38 PM) *
- Olly Murs feat. Flo Rida - Troublemaker
It performed very poorly in the Netherlands spending only 7 weeks in their Top 100 with a #66 peak

- Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop
Top 20 nearly everywhere, even in France it reached #26 however in the Netherlands only #48

- Wiz Khalifa feat. 2 Chainz - We Own It
Multiple Top 10's and Top 20's but a mere 3 weeks in the Dutch Top 100 (peak: #48, even lower than in Spain where rap doesn't usually sell at all)

- OneRepublic - Stop And Stare
Somehow their Dutch profile is pretty irrelevant even more than the UK one prior to "Counting Stars" but this old hit only reached #46 in Holland despite succeeding in the UK

- David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj - Turn Me On
Big success worthy of at least a Top 30 place everywhere bar the Netherlands where it peaked at #68

- Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
See as above, it never went higher than #59 in Holland, at least Top 30 elsewhere

- Jason Derulo - In My Head
Top 20 all around and only #43 peak in the Netherlands

Gosh I didn't know we were such trolls drama.gif

But these stats seem to be based on our sales chart, which is like the Digital Songs Chart in the US.
On our "official" chart, aka the top 40 based on streams and airplay (previously included sales instead of streaming until very recently), some of these songs did much better due to their massive airplay.

One Republic reached #18, Turn Me On reached #36 and In My Head reached #13. The rest didn't reach that chart so they flopped rightfully

(Soz but it irks me when people use different charts from the "official" laugh.gif)

EDIT: The Netherlands is probably the biggest troll to Britney Spears. We hate her hear, which results in her solo top 20 hit being over 9 years ago, while she continues to be remotely succesfull in the rest of the world

This post has been edited by *Tim: 20th September 2014, 05:33 PM

+Quote this post
marcin
post 20th September 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 800

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 20 2014, 07:30 PM) *

But these stats seem to be based on our sales chart, which is like the Digital Songs Chart in the US.
On our "official" chart, aka the top 40 based on streams and airplay (previously included sales instead of streaming until very recently), some of these songs did much better due to their massive airplay.

One Republic reached #18, Turn Me On reached #36 and In My Head reached #13. The rest didn't reach that chart so they flopped rightfully

(Soz but it irks me when people use different charts from the "official" laugh.gif)

EDIT: The Netherlands is probably the biggest troll to Britney Spears. We hate her hear, which results in her solo top 20 hit being over 9 years ago, while she continues to be remotely succesfull in the rest of the world

Of course I always use only the sales charts, even for the USA.
Additionally in the Netherlands the sales Top 100 has the official status so it duly is usually referred to when analysing chart performance in your country. smile.gif
Practically each country except from the United States uses sales (+ streaming) as indicator of success. If a song is high on airplay but people refuse to buy or stream it, it definitely doesn't deserve to chart high. OneRepublic's music is for instance very radio-friendly so it would automatically mean all their tracks are hits which obviously is not the case. Even their most loyal public in Germany didn't particularly like "Something I Need" in spite of its exposure and the song flopped even though almost every other single from them is an instant smash over there.

When it comes to Spears, she's also pretty irrelevant these days in Germany, Austria and a couple of other markets including the UK so you're not alone there in the Netherlands. wink.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 20th September 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 20 2014, 05:30 PM) *

Yooooou radical TROLLS!!!!! mad.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st September 2014, 12:23 AM
Post #46
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" which was #1 almost everywhere, but in Canada only managed #55. Also "I Should Be So Lucky" which again a hit practically everywhere but in USA only #28 and Canada #61. "The Locomotion" successful everywhere but the Netherlands were it only peaked at #40.

Britney Spears "Sometimes" which hit top 10 mostly everywhere but only managed a #21 peak in the USA. And okay not a flop but "Oops I Did It Again" only managed #9 in the USA and worldwide it was top 5. "Me Against The Music" a smash worldwide but #35 in the USA.

Madonna - Material Girl, top 20 everywhere apart from France where it peaked at #47 and again "Cherish" a worldwide top 20 smash but #21 in France, even "Vogue" only managed a #9 peak. "Secret" #29 over there as well. "American Pie" a smash hit everywhere but only #29 in USA. Also "Hung Up" which didn't flop but #1 everywhere but #7 in the USA.

Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World) #26 in Brazil and also "S&M" #25 in Brazil.

Maroon 5's - This Love #26 in Sweden.

Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl (#19 Spain)
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (#22 Hungary, #21 Sweden)
Katy Perry - Firework (#27 Japan)
Katy Perry - E.T. (#24 Belgium (Flanders)
Katy Perry - Part Of Me (#48 Spain) (top 40 everywhere else)
Katy Perry - Roar (#81 Slovakia)
Katy Perry - Dark Horse (#91 Japan)

One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful (#63 Netherlands)
One Direction - One Way Or Another (#28 Sweden)
One Direction - Best Song Ever - (#85 Czech Republic)
One Direction - Story Of My Life (#99 Czech Republic)

+Quote this post
n4yr
post 21st September 2014, 12:41 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 14,964

I believe the reason why "Sometimes" and "Oops!... I Did It Again" peaked so low in the US is because neither were given a physical release there, and charted on airplay only.

What's regarded as Canada's official chart during the 2001-mid 2007 time period was the physical single sales only chart; which is essentially irrelevant because physical single sales were practically nothing in that time period.

This post has been edited by n4yr: 21st September 2014, 12:47 AM

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 21st September 2014, 02:20 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

The general trend seems to be songs by black artists not charting well in some European country or dance songs not charting well in the US.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 21st September 2014, 07:33 AM
Post #49
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

There MUST be a reason for this but "Stan" only made #51 in the US.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 21st September 2014, 08:48 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

That's a great example!

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 21st September 2014, 11:25 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Sep 21 2014, 08:33 AM) *
There MUST be a reason for this but "Stan" only made #51 in the US.

Don't know why, but I'd suspect it's something to do with the song's lack of airplay (only #33 on pop radio and #36 on urban radio), which is factored into the US chart. Maybe the song had limited availability in US stores too or something.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 21st September 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #52
Group icon
Bitch of t seet

QUOTE(marcin @ Sep 20 2014, 08:46 PM) *
Of course I always use only the sales charts, even for the USA.
Additionally in the Netherlands the sales Top 100 has the official status so it duly is usually referred to when analysing chart performance in your country. smile.gif
Practically each country except from the United States uses sales (+ streaming) as indicator of success. If a song is high on airplay but people refuse to buy or stream it, it definitely doesn't deserve to chart high. OneRepublic's music is for instance very radio-friendly so it would automatically mean all their tracks are hits which obviously is not the case. Even their most loyal public in Germany didn't particularly like "Something I Need" in spite of its exposure and the song flopped even though almost every other single from them is an instant smash over there.

When it comes to Spears, she's also pretty irrelevant these days in Germany, Austria and a couple of other markets including the UK so you're not alone there in the Netherlands. wink.gif

I think you missed the point.
The sales chart is NOT the official chart, the top 40 is. It's regarded the most representative of the Dutch taste, due to artist not being able to buy themselves their chart positions.

+Quote this post
marcin
post 21st September 2014, 01:37 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 21 2014, 01:38 PM) *
I think you missed the point.
The sales chart is NOT the official chart, the top 40 is. It's regarded the most representative of the Dutch taste, due to artist not being able to buy themselves their chart positions.

You're wrong, Tim. The Netherlands has 3 official charts:

Single Top 100
Dutch Top 40
Mega Top 50

There's nothing like "representativity of Dutch (or any other nation's) taste" as the nation as a whole obviously has no taste of its own. Each of the above charts is compiled differently and one may indeed argue that the Top 40 represents the best what seems like the most popular current songs around. Nevertheless, it uses airplay data which is why it doesn't represent what people select to consume unlike in every other European country. If we are to compare successes in various territories, let's not mix apples with pears. When we use the Official UK Sales Chart to determine the song's status in the British Isles, it's logical to look at the sales chart from the Netherlands as well especially if it IS official, just like the combined one.

+Quote this post
marcin
post 21st September 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Acidburn @ Sep 21 2014, 02:23 AM) *
Madonna - Material Girl, top 20 everywhere apart from France where it peaked at #47 and again "Cherish" a worldwide top 20 smash but #21 in France, even "Vogue" only managed a #9 peak. "Secret" #29 over there as well. "American Pie" a smash hit everywhere but only #29 in USA. Also "Hung Up" which didn't flop but #1 everywhere but #7 in the USA.

"Secret" was a smash in France reaching #2, it was in Germany where it stalled at #29.
"Cherish" wasn't such a huge hit in Madonna's discography so its French peak of #21 wasn't such a big disappointment after all.
"American Pie" wasn't released in the USA so it shouldn't count in here.

Besides, Brazil and Czech Republic don't have sales chart, their official rankings have always been based on airplay, only recently some digital and streaming charts start to emerge.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 21st September 2014, 03:09 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Bitch of t seet

QUOTE(marcin @ Sep 21 2014, 01:37 PM) *
You're wrong, Tim. The Netherlands has 3 official charts:

Single Top 100
Dutch Top 40
Mega Top 50

There's nothing like "representativity of Dutch (or any other nation's) taste" as the nation as a whole obviously has no taste of its own. Each of the above charts is compiled differently and one may indeed argue that the Top 40 represents the best what seems like the most popular current songs around. Nevertheless, it uses airplay data which is why it doesn't represent what people select to consume unlike in every other European country. If we are to compare successes in various territories, let's not mix apples with pears. When we use the Official UK Sales Chart to determine the song's status in the British Isles, it's logical to look at the sales chart from the Netherlands as well especially if it IS official, just like the combined one.

Lord... Do I need to spell it out for you?
Nobody uses the single top 100. The mega top 50 is a chart compiled by a radio station called 3FM and dear lord do you seriously think I wouldn't know the charts of my own country?!

+Quote this post
marcin
post 21st September 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 21 2014, 05:09 PM) *
Lord... Do I need to spell it out for you?
Nobody uses the single top 100. The mega top 50 is a chart compiled by a radio station called 3FM and dear lord do you seriously think I wouldn't know the charts of my own country?!

I'm not a lord (yet) wink.gif
You can spell what you want. It won't change the fact that the singles Top 100 is official whether you like it or not. wink.gif
It wouldn't have been given the official status if no-one had used it (used for what by the way?)
I'm not saying you don't know the charts of your own country but their knowledge is public so one doesn't have to live in your country to know them.

+Quote this post
Hayzayy
post 21st September 2014, 03:28 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Who's Daniel btw ?
User: 1,804

How many number 1's will Jessie J have with Bang Bang?

+Quote this post
bobiloko
post 21st September 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,532

"Zombie" by The Cranberries was a HUGE hit all across Europe... yet somehow only reached number 14 in the UK chart...

+Quote this post
Luciano
post 21st September 2014, 11:36 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 96

QUOTE(bobiloko @ Sep 22 2014, 12:26 AM) *
"Zombie" by The Cranberries was a HUGE hit all across Europe... yet somehow only reached number 14 in the UK chart...

So weird for them, I remember "Linger" having big airplay too and only reaching No.14. I think it was more of a case of people deciding to buy the albums instead, as both "Anybody Else..." and "No Need To Argue" were huge.

+Quote this post
fchd
post 22nd September 2014, 09:57 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,639

QUOTE(marcin @ Sep 21 2014, 04:18 PM) *
I'm not a lord (yet) wink.gif
You can spell what you want. It won't change the fact that the singles Top 100 is official whether you like it or not. wink.gif
It wouldn't have been given the official status if no-one had used it (used for what by the way?)
I'm not saying you don't know the charts of your own country but their knowledge is public so one doesn't have to live in your country to know them.

Yet you are getting it wrong time after time. Listen to Tim. He knows.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 03:35 PM