BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> European Super League?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 19th April 2021, 05:35 AM
Post #21
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

How interesting. I've stopped paying attention to all sorts of football, even international because of the ludicrous displays of corruption so this, this seems like a uniquely bad proposition for fans and an enriching one for this set of clubs. Hope they are soundly rebuffed for the sake of entertainment, or they go ahead and this becomes their downfall.

On a pure entertainment level, I just don't understand how anyone would want to see inter-European matches between the big shots become a commonplace league thing rather than a season-ending highlight. And that's not even getting into the impacts this'll have on every other club by undermining Champions League. Feels like a huge Disneyfication of the football industry, or at least an attempted one.

this is all to say that UEFA and FIFA are awful too.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 19th April 2021, 09:01 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

German media reporting Dortmund rather than Leipzig is the second German team invited.

UEFA meeting today, let’s see how long it takes for the associations to announce they will be expelled from the national league for joining

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 19th April 2021, 09:30 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

A possible attempt by the government to scupper English teams joining the Super League -

Would be interesting to see if there’s any truth to this, the idea of a Tory government supporting something like this even a few years ago would’ve been unthinkable. Easier for the Tories to shift left on economy and all that.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th April 2021, 09:40 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

It is a disgrace but this all started with the champions league so now the smaller European countries all fight it out in 5 qualifying games before they get the right to be stuffed by teams from the top 4 leagues in the group stages.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 19th April 2021, 09:50 AM
Post #25
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

i can't see this happening tbh but there's going to be a huge fall out regardless

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th April 2021, 04:26 PM
Post #26
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(steve201 @ Apr 19 2021, 10:40 AM) *
It is a disgrace but this all started with the champions league so now the smaller European countries all fight it out in 5 qualifying games before they get the right to be stuffed by teams from the top 4 leagues in the group stages.

The problem I have with it all is everyone acting like this is all brand new to football. How many teams have won the Premier League since it was born? The only team that won it by not spending loads was Leicester City. A great story and a complete fluke. We literally allow Man City to flaunt the rules and sportsmanship of football every season! BT have released a statement that they are fully against it.. of course they are as it does not serve their self interests!

People often have short memories, it's not too long ago the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace etc. wanted to declare the 2019-2020 season null and void to sustain their own self interests. Now they are in the media saying it is terrible. I'm not a huge fan of the Super League in its proposed format but it was always inevitable something like this was going to happen at some stage. The uproar from footballing bodies is crazy.. we have a World Cup is bloody Qatar on the hoirzon laugh.gif How is that moral!?! And more to the point, does anyone really believe sponsors are going to pay the same money if the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Salah and Kane are not playing!? laugh.gif

There's been little comms from the Super League 12 so far save for some pre-orchestrated PR. It will be really interesting to see what the next move is, I still suspect it's a power play and which will eventually happen.

+Quote this post
fchd
post 19th April 2021, 04:37 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,639

The very fact that a mid-table team, Arsenal, are in on this proves that this is not about sporting excellence or even basic merit, just money money money.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th April 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Rooney @ Apr 19 2021, 05:26 PM) *
The problem I have with it all is everyone acting like this is all brand new to football. How many teams have won the Premier League since it was born? The only team that won it by not spending loads was Leicester City. A great story and a complete fluke. We literally allow Man City to flaunt the rules and sportsmanship of football every season! BT have released a statement that they are fully against it.. of course they are as it does not serve their self interests!

People often have short memories, it's not too long ago the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace etc. wanted to declare the 2019-2020 season null and void to sustain their own self interests. Now they are in the media saying it is terrible. I'm not a huge fan of the Super League in its proposed format but it was always inevitable something like this was going to happen at some stage. The uproar from footballing bodies is crazy.. we have a World Cup is bloody Qatar on the hoirzon laugh.gif How is that moral!?! And more to the point, does anyone really believe sponsors are going to pay the same money if the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Salah and Kane are not playing!? laugh.gif

There's been little comms from the Super League 12 so far save for some pre-orchestrated PR. It will be really interesting to see what the next move is, I still suspect it's a power play and which will eventually happen.

The biggest issue with the proposal is the American based lack of competition. Of course the current system isn’t perfect nothing ever is!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 19th April 2021, 05:48 PM
Post #29
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

The revamped 36-team Champions League was agreed on Monday.

It comes the day after 12 clubs, including six from England, announced plans to join a new, separate European Super League (ESL) instead.

The controversial new Champions League format is due to start in 2024 and run until at least 2033.

A planned announcement last month was scrapped amid arguments over club involvement in the running of the tournament.

The new format will see 36 clubs qualifying for an expanded 'first phase', where all clubs will play against 10 opponents of varying strengths.

This will result in a league table, with the top eight qualifying for the knockout phase and the next 16 going into a play-off for the remaining eight slots.

The format has been criticised by fans' groups, not least because two of the additional four slots will be allocated on the basis of past performance, to the clubs with the highest Uefa co-efficient that did not qualify for the Champions League automatically - but did qualify for another European competition.

If the process was in existence this season, Liverpool - depending on the outcome of the domestic cup competitions - and Chelsea would have been the clubs who stood to benefit.

The criticism around this format is that it would strip away the basis of qualification being around league position as a team could qualify for the Champions League despite finishing lower in the table than a team in the same league that missed out.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th April 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I don’t agree with the co-efficient points, didn’t realise that!!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 19th April 2021, 06:35 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Well this is all very interesting!

I've never really been a massive fan of the Champions League, mainly based on how the distribution of teams per country works and the fact that actual champions have to face off against each other in a ton of qualifying only for the Top four from England/Spain/Germany/Italy can just saunter in at the group stage. The 36 team format did pique my interest initially as it seemed like it would make the process fairer but looking at the actual rules it seems that's not the case.

As for the Super League itself, it does seem a little pointless with the exception of making more money and from my own perspective not something I would be interested in watching in the slightest. On another note, do all these teams have the time to play in the Super League as well as all the various leagues and cups they're already playing in? Won't the players all collapse from exhaustion?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th April 2021, 06:52 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Apr 19 2021, 07:35 PM) *
Well this is all very interesting!

I've never really been a massive fan of the Champions League, mainly based on how the distribution of teams per country works and the fact that actual champions have to face off against each other in a ton of qualifying only for the Top four from England/Spain/Germany/Italy can just saunter in at the group stage. The 36 team format did pique my interest initially as it seemed like it would make the process fairer but looking at the actual rules it seems that's not the case.

As for the Super League itself, it does seem a little pointless with the exception of making more money and from my own perspective not something I would be interested in watching in the slightest. On another note, do all these teams have the time to play in the Super League as well as all the various leagues and cups they're already playing in? Won't the players all collapse from exhaustion?

Exactly. I'm sure players and managers are really impressed that the response of their clubs' owners to complaints about too many matches is to add even more to the schedule.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th April 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #33
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(steve201 @ Apr 19 2021, 06:40 PM) *
The biggest issue with the proposal is the American based lack of competition. Of course the current system isn’t perfect nothing ever is!

I disagree with this. The NFL, IPL and NBA are some of the most competitive leagues around, merley because everyone is largely signing from the same hymn sheet. Of course then it becomes a franchise which I am less keen on, but the American sports model is quite competitive, it's just a different kind of competitive that we're not used to.

I still think eventually the English clubs will get what they want and break away from the Super League.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th April 2021, 09:00 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

If you come bottom of the NFL do you get relegated?

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th April 2021, 09:04 PM
Post #35
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(steve201 @ Apr 19 2021, 10:00 PM) *
If you come bottom of the NFL do you get relegated?

No, you get rewarded with the first draft pick the following season laugh.gif Not too keen on that aspect. The good thing about those leagues is most teams are on a level playing field and isn't weighted towards the bigger clubs.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th April 2021, 09:57 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Exactly why it’s a nonsense!

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th April 2021, 10:03 PM
Post #37
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(steve201 @ Apr 19 2021, 10:57 PM) *
Exactly why it’s a nonsense!

I like some elements of the idea but I don't know how it would work.

I am just loving the irony and hypocrisy of loads of clubs and the media and using the football pyramid as justification for their anger laugh.gif I get why people are upset and I'm not exactly thrilled, but football has been mismanaged for a long time and for all the anger, nobody has any alternative solutions.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 19th April 2021, 10:16 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

American football is one of the most boring things i have ever watched. And ive been subjected to cricket.

There is not a SINGLE thing in Europe that could be improved by importing something from the United States. Not ONE. Food, English, Sporting Culture, nothing. Let the yanks keep their "world series" that only they compete in and we can stick to achievement through hard work and merit.

I'm far prouder of Gladbach reaching their first ever knockout stage of the UCL than I would ever be of United winning this shitshow. Gladbach qualified from a literal group of death to get there and this ESL is a closed league forever. What shite.

Im still yet to see a single justification why a competition of European elite should include fecking spurs of all people.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th April 2021, 10:22 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

^^ THIS

I actually hate the NFL when they come over and wreck Wembley before the league cup final every year and all the w*n**rs who watch the super bowl one night per year because it a hip thing to do

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th April 2021, 10:24 PM
Post #40
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ Apr 19 2021, 11:16 PM) *
American football is one of the most boring things i have ever watched. And ive been subjected to cricket.
There is not a SINGLE thing in Europe that could be improved by importing something from the United States. Not ONE. Food, English, Sporting Culture, nothing. Let the yanks keep their "world series" that only they compete in and we can stick to achievement through hard work and merit.
I'm far prouder of Gladbach reaching their first ever knockout stage of the UCL than I would ever be of United winning this shitshow. Gladbach qualified from a literal group of death to get there and this ESL is a closed league forever. What shite.
Im still yet to see a single justification why a competition of European elite should include fecking spurs of all people.

Yeah the American culture of sport is dull and way too long, but the concept isn't too bad. But I can't see how they can work it in the same way, but certainly allowing all the teams to work out of the same salary caps and budgets would lead to an open compeition and not one team having a significant financial advantage. I find the IPL really exciting too, although I don't watch too much of it.

I did listen to the Guardian Podcast earlier and their lead journo did infer that he's heard the agenda for the Top 6 clubs is unclear at the moment and they're all going together as one voice as it strengthens their hand.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:39 AM