BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 16th February 2019, 05:28 AM
Post #81
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Hi Jade! hi.gif Decided to just do a full comment at the end, I won't know too many of these until it gets to the late 2000s. But 1997 was loaded with classics so what a year to start with *.*

01. Dario G - Sunchyme
02. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life This is probably my favorite Spice Girls song because it's so fast-paced and infectious, it's soooo hard to choose though!
04. Olive - You're Not Alone Did you know this song entered the chart in a record-breaking chart week as there were 20 new entries in the top 40? ohmy.gif I learned that several years ago so not sure if the record still stands, but it probably does!
05. Adam F - Circles
06. White Town - Your Woman Ooh I just heard this a few days ago!! It's aged very well, doesn't sound like a #1 to me which makes it more awesome that it actually was one. Gorillaz is a great comparison! Plus, imagine if this song never existed and Naughty Boy couldn't sample it - would his breakthrough have ever happened? ohmy.gif
08. Will Smith - Men In Black
10. Robbie Williams - Angels
11. The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
14. Blur - Song 2
16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize
19. Puff Daddy & Faith Evans - I'll Be Missing You (feat. 112)
20. Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) I've been wondering why this song was associated with Halloween ohmy.gif Maybe I've somehow never seen the video, I'm glad you pointed it out!
39. Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
40. Janet Jackson - Got 'Til It's Gone (feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell)

Awesome thread so far biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th February 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #82
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 16 2019, 05:28 AM) *
Hi Jade! hi.gif Decided to just do a full comment at the end, I won't know too many of these until it gets to the late 2000s. But 1997 was loaded with classics so what a year to start with *.*

01. Dario G - Sunchyme
02. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life This is probably my favorite Spice Girls song because it's so fast-paced and infectious, it's soooo hard to choose though!
04. Olive - You're Not Alone Did you know this song entered the chart in a record-breaking chart week as there were 20 new entries in the top 40? ohmy.gif I learned that several years ago so not sure if the record still stands, but it probably does!
05. Adam F - Circles
06. White Town - Your Woman Ooh I just heard this a few days ago!! It's aged very well, doesn't sound like a #1 to me which makes it more awesome that it actually was one. Gorillaz is a great comparison! Plus, imagine if this song never existed and Naughty Boy couldn't sample it - would his breakthrough have ever happened? ohmy.gif
08. Will Smith - Men In Black
10. Robbie Williams - Angels
11. The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
14. Blur - Song 2
16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Hypnotize
19. Puff Daddy & Faith Evans - I'll Be Missing You (feat. 112)
20. Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back) I've been wondering why this song was associated with Halloween ohmy.gif Maybe I've somehow never seen the video, I'm glad you pointed it out!
39. Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
40. Janet Jackson - Got 'Til It's Gone (feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell)

Awesome thread so far biggrin.gif

Hey there Jordan! hi.gif heart.gif

I was hoping you'd stumble across this thread and enjoy it, as you always seem to appreciate the retro chart feature of my regular personal chart *.* fair enough at you not expecting to know many until the 2000s, I cannot wait to get into that decade as it's my ultimate favourite decade of music <3 it definitely benefits from me growing up during that time but so many amazing genres were thriving during this time, already excited to dive into 2000 for garage alone, for instance! Hooray for 1997 providing highlights anyway, I'm currently creating my 1998 list and this one was even harder to cut down so hopefully you can maybe find a few highlights there.

Fantastic choice of favourite Spice Girls song if I say so myself wub.gif it is my second favourite of theirs but definitely the best Spice uptempo <3 I agree that it is so infectious, it was recorded in quite a manic way (they were in the middle of filming Spice World the movie at the same time and were constantly interrupted, I don't know how they did it!) so it feels so authentically fast-paced and fun. Also, I had no idea about that Olive fact ohmy.gif I'm ashamed of myself for not noticing how many new entries were in the chart that week as I've been combing through the OCC archive section for this laugh.gif wow though, that's incredible, how phresh! Would love to know if that was beaten but I'd assume not.

The impact of you hearing 'Your Woman' so recently *.* some of the songs in this countdown have been following me around on the radio atm, namely 'I'll Be Missing You', 'Never Gonna Let You Go', 'Spice Up Your Life' and 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)'! It hassss aged very well indeed and definitely feels like an unorthodox chart-topper <3 I wish this kind of alternative dance/trip-hop sound was still a chart force. Glad you see it, the vocals remind me so much of Damon's Gorillaz style and they often have quite alternative production. Oh my!! ohmy.gif now there's a thought laugh.gif

Yeah I was confused about the Halloween connection in the past too but it all made sense when I saw the video. Still tenuous though kink.gif yay for that being an educational tidbit anyway x

Thank you, glad you're enjoying it so far biggrin.gif *.*

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 16th February 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Hi Jade,here is my own top 20 from 1997. It was a very good year for music. Some of these are on your chart as well. As you've only included top 40 singles in your list,I've done the same so any non hits or album tracks from my top 1000 are not included here.

1. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
2. Depeche Mode - Home
3. Massive Attack - Risingson
4. The Orb - Toxygene
5. Olive - You're Not Alone
6. Eels - Susan's House
7. Radiohead - Karma Police
8. Prefab Sprout - A Prisoner Of The Past
9. The Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank
10. Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere
11. White Town - Your Woman
12. Republica - Ready To Go
13. The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
14. Daft Punk - Da Funk
15. Echo and the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever
16. Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!
17. The Source featuring Candi Staton - You Got The Love (remix)
18. Monaco - What Do You Want From Me?
19. The Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive
20. DJ Quicksilver - Bellissima

The first 13 of those were all in my top 1000.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 16th February 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #84
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Feb 14 2019, 08:12 PM) *
Oh and dandy - wot no Sunny Came Home and Robyn!! ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Sunny Came Home was 1998 for me... but Robyn, well let's just say I didn't get at all on board until about 2005 onwards, her pop tracks from 97 were just not my thing at all.

Just catching up with your top 10 Jade - nice enough #1, I do still like that now. The real highs for me are White Town ( wub.gif ), Chemical Brothers, Olive, Adam F and Oasis - the latter I went off for quite some time but I think it's aged rather well in the end.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th February 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #85
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Feb 16 2019, 02:09 PM) *
Hi Jade,here is my own top 20 from 1997. It was a very good year for music. Some of these are on your chart as well. As you've only included top 40 singles in your list,I've done the same so any non hits or album tracks from my top 1000 are not included here.

1. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
2. Depeche Mode - Home
3. Massive Attack - Risingson
4. The Orb - Toxygene
5. Olive - You're Not Alone
6. Eels - Susan's House
7. Radiohead - Karma Police
8. Prefab Sprout - A Prisoner Of The Past
9. The Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank
10. Pet Shop Boys - Somewhere
11. White Town - Your Woman
12. Republica - Ready To Go
13. The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
14. Daft Punk - Da Funk
15. Echo and the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever
16. Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out!
17. The Source featuring Candi Staton - You Got The Love (remix)
18. Monaco - What Do You Want From Me?
19. The Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive
20. DJ Quicksilver - Bellissima

The first 13 of those were all in my top 1000.

Hi Rollo hi.gif thank you for sharing your top 20 chart hits *.* pleased to see that we have a handful in common, almost a snap position for Olive! I'll make sure to check out the songs I don't know as there are quite a few of those.

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 16 2019, 02:22 PM) *
Just catching up with your top 10 Jade - nice enough #1, I do still like that now. The real highs for me are White Town ( wub.gif ), Chemical Brothers, Olive, Adam F and Oasis - the latter I went off for quite some time but I think it's aged rather well in the end.

Hooray for a good half of those being highs for you! I think I remember seeing 'D'You Know What I Mean?' as one of your 1997 #1s earlier in the thread, so wow at you going off it ohmy.gif happy to hear that it's back in your good books nowadays though haha.

(also I can't believe how different Robyn's music used to be!!)

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th February 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #86
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I like the whole top 10 here actually, good picks. particularly Sunchyme - great to see that at #1, one of the best dance songs of the 90s.
You're Not Alone another choon. I also knew it from the Tinchy Stryder version first but that has dated badly whilst the original still sounds great.
Spice Up Your Life is one of the girls best, the Oasis song isn't but it's grown on me from having lots of Radio X airplay (my parents like to have it on).
Circles was a great find too, amazed it went that high in the chart although it was a lot easier in that climate.
Angels has suffered a bit from overplay over the years but it's a classic and would probably feature in my top 40 too.
Samba De Janeiro is a bit of a tune as well, the obvious comparison is Carnaval De Paris but I prefer Samba.
Men In Black was #1 on my birthday, not a bad song to be born to really but not one of my absolute faves of the era.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th February 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #87
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(danG @ Feb 16 2019, 10:49 PM) *
I like the whole top 10 here actually, good picks. particularly Sunchyme - great to see that at #1, one of the best dance songs of the 90s.
You're Not Alone another choon. I also knew it from the Tinchy Stryder version first but that has dated badly whilst the original still sounds great.
Spice Up Your Life is one of the girls best, the Oasis song isn't but it's grown on me from having lots of Radio X airplay (my parents like to have it on).
Circles was a great find too, amazed it went that high in the chart although it was a lot easier in that climate.
Angels has suffered a bit from overplay over the years but it's a classic and would probably feature in my top 40 too.
Samba De Janeiro is a bit of a tune as well, the obvious comparison is Carnaval De Paris but I prefer Samba.
Men In Black was #1 on my birthday, not a bad song to be born to really but not one of my absolute faves of the era.

Ooh a 100% top 10 seal of approval, I like this *.* 'Sunchyme' really is an absolute gem, a huge compliment for both of us to call it one of the best dance songs of the 90s when 90s dance was of such a high standard wub.gif Also, I agree that the Tinchy Stryder version of 'You're Not Alone' has not aged well, just sounds like a 2009 Starz TV fave really laugh.gif on the flip side, I still really enjoy the Naughty Boy version of 'Your Woman'. Your Spice opinions are slaying me in this thread so far *.* and yay for Radio X being good for that, my dad stans it also so I totally feel you laugh.gif

I'm so so happy that I stumbled across 'Circles', it says a lot when it's clambered its way into an all-time top 5 after just one year *.* yeah it's crazy that a D&B (almost) instrumental did that well but if 'Come To Daddy' was top 40 hit then anything was possible tbh laugh.gif 'Angels' definitely feels like Robbie's most overplayed song but it hasn't actually hindered my enjoyment of it at all, which is surprising as I feel like I complain about overplay a lot haha. A total classic indeed <3 Robbie may or may not have more to come for 1998 also ohmy.gif and yeah, as much as I love 'Sunchyme' I'm definitely team Samba De Janeiro as well when it comes to that vs. Carnaval De Paris, soz Dario G tongue.gif and oh my, what an iconic birthday #1 *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th February 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #88
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Dario G is a fantastic choice for #1 heart.gif one of the ultimate examples of songs I knew for ages before knowing what they actually were and being unable to figure out what they are because of not having any searchable lyrics haha. (And a 2 for 1 because I knew the original song it sampled as well, also without knowing what it was).

A little surprised at this Oasis song being so high actually, I didn't know you held that song in such high regard! Tis a good song but not exactly one of my biggest favourites from them. Olive and Adam F both great (Jadekissedonia impakt getting the latter as high as top 5, oh my) and yasss for The Chemical Brothers, Will Smith and King Robbie (community award when) in the top 10 as well!

White Town is probably my least fave song in this entire top 40 oops (sacrilege opinion probably I know but I just find it so boring in comparison to the Naughty Boy/Wiley version which I heard first). (edit: actually it's probably better than 'Too Much' I guess but still not something I'd ever listen to xx)

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th February 2019, 10:20 PM
Post #89
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I was OBSESSED with Samba de Janeiro for a good year after I stumbled across it on a NOW album, great to see it here! Sunchyme is a great choice of #1 as well, such a melodic dance track!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 20th February 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #90
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Bré @ Feb 17 2019, 06:10 PM) *
Dario G is a fantastic choice for #1 heart.gif one of the ultimate examples of songs I knew for ages before knowing what they actually were and being unable to figure out what they are because of not having any searchable lyrics haha. (And a 2 for 1 because I knew the original song it sampled as well, also without knowing what it was).

A little surprised at this Oasis song being so high actually, I didn't know you held that song in such high regard! Tis a good song but not exactly one of my biggest favourites from them. Olive and Adam F both great (Jadekissedonia impakt getting the latter as high as top 5, oh my) and yasss for The Chemical Brothers, Will Smith and King Robbie (community award when) in the top 10 as well!

White Town is probably my least fave song in this entire top 40 oops (sacrilege opinion probably I know but I just find it so boring in comparison to the Naughty Boy/Wiley version which I heard first). (edit: actually it's probably better than 'Too Much' I guess but still not something I'd ever listen to xx)

I thought you might approve of this #1, yay heart.gif a cracking start to those if I say so myself. Haha I see, I guess a lot of people must just think of it as that "hey ma ma ma" song laugh.gif and probably get pushed in the direction of the Black Eyed Peas or David Guetta song lol. I ashamedly had never heard the original of it until a couple of years ago! Oh my at that 2 for 1 x

Oh yes I've always been a huge fan of 'D'You Know What I Mean?', perhaps I haven't shown my love for it on the board very much ohmy.gif fair enough, they do have hoard of classiques to choose from I suppose. We love Jadekissedonia impakt <3 Adam F truly smashing it here in such a short space of time. OMG THIS at community award, needs to happen ASAP.

I had remembered this opinion of yours sleep.gif unacceptable tbh!! But fair enough, that's like what happened to me with 'Don't Let Go (Love)', I heard the Little Mix performance before the original so the latter always feels like it lacks the same oomph. Poor brave 'Too Much' also xx

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Feb 20 2019, 10:20 PM) *
I was OBSESSED with Samba de Janeiro for a good year after I stumbled across it on a NOW album, great to see it here! Sunchyme is a great choice of #1 as well, such a melodic dance track!

Oh YES Pete I'm so here for any Bellini love, what a banger wub.gif God bless the Now albums. Why thank you, it is incredibly melodic and especially so for a song with barely any lyrics haha.

~

Oops sorry that this has been put on hold a bit, just struggling to find an appropriate moment where I'm feeling fit to write this up atm as I've had a pretty sleep deprived week so far. Hopefully the first section of 1998 will be up in the next couple of days x

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 21st February 2019, 12:03 AM
Post #91
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

So many gems in this 1997 countdown. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 22nd February 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #92
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Feb 21 2019, 12:03 AM) *
So many gems in this 1997 countdown. heart.gif

Yay thanks Dalek! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd February 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #93
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Sorry for not commenting up until now, but excellent choice of leader for '97, I think that would be my number 1 too *. Was one of the first 90s songs I really got into and it's always so joyous and puts me in a great mood, and I love the video too. I really rediscovered Life in a Northern Town this year too, the song it sampled, and it really is quite melancholy in comparison. Just goes to show how much a piece of music can be interpreted. White Town, Chemical Brothers, Robbie and Spice Girls are also great additions in the top 10, I usually join you in stanning Oasis, but I was never that keen on this one sad.gif Just goes on a bit too long and doesn't go anywhere, a common problem with their songs from this album.

This would (roughly) be my top 10 of 1997:

01. Dario G - Sunchyme
02. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
03. Daft Punk - Around the World
04. Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
05. Chumbawumba - Tubthumping
06. Sash! - Encore Une Fois
07. Blur - Song 2
08. Robbie Williams - Angels
09. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
10. Spice Girls - Who Do You Think You Are

A lot of crossover here (omg I'm such a mainstream whore this year) *.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 22nd February 2019, 09:35 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 22 2019, 09:24 PM) *
Sorry for not commenting up until now, but excellent choice of leader for '97, I think that would be my number 1 too *. Was one of the first 90s songs I really got into and it's always so joyous and puts me in a great mood, and I love the video too. I really rediscovered Life in a Northern Town this year too, the song it sampled, and it really is quite melancholy in comparison. Just goes to show how much a piece of music can be interpreted. White Town, Chemical Brothers, Robbie and Spice Girls are also great additions in the top 10, I usually join you in stanning Oasis, but I was never that keen on this one sad.gif Just goes on a bit too long and doesn't go anywhere, a common problem with their songs from this album.

This would (roughly) be my top 10 of 1997:

01. Dario G - Sunchyme
02. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
03. Daft Punk - Around the World
04. Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
05. Chumbawumba - Tubthumping
06. Sash! - Encore Une Fois
07. Blur - Song 2
08. Robbie Williams - Angels
09. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
10. Spice Girls - Who Do You Think You Are

A lot of crossover here (omg I'm such a mainstream whore this year) *.

Hey Chez hi.gif heart.gif

That's quite alright, a few of you have ended up commenting after I've posted the entire year which makes sense with there being more to talk about at once. Us sharing the same #1 is incredible, our crossover knows no bounds *.* it truly flipped the (lovely!) original on its head and turned it into the life-changing euphoric dance classic that we know and love. Great to see the entirety of your top 10 in my top 40 also, minus 'Torn', obviously because Ablisa cancelled Natalie xo nah in all seriousness that's a pretty solid song but not quite a massive fave. 'Who Do You Think You Are' is a welcome surprise in that line-up, don't think I knew you were a fan *.*

Ah I was actually wondering if you'd said you disliked 'D'You Know What I Mean?' before but I wasn't sure if I was confusing it for 'Go Let It Out'. That's a shame, although I of course agree with your sentiment concerning the album on the whole, the constant bloated songs were too much. This one was always a huge highlight to take away from it for me though at least <3

So mainstream oh my!!!! kink.gif speaking of which... I'm currently writing my first section of 1998 and there's a #1 in there, oh my x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 22nd February 2019, 10:14 PM
Post #95
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Right let's get back into it and kick off a new year! *.* 1998 saw Geri leaving the Spice Girls, Madonna releasing her iconic 'Ray Of Light' album and Elton John becoming knighted. Also I turned one and my younger brother Ryan was brought into the world on 7th August, granting him an amazing birthday #1 that will definitely be making an appearance here.

40. Lucid - I Can't Help Myself
(chart-run: 7-13-20-26-37-46-56-64)

39. The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
(chart-run: 14-19-15-29-26-27-26-33-39-42-53-56-53-57-47-57-66-74)

38. Aqua - Turn Back Time
(chart-run: 1-3-7-14-20-27-37-43-62-68)

37. Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank
(chart-run: 6-12-15-21-27-31-35-44-56-73)

36. Faith Evans - Love Like This
(chart-run: 24-40-47-64)

Lucid just about creeps into this top 40 after I had to cut a LOT of songs out. Yes, 1998 may have been full of meandering R&B ballads that no-one asked for, but there was so much goodness in amongst all of those. 'I Can't Help Myself' is a wonderfully euphoric trance song. The vocalist has a lovely emotive tone that hits you just right as the drop is about to arrive. Then suddenly a wave of huge trance beats attack the song. What a drop. The song progresses from intense to joyful in a matter of moments as it switches from vocals to instrumental. This wouldn't sound that out of place in Sash!'s discography really. The follow-up, 'Crazy', is rather great too. Next up at #39 is a switch in sound with 'My Favourite Game'. Or should I say THAT advert song that I would not discover the actual name of for years, oops. I was shook when I heard the famous production accompanied by Nina's vocals for the first time. I just thought hey it's that woman from 'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough'! That really gives away my youthful years doesn't it? Oops. But yeah, it took me years to hear 'Lovefool' for the first time as well, I think I was somehow introduced to the Justin Bieber version first. I was then once again rather perplexed when I discovered that this was not a top 10 hit, what! Everything about this is so memorable. The alternative rock riff is exhilarating, the switch between fast verses to a soft bridge is a genius juxtaposition for creating tension AND the video is a spectacle, as Jonas Åkerlund often likes to deliver. The video actually has several alternative endings and would often be heavily censored, if not banned, on music channels due to fear that it was glamourising dangerous driving. Now at #38 we have an entirely different vibe once again! But perhaps not the vibe you'd immediately think of when seeing the name Aqua. The Danish group carved a rather cheesy bubblegum pop sound for themselves with the likes of 'Barbie Girl' and 'Doctor Jones'. But this was a rather impressive switch-up for them which showed some versatility. 'Turn Back Time' was yet another smash from their debut album here in the UK, a third #1 in a row. It was also featured in the movie 'Sliding Doors'. The song is a serious ballad from them which features a rather beautiful and vulnerable vocal performance from female vocalist Lene. It's, unsurprisingly, a reflective song that tugs on the heart strings. I definitely have a soft spot for it.

Once again I'm going to switch things up as we go from ballad to dance banger! As it's time for a bit of 'The Rockafeller Skank' at #37. This big beat song was Fatboy Slim's first top 10 hit in the United Kingdom. Good thing it wasn't his last, as this song features many samples and to get them approved he had to split all the royalties between the other artists. So he got nada. The most memorable parts of the song for me would have to be the irresistibly catchy "funk soul brother" hook throughout it, plus the weird but wonderful part where things grind to a halt and get a lil wild - imagine that being played on the radio now?! The surf guitar is also a rather cool element. A fabulous, bold song full of many sonic layers. Now let's finish off a diverse section with some R&B. This is the R&B of the 1990s that I do enjoy! Faith Evans decided to sample Chic's 'Chic Cheer' and in turn her own song here was heavily sampled by Fatman Scoop for 'Be Faithful'. I admittedly heard that version before this for sure. That was a #1 after all and this only managed #24 here. But hey, it was top 10 on the Billboard chart and received a Grammy nomination. I love the mix of old school disco production with her content but smooth delivery. I do like 'Be Faithful' a lot but this is a way better experience when you want chilled out music, as "50 DOLLAR BILL!!!!!!" and whatnot is not being shouted over it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 23rd February 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #96
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Some brilliant choices already for 1998, personal faves so far being “My Favourite Game” - just look at the chart run *.* - and “I Can't Help Myself” which is a trance CLASSIC.

Incidentally “The Rockafeller Skank” had a radio edit that took much of that mad bit out Jade so the bit you refer to didn't get played on the radio.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 23rd February 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #97
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Feb 23 2019, 08:13 PM) *
Some brilliant choices already for 1998, personal faves so far being “My Favourite Game” - just look at the chart run *.* - and “I Can't Help Myself” which is a trance CLASSIC.

Incidentally “The Rockafeller Skank” had a radio edit that took much of that mad bit out Jade so the bit you refer to didn't get played on the radio.

Yay thanks Doctor Blind *.* indeed, The Cardigans may not have peaked as high as I would've expected but that is a rather cool chart run. 'I Can't Help Myself' is a stunner, probably one of those songs that would sound familiar to people but they might not be able to name the artist, I don't think poor brave Lucid even has a Wikipedia page.

Ahhhh that makes so much sense as I did think that might be a bit off-putting to the casual listener laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th February 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #98
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Great start to your 1998 countdown so far with those five, will comment more in depth later.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 27th February 2019, 03:20 PM
Post #99
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

From the Top10 of 1997, sorry only just got around to this:

01. Dario G - Sunchyme Fantastic #1 this
02. Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life An unashamedly pop classic from them.
03. Oasis - D'You Know What I Mean? Shame bands didn't make things like this anymore
04. Olive - You're Not Alone Prefer this to the original to 'Never Be Your Woman' and the inferior Tinchy Stryder version.
05. Adam F - Circles Fantastic drum and bass track from back in the day.
06. White Town - Your Woman An ultimate one hit wonder this
07. The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats- Great tune this from The Chemical Brothers, never tire of listening to this. I think the actor who plays Billy Mitchell in EastEnders is in the music video is one of the coppers if I'm not mistaken
08. Will Smith - Men In Black- One of my favourite songs of that year, it is quite an masterpiece this.
09. Bellini - Samba De Janeiro- Great choice this, tend to listen to it when it comes to the World Cup, European Football Championships. I see this as some sort of football anthem, although I know it isn't intended to be that way.
10. Robbie Williams - Angels- Absolute classic this from him, one of the best songs he did.

Great Top40 of 1997, Jade.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 28th February 2019, 09:35 PM
Post #100
Group icon
Alone and wounded

^ Thanks Mack for all of those positive comments, it's so cool that you enjoy listening to the entirety of that top 10 wub.gif somehow did not clock that Billy Mitchell was in the Chem Bros video?! Need to re-watch that now laugh.gif have not forgotten about this btw, things are just so busy :'( hope to resume soon <3

+Quote this post

29 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:30 PM