BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The future of Greatest Hits sets, Is there one?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dircadirca
post Feb 4 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
QUOTE(JosephSivan @ Feb 4 2018, 07:28 PM) *
I guess in the age of playlists there isn't much need for GH albums, but I still enjoy listening to them myself and they're always the first port of call if I delve into the back catalogue of a hugely successful artist. It's so easy to make your own though, I've made a lil Rita Ora greatest hits album (lmao after a whopping one studio album x) through a Spotify playlist and it works just as well!

Never stopped record companies from squeezing every last dollar out of the 1 album long legacy of the Sex Pistols laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Dircadirca: Feb 4 2018, 12:50 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post Feb 5 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
QUOTE(Bjork @ Feb 4 2018, 09:20 AM) *
Rihanna has already too many hits to fit them in 1 CD biggrin.gif same for Coldplay

Isn't that a good thing? That means they restrict it to the best 80 minutes of their singles output. That makes it an astonishing collection. Like Girls Aloud's Ten.

This post has been edited by Colm: Feb 5 2018, 11:25 AM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 5 2018, 11:19 AM
Post #23
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
The opposite being Scouting For Girls who inexplicably managed to release a Greatest Hits despite only having about 9 !

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Feb 5 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
I wish Alicia Keys would release a GH too, about time!

+Quote this post
Brer
post Feb 5 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #25
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Feb 5 2018, 11:19 AM) *
The opposite being Scouting For Girls who inexplicably managed to release a Greatest Hits despite only having about 9 !

They even released a second 'Very Best Of' album in 2017 (although it was only half hits, essentially all the same ones as that GH album, and half new songs).

The best premature Greatest Hits album will always of course be the one by Sandi Thom.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Feb 6 2018, 03:38 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I think there is still a market for greatest hits. Artists like Coldplay who have a substantial back catalogue and appeal to a wide variety of age groups would probably sell a substantial amount - but some artists release them too quickly and with little new material such as Anastacia and Nelly Furtado to name a few and these don’t sell well as they are often seen as quick cash ins by the record company with little incentive to buy. In the age of streaming, record companies need to be far more creative than ever before to encourage the public to spend £10-£12 on an album they probably already own 80-90% of the tracks. Sophie Ellis Bextor is a good example of an artist who is releasing a collection of orchestra reworked hits which given the right promotion might actually be successful!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Feb 6 2018, 03:56 AM
Post #27
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I think a lot of artists consider “Greatest Hits” albums to be either huge cash ins for little reason or a bit of a career closer. I know that AC/DC refused to create a GH album with their label because it often meant like a bands career was over once they made one. Obviously it depends greatly on who and when the GH is released, but it wouldn’t surprise me if some big modern day artists had the same logic

+Quote this post
Drpepper
post Feb 6 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 896
On a sort of waffling related note...GH sales have always bugged me due to different but very similar versions on multiple releases eg Take That is an example, but it's probably the same for other artists...

I believe Take That are releasing a GH soon - probably for the end of the year and possibly with new tracks.

I'd prefer this to be solely from Patience onwards as there is already the original GH from the 90s and then Never Forget from the 00's.

It's interesting that the track listing on Never Forget is almost identical to the original GH, a bit like a special edition really, and if both those TT greatest hits sales were combined as they're essentially the same thing, then I think TT GH would become one of the best selling albums in the UK - possibly top 10?

And if the record company packages the new GH up with Never Forget and/or the original GH like the Queen GH 1, 2 and 3 bundle which records individual sales of each item, and if GH and Never Forget sales were combined, then the sales ranking of TT GH would be more reflective of actual sales.

+Quote this post
Lomadz
post Feb 6 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,274
With new tracks on a greatest hits big artists can still sell.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post Feb 7 2018, 02:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
QUOTE(T Boy @ Feb 3 2018, 03:34 PM) *
Greatest Hits collections may not be massive hits anymore but they are clearly still steady sellers since the chart is populated with them. Oasis, Eminem, RHCP and many others are often staples of the top 100 with artists like Pink, the Killers and Maroon 5 re-enter often when they release new material.

I believe the success of those best ofs are largely down to streams though

+Quote this post
tommie
post Feb 8 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
I'm sure record labels would benefit to officially throwing greatest hits sets officially on downloads/streaming instead of random playlists as it still gives artists presence in the charts, plus I'm sure it would still be the go-to to anyone curious about an artist on streaming.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Feb 13 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Diamonds by Elton John is doing very well both sides of the Atlantic (top 50 in the US still as well)

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Feb 13 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
but he had big big promo, a tv special or something

I think one of the earliest GH was All Saints, released right after album 2, 10 tracks, still made the top 20

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:55 AM