BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Not sure if this question has been asked before...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 7th November 2019, 09:50 AM
Post #21
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

It was probably 2004 when I first listened to the chart though I wasn't religiously following it back then.
I then moved to Australia in mid-late 2005 where they had their chart rundown on TV on a Saturday morning which I watched every week, though annoyingly a year later they replaced it with just music videos with no chart.
Moved back to the UK four years later and started getting interested in the chart again after reading about the Rage vs Joe chart battle.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 7th November 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

I think I started getting into music in early '94, renting tapes (mostly dance compilations from 92/93) but it was the day I got my own hi-fi one Sunday in September my Dad suggested I listened to "the charts". I had caught glimpses of Top of the Pops but I didn't know what the charts was. He explained it's just a show where they songs that have sold the most that week.. so I tuned in and was hooked straight away!

"Who was #1 then" "Someone called Wingfield I think" "Never heard of her" biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 7th November 2019, 12:50 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Nov 7 2019, 09:33 AM) *
I often followed them of the BBC website back when they updated the positions live

That was a great feature, I don't know why the BBC stopped doing that.

+Quote this post
LouisL
post 7th November 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 42,419

I remember knowing Just Dance was #1 and a position of a few other songs at the time but it was probably a few weeks after that I properly started listening and keeping up with them, like Poker Face time

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th November 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #25
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

while I'd definitely heard it before this in the car or something, first time I remember listening to the chart show as a whole thing and caring who finished where was 2010, possibly Olly Murs 'Please Don't Let Me Go' was #1, or something around that August/September period.

basically I wasn't a natural chart geek until later into my teens

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 7th November 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

Can't remember exactly - too long ago. smile.gif

Probably some time in 1976.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 7th November 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Early 2000, I think around the point when Gabrielle's 'Rise' was #1.

+Quote this post
Gambo
post 7th November 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106

I regard myself as fortunate in having been exposed to pop music on radio at a very early age, initially through my parents, and so chances are the first chart (or part of one) I would've heard would've been 1979 or '80, but although I'm blessed with a very good memory, I was too young to really engage with all the detail at that point. However, after my parents finally modernised and bought a new hi-fi in July 1981 (one of those silver things in a cabinet with record deck, radio, single cassette deck, recording level needles, a storage space for your vinyl underneath and a glass door!), my Mum suggested that I should listen to the charts on Sunday afternoons, given my obvious interest, and the improved capacity to record from the radio in better quality. So I strapped on some ludicrously large headphones and knelt in front of the stereo, poised to record the songs I liked from the Radio 1 Top 40 show onto a nice new TDK C-90, making as sure as possible to push 'pause' before Tony Blackburn blundered in! Not sure of the exact week, but likely Sunday 19th July. There were some corkers charting at that point, and I still feel very fondly about 1980s chart music for all its faults. I'm grateful I got with it a fair sight sooner than many of my peers did. To a greater or lesser degree I've followed the singles chart since, although my religious/regular Top 40 listening only lasted until the late 1990s, when I started falling-out of love with a lot of what passed for pop, and the sheer turnover of the chart with only new entries and downward movements made me lose interest in trying to keep pace with it. I dipped-in frequently to the show in the 2000s, but with so few singles I buy (yes, BUY!) ever making the Top 100 let-alone 40 nowadays, and it now being broadcast on a Friday, the recent 2010s has seen far less direct engagement, and I think I'm more-or-less done with it as a broadcast.

I tend to follow the official charts now more from a wider interest in the music market and how it develops, for better or worse, not so much the tracks that populate it, though sadly, the ongoing skew that streaming has introduced and the messy rules now applied by the OCC are only serving to reduce that interest!

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 7th November 2019, 06:06 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

It’ll have been Winter 1996. My brother had gotten into listening to the chart and we used to have it on during our tea on a Sunday night.

The first one I purposefully listened to the entire countdown of would probably have been during Summer 97.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 7th November 2019, 06:14 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

For me I think it was around 2003 when I become obsessed.

Girls Aloud were in their debut era, Mutya was still in the Sugababes and Xtina was in her stripped era.

I remember the chart when Fighter peaked at #3. I’ve followed it from a real young age I miss the days of the Sunday’s chart so much I have so many memories of it. The earliest memory I have is the chart Lady Marmalade went to #1 though.. I’m pretty sure my sister and I both got CDs that week she got that Where You’ll Be song (which I now love) and I got Lady Maramalade I was so happy when it got #1 laugh.gif
Back then too I was always in suspense as iTunes wasn’t really around and I had no idea of midweeks.

I’ll never forget some chart battles though. R Kelly blocking S Clubs Say Goodbye laugh.gif

I didn’t realise midweek charts were a thing until 2009 though. It was the week where The Saturdays were about to get their first number one with Just Can’t Get Enough but they ended up just missing out (by Flo-Rida wasn’t it and the same thing would then happen again laugh.gif laugh.gif . Every week since though I’ve checked the midweeks at least once per week.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 02:42 PM