BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Riser Recaps (EOY) 2020, FINISHED!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 1st January 2021, 10:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

It was indeed a dumpster fire in many ways, but all things considered, I really enjoyed the music that was released / popular in 2020! I've finally made some progress ranking my faves and hope to begin revealing them in the next few days. I've got a top 62 right now, subject to any last-minute additions, and while I'm not sure how much commentary I'll do, at least the songs can speak for themselves. Also, in my usual indecisive fashion, I've yet to pick my #1 of the year ohmy.gif So you'll find out just about as soon as I do! Let's gooooo!

Edit: Or, now that I'm done, just peep the list in spoiler tags here:
1. The Weeknd "Heartless"
2. Doja Cat "Boss Bitch"
3. Becky Hill feat. Shift K3y "Better Off Without You"
4. The Weeknd "Blinding Lights"
5. Trevor Daniel "Falling"
6. Lady Gaga "Stupid Love"
7. Dua Lipa "Physical"
8. Luke Combs "Even Though I’m Leaving"
9. Miranda Lambert "Bluebird"
10. Sam Smith "Diamonds"
11. Miley Cyrus "Midnight Sky"
12. Justin Bieber feat. Quavo "Intentions"
13. Chris Brown feat. Young Thug "Go Crazy"
14. Little Mix "Sweet Melody"
15. Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver "Exile"
16. 5 Seconds Of Summer "Old Me"
17. Doja Cat "Say So"
18. Lil Mosey "Blueberry Faygo"
19. Taylor Swift "The Man"
20. Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande "Rain On Me"
21. DaBaby feat. Roddy Ricch "Rockstar"
22. Ariana Grande "Positions"
23. Powfu feat. Beabadoobee "Death Bed"
24. Dua Lipa feat. DaBaby "Levitating"
25. Internet Money feat. Don Toliver, Gunna & Nav "Lemonade"
26. 24kgoldn feat. Iann Dior "Mood"
27. Roddy Ricch "The Box"
28. Jason Aldean "Got What I Got"
29. Kari Jobe, Cody Carnes & Elevation Worship "The Blessing"
30. Overcoats "Fire & Fury"
31. Morgan Wallen "Chasin’ You"
32. Billie Eilish "Everything I Wanted"
33. Dua Lipa "Hallucinate"
34. Saint Jhn "Roses (Imanbek Remix)"
35. Ava Max "Kings & Queens"
36. Justin Bieber "Yummy"
37. BTS "Dynamite"
38. Taylor Swift "Cardigan"
39. Harry Styles "Golden"
40. Franky Wah "Come Together"
41. Trevor Daniel & Selena Gomez "Past Life"
42. Tate McRae "You Broke Me First"
43. Arizona Zervas "Roxanne"
44. Surf Mesa feat. Emilee "Ily (I Love You Baby)"
45. Harry Styles "Watermelon Sugar"
46. Billie Eilish "My Future"
47. Maroon 5 "Nobody’s Love"
48. PS1 feat. Alex Hosking "Fake Friends"
49. Troye Sivan "Take Yourself Home"
50. The Weeknd "In Your Eyes"
51. Regard & Raye "Secrets"
52. Camila Cabello feat. DaBaby "My Oh My"
53. Katy Perry "Daisies"
54. Mabel "Boyfriend"
55. Joel Corry feat. MNEK "Head & Heart"
56. Paul Woolford, Diplo & Kareen Lomax "Looking For Me"
57. Six60 "Sundown"
58. P!nk feat. Chris Stapleton "Love Me Anyway"
59. Lauv "Modern Loneliness"
60. Benee feat. Gus Dapperton "Supalonely"
61. Sam Smith "To Die For"
62. Brando "Look Into My Eyes"
63. Chris Stapleton "Starting Over"
64. Aitch & AJ Tracey feat. Tay Keith "Rain"
65. Rudimental feat. Anne-Marie & Tion Wayne "Come Over"
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post 1st January 2021, 10:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

EXCITED cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 2nd January 2021, 12:44 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Looking forward to seeing what shows up here Jordan biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 2nd January 2021, 12:46 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Looking forward to it!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 2nd January 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Looking forward to this! Interested to see what will pop up this year.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th January 2021, 10:16 PM
Post #6
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Can't wait for this!!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 13th January 2021, 10:03 PM
Post #7
Group icon

65. Rudimental feat. Anne-Marie & Tion Wayne "Come Over"
Five years after the beautiful 'Rumour Mill’' Rudimental and Anne-Marie mark the occasion with another brilliant collab. It was a deserved reversal of chart fortunes for both artists, especially since 'Let Me Live' just barely missed the top 40, and I’m sure many would say a much-needed reversal of quality too. tongue.gif Honorable mentions go to Anne-Marie’s 'Birthday', which I thoroughly enjoyed, as well as Tion Wayne’s unexpected earworm 'I Dunno'!

64. Aitch & AJ Tracey feat. Tay Keith "Rain"
Speaking of unexpected earworms, AJ Tracey gave us plenty of those last year. While many probably preferred the 90s dance sample in 'Dinner Guest' or the garage vibes of 'West Ten', it was 'Rain' that had me hooked the most. Great verses and beat!

63. Chris Stapleton "Starting Over"

Country’s critical darling Chris Stapleton is not necessarily a fave of mine, but there’s no denying his talent. 'Starting Over' is the lead single of a new album and won me over right away, both lyrically and melodically, with one of the best choruses I’ve heard in a while. Definitely would’ve been higher had I not got into it so late in the year. Luckily for Chris, he has one more appearance in this very section.

62. Brando "Look Into My Eyes"

I think I’m firmly in favor of this dance covers trend, after loving every single one that charted last year. If you haven’t heard this one, it’s a cover of Charles & Eddie’s 'Would I Lie To You?' and was a hit only in Australia (despite Brando being Canadian). In fact, it was apparently the most-played song on Australian radio for most of their winter, for no legitimate reason, because its sales and streaming only got it to #24 in their chart. Nevertheless, I jammed to it, and there will be at least one more of these covers later on!

61. Sam Smith "To Die For"
Prior to 2020, the last time a song title referencing death was in the top 40 was 'Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead' in 2013, and before that 'Die Young' in 2012. So it was the most bizarre of coincidences that the month of March had not one, not two, but THREE such songs charting all at once, just as a global pandemic was being declared. unsure.gif 'To Die For' was an unfortunate casualty (sorry pirate.gif) of this with its promo cut short and a new single pushed ahead of schedule. While it’s not Sam’s strongest ballad, I really enjoyed their vocal performance, listened quite a bit and felt bad that the timing of its release was so unlucky. I will say though that the video was a major disappointment, and I don’t think it would have charted any higher even if the circumstances were normal!
Previous EOY history: "Latch" (#11, 2014), "Money On My Mind" (#38, 2014), "I’m Not The Only One" (#39, 2014), "Too Good At Goodbyes" (#31, 2017), "How Do You Sleep?" (#1, 2019)

60. Benee feat. Gus Dapperton "Supalonely"
Having already sent one of her songs to BJSC, Benee was no stranger to my chart, having already appeared with three songs in 2019 plus earlier in 2020 with 'Glitter'. Witnessing her global breakthrough with 'Supalonely' was pretty surreal and a nice reminder of when her fellow Kiwi Lorde did it in 2013. Even with that TikTok exposure, the song only peaked at #2 in her homeland, stuck behind 'Blinding Lights' of course. Hopefully she’ll get another chance!

59. Lauv "Modern Loneliness"

Another song about loneliness – I promise it won’t be an ongoing theme, but you’d be forgiven for thinking otherwise in 2020 of all years. Actually, I strongly related to the lyrics here even without the context of social distancing (I’m sure many others did too); the chorus especially struck a chord! I was already somewhat of a fan, but 'Modern Loneliness' gave me much more appreciation for Lauv as an artist heart.gif
Previous EOY history: "I’m So Tired…" (#16, 2019)

58. P!nk feat. Chris Stapleton "Love Me Anyway"

Somewhat inexplicably, 'Love Me Anyway' is P!nk’s highest-charting song in the Buzzjack era of my chart! She had a handful of #1s before I started posting here, but since then I think her best was #4 for 'Walk Me Home'. I spent most of January 2020 listening to a new radio station that happened to have 'Love Me Anyway' on high rotation, and it grew on me enough to chart at #3. What can I say, their voices are lovely together!
Previous EOY history for P!nk: "What About Us" (#63, 2017), "Beautiful Trauma" (#41, 2018)

57. Six60 "Sundown"

The second and final New Zealand song in my EOY is courtesy of their most popular artist, Six60. I’ve been a fan for the past decade but this is their first time in my EOY! I first heard 'Sundown' in October and it sounded like a final taste of summer weather, now appropriately a top-10 hit in NZ in the middle of their summer. (Six60 seems entirely unknown on here so if there are any other silent fans out there I’d love to know!)

56. Paul Woolford, Diplo & Kareen Lomax "Looking For Me"
Another end-of-summer song here. It was easy to root for 'Looking For Me'; its popularity seemed entirely organic, and it stood out from other dance hits by simply not being a cover! kink.gif Jokes aside, this was a brilliant collab and a definite sign of taste in the UK charts!

55. Joel Corry feat. MNEK "Head & Heart"
For the first few weeks, 'Head & Heart' sounded so good and it felt like such a triumph to see its quick ascent to #1! I was surprised at how quickly I got bored of it, especially since it wasn’t even overplayed here. So I didn’t mind that it never took off in America, despite seeming poised to do so. That said, it earns its place here just from when I was blasting it at full volume. Always good to have a song like that to define the summer, and Joel is well overdue for a new single so I look forward to hearing that and seeing how it performs.
Previous EOY history for MNEK: "Never Forget You" (#22, 2016)

54. Mabel "Boyfriend"
Congrats Mabel on her fourth consecutive EOY appearance! It appears that I like exactly one song of hers each year. kink.gif 'Boyfriend' was guaranteed some flack for being a relatively basic pop song, but I’ll gladly defend it. At the very least it has more personality than 'Mad Love', but I’m also a fan of the production and think it’s a solid effort overall.
Previous EOY history: "Finders Keepers" (#56, 2017), "Fine Line" (#12, 2018), "Don’t Call Me Up" (#4, 2019)

53. Katy Perry "Daisies"
Sonically 'Daisies' is very reminiscent of 'Unconditionally', which I’m always here for! It also reminds me of 'Catch My Breath' by Kelly Clarkson and makes me wish this was a lead single for a Katy Perry greatest hits album, not that those are a thing anymore. Honestly, at this point I’m savoring every time I hear a new Katy song on the radio and crossing my fingers that it won’t be the last!
Previous EOY history: "Dark Horse" (#16, 2014), "This Is How We Do" (#21, 2014), "Bon Appetit" (#7, 2017), "Chained To The Rhythm" (#52, 2017), "Never Really Over" (#7, 2019)

52. Camila Cabello feat. DaBaby "My Oh My"
I personally enjoyed everything I’ve heard from Camila’s second album and feel bad that they all performed so unremarkably, with this being the one exception. While 'Liar' is now my favorite song she’s ever done, 'My Oh My' also grew on me from its strong airplay, and I dread to think how much worse the era would have performed without it. drama.gif
Previous EOY history for Camila: "Crying In The Club" (#37, 2017), "Havana" (#50, 2017), "Liar" (#19, 2019)

51. Regard & Raye "Secrets"
Sometimes when these random producers get a surprise hit, it’s more fun (for me anyway) to watch the follow-up single and see if they can strike gold twice. In Regard’s case that is a resounding yes! He didn’t stray too far from the sound of 'Ride It', but the female vocal on 'Secrets' sets it apart, and Raye was a great choice for it. I’d love to hear another single and thought a new one would have been pushed by now…

+Quote this post
Calum
post 16th January 2021, 02:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad

Hey Jordan!

A lot of great songs in that section already! Completely agree with your commentary on Modern Loneliness too, the song is so special/emotional even without the effects of COVID brought into the equation. heart.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 16th January 2021, 07:36 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Listening to Sundown now, quite enjoying it, that drum beat is nice although I'm sure I've heard that riff before - is it featured in another song somewhere?

Some of the best charting tracks of the year in this section in Looking For Me and Head & Heart, Boyfriend/Supalonely/Rain aren't too bad either!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 16th January 2021, 07:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837

My fave here is definitely Mabel's "Boyfriend" which was super catchy and had a great instrumental! Some others that I like here are "Head & Heart", "Supalonely" and "To Die For"! Look forward to seeing what's coming next.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 16th January 2021, 10:41 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Rob aah

'Head and Heart' is a jam. Not a massive fan of 'Looking For Me', it's decent but nothing exciting imo. I think I've heard that Pink track. Wasn't it in the rate of her songs last year? I think it was nice but not totally sure lol.

Wasn't keen on Katy's material last year either but it feels weird to see not to see her as the chart force she once was all the same!

This post has been edited by Rob S: 17th January 2021, 03:00 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th January 2021, 02:43 PM
Post #12
Group icon

My Oh My was definitely my standout from Romance, such an obvious single choice and crazy to think it almost wasn't on the album!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 20th January 2021, 10:03 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Thanks everyone biggrin.gif Pete - the riff sounds vaguely familiar but I'm not aware of it being a sample or anything like that!

50. The Weeknd "In Your Eyes"
No surprises here, The Weeknd and an 80s-sounding song are a winning combination. There are more of his songs to come so I’ll save some commentary for later, but that sax solo alone was such a highlight from the year. wub.gif As for the charts, I suppose something had to follow up 'Blinding Lights' and be completely overshadowed as a result; it deserved so much more but still had a decent enough run.
Previous EOY history: "I Feel It Coming" (#2, 2017 and #29, 2016), "Pray For Me" (#14, 2018), "Power Is Power" (#40, 2019)

49. Troye Sivan "Take Yourself Home"

Troye continues to impress me with his artistic vision and talent, and his songs always have such dreamy production! Even as his music evolves he hasn’t lost that quality, and 'Take Yourself Home' was my favorite one that I listened to last year. He didn’t have to put that weird instrumental breakdown at the end but I’m so glad he did, it’s the part I look forward to most when I listen. <3
Previous EOY history: "Youth" (#8, 2016), "My My My!" (#37, 2018), "1999" (#53, 2018), "I’m So Tired…" (#16, 2019)

48. PS1 feat. Alex Hosking "Fake Friends"
Even though I have a separate EOY chart for BJSC, 'Fake Friends' took on a second life over the summer when it crossed over to Radio 1 and official hit status, so I had to include it here too! Very reminiscent of 2014 or so when songs like this were everywhere, and top 20 was a pretty impressive result in this chart climate, especially with clubs shut and people mostly jamming to it at home, or so I presume.

47. Maroon 5 "Nobody’s Love"

Inoffensive radio fodder band Maroon 5 continued to release their inoffensive radio fodder in 2020, but in a strange turn of events, it was barely played on the radio ohmy.gif As a result, 'Nobody’s Love' stalled at #41 on the Hot 100 and also missed the top 75 in the UK. Okay, while I’m happy to poke fun at them, I did actually enjoy this song a lot more than their previous two, and perhaps it’s for the best that it wasn’t overplayed to oblivion for a change. They haven’t had an uptempo single in years now, so that’s what I would like to hear if they ever release something else!
Previous EOY history: "Animals" (#6, 2014), "This Summer’s Gonna Hurt Like A Motherf*****" (#10, 2015), "Sugar" (#28, 2015), “Cold” (#20, 2017), "Wait" (#25, 2018)

46. Billie Eilish "My Future"
I loved the jazzy, chilled-out vibe of 'My Future' and thought it mixed well with Billie’s subdued vocals. I also loved the theme and lyrics of the song as they’re full of positive self-affirmations without being just another self-love cliché. Its frontloaded chart performance was a shame and I was afraid it might be the Grammy curse kicking in already, but thankfully that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Previous EOY history: “Bad Guy” (#36, 2019), “Everything I Wanted” (#57, 2019)

45. Harry Styles "Watermelon Sugar"
'Watermelon Sugar' is a bit lower than it should be, because my love for it was split between 2019 and 2020. It was begging for a single release from day one and still managed to exceed everyone’s expectations as a seemingly effortless post-album smash – those are more difficult than ever now and Harry still managed to make it look easy! This was one of the coolest Hot 100 #1s of the year, with the unfortunate downside that I’m quite tired of hearing it now sad.gif
Previous EOY history: “Sign Of The Times” (#64, 2017)

44. Surf Mesa feat. Emilee "Ily (I Love You Baby)"
In this day and age, when the original versions of classic songs are easily accessible online, you’d think there’d be less demand or appeal for covers, but they seem to be as popular as ever. Personally, I’m here for it! Obviously with this one, Emilee’s soft voice leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the likes of Frankie Valli, but like I said earlier, I’m a sucker for these covers, and summertime was perfect for 'ily' to be picked from obscurity. Disagree all you want, but I hope we get more of these this year! biggrin.gif

43. Arizona Zervas "Roxanne"
'Roxanne' is another song that just missed the cut in 2019. It’s not only irresistibly catchy but also a perfect symbol of current pop trends: very short songs and TikTok-fueled popularity. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t end up a one-hit wonder though, having heard a couple of his other songs and finding them quite terrible pirate.gif

42. Tate McRae "You Broke Me First"
I’m a bit tired of typing now so this won’t get the commentary it deserves, although I’ll just say I disagree with the Billie Eilish comparisons and feel that’s much too lazy, and the song is worthy of its success on its own merits. Finally picking up steam in the US and becoming a belated hit here, yay!

41. Trevor Daniel & Selena Gomez "Past Life"

Hearing ‘Past Life’ took me back (no pun intended) to late 2000s pop punk ballads, which is not at all what I expected from a Trevor Daniel/Selena Gomez collab (I hadn’t heard his original solo version), but the end result was more than welcome! wub.gif
Previous EOY history for Selena: "Bad Liar" (#12, 2017), "Lose You To Love Me" (#14, 2019), "Look At Her Now" (#60, 2019)

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 23rd January 2021, 07:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Hearing that riff again I *think* it's similar to the opening of a recent worship song but I can't for the life of me remember which one so I could well be making it up!

In Your Eyes, Secrets and Watermelon Sugar are my favourites from that section, the former reaching the Top 40 (and staying around for quite a while) really was a moment, a brilliant track!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 24th January 2021, 12:15 PM
Post #15
Group icon
nabad

Watermelon Sugar, ROXANNE and you broke me first heart.gif all fab songs! Agreed on Arizona Zervas though, would be a shame if he does end up a one-hit wonder sad.gif I actually found some of the other songs pretty good ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th January 2021, 11:27 PM
Post #16
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Watermelon Sugar, Secrets, ROXANNE, In Your Eyes all fantastic songs. Shame Arizona Zervas will be a one-hit wonder. Liked more of Harry Styles content this year.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 27th January 2021, 08:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Rob aah

'Watermelon Sugar', 'In Your Eyes', 'Fake Friends' & 'you broke me first' I like from that lot even though the latter has now started to tire on me. Took it's time lol. Oops at Maroon 5 flopping with this but for me it was quite underwhelming so not too fussed personally!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2021, 09:43 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Harry! *.* It'll suffer in my EOY because of being split between 2019 and 2020 too #nospoilersplease but still such a brilliant track, think it's my favourite from the Fine Line era now wub.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 27th January 2021, 09:50 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Thanks again all! heart.gif There seems to be a consensus of faves from that section - particularly 'Watermelon Sugar'. Into the top 40 now, coincidentally with more Harry Styles!

40. Franky Wah "Come Together"

The poor irony of releasing this song while coming together was literally illegal. cry.gif Actually, it was perfect timing in a way, because music still had the power to bring us together even when we couldn’t do so physically. ‘Come Together’ sounded like a dance classic to me, and it probably could have been if it were able to be played at festivals and such!

39. Harry Styles "Golden"
'Golden' is officially my favorite Harry Styles song ohmy.gif Finally his first top 5 in my chart, where it's still sitting at its #2 peak. (I got stuck for commentary again so we’ll let the top 40 placing speak for itself tongue.gif)
Previous EOY history: "Sign Of The Times" (#64, 2017)

38. Taylor Swift "Cardigan"
My first impression of ‘Cardigan’ was that Taylor’s just trying to be hip by singing about cardigans kink.gif It didn’t seem to stand out from other songs on Folklore, so I didn’t quite understand it being a single, but naturally it grew. I think she channels Stevie Nicks more than anyone else, but it also reminds me of Lilith Fair-esque female pop from the 90s from the likes of Sophie B. Hawkins, Natalie Merchant, Shawn Colvin, etc. Needless to say, a brilliant change in direction for her!
Previous EOY history: "Shake It Off" (#22, 2014), "Wildest Dreams" (#25, 2015), "Delicate" (#1, 2018), "…Ready For It?" (#49, 2018), "You Need To Calm Down" (#32, 2019)

37. BTS "Dynamite"
I consider ‘Dynamite’ to be the ‘Sucker’ of 2020, that perfect radio song, carefully made to be as catchy as possible, and impossible to resist no matter how hard you try. Take it from me, who really did try to dislike it, as I’ve always felt BTS were overrated compared to other K-Pop groups. But this was the real deal and deserved all the success it got. The boys have really earned it with how hard they’ve worked the past few years, so I’m quite happy for them even if I don’t remain a fan beyond this one song.

36. Justin Bieber "Yummy"
Yes, I have a soft spot for ‘Yummy’, even if it objectively was a major misfire of a single and especially for an era-starter. It was quickly written off as a flop, and somehow that led me to give it another chance and reevaluate my judgment. I’m definitely into the trap-pop that he and Ariana have been doing! And I can overlook the lyrics, I’ve certainly liked songs with worse lyrics than this. But yeah, definitely NOT more deserving of a Grammy nomination than ‘Blinding Lights’, that’s where I draw the line.
Previous EOY history: "Sorry" (#12, 2016 and #14, 2015), "Let Me Love You" (#6, 2016), "Friends" (#23, 2017), "I Don’t Care" (#37, 2019)

35. Ava Max "Kings & Queens"
I’d say Ava had a great year: she recovered from ‘Torn’ not doing much, erased her two-hit wonder status, and released an album which also seems to be quite well received. I mostly liked ‘Kings & Queens’ for its ABBA influences and that guitar solo, overall a big improvement from ‘So Am I’. It nearly out-performed ‘Sweet But Psycho’ in the US, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up as her signature hit here ohmy.gif
Previous EOY history: "Sweet But Psycho" (#11, 2019)

34. Saint Jhn "Roses (Imanbek Remix)"
I’m really impressed at how fresh ‘Roses’ still sounds 12 months after it first broke through. An unconventional hit to say the least, so it made for a great #1 in the UK. It even defied the odds to cross over to the US, although I believe TikTok was at least partially responsible for that. Either way, we’ll look back on it fondly and the next generation will know of our good taste wink.gif

33. Dua Lipa "Hallucinate"
Dua and her team made so many good moves last year, one of those being to keep pushing new singles without waiting for the previous one to peak in the US. ‘Hallucinate’ had been an obvious choice even before the iconic BBC News Remix, and they capitalized on it while ‘Break My Heart’ was still running its course here. Its chart performance exceeded my expectations considering the lack of promo opportunities at the time, and it’s been great to see so many songs on Future Nostalgia get their moment to shine!
Previous EOY history: "Be The One" (#3, 2017), "New Rules" (#4, 2017), "Electricity" (#30, 2018), "One Kiss" (#45, 2018), "Swan Song" (#23, 2019), "Don’t Start Now" (#31, 2019)

32. Billie Eilish "Everything I Wanted"
This seems WAY too low but sadly was split between 2019 and 2020. ‘Everything I Wanted’ hit me so hard on first listen and is probably my favorite of Billie’s now. She’s going to be hard-pressed to create a song better than this one IMO, but she’s already come close a couple times since then!
Previous EOY history: "Bad Guy" (#36, 2019), "Everything I Wanted" (#57, 2019)

31. Morgan Wallen "Chasin’ You"

Edit: My commentary is a bit outdated now pirate.gif
Have you heard of him yet? Morgan is on course to be one of the defining country artists of the 2020s. I expect the decade to be dominated by himself and Luke Combs, who has a song still to come. ‘Chasin’ You’ is very much on the mellow side—a good counterbalance for his vocals, which are an acquired taste to say the least! laugh.gif So I would consider this to be his most accessible song yet, while also my favorite of his so far.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 30th January 2021, 07:37 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Golden is also my favourite Harry song! It never got as high in my chart as it did in yours though. Nice to see Hallucinate and Roses in this section as well, two great chart hits from this year, the former really deserved to get higher officially though sad.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:29 PM