BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> COMPLETE: Singles Rate • 2020, Now watch ME.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Apr 3 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #21
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Results still going okay. Would rather 'Do Somethin'' and 'Radar' were here in place of 'Anticipating' and 'Outrageous' although they'd be leaving soonish anyway so they're not huge losses.

I enjoyed 'Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know' more than I thought upon re-listening for the first time in probably years, but again it's still one I'd place low down on my rank (Britney's discography is just too good!).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lukuzz
post Apr 3 2020, 09:53 PM
Post #22
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,209

No huge losses, do like Someday, FTBOMBH and Outrageous

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 4 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #23
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know is so underappreciated sad.gif Gorgeous song!

+Quote Post
Nick F1
post Apr 4 2020, 03:46 PM
Post #24
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,392

Next batch koming w00t.gif

+Quote Post
Scene
post Apr 4 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #25
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

Outrageous is the only big loss so far for me. Having said that, I think Brave New Girl or Showdown would have worked better as a fourth single.

+Quote Post
Nick F1
post Apr 4 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 5,392

35 - 31

35. (36) S&M (Remix) (feat. Rihanna) [6.05]
Highest: isolAddy! + Scene (10); LMLou (09.5); DionTheSats123, Cameron & gavindeejay (09); Nick Jonas + Liam.k. (08);
Lowest: blacksquare (01); JosephStyles + George.keh (03); Jay ☆ (03.5);

34. (31) Perfume [6.23]
Highest: ...ready for it, Jonjo, Cameron + Tawdry Hepburn (09); JosephStyles + WinterFreeze (08.5); Nick F1, Nick Jonas, DionTheSats123 + Liam.k. (08);
Lowest: jakewild (00); blacksquare + isolAddy! (02); StupidLove (03); Jade (04);

33. (**) Tom's Diner (feat. Giorgio Moroder) [6.27]
Highest: Nick F1, Nick Jonas, DionTheSats123, George.keh + Vülker (09); WinterFreeze & LMLou (08.5); Jonjo (08);
Lowest: jakewild (00); StayatHaus (02); 🍆 (03); Jay ☆ + blacksquare (04);

32. (28) Do Somethin' [6.33]
Highest: Tawdry Hepburn, isolAddy! + FUTURE NOSTALGIA (10); Nick F1 (09); JosephStyles, Jonjo, 🍆 + Jay ☆ (08);
Lowest: Jade (02); jakewild (03); Scene (03.5); WinterFreeze, StayatHaus, Cameron + gavindeejay (04);

31. (27) Boys (feat. Pharrell) [6.37]
Highest: ...ready for it, isolAddy! + 🍆 (10); Nick F1 (09); Nick Jonas (08.5); Jade, Lukuzz, DionTheSats123 + Liam.k. (08);
Lowest: jakewild + Scene (01); Tawdry Hepburn (03); blacksquare (04);

---

In this batch we have first new entry in the chart; Britney's version of ultimate classic by Suzanne Vega's Tom's Dinercomes pretty high @33, all thanks to Italian legend Giorgio Moroder. S&M remix climbs up one spot while Boys, Do Somethin' and Perfume all drops few spots. #oops

Tom's Diner is my ultimate fave from this batch. So sad that it never got full release as it deserves! S&M Remix is quite forgetable these days but that performance from Billboard awards is definitely one of most memorable performances by two female chart toppers. Perfume was cute, but now I can live without it. Do Somethin' and Boys are definitely underrated bops, especially Boys with that choreography and video!

This post has been edited by Nick F1: Apr 4 2020, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 4 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #27
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Perfume is too low in my opinion! Expected it tbh, but it's such a sweet track :'(

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Apr 4 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 2,666

32. (28) Do Somethin' [6.33]

Lowest: Jade (02)

31. (27) Boys (feat. Pharrell) [6.37]

Lowest: jakewild + Scene (01);

Jade, jake and Scene...see you all in a court...how could you?!!!

I never understand why you all hate Do Somethin' and Boys sob.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 4 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #29
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

^ Oops I've always found 'Do Somethin' a bit annoying sad.gif but I do love 'Boys' - that is the one real loss of that section for me! Underrated.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 4 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Idol

'Do Somethin'' above 'Perfume'?

'Do Somethin'' is fun and all but it is trash. 'Perfume' is gorgeous. I'm going to pretend it would be thought of more highly if it had been a hit.

Don't really understand the hatred for the Britney remix of 'S&M' when the original seems to be rated as one of Rihanna's best. Like, there's not that much difference?

Britney and Giorgio's version of 'Tom's Diner' is a great rendition, much better than that current cover that is circulating. The album it's from is excellent by the way; check out the Charli XCX one.

'Boys' gets a lot of flack here, I guess we're not huge on Pharrell's sound.

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Apr 4 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Legend

Do Somethin' it's trashy but it's good trashy!!!

Boys has always been very underrated in here...I am just glad that Britney herself loves it and she kept performing almost in every tour wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Apr 4 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #32
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

For a long time 'Boys' was my least favourite Britney single. I came to appreciate it more over time, but I'm still not "huge" on it.
'Tom's Diner' is brilliant though. Such a great rendition and I think more people should listen and appreciate it tbh. That's a good/respectable debut all things considered though!
'Perfume' is stunning and is always paid dust </3 I agree with you, Liam, that I can't help but think that had it been an actual hit, more people would have thought fondly of it.
'Do Somethin'' is SO much fun. Trashy fun, but what a BLAST.
Not S&M (Britney's Got the Flu Remix) climbing up a place! I actually like this version more than the original lmao, but I still don't love it. Never been a RiRi fave tbh.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 4 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Apr 4 2020, 06:53 PM) *
'Perfume' is stunning and is always paid dust </3 I agree with you, Liam, that I can't help but think that had it been an actual hit, more people would have thought fondly of it.

It's so different for Britney! I think it's the first time she's properly sang on a single pre-Blackout rather than the singy-talking style she usually goes for. Did it even get a proper push in the UK? I feel like it's the sort of song the likes of Radio 2 and Heart would play.

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Apr 4 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Legend

Sorry but Perfume never felt like it was the right song and choice for Britney, therefore it resulted being a disaster!!!

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 4 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #35
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

From The Bottom of my broken heart, don’t let me be the last to know and perfume are all gone too soon tbh.

I like mellow Britney wub.gif

Do Somethin would’ve been lower for me too and Make Me would’ve also left by now.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Apr 4 2020, 06:45 PM

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 5 2020, 08:46 AM
Post #36

The S&M mix is pretty bad. I mean the actual song is fantastic, but that’s down to Rihanna. Britney’s contribution leaves a LOT to be desired. sad.gif She sounds incredibly nasal, as if she had a cold. The quality of it is like the producers pasted an unfinished vocal demo onto the track, and the end result is jarring. If I’m in the right frame of mind the most positive mood I feel towards it is... amusement? She just doesn’t complement the vibe of the song at all. I just know that Britney from an era prior to Femme Fatale would have done the song a lot more justice.

^ This is possibly the only occasion I would ever be this critical of Britney, don’t worry x

Do Somethin’ is great fun, very of its time, but I like that about it. I wish it was more highly regarded than it is! Such a feisty moment in her singles run! It’s also cool that Britney was heavily involved in the creation of its music video. She did her own choreography, styling & also co-directed it.

Tom’s Diner wouldn’t place that high up my personal rank. It’s fine, but I regularly forget it exists kink.gif

Perfume is a sweet moment and it’s definitely one of Britney Jean’s strongest tracks. For some reason it didn’t seem to work as a single. It was a shame it couldn’t even get into the UK Top 200 drama.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 6 2020, 10:27 AM
Post #37

30 - 26

30. (26) I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman [6.45]
Highest: DionTheSats123 & Lukuzz (10); Cameron, Euphorique, FUTURE NOSTALGIA, Jack, Jade, JosephStyles & SamJudd (08) + Jay, Nick Jonas & NickF1 (07.5)
Lowest: jakewild (01); blacksquare (03) + LMLou, Tawdry Hepburn, WinterFreeze & 🍆 (04)

29. (30) Scream & Shout (with will.i.am) [6.45]
Highest: Nick Jonas & DionTheSats123 (10); isolAddy!, LMLou, Vülker & 🍆 (09); JosephStyles & NickF1 (08.5) + gavindeejay, Jay & Tawdry Hepburn (08)
Lowest: Scene (-01); blacksquare (00); jakewild (02); Euphorique (03) + WinterFreeze (04)

28. (29) Criminal [6.64]
Highest: FUTURE NOSTALGIA & NickF1 (10); Cameron, DionTheSats123, isolAddy!, Lukuzz, Nick Jonas & 🍆 (09) + George.keh, Jade & Liam.k. (08)
Lowest: jakewild (00); blacksquare (02); LMLou (02.5); Stupid Love (04) + SamJudd & Scene (04.5)

27. (24) Radar [6.71]
Highest: jakewild (10); LMLou (09.5); George.keh & Jonjo (09); NickF1 (08.5) + blacksquare, StupidLove & Tawdry Hepburn (08)
Lowest: Jade (00); StayatHaus & 🍆 (04) + Scene (04.5)

26. (22) '3' [6.82]
Highest: Jack, Liam.k., LMLou & Nick Jonas (09); FUTURE NOSTALGIA (08.5) + ...ready for it, DionTheSats123, isolAddy!, Jade, Jay, JosephStyles & 🍆 (08)
Lowest: Tawdry Hepburn (02); jakewild & Scene (03) + blacksquare (04)

---

We begin this section with the ballad single 'I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman', the third single from Britney's self-titled 2001 album. An interesting and perhaps forgotten fact is that British singer Dido is one of its songwriters! The single was released worldwide from February to April 2002, with its music video including clips from Britney's debut movie role 'Crossroads' (interestingly the video was shot well in advance of its release, on 16-17 August 2001 - that was a couple of weeks in advance of the I'm a Slave 4 U video shoot!). 'Girl' performed modestly in the US, peaking at #2 in the Bubbling Under chart. This apparent under-performance was due to the lack of radio support that Britney suffered throughout her third album era. It was a big hit elsewhere though, notably peaking at #2 in the UK. It's such a sweet song about crossing into adulthood, striving for independence & to be treated like an adult - a theme present throughout 'Britney'.

Britney's 2012 collaboration with will.i.am, 'Scream & Shout', was a massive worldwide smash hit. In many countries it became her biggest success since her debut hit '...Baby One More Time'. Judging by its #29 position in this rate, many of us would agree that it probably doesn't deserve that accolade, although I'm sure none of us begrudge its success! It reached #1 in 24 countries, including the UK where it spent 2 weeks on top at the beginning of 2013. The song includes a reference to the lyric 'Britney, bitch' from her 2007 single 'Gimme More'. British singer Tulisa co-wrote the song & her vocals feature on the track, but wasn't initially given the credit she deserved. She eventually won a lawsuit in 2018, entitling her to 10% of publishing rights. I'd file this one under 'guilty pleasure bop'.

Next up we have 'Criminal', the fourth and final single from 'Femme Fatale' (2011). Admittedly this isn't a huge favourite of mine, but it was clearly a fan favourite upon the release of the 'Femme Fatale' album, which may have influenced the decision for it to become a single. It certainly stands out on the album for being the only song that comes close to being close to a ballad, although I'd say it's more of a mid-tempo moment. 'Criminal' achieved #1 airplay in Brazil and became a Top 20 sales or airplay hit in numerous countries, including #13 in France and #16 in Canada. Curiously success was not forthcoming in the UK - it became her first ever single to miss the Top 200 singles chart... how rude of us, when Britney graced the UK with her presence to film the music video!

'Radar' had an unusual journey towards achieving single status in June 2009. It was included on Britney's 2007 release 'Blackout' and was originally intended to be the third single from it. However, 'Break the Ice' ended up being released instead. The 'Blackout' era came to a close following that single, with 'Radar' seemingly destined to remain as an album track. Britney swiftly released a follow up album, 'Circus', in 2008 - and to the surprise of fans, it included 'Radar' as a bonus track (appearing as the thirteenth and final track on standard editions of the album). It finally achieved single status as the fourth release from this album, following 'Womanizer', 'Circus' and 'If U Seek Amy' served as the first three singles from 'Circus'. Apparently its release was a contractual agreement with the songwriters, who had been promised it would be a single - this being the reason it was included on 'Circus'. At this point the song was almost 2 years old, so the fan reaction regarding it becoming a single was rather mixed. Commercial success was limited, although it did reach #8 in Sweden and #13 in Belgium. The UK weren't particularly feeling it - it became Britney's first single to miss the Top 40 singles chart, peaking at #46. The music video... all I'll say is Radar Horse. *_* This might seem strange, but I have conflicting feelings towards 'Radar' depending on whether I play it via 'Blackout' or 'Circus'. It sounds right at home on 'Blackout', I really enjoy it and consider it to be one of the album's standout moments (of which there are many!). Yet on 'Circus', I feel like it's jarring... and it affects my enjoyment of it.

We round off this section with '3', the lead (and only) single taken from Britney's 2009 compilation 'The Singles Collection' - a release to mark a decade of Britney's music career. Another decade had passed since the release of '3', and I still find it quite surprising that it was such a massive success in the US! It debuted and peaked at #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 - the first time she'd ever entered straight in at #1. In fact at that point in time it was only the fifteenth song in US chart history to become an instantaneous chart topper. It is Britney's third #1 hit, following '...Baby One More Time' and 'Womanizer'. '3' also reached #1 in Canada, and achieved Top 10 and Top 20 peaks throughout the world. '3' received positive appreciation from music critics, but it always seems to divide the fans... as reflected by its 26th place position, and slightly meh average score of 6.82. Interestingly it's the only song in this section that didn't receive a 10, or even a 9.5, from anyone.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 6 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #38
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman' and 'Criminal' are both strong slower moments for me! Plus '3' is a bop. I've never been keen on 'Radar' at all - I understand why it was included on not one, but two, of her albums but ugh, it's a shame that such an uneventful song in a really great back catalogue got two chances to shine. 'Scream & Shout' is alright, mainly glad it exists so that she could have another UK #1 single.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Apr 6 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #39
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

The Radar story and release is one of the most iconic f*** ups in music history, no? Lmao. It should've followed BTI as the last single from Blackout. Not the last single from Circus... 2 years later. sad.gif

None of the others are huge losses at this point (hence why I'm not named on any but Radar lol) I have a soft spot for S&S occasionally though!

+Quote Post
StupidLove
post Apr 6 2020, 10:51 AM
Post #40
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 104,307
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Apr 6 2020, 11:45 AM) *
The Radar story and release is one of the most iconic f*** ups in music history, no? Lmao. It should've followed BTI as the last single from Blackout. Not the last single from Circus... 2 years later. sad.gif

None of the others are huge losses at this point (hence why I'm not named on any but Radar lol) I have a soft spot for S&S occasionally though!

I agree, but do also love it's a single anyway I love it!

So far I agree with a lot of the low scoring placings in general, only one I wish was higher was Radar but so far so good! Glad Pretty Girls didn't reach top 40... eek

This post has been edited by StupidLove: Apr 6 2020, 10:52 AM

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:52 AM