BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> SPOILERS | Canada vs. the World | Season 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 25th March 2024, 11:43 AM
Post #21
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 25 2024, 10:27 AM) *
Apparently Vivaldi (Holland 2), Susan (Belgium 1) and Anneé Maywong (Thailand 1) all said no, all strong competitors from their franchises that would also improve the variety of this cast.

VTW always feels kind of set up to crown a certain queen and with GAS now being a thing, I can see why queens wouldn’t really want to do Canada vs The world which isn’t even hosted by Ru. I think the concept may be better off doing non English All Stars for Spanish and French speaking queens now that each language has a couple of iterations and queens that probably either language or even both.

If I knew I was going to be cast with Americans on their third or fourth round I would probably say no too. Especially given that we know AS trends towards comedy challenges which naturally advantage the queens competing in their first language and so far don't seem to have any flexibility whatsoever for queens whose English isn't quite as fluent.

Snatch Game on UK vs the World with only a couple native English speakers out of 8 for example was a total shitshow, all the ESL queens were essentially locked out of any potential for doing well from the jump.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 26th March 2024, 05:07 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(J00prstar @ Mar 25 2024, 11:43 AM) *
If I knew I was going to be cast with Americans on their third or fourth round I would probably say no too. Especially given that we know AS trends towards comedy challenges which naturally advantage the queens competing in their first language and so far don't seem to have any flexibility whatsoever for queens whose English isn't quite as fluent.

Snatch Game on UK vs the World with only a couple native English speakers out of 8 for example was a total shitshow, all the ESL queens were essentially locked out of any potential for doing well from the jump.

Yeah I agree, when a season is specifically supposed to be international in this way it feels unfair to “waste” the chance an ESL queen has because they will really struggle getting past a challenge that happens every season that involves improvising in their second (or even third/fourth) language. And I think that’s why a lot of the Snatch Games are weak, like with both UKvTWs, you automatically have the English speaking queens in the top and they don’t even have to necessarily be good.

Maybe they could still celebrity impersonation to keep the feel of Snatch Game but it could be a challenge a bit like a talent show where you can do whatever you want to impersonate that celebrity, like a performance or something. That way ESL queens can do something that is easier for them and fairer? Idk I think there’s still the problem, more with Ru hosting, that ESL queens are kind of forced into doing a character known to that country, rather than something they grew up with that’s pertinent to their culture or country.

Tangent here but it’s not even just vTW that has this issue, Belgium season 2 had it pretty bad too! They had two Flemish queens and actually made a point of one’s entire storyline pretty much just being “she’s not good at French smile.gif” and even giving her critiques on it all the time which idk I found kind of gross. Although she did actually win Snatch Game after being in the bottom undeservedly for basically everything else laugh.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 26th March 2024, 07:56 PM
Post #23
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 26 2024, 05:07 PM) *
Tangent here but it’s not even just vTW that has this issue, Belgium season 2 had it pretty bad too! They had two Flemish queens and actually made a point of one’s entire storyline pretty much just being “she’s not good at French smile.gif” and even giving her critiques on it all the time which idk I found kind of gross. Although she did actually win Snatch Game after being in the bottom undeservedly for basically everything else laugh.gif

They also did this with Lolita on DRF iirc (to say nothing of queens like Kandy Ho from the og seasons)

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st April 2024, 10:08 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Further to that point, the Snatch Game is a Rusical format this time! Not sure how that will work and the only ESL queen is gone by that time, as it’s episode 2, but I’m interested to see. I wonder if it will be like AS3 type Rusical where it’s singers but they pick their role instead? I guess the queens do submit their Snatch Game choices and they have to be approved so they could write something around that. It’s a fairer choice to ESL queens to be able to do that but this is actually a cast that would do pretty well on Snatch Game with Alexis and Eureka being top twice, Kennedy doing one of the best Snatch Games ever, Lemon being a clear second on her Snatch Game, even Cheryl and Fierce did alright and could easily do a little better and be in the top tbh.

Also Alexis and Fierce win the ball, and Lemon and Cheryl win girl groups, it will be amazing to see Cheryl get a win on her 3rd season!

+Quote this post
DanielSwift
post 3rd April 2024, 12:11 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 119,363

Placements:
Top 2: Alexis & Lemon
3rd/4th: Cheryl & Kennedy
5th: Fiercalicious
6th: Eureka
7th: Tynomi
8th: Le Fil
9th: La Kahena

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 3rd April 2024, 10:08 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

Would be here for Lemon being top 2.

Still such an uninspired line-up

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd April 2024, 10:16 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

This season feels AI generated, right down to the fact that if you swap Eureka and Cheryl it’s pretty much the elimination order anyone would call too laugh.gif

I do love the top 6 though and I think they all have a lot of strengths so it should be a decent season. I think Canada vs the world is lowkey so unserious and knowing that so many queens said no and it delayed casting, I’ll take whatever form it’s in to see more of Alexis, Eureka, Fierce, and Lemon.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 3rd April 2024, 10:47 AM
Post #28
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

I don’t normally look at spoilers but f*** yes this is Lemon’s time to shine cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:08 AM