BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evita Soundtrack Appreciation ● 20 Years On
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Which are your favourite Madonna songs on the soundtrack?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
Liam.k.
post Mar 9 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's 20 years since Evita - the film adaptation of the Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber musical in which Madonna assumed the lead role - received 5 nominations at the 69th Academy Awards, including a win for Best Original Song. To celebrate, we recognise the soundtrack that took Madonna's voice to a whole new level.

After securing the role of Eva Perón following years of dedicated pleading, Madonna was encouraged to take vocal lessons to ensure she could handle the demanding vocal requirements of the musical's soundtrack. No dialogue is featured; every line is sung and Madonna would have to perform in two thirds of those songs, usually backed by a grand 80-piece orchestra. It was well outside her comfort zone, but she didn't needed any persuasion: she had already promised she would do whatever it took to master every aspect of the role and she immediately took on vocal training led by coach Joan Lader. Madonna's increased confidence in the songs was noticed after being taught to sing from her diaphragm, allowing her to project her voice and develop her upper register. It has also been said that Madonna acted out each scene whilst recording vocals to ensure each lyric had the right sort of feeling put into it. No doubt this allowed her to have some sort of control over the recording process - unlike with her own studio albums, Madonna had no input in the writing or production, despite as her suggestions of rewriting some of the original lyrics. Perhaps as a compromise, a new song 'You Must Love Love' was specially written for the movie.

Three singles were released to promote the soundtrack: the aforementioned 'You Must Love Me', 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' and 'Another Suitcase in Another Hall'. All were met with great critical reception, but only one would truly make an impact on the charts - 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina', the song most associated with the film and original stage musical that is sung during the famous balcony scene. It was a Top 10 hit all across Europe, including topping the charts in France and Spain, as well as reaching #8 in the US. Despite this, it was 'You Must Love Me' that the industry was most interested in and it was put forward for a number of awards, most significantly being its win for Best Original Song at both the Golden Globes and the Oscars/Academy Awards - the latter at which Madonna performed the song live, thus cementing it as one of her most celebrated performances.

Evita rarely gets much attention on forums - perhaps because, despite the crediting, it's not really a Madonna album and the music isn't quite what people invest in Madonna for - but, as we reach 20 years since it was top of the charts, now seems a good chance to shine the limelight on the soundtrack once more. What are people's thoughts on the album? Any favourites? Any standout performances? I've also attached a poll of all the songs that Madonna takes a lead vocal, just to see which songs stand out as the most liked.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 9 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Just found this little clip of an interview on YouTube:

I just love her reaction when the sound room get a bollocking! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Mar 9 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #3
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

Some of these tracks are stunning. I still listen to Another Suitcase In Another Hall, You Must Love Me and Don't Cry for Me Argentina on a regular basis and I have the album on my shelf at home. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 9 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #4
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

You Must Love Me is utterly gorgeous, also love Rainbow High.

This post has been edited by Regina: Mar 9 2017, 10:57 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 10 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #5
Raining Shitter

Downloaded the soundtrack and totally in awe of how good it is wub.gif Lament in particular is so hauntingly beautiful.
I don't think Madonan has ever sounded better than on this, shocked how good Antonio is too.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 11 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol

Yes 'Lament' is one of my favourites, largely down to the impressive vocal display she delivered on the Re-invention Tour:

That was my first time hearing the song, so then I stumbled across the scene in the musical film that it's used:

That's a pretty damn good performance from Madonna there. Heaps of emotion portrayed from just her face and her singing - who said Madonna couldn't act?

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 11 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #7
Raining Shitter

Shame she's now incapable of showing any emotion whatsoever in that face of hers.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 12 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Idol

laugh.gif

I have to say, despite shaky vocal performances throughout the years, Madonna hasn't ever seemed to have struggled when it comes to the Evita songs. The back-to-back performance of 'You Must Love Me' and 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' from the S&S Tour is one of my all-time favourites:

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 13 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

What a soundtrack I love every song !!!

1. Lament
2. Another suitcase
3. Eva beware of the city

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 13 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

High flying adored is amazing too but it's mainly credited to Antonio but M finishes the song.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Mar 16 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #11
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I really like to pretend this whole era doesn't exist.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 17 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol

Why? ohmy.gif It's not my sort of music bar the odd couple of songs but I wouldn't go as far to say I wish it didn't exist, especially when it's partly why we got Ray of Light.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:29 AM