BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> TV Pick of the Day, Saturday: The Family Chase and The X Factor
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Botchia
post 12th February 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Welcome to a new feature of the UK TV & Soaps forum. Each day or so (whenever something important is on TV basically), it will be highlighted in this thread with all the details you need to tune in. Or if you're looking for something to watch, then hopefully this will help as a recommendation for the night's TV highlight.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 12th February 2017, 03:43 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Sunday 12th February: The Good Karma Hospital

ITV at 9:00pm
Genre: Drama
Similar to: Holby City, Death In Paradise, The Durrells, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Starring: Amanda Redman, Neil Morrissey, Amrita Acharia, James Floyd

Synopsis

The Good Karma Hospital is a brand new medical drama series set in tropical South India.
The series tells the story of junior doctor Ruby Walker (Amrita Acharia, Game of Thrones), who arrives in India looking for a job and a distraction from her heartbreak. She anticipates the sunshine, the palm trees and picture-perfect beaches. She’s even prepared for the sacred cows, the tuk-tuks and the Delhibelly that everyone warned her about. What she doesn’t expect are the realities of work, life and even love at an under-resourced and over-worked cottage hospital.
Run by a gloriously eccentric Englishwoman – Doctor Lydia Fonseca (Amanda Redman, New Tricks) - the Good Karma Hospital is the beating heart of the local community. Held together by a hand-picked team of British and Indian medics, the Good Karma turns no one away - locals, ex-pats and tourists are all welcomed through its doors.
Life affirming and optimistic, this contemporary series mixes the heartbreaking with the humorous, and the doctors, nurses and patients soon discover that the Good Karma Hospital is more than just a rundown medical outpost - it’s a home.

Sunday 12th February: BAFTA Film Awards 2017

BBC One at 9:00pm
Genre: Awards Show
Similar to: BAFTA TV Awards, National Television Awards, The British Soap Awards
Hosted by: Stephen Fry

DISCUSS IN THE MOVIES FORUM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 12th February 2017, 11:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

The Good Karma Hospital definitely seems like that typical Sunday night drama, from the little I've heard of it, it definitely seems inspired by Wild at Heart too!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 13th February 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Monday 13th February: Celebs Go Dating

E4 at 10:00pm
Genre: Reality
Similar to: First Dates, The Only Way Is Essex, Made In Chelsea, Geordie Shore
Starring: Fearn McCann, Joey Essex, Melody Thornton, Jonathan Cheban, Jorgie Porter, Perri Kiely, Stephen Bear

Synopsis

Tonight Celebs Go Dating returns to E4 for a second series. The Celebrity Dating Agency is opening its doors to a brand new bunch of single celebrities who are all looking for love. But the stars aren't dating each other - they're dating real people in the real world! TV presenter Ferne McCann is searching for her Prince Charming; it's all new territory for Diversity's Perri Kiely, who's never had a girlfriend; actress Jorgie Porter is looking for a hunk she can trust; and reality TV rogue Stephen Bear wants to get as many girls on the agency books as he can. At the singles mixer the celebrity clients mingle with everyday singletons and face the challenge of asking one of them out. Will anyone rescue Ferne McCann when she fears she'll be left on the shelf? Will Stephen Bear live up to his playboy reputation when he works the room? And what will happen when Joey Essex returns to the agency looking for love a second time around?

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 13th February 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

That's one I WON'T be watching, especially with Stephen involved. sick2.gif

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 15th February 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Wednesday 15th February: The Real Marigold Hotel

BBC One at 9:00pm
Genre: Documentary
Similar to: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (film), Our Guy In India and Famous, Rich and Homeless
Starring: Lionel Blair, Bill Oddie, Amanda Barrie, Dennis Taylor, Miriam Stoppard

Synopsis

A group of celebrities travel to India to see whether retirement would be more rewarding there than in the UK. Entertainer Lionel Blair, wildlife presenter Bill Oddie, actress Amanda Barrie, snooker champion Dennis Taylor, TV personality Rustie Lee, TV doctor Miriam Stoppard, Three Degrees singer Sheila Ferguson and Just Good Friends actor Paul Nicholas arrive at their new home, a 16th-century mansion in Old Kochi. Sheila is keen to make sure she gets what she wants out of the experience, but Lionel finds dealing with the realities of living in India unsettling - the animals in the street, the more basic way of life and the piles of rubbish that can distract from the beauty. Paul, Bill and Dennis rise to the challenge with humour and classic one-liners, and Rustie and Miriam seem charmed by their first days here. The group then head off to visit the world-famous backwaters, hundreds of miles of waterways that criss-cross through the villages and jungles, on traditional houseboats.

Wednesday 15th February: No Offence
SERIES FINALE

Channel 4 at 9:00pm
Starring: Joanna Scanlan, Elaine Cassidy, Alexandra Roach

Synopsis

With Deering, Dinah and Joy's friendship in jeopardy, and Donna Calvert missing, the race is on to prevent the Attahs' escape, but efforts to bring down the Attahs once and for all puts the team's lives at stake. The final action-packed showdown sees Viv Deering at her finest, deconstructing Nora's family, and trying to repair the fractures that have crept in to her own.

DISCUSS IN THE PROGRAMME THREAD

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 16th February 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

The Good Karma Hospital definitely feels suited for Sunday nights and seems to have been really well-received, but I have the feeling its probably too light-hearted and feel-good for my current tastes. I like uplifting, but I like my dramas dark, gritty and intriguing in the winter months, plus there's many a drama I still need to catch-up on right now.

Speaking of which, I still need to start watching No Offence! The trailer really interested me, but I suppose BBC and ITV just took precedent.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 16th February 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I Drink Wine

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 16 2017, 01:06 PM) *
The Good Karma Hospital definitely feels suited for Sunday nights and seems to have been really well-received, but I have the feeling its probably too light-hearted and feel-good for my current tastes. I like uplifting, but I like my dramas dark, gritty and intriguing in the winter months, plus there's many a drama I still need to catch-up on right now.

Speaking of which, I still need to start watching No Offence! The trailer really interested me, but I suppose BBC and ITV just took precedent.

Same for me re: The Good Karma Hospital. I love dark and gritty dramas, but this was far too fluffy for me, I switched off quite quickly laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 16th February 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Thursday 16th February: June Brown at 90

BBC One at 8:30pm
Similar to: EastEnders
Starring: June Brown, Adam Woodyatt, Rudolph Walker, Gillian Taylforth, Lacey Turner

Synopsis

Celebrating a milestone birthday, June Brown At 90 - A Walford Legend, spends half an hour in the company of one of Albert Square’s most beloved actors, as she talks about her life and career.

From her early days in theatre to the reason she believes she was cast in the role of Dot (she turned up to the audition on time and she liked a cigarette), June Brown’s views on almost everything are both surprising and entertaining. She reveals that she’d had her horoscope read and was told that on 31 May 1985, “I would have a spectacular success”. The date in question would turn out to be June’s first day on the EastEnders set.

She talks of how in the early days she was seen as a rival by a fellow cast member, and how she coaxed more out of her character than just being a hypochondriac (“I loved it when Dot went hysterical”). She also reveals the effect Dot Cotton has had on her life and the opportunities it has given her, from Bafta nominations to revealing all in Calendar Girls.

But who is June Brown? And how similar is she to her EastEnders’ character? Funny, eccentric and straight talking, while Dot might be often impersonated, June Brown is unique.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 16th February 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Looking forward to June Brown at 90! As I've grown older, I've realised how valuable she is to Eastenders and what an icon her character is. I've watched the show since a young child and Dot has been ever-present; it'll certainly be a sad day when she leaves.

I also miss the BBC 3 Eastenders Revealed programmes, plus I wish Eastenders had more programmes that celebrated certain landmarks or events with its characters (Corrie, for instance, has had several programmes to mark x amount of year of a certain character or to mark their exit from the show).

QUOTE(burbe @ Feb 16 2017, 01:40 PM) *
Same for me re: The Good Karma Hospital. I love dark and gritty dramas, but this was far too fluffy for me, I switched off quite quickly laugh.gif

Might just give it a miss then! I need to get watching any January dramas that I want to but haven't yet caught up on before all the new ones start!

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 18th February 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Saturday 18th February: The Voice UK

ITV at 8pm
Genre: Talent Show
Similar to: The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent
Starring: will.i.am, Tom Jones, Jennifer Hudson, Gavin Rossdale, Emma Willis

Synopsis

The spinning-chair singing contest reaches a crucial stage, as Emma Willis introduces the seventh and final Blind Audition. As always, another selection of would-be stars are ushered onto the stage to perform, unseen by judges Jennifer Hudson, Gavin Rossdale, Will.i.am and Tom Jones, who must signal their approval by turning their chairs. Next week, the judges' teams are forced to face off in the Battle phase.

Tonight features Abi Phillips, a former star of Hollyoaks.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 19th February 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Sunday 19th February: SS-GB

BBC One at 9pm
Similar to: The Man In The High Castle, The Secret Agent, Partners In Crime
Starring: Sam Riley, Kate Bosworth, James Cosmo, Maeve Dermody

Synopsis

SSGB is a complex thriller focusing on British Detective Douglas Archer. Forced to work under the brutal SS in occupied London, Archer is determined to continue to do his job in the service of his country, but against impossible odds. We first meet Archer in 1941, with the vast majority of England and Wales are under Nazi occupation after losing the Battle of Britain. Pockets of resistance continue to show their defiance against the occupying German forces, but after a German pilot is murdered by a British Resistance fighter, tensions in London could not be higher.

When investigating what appears to be a simple black market murder, Archer is dragged into a much darker and more treacherous world where the stakes are as high as the ultimate outcome of the war. The elusive American journalist Barbara Barga may hold the key - but can he trust her? And when his lover Sylvia endangers her life by bravely making a stand against the oppressive regime, Archer is forced to confront a deeper dilemma. Can he carry out his duty to defend law and order when he is working for the wrong side? What is he willing to risk in the fight against fascism?

+Quote this post
Silas
post 19th February 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

No Offence finale was fooking incredible.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 19th February 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

excited for SS-GB although i'll probably catch up on it tomorrow wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 19th February 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

The Moorside, Apple Tree Yard, Taboo - the BBC are on FIRE so far this year with their dramas. Here's hoping SS-GB continues the trend! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 21st February 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Tuesday 21st February: Ross Kemp: Libya's Migrant Hell

Sky 1 at 9pm
Similar to: Ross Kemp: Extreme World, Our World, Children of Syria
Starring: Ross Kemp

Synopsis

Thousands of Africans fleeing poverty, violence and civil unrest are heading across Libya, aiming for Europe. Reaching the coast, they’re crammed by smugglers onto giant, barely seaworthy dinghies, hoping to be picked up by European search and rescue teams. Many don’t make it that far. Some die; some are trafficked into slavery or prostitution; many are picked up in Libyan territorial waters and then dumped in detention camps. In a country that’s free-falling into anarchy, this means they’re effectively forgotten. Aid agencies can’t get to them, and it’s up to the likes of Ross Kemp to highlight their appalling plight.

This is heartbreaking television; as Kemp says, no matter what your view on the “migrant crisis”, these are people, who are risking everything. No one deserves this kind of treatment.

Ross explores the arduous journey taken by those desperate to leave Libya for Europe, witnessing the many dangers the migrants encounter along the way.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 23rd February 2017, 05:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Thursday 23rd February: Has Political Correctness Gone Mad?

Channel 4 at 9pm
Genre: Politics, Factual
Starring: Trevor Phillips

Synopsis

In a powerful and provocative authored film, Trevor Phillips investigates the liberal urge to protect minorities from offence by gagging so-called populists and concludes that for liberals it's backfired. The backlash has stirred the Trump-Farage-led revolt - and even alienated the minorities whom liberals claim to champion. From the sacking of a Nobel scientist for a politically incorrect joke to the banning of sombreros on campus, the liberal elite's unwritten rules about what you can or can't say risk becoming not only ridiculous but self-defeating. For Trevor, the acid test of a democracy is whether it truly encourages the airing of different opinions whatever they might be - a test that Britain seems in danger of failing.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 23rd February 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

The answer is mainly yes, not in an alt-right 'omg why can't I say n*****' way but stuff like the whole Louis Smith thing was a bit overboard.

Anyway, I watched one of his documentaries before (eithe last year or the year before). I can't remember if it was really interesting or really bad but I think it was the former.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 26th February 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Sunday 26th February: Dragon's Den
SERIES FINALE

BBC Two at 8pm
Genre: Business, Entertainment
Similar to: The Apprentice, The Profit
Starring: Evan Davis, Deborah Meaden, Peter Jones, Touker Suleyman, Sarah Willingham, Nick Jenkins

Synopsis

The agony of Dragons’ Den can sometimes be too much to watch. Seeing someone’s pitch turn to dust in their mouth, or watching a pair of entrepreneurs flail around like guilty schoolboys as they can’t answer money questions – it can be too excruciating.

But that’s the deal: it’s all distressingly real, not a game show. Livelihoods are at stake in those spiky exchanges. “Don’t blow it now!” begs Sarah Willingham as one possible investment teeters on the edge of a rather tactless cliff. Sadly, this is the last of the series and the last we’ll see of Willingham. She and the genial Nick Jenkins are bowing out of Dragon duties to tot up their winnings elsewhere.

Deborah Meaden, Peter Jones, Touker Suleyman, Sarah Willingham and Nick Jenkins assess the profit-making potential of a husband and wife team's Welsh delicacy, a new male fragrance, and a London businessman's food delivery service for Michelin star restaurants.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 28th February 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I Drink Wine

Tuesday 28th February: The Replacement

BBC One at 9pm
Genre: Drama, Thriller
Starring: Morven Christie, Vicky McClure, Richard Rankin, Neve McIntosh, Dougray Scott

Synopsis

Three-part psychological thriller about a woman who fears her maternity leave cover is out to steal her life. When Ellen gets pregnant after landing a big contract for her firm of architects, she hires Paula as cover, but she soon fears she has made a terrible mistake. Ellen wants to get back to work quickly, but Paula thinks Ellen should be putting her baby at the centre of her life. She wastes no time in moving in on Ellen's bosses, clients and friends, and Ellen fears she is being forced out. Everyone thinks Paula is great and Ellen is being paranoid, until a site accident puts Ellen's suspicions into overdrive.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:19 PM