BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General Whining
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Sep 12 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/too-whit...-help-pcpq9vjqc

The head of the British Red Cross has admitted the charity struggled with the Grenfell disaster because its workforce is too white.

Mike Adamson, the charity’s chief executive, said: “There is a risk that in a very diverse community like Grenfell, an organisation with the words ‘British’ and ‘Cross’ in its title is confused with a Christian establishment organisation.”

Although the charity is impartial in its work, he added: “There is no escaping the fact that with shining exceptions, such as our refugee services, we are nowhere near as diverse as we need to be in our volunteer base, our staffing or our leadership.”

{Unfortunately most of the article is trapped behind a paywall]

Surely the ethnic make-up of a charity's staff doesn't matter, it's what they do to help that is crucial. Besides, charities are hardly in a position to pick & choose since their staff are volunteers.

Also, anyone who turns down sincerely offered help for racial/cultural reasons, is likely to lose a lot of sympathy.

There's also the factor that tax-exempt charitable status depends on being non-political...

This post has been edited by Soy Adrián: Jan 25 2018, 09:05 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Sep 12 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #2
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Sounds to me like a quote that's been taken out of context, two separate statements that have been put together. That is, 1) they want to increase their diversity (probably for policy reasons or following new laws set by the government, or to get some particular kind of funding) and 2) they don't want to come across as a Christian charity when they're not one.

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Sep 12 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 334
   No Gallery Pics

I can't read the article other than the quote you refer to because Times articles are behind a pay wall. Are there any examples of specific people from Greenwell refusing help because they had that impression?

I don''t read papers nowadays because the standard of journalism is so poor.

Articles now tend to contain biased opinion masquerading as impartiality. They also seem more and more to be cobbled out of news feed, quotes from other journalists' pieces and social media. It's the age of puffed out opinionated sound bites, often taken out of context, and lurid (sub) headlines.

Sometimes the broadsheets can still do research and produce a series of In-depth articles but it's so very rare. They know what good journalism is but won't spend the money. If they did, maybe more people would buy a daily paper.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 12 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #4
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Baytree @ Sep 12 2017, 09:27 AM) *
I can't read the article other than the quote you refer to because Times articles are behind a pay wall. Are there any examples of specific people from Greenwell refusing help because they had that impression?

Unfortunately the paywall prevents me from knowing that, either.

Suffice to say, had the article been from the Mail I wouldn't have even bothered posting it, as I know the usual reaction to them, here. laugh.gif

I don''t read papers nowadays because the standard of journalism is so poor.

Articles now tend to contain biased opinion masquerading as impartiality. They also seem more and more to be cobbled out of news feed, quotes from other journalists' pieces and social media. It's the age of puffed out opinionated sound bites, often taken out of context, and lurid (sub) headlines.

I agree, except to say that that's not exactly new. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 12 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

The Times made a complete mess of a story about a five-year-old girl's fostering arrangements a couple weeks ago so they seem to be trying to be as unreliable as the Mail.

It's not the first time the name Red Cross has been misinterpreted. It was, of course, named because their emblem is the reverse of the Swiss flag but they still felt they had to call themselves Red Crescent in Islamic countries.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 13 2017, 05:42 AM
Post #6
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 12 2017, 11:52 AM) *
The Times made a complete mess of a story about a five-year-old girl's fostering arrangements a couple weeks ago so they seem to be trying to be as unreliable as the Mail.

Are you saying that story was a complete fabrication, or that the wrong emphasis was placed on aspects of it?

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 13 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 13 2017, 06:42 AM) *
Are you saying that story was a complete fabrication, or that the wrong emphasis was placed on aspects of it?

The "journalists" who wrote the coverage made no attempt to make sur they had a proper grasp of the facts. As a result, the repot was highly misleading and inflammatory.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 13 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #8
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 13 2017, 08:48 AM) *
The "journalists" who wrote the coverage made no attempt to make sur they had a proper grasp of the facts. As a result, the repot was highly misleading and inflammatory.

I bet I can guess which paper posted a more 'PC' version of the story. rolleyes.gif

I should point out that virtually all the papers published a very similar version of the story, even most of the 'Buzzjack approved' ones.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 13 2017, 08:48 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 13 2017, 09:38 AM) *
I bet I can guess which paper posted a more 'PC' version of the story. rolleyes.gif

I should point out that virtually all the papers published a very similar version of the story, even most of the 'Buzzjack approved' ones.

I assume you are referring to the Guardian. I have no idea how they covered the story although I assume it was more fact-based than the Times' distorted version. That wouldn't be difficult.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 13 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #10
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 13 2017, 09:48 AM) *
I assume you are referring to the Guardian.

Bingo!

I have no idea how they covered the story although I assume it was more fact-based than the Times' distorted version. That wouldn't be difficult.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/se...kewed-portrayal

Given the Tower Hamlets reputation, it's an easy target for unsophisticated journalism, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/se...t-defends-story

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 13 2017, 10:09 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 13 2017, 10:47 AM) *
Bingo!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/se...kewed-portrayal

Given the Tower Hamlets reputation, it's an easy target for unsophisticated journalism, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/se...t-defends-story

The fact that Tower Hamlets have had major failings in the past is no excuse for sloppy (or deliberately misleading) journalism.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 13 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #12
DROTTNING!
Group: Members
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

The headline really doesn't seem to match up to the story.

Too white Red Cross struggled to help

The head of the British Red Cross has admitted the charity struggled with the Grenfell disaster because its workforce is too white.

Mike Adamson, the charity’s chief executive, said: “There is a risk that in a very diverse community like Grenfell, an organisation with the words ‘British’ and ‘Cross’ in its title is confused with a Christian establishment organisation.”

Although the charity is impartial in its work, he added: “There is no escaping the fact that with shining exceptions, such as our refugee services, we are nowhere near as diverse as we need to be in our volunteer base, our staffing or our leadership.”

The Red Cross was drafted in to help in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire in June, but many survivors feel they have yet to see any benefit from the charity’s fundraising efforts, with some even accusing it of being “thieves”.

The charity has raised £6.2m, but only £2.4m has been sent to organisations that will distribute the money.

Adamson’s frank comments in a blog for the New Philanthropy Capital think tank are reminiscent of Greg Dyke, the former BBC director-general, who described the broadcaster as “hideously white” in 2001.

A large proportion of families living in Grenfell Tower were from ethnic minority and Muslim backgrounds.

It's obvious how a lack of diversity can impede help in these kinds of circumstances - where people being helped don't have English as their first language, for example.

I mean yes, the categories white and not speaking the family's first language / not having full knowledge of how being Muslim might mean someone after a disaster has different needs (on food they can eat, services they need access to, funeral traditions after death and the need to bury the day after a body is returned and how that might impact on a family's time and availability and access to charity help) likely generally coincide. But it isn't the whiteness that's the problem there, it's the not having the understanding. The headline's going for inaccurate sensationalism over portraying what the actual drift of the CEO was saying about how a more diverse volunteer base for Red Cross would make it easier for them to help in some instances.

This post has been edited by Qassändra: Sep 13 2017, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Oct 1 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #13
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Going off at a tangent, what does Political Correctness actually mean to people here?

From my pov : It started out as a well-meaning attempt to protect minorities from abuse (which I have no problem with), but it is now often hijacked by the left, and used by them as an Orwellian device to suppress opposition to the Left's ideology.

I await the inevitable request for examples... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 1 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 1 2017, 07:48 AM) *
Going off at a tangent, what does Political Correctness actually mean to people here?

From my pov : It started out as a well-meaning attempt to protect minorities from abuse (which I have no problem with), but it is now often hijacked by the left, and used by them as an Orwellian device to suppress opposition to the Left's ideology.

I await the inevitable request for examples... rolleyes.gif

So why not pre-empt that by providing some. BTW, the baa-baa green sheep story is a widely discredited myth.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Oct 1 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #15
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 1 2017, 09:28 AM) *
So why not pre-empt that by providing some.

Well, I didn't want to jump the gun in case no-one did ask. wink.gif

'Rioting gets speaker 'banned'

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uc-berkeley-of...t-wing-speaker/

For good or ill, he's part of our history...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/...d-oriel-college

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 1 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Od dear, the old statues argument again. I have been to Germany quite a few times over the years. I haven't seen a single statue commemorating Nazi-era leaders. Similarly, there are not many statues of Lenin and Stalin in the old USSR or of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Opinions of people change over the years. It is, therefore, perfectly reasonable to reassess how we commemorate these people.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 1 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #17
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 1 2017, 09:58 AM) *
Od dear, the old statues argument again. I have been to Germany quite a few times over the years. I haven't seen a single statue commemorating Nazi-era leaders. Similarly, there are not many statues of Lenin and Stalin in the old USSR or of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Opinions of people change over the years. It is, therefore, perfectly reasonable to reassess how we commemorate these people.

Strangely enough, in recent years there's been a resurgence of statues of Stalin being erected in Russia, fuelled by increasing nationalism amongst younger Russians and for his role in defeating the Nazis in WW2 (conveniently forgetting that when the war started, the USSR were on the Nazi's side). A recent article about it also claimed that 46% of Russian express admiration of Stalin, which is quite chilling.

Veering off topic slightly, on the subject of Germany, when I was in Berlin last year I visited the Berlin Film Museum, and when it came to the section of the museum surrounding film of the 30s, I found it interesting, yet understandable, that none of the materials surrounding this period was kept in open display, instead it was kept in drawers which had to be opened to learn more detail about it

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 1 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Staying off topic slightly, I went to the Berlin Film Museum myself a few years ago. I was lucky enough to go when they had a fascinating full=scale exhibition devoted to Metropolis, in my opinion one of the greatest films ever made.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 1 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #19
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

They still had an exhibition for Metropolis when I visited, which was quite impressive. It's to my shame that I still haven't watched Metropolis - as my degree's in Film, it's one of those key films that I really should have seen.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 1 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

It is fair to say that I spent a long time on the Metropolis exhibition! When watching the film, it's fascinating to observe how many videos, adverts etc. have been influenced by it. It's also an extraordinary technical achievement for a film made in 1927, the year my Dad was born.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:47 AM