BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Will a self contained group ever have a no.1 single again?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
King Rollo
post Oct 14 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Just looking at the list of UK no.1 singles,I've noticed that it's three years since a group had a number 1,Little Mix with 'Shout Out To My Ex'. I'm not counting groups like Clean Bandit and Rudimental who hire a different singer for each single they release or choirs put together to do a charity single. I'm only referring to permanent groups with their own lead singer or groups who share the vocals between them. When you can think of the number of groups from the past with multiple number 1s,it's suddenly very difficult for a group to top the chart once. I suppose the chart figures being dominated by streaming is mostly to blame here. So what do you think? Will a group ever have a no.1 single again and who might it be?

Here is a list of groups to reach no.1 in this decade:

Scouting For Girls
Roll Deep
JLS
The Wanted
The Black Eyed Peas

The Wanted
Nero
One Direction
Little Mix

Coldplay
Cover Drive
Florence + the Machine
Sam and the Womp
Little Mix
One Direction

One Direction
PJ & Duncan
One Republic

5 Seconds Of Summer
Rixton
Magic!
Nico & Vinz
Take That

Years & Years
Little Mix
One Direction

Lukas Graham
Little Mix

None

None

None

This post has been edited by King Rollo: Jan 8 2021, 08:57 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 14 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Interesting observation but not sure what the logic is behind saying this is 'because of streaming', it's 100% just a coincidence. I suppose the streaming audience is less receptive to specifically indie/rock groups but there are very few acts that could even vaguely be considered that on your list anyway so that's something that predates the streaming era. I don't think there's any reason that streaming would lower the chance of pop groups reaching #1, and it'll obviously increase the chance of rap groups getting there (just so happens none of them have yet, but there have been big hits by the likes of NSG and Young T & Bugsey so an act like that could easily get a #1 at some point in the near future).

Also seems a little arbitrary to count Nero but not any of the other dance groups - even if your logic is that one of their members is a singer, The Chainsmokers at least should then count as well! Groups are still groups whether or not they have a singer though.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Oct 14 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002
I'm sure Pop will rise again when everyone gets taste again and realises a lot of the current trend is sh!te

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 14 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #4
Group icon
8 of this year's 11 #1s have been primarily pop songs but ok x (also that's not even what this thread is about)

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Oct 14 2019, 06:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Bréxit @ Oct 14 2019, 07:19 PM) *
Interesting observation but not sure what the logic is behind saying this is 'because of streaming', it's 100% just a coincidence. I suppose the streaming audience is less receptive to specifically indie/rock groups but there are very few acts that could even vaguely be considered that on your list anyway so that's something that predates the streaming era. I don't think there's any reason that streaming would lower the chance of pop groups reaching #1, and it'll obviously increase the chance of rap groups getting there (just so happens none of them have yet, but there have been big hits by the likes of NSG and Young T & Bugsey so an act like that could easily get a #1 at some point in the near future).

Also seems a little arbitrary to count Nero but not any of the other dance groups - even if your logic is that one of their members is a singer, The Chainsmokers at least should then count as well! Groups are still groups whether or not they have a singer though.

I didn't count Chainsmokers as they brought in Halsey on their no.1. Nero's number 1 was with their regular singer. If any of the dance groups had an instrumental no.1 then that would count.

+Quote this post
Nimbus
post Oct 14 2019, 06:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,026
Fun stat
Maroon 5, Jonas Brothers, Little Mix, Coldplay all could do it in their next era if the right stars allied.

Probably some unknown group will do it next though

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Oct 14 2019, 06:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
User: 38,591
The turnover of #1s of any type has decreased within the last 4 years. Also isn't Lukas Graham actually a group?

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Oct 14 2019, 06:56 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Well spotted. I have added Lukas Graham to the 2016 list.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Oct 14 2019, 07:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
User: 38,591
There's something in it though - looking at #2s, the last of these by a 'self-contained' group was even earlier: One Direction - Perfect in 2015. Several groups have had #2s since then, but they've all been collabs with other acts.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Oct 14 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
The girl group era for LM is largely over and we will have to wait for a new well supported group to form!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 15 2019, 01:23 AM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Interesting. If we disallow anything that uses a featured artist and also solo singers... it's probably more due to the way hits are advertised right now.

At the moment, the trend is for personalities, global stars, and particularly people seem to like 'crossover songs' right now where one well known name teams up with another, Sheeran's current era influencing that massively.

And that's something you don't get in a single group unless they're a well-known name. No chance some new or even mid-level group is going to make a #1 in this environment. Plenty of groups making music but the truly hyped lot that gets to #1 right now is only going to be these global stars on current trends.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 15 2019, 01:37 AM
Post #12
Group icon
QUOTE(Tones and Iz @ Oct 15 2019, 02:23 AM) *
Interesting. If we disallow anything that uses a featured artist and also solo singers... it's probably more due to the way hits are advertised right now.

At the moment, the trend is for personalities, global stars, and particularly people seem to like 'crossover songs' right now where one well known name teams up with another, Sheeran's current era influencing that massively.

And that's something you don't get in a single group unless they're a well-known name. No chance some new or even mid-level group is going to make a #1 in this environment. Plenty of groups making music but the truly hyped lot that gets to #1 right now is only going to be these global stars on current trends.

I don't think big name collaborations are really that dominant. There were the 3 big #1s from Ed's collab album of course but he'd likely have had at least one #1 if he'd just dropped a solo album instead (I'm still fairly certain a proper solo album would have done better overall for him). Other than that we had Shawn & Camila which, fair, fits your description here, and I suppose also Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus which was just a beast unto itself unconnected to any larger musical trend (and also was by a previously totally unknown artist collaborating with a long irrelevant one hit wonder). The rest have been solo songs and half of those were by previously unknown artists, including of course the biggest hit of the year from Lewis Capaldi. Perhaps he was aided in blowing up by being a funny personality but I don't think 'Someone You Loved' would have been any less of a hit if, say, Lewis was just the lead singer of a group releasing the song. Same applies to 'Dance Monkey' (hell I'd bet a pretty significant proportion of people think Tones And I is the devil a group) and Tones doesn't even have the 'big personality' thing going for her.

The fact that more than half of the year's #1s are solo songs despite collaborations being such a common thing these days is kind of interesting in itself.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 15 2019, 03:11 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I think collabs are what passes for groups now. It's important that the public know people within that group. I also think that Capaldi just wouldn't have been pushed as the lead singer of a group with a band name. For whatever reason, and I'm just guessing based on the evidence, the people who decide hits probably have some focus grouped information that the public connects better with a song if they know the name of the artist directly. Annoying for me as if anything I'm the opposite, I love evocative band names that hint at a group's musical style, but makes some sense.

Applies less to Tones & I, I suppose but she's a new quantity. Of course there are always solo singers and indeed they are more dominant, and every year there are a couple of new breakthroughs into that superstar list. But groups that don't tell you the names of the people involved appear to not be in fashion. Solo superstars getting together and releasing a new hype song to catch the attention of multiple fan groups seems to have filled that space.

I guess my summary would be: there's only a certain amount of weeks at number one in the year which aren't going to be taken up by whichever global superstars are due to release their solo campaign that year. Groups used to get a look in, now it's the testing grounds for new soloists or time for a surprise 'hype collab'.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Oct 15 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I think so yeah!

There was a time when we went ages without a female lead #1 wasn’t there (between Hello and New Rules).

Little Mix could definitely do it with the right track or a Christmas single what’s an original track.

There’ll also be new bands forming next decade who could do it too.

I think we’ll get one in 2020.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 16 2019, 08:42 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
for a new random act with a new random hit, it doesn't matter if you're a solo singer or a band, proof is barely anyone knows that Lukas Graham is a band

but sure streaming has affected fan based-groups that were going straight at #1 on release week thanks to fans multi buying. For instance, Wrestle going to #1 with the 5th single off their debut, Fool Again, that's impossible to imagine this happening now... in a low sales week with no competitions a dedicated fanbase could help achieve a #1, but there is no way they generate enough streams on their own right now... that's something that was much easily achieved with Cd sales than streaming... and thats why the last Westlife single didn't even go top 100

still think a very popular boy or girlband could do it now... we're just in a dry period cos 1D broke up and Little Mix seems to have peaked, and there is no replacement yet

funnily I read something similar for the US, think Jonas Brothers this yer has been the only solo single for a band without features or anything this decade in the US

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Oct 16 2019, 08:46 AM
Post #16
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Magic! and LMFAO also got to #1 in the US with no features this decade.

+Quote this post
danG
post Oct 16 2019, 09:25 AM
Post #17
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Also I think it’s only a matter of time before we get a 1D reunion of some sort (without Zayn and possibly Harry too) which will go number one on hype.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Oct 16 2019, 09:26 AM
Post #18
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
I think Harry will be the one not to rejoin tbh, definitely not for a while at least.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Oct 16 2019, 09:52 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
Where are The Saturdays?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 16 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #20
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Oct 16 2019, 10:26 AM) *
I think Harry will be the one not to rejoin tbh, definitely not for a while at least.

I strongly disagree, it won't happen at all without Harry...!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:49 PM