BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Spice Girls: The Group Singles Rate!, Winner and runner up revealed!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Hide&Seek
post Sep 30 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #41
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,500
   No Gallery Pics

Holler is spoiled by some random man talking through it : ''hollahollahollahollahollacmoan hollahollahollahollacmoan''. Just eurgh.

Mama is a nice tune but the title and lyrics are so corny, that I usually skip it. Do any of them actually call their mum 'Mama' ? It sounds like something you say to a baby when trying to get it to say it's first word.
If WDYTYA had to be a double AA, I'd have paired it with Naked instead.

Goodbye - I gave it the lowest score, but having listened to it a few times since voting, it deserved more. When I think of it , I think of the whiny childlike ''No No No Nooooo'' that runs through it. If that was removed, I'd have given it a healthy 7.

Well done voters - you're getting rid of all the ones that deserve it !
Spice Up Your Life out next please.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 30 2017, 01:15 PM
Post #42
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

These results are going well so far! I want to like 'Goodbye' more than I do because of the sentimentality behind it, but as a song it has just never clicked with me. 'Mama' is probably the biggest loss so far but even then it is the weakest 'Spice' single.

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 30 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #43
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

Wow Jay, way to put me on the edge of my seat. Is it Sunday, yet?

I generally have a low threshold for ballads, I just don't care for slow music most of the time. However, one of my very favorite Spice songs IS a ballad (hasn't been named yet) so that's a bit of a paradox.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 1 2017, 11:44 PM
Post #44
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Sep 29 2017, 01:20 PM) *
'Headlines': I don't really see anything wrong with the video either.

The video is essentially three of them lounging around in their lingerie (while Emma & Melanie C are dressed more conservatively), including a particularly risque outfit for Victoria's solo section. For the majority of the video they're filmed separately (bar a random Geri/Victoria pairing, and the group walking in one after the other at the beginning).

... this is the treatment for a ballad about their friendship, and for the Children in Need charity! It's all just a really odd fit. It's their worst video by miles imo. sad.gif I believe it to have played a big part in the single's failure.

The video should have at least shown togetherness... something along the lines of S Club's Say Goodbye (but more celebratory than sad) would have been far better.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 1 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Sep 30 2017, 12:59 AM) *
BTW Jay great commentaries on these results, keep up the good work.

wub.gif Thank you Sam!

QUOTE(breezyspice @ Sep 30 2017, 11:19 PM) *
Wow Jay, way to put me on the edge of my seat. Is it Sunday, yet?

Ha! More coming asap! *.*

+Quote Post
Scene
post Oct 2 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #46
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Oct 2 2017, 12:44 AM) *
The video is essentially three of them lounging around in their lingerie (while Emma & Melanie C are dressed more conservatively), including a particularly risque outfit for Victoria's solo section. For the majority of the video they're filmed separately (bar a random Geri/Victoria pairing, and the group walking in one after the other at the beginning).

... this is the treatment for a ballad about their friendship, and for the Children in Need charity! It's all just a really odd fit. It's their worst video by miles imo. sad.gif I believe it to have played a big part in the single's failure.

The video should have at least shown togetherness... something along the lines of S Club's Say Goodbye (but more celebratory than sad) would have been far better.

The whole single campaign was wrong to be honest. Voodoo should've led with a video parodying their earlier music videos (in St Pancras Station, desert, 2 Become 1's flashing lights, Spiceworld movie) to capitalise on the nostalgia. That along with digital and CD release being the same week before album release, it probably would've given them a top 5 at least.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 2 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #47

8th Wannabe (8.47)

Highest Scores: 11 (SuperCell) | 10 (all is vanity., Jamesy, JB2o2o, JosephGutierrez, Liam, liamk97, RobBob, SamJudd, Slick, Spiceboy, sugarandspice, THEO., troublepink & VVIP)
Lowest Scores: 3 (PAJ88) | 5 (Fenrik)

'Wannabe' is without a shadow of a doubt the Spice Girls' most iconic song, but BuzzJack have collectively decided that seven of their other singles are better than it - would you agree? This is of course the single that launched the girls, 21 years ago! wub.gif

I think it's fair to say that it's widely regarded as being one of the best/most-successful debut singles in music history - so it's funny to think that the Spice Girls' record label Virgin & their manager Simon Fuller initially had cold feet about the song's commercial potential as their first outing. Instead, they suggested either 'Love Thing' (an eventual 'Spice' album track) or 'Say You'll Be There', feeling they were more mainstream/cool. The outspoken girl group didn't agree - adamant that it had to be 'Wannabe', arguing that it served as a perfect introduction to their personalities and their message of Girl Power.

Thankfully they were listened to, although there were a few more bumps in the road before its release. Their A&R weren't happy with the original version of 'Wannabe' (produced by Matt Rowe and Richard "Biffco" Stannard), feeling that it sounded lacklustre. It was remixed by various American producers to achieve a more R&B and Hip-Hop flavour, but these versions were all vetoed by the girls. Eventually the original version was mixed by audio engineer Mark "Spike" Stent - which is the version we all know and love. Even the music video (shot in April 1996) horrified the label - they were displeased by the gloomy lighting, the clumsiness of the girls, and the fact that it featured old people as extras. Virgin appealed for a reshoot, but once again, the group were steadfast - the video captured "the madness of the Spice Girls", and they were happy with it. Virgin conceded, agreeing to give it a trial airing on music channel The Box to see how it fared.

The reaction to the video was unprecedented. It was requested so many times by viewers that it topped the viewers' chart just 2 hours after its first showing. Airing 70 times a week at its peak, it became the channel's most requested video in its history, and remained as the #1 video for 13 weeks. Singles chart success followed, debuting at #3 on 14th July 1996. It climbed to #1 the following week, and stayed there for 7 weeks. It went on to be the 2nd best seller of the year in the UK, and 21 years later it remains as the most successful single released by a girl group. It's safe to say that the Spice Girls had been proven right to push for 'Wannabe'!

International success followed, and by March 1997 it had reached #1 in 37 different countries - including the US. By the end of 1997, the single had sold 7 million copies worldwide.

The impact of this song can still be felt in 2017 - its view count on YouTube currently stands at 282m, while its Spotify streams have reached 177m - making it one of the most viewed & listened to songs from the 1990s!

What a legendary song tbh. wub.gif "Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want" / "If you wannabe my lover, you gotta get with my friends" / "Slam your body down and wind it all around" / "Zig-a-zig-ahhh"... iconic. *.*

A fun fact to end on: The 'Wannabe' video is widely regarded as having been shot in just one-take, but this isn't actually true. If you watch closely, there are actually cuts. On YouTube, check out the video at 1:24 and 2:46! The pillar and red curtain respectively are cuts. It's particularly obvious at 1:24 because there is a goof - Victoria is shown to run past the pillar twice! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 2 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #48
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

Hmm. I fail to see how "2 Become 1" and "Stop" have placed higher than "Wannabe" but I did give high scores to both of those as well. It's such a classic track and such a pleasure to listen to every single time, my only complaint is that it doesn't last long enough 😍

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Oct 3 2017, 04:35 AM
Post #49
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 1,454

8th? I thought that would be #1.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 3 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #50
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Wannabe cant be 8th!!!

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Oct 3 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

Wannabe is a fantastic song it does get annoying however that it's pretty much all they are remembered for by a lot of people.

That sort of taints it a bit for me as it sometimes feels like the song is bigger than the group itself.

So yes I do love Wannabe and that instrumental is iconic but they had other singles just as good if not better.

+Quote Post
cripesdude
post Oct 3 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #52
New Entry
Member No.: 39,646
   No Gallery Pics

Jay I *love* these commentaries! Even stuff I didn't know and I know a lot!

I was never a big fan of Wannabe from 1996 right up until around 2010? I always found it immature and a bit irritating, and it was Say You'll Be there that got me into the girls. But over the past 5-7 years it's really grown on me. I've come to appreciate it and really understand why it worked and it's iconic status. I have to say though, it's probabaly 8th-10th for me! It launched the girls and encapsulates their arrival... but there was much better to come!

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Oct 3 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #53
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Wannabe is very great so surprised it is out at 8th tbh.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 3 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(cripesdude @ Oct 3 2017, 02:37 PM) *
Jay I *love* these commentaries! Even stuff I didn't know and I know a lot!

wub.gif I'm glad you're enjoying them! I do wonder sometimes how the Spice Girls would have done if they'd gone with something other than Wannabe. thinking.gif

Apologies for the results coming quite slowly... 7th coming tonight!

+Quote Post
JB2o2o
post Oct 3 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #55
New Entry
Member No.: 39,575
   No Gallery Pics

Wannabe doesn't deserve to be 8th.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 3 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #56

'Wannabe' is an iconic song but they bettered it quite a lot of times so I'm not complaining at that position!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 3 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #57

7th Too Much (8.48)

Highest Scores: 11 (PAJ88, breezyspice, lewistgreen & VVIP) | 10 (all is vanity., engineer, Jamesy, Lukuzz, Maurice, Scene, SuperCell & White Mustang)
Lowest Scores: 2 (Fenrik) | 6 (ilovepollo)

'Too Much' places 7th - with a score that is only 0.01 higher than 'Wannabe'! It's the first song revealed that attracted more than 1 score of 11 - four of you consider this to be your favourite Spice Girls single.

Chosen as the second single to be taken from the album 'Spiceworld', the pop ballad 'Too Much' was released just in time for the UK's 1997 Christmas chart. It went straight in at #1 on sales of over quarter of a million copies - thankfully denying The Teletubbies from being that year's festive #1! It was the girls' sixth consecutive #1 single, making them the first act to see their first 6 singles peak at #1. They held this record until Westlife achieved their 7th #1 in a row in 2000. It is also notably their fourth and final US Top 10 hit, peaking at #9.

By the end of 1997, the Spice Girls' success far transcended the music charts. They had become a phenomenon worldwide - striking sponsorship deals with the likes of Pepsi, Cadbury & Chupa Chups, and launching their own official merchandise - including dolls, just in time for Christmas! There was also their film, 'Spiceworld: The Movie', which was released in UK cinemas on Boxing Day (clips from the movie are included in the 'Too Much' music video). For anyone here too young to have known the Spice Girls in their hey day (perhaps some of you weren't even born then drama.gif ), this short clip of the group arriving at the US premiere of the movie is an example of just how huge they were in that moment in time. *.*

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 3 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #58
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

That's about the right placing for "Too Much", I love its use as the intro to Spiceworld: The Movie so much *.*

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 3 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #59
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Yessss. Love both of those, but the songs to come are definitely better wub.gif

Expecting 'Stop' or 'Viva Forever' next! (Which will be the complete opposite to how I feel about the two that have just left �� )

+Quote Post
Jade
post Oct 3 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #60

'Too Much' is my ultimate Spice grower! It was one of their weakest singles for me when I first got into them but it really crept up on me over time, a pretty sultry song that is also classy. I agree with THEO. that its usage in Spiceworld: The Movie was excellent *.* it takes me back to that opening segment every time I hear it heart.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:06 AM