BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month 09, i've got stamina // out of my system + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Oct 12 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Youngr holds steady at #1 this week, extending male acts' stranglehold at the top, a little reflective of how the mainstream UK chart has been this year. He's also only the second act to grab a second week at the summit this year so far. Gaga continues her ascent too, but mainly in absence of any challengers this week, hitting what will likely be a #2 peak. Sia climbs to #3 and Maria Hazell, Noonie Bao and Holychild ascend conventionally into the top 10, while Chainsmokers ft. Halsey smash back in along with a high new entry from Warpaint's new album (linked below). Selected track links, more detail on moves and new entries in the next post; for now, here's the top 40 in full up to the first week and a bit of October:

01 Youngr - Out of My System [16-5-1-1]
02 Gaga - Perfect Illusion [17-4-3-2]
03 Sia ft. Kendrick - The Greatest [22-5-3]
04 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10-3-3-X2-36-23-4]
05 Maria Hazell - Debut [14-5]
06 Noonie Bao - Reminds Me [25-6]
07 Holychild ft. RAC - Power Play [12-7]
08 Warpaint - Above Control [N]
09 Tinashe - SuperLove [3-3-2-9]
10 Drumsound + Bassline Smith ft. Conor Maynard - Catch Me Here [14-12-4-10]
11 Everything Everything - I Believe It Now [37-7-11]
12 The Weeknd - Starboy [N]
13 Britney Spears - Mood Ring [N]
14 Ariana - Into You [17-18-13-X3-32-22-14]
15 AlunaGeorge - Mediator [39-15-9-15]
16 Bastille - Warmth [34-16]
17 Usher ft. Future - Rivals [N]
18 Sleigh Bells - Champions of Unrestricted Beauty [N]
19 Otherside - Blowback [40-19]
20 Kings of Leon - Waste a Moment [27-20]
21 Nakita - Second Chances [16-21]
22 Fred Falke - Its A Memory [15-21-10-22]
23 Brooke Candy - Changes [32-9-8-23]
24 Bright Light - How Does It Feel [23-19-X5-35-24]
25 Møme - Aloha [N]
26 Empire of the Sun - High and Low [28-10-2-1-6-26]
27 James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go [28-27]
28 Janet Jackson - Take Me Away [N]
29 Body Language - Just Let It [N]
30 Dev - #1 [22-8-1-2-20-30]
31 Bear's Den - Red Earth & Pouring Rain [35-X2-38-12-7-11-31]
32 Ingrid Michaelson - One Night Town [30-21-32]
33 Years and Years - Meteorite [38-33]
34 JONES - Wild [N]
35 Warpaint - New Song [20-5-15-36-X1-24]
36 Uppermost ft. Lisa Alma - Talisman [34-16-12-26-10-X1-36]
37 Alice Jemima - Dodged a Bullet [38-15-37]
38 Kid Froopy - bb (four missed texts) [N]
39 Jhene Aiko - Lyin King [N]
40 Carly Rae - Higher [8-13-40]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
Youngr - Out Of My System (2)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Oct 12 2016, 12:32 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 12 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Noonie Bao was the featured vocalist on Clean Bandit’s pre-breakthrough (and fabulous) Dust Clears from 2013. On her own material she’s quite different, on Reminds Me sporting a daring orange do while hitting a MØ-esque indie/alternative sound hard. (Not surprising, as wikipedia tells me she co-wrote Final Song!) This was released earlier in the year but didn’t make more than a blip on my radar at the time. I’ve previously enjoyed Ms Bao’s I’m In Love, Pyramids, and more recently Bodywork Lover, all from her 2012 album I Am Noonie Bao. #6 for this one this week.

Britney Spears with by rights what should be her next single, at #13. Mood Ring is by the same producer of and very much in the vein of Rihanna's Needed Me or even Nothing Is Promised, and very modern, but Britney's team have for whatever reason decided to make it at this point a Japan-only exclusive. The vocal version I had been listening to has been removed from Youtube, so I'm unfortunately only able to link a snippet as part of a dance video this week. Hopefully someone will post an official version and I can update the link.

And its another from AlunaGeorge’s new album. This is basically the ballad of the album; as close as the electronica duo come to a slow jam against their more upbeat usual fare. I’ve enjoyed this on long walks in the wind, on the train and in the evenings. Pity this second album campaign hasn’t really taken off for them (in the mainstream at least), but that seems to be par for the course for anyone not a rising star of pop or established A-list nowadays. Mediator charts at #15 this week as AlunaGeorge’s 4th track to enter my top 40 this year.

In advance of Sleigh Bells’ incumbent return (new album Jessica Rabbit releases Nov. 11th) I’ve been chasing up what they’ve been up to since the quickfire release of albums #2 and #3 in 2012 and 2013. I was a big fan of their debut in 2010 and used to play them a lot at my old job two years ago. Back working there again and they’ve come back to my mind. This is a step back from their usual harcore noise pop with screeching guitars and proto-dub roaring machine samples, with singer Alexis Krauss's voice as the sole holding instrument here. I'm a fan of evolution and departures from a band's signature sound though, even if just for experimentation, and this sits well with me. It doesn't always work (see: Yeah Yeah Yeahs) but this is a positive case. Thumbs up!

Possibly another from BJSC? This has been on my Majestie chillwave playlist (which you can find through following the Spotify link above, if so inclined) since early last year and now sees its time to shine - over the last few months its been threatening to push through – after I finally decided to purchase the track. It features Merryn Jean who Wikipedia tells me is an Australian singer. Apparently this also was a top ten hit in France in 2015. Who knew!

Time for a random one – I came across Kid Froopy as a recommendation on Spotify. I don’t know a super amount about the artist(s) or the song, but it’s a solid tune. Just typical chillwave-styled electronica of the type any weekly readers of my chart will see me displaying a preference for. This is pretty similar to the remixes of 90s tunes by e.g. Brandy and Destiny’s Child that have been pretty popular on youtube over the last 3 or 4 years. Released earlier this year, I can see this getting a push, although probably not until the start of 2017 by now. You saw it here first!

(audio starts at 1.07)

And the return of an old favourite with her first chart entry in 5 or 6 months and probably her 20th or so total since I discovered her around this time two years ago. Jhene, if the world was fair, would be hugely more successful than she is. I could compare her to Solange, probably, as a contemporary a little similar that more people might be aware of. She generally makes chill, cool R&B music with themes similar to what The Weeknd talks about in his music. She’s worked with a lot of alt R&B names and big rappers, including Drake (pre-mainstream explosion), Childish Gambino, Big Sean, and infamously Omarion last year. I much prefer her more chilled out solo stuff in general, though her cool-girl attitude is welcomed too. Well worth checking out, my top Jhene tracks would include The Vapors, Bed Peace, Spotless Mind, and The Worst, if anyone’s interested in an intro.

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Oct 12 2016, 09:16 PM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Oct 13 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter,

Out Of My System still at #1 cheer.gif

Nice to see Aloha enter as well biggrin.gif

Meteorite climbing to heart.gif

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post Oct 14 2016, 05:24 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
Hey Jupiter smile.gif

Sadly I'm not a big fan of Perfect Illusion. I guess I expected a bit more after a big hiatus.

The Greatest is fantastic. Sia has consistently been amazing this whole era so far. I guess we can then David Guetta for getting her into the public eye properly too happy.gif

great chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 14 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #5
Group icon
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Oct 13 2016, 04:47 PM) *
Hi Jupiter,

Out Of My System still at #1 cheer.gif

Nice to see Aloha enter as well biggrin.gif

Meteorite climbing to heart.gif

Great chart biggrin.gif

Thanks Pete! Some gems as you say. Meteorite hasn't quite caught me yet but maybe it'll be a slow climb!

QUOTE(JSG @ Oct 14 2016, 06:24 AM) *
Hey Jupiter smile.gif

Sadly I'm not a big fan of Perfect Illusion. I guess I expected a bit more after a big hiatus.

The Greatest is fantastic. Sia has consistently been amazing this whole era so far. I guess we can then David Guetta for getting her into the public eye properly too happy.gif

great chart!

Thank you! The Greatest is so good. I love how Sia literally released an album of various sounds in pop to see what's popular now, and as soon as she got success, quickly wrote a follow-up of a similar sound. I really admire that from a business POV!

I'm hmm. Still torn on Perfect Illusion (and the second single as well, Million Reasons!). I like it well enough but it isn't as strong as it needed to be for her to start off an era and hit back on top. When did it release, a month ago? It still hasn't yet had enough plays to make it into my top 500 for the year, which is unusual for any anticipated comeback single.

Guetta really helped eh!

I will have to have a look at you guyses charts too! Ta!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:38 AM